Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius vs. Honda Civic Hybrid v. Honda Insight v. ?

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Hey folks - in case you haven't visited our new blogs yet, check out Karl on Cars (Karl Brauer our Editor in Chief) and see the entry about

Toyota Prius v. Honda Civic Hybrid
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8c4a3

You can comment on it there - hey! another place for you to post...

note - if you have autologin/remember me you might have to put the URL in as for some reason clicking on it is giving a redirect to our main blog Straightline http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline
  • I have owned 3 Civics and two Accords, so my shopping started with Honda. The Civic is small for my needs (need the trunk space especially) and the Accord is too expensive, even the non-hybrid. Keeping the Civic in mind with the possibility of hybrid or not, I looked at a Prius.

The Prius had the room that I need and the functionality that I need. Certainly the non hybrid Civic would be cheaper, but it wouldnt have the space that I need. It really was as simple as that. The test-drive went fine and the car met my expectations. Certainly not a dragster, but I am not looking for a muscle car, just a car to commute with. And as I sit in traffic for too long, the Prius made sense as it turns the ICE off.

So, I asked the Honda dealer for a test drive in a non-hybrid Civic. He couldn't produce one in the trim that I was looking at, much less a hybrid. What bothered me is that he then told me that I didn't need a hybrid and that Honda only made hybrids to compete with Toyota.

I then asked the Toyota dealer for a test drive in a Prius. It happened within 3 days. The Prius provides the room that I need; the Civic (hybrid or otherwise) doesnt. Mine is currently on order. Sure, it is more expensive, but it is a better car. As far as the HCH, I didn't like the idea of a belt-driven transmission. I have had some 'negative experience' with Hondas and belts.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    You ought to find a Honda dealer willing to give you a test drive in a HCH. It is much improved over the 05. It is also a very nice looking sedan! I know a few people that have already driven them, but they still prefer their Prius (another forum forbidden to be linked). Can't hurt to try one so that you know for sure you made the right decision. Good luck!!!
  • " ... Accord is too expensive, even the non-hybrid"
    " .. (Prius) Sure, it is more expensive, but it is a better car. "

Based on what you stated, you should not get a Prius, but you should get a LX Accord or Special Editon Accord instead. They are much less expensive to purchase than even the base Prius. If TCO is one of your key criteria, which it appears to be, then the Prius will not pay off!

Your "better car" will end up costing you a lot more!
  • Hmmm.
    Have to think about that one... :confuse:
  • Ok, did some looking and some comparing. My Honda dealer was selling Accord EX (non-hybrid) at $30k, LX at $25k. Other Honda dealers have quoted me similar prices. Granted, the Accord has more room. Still, the price would be a wash. So I will be going with the Prius, if only to have a different model/make of car for a change!
    If you get the Prius..take delivery in Jan to take advantage of the tax credit of ~3k.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Accords are pricey in your neck of the woods! EX I4 Accords sticker for much less than $30k. With that kind of gouging, the Prius would make sense unless you stretch your search beyond the Prius and Accord.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    My Honda dealer was selling Accord EX (non-hybrid) at $30k

That does seem a bit stiff. The 2006 leather NAV version in San Diego, a known Honda gouging location, is right at $26k. By comparison the 2005 pkg 6 Prius is $28,629 locally. The 2006 Prius with leather is going to be a bit more. I would think it would be easier to find an Accord than a Prius also. Good luck in your quest.
    Anyone looking for an 06 Prius should opt out and buy the leather aftermarket. Don't forget the nice juicy tax credit too. 28k turns into 25k at the blink of an eye. Gotta love it!!!
  • calidavecalidave Posts: 156
    should I do the same with the RX400H?
    Leather is standard.
  • I haven't seen many comments on the big price difference. Over $4000 ($3000 after the tax credit next year). I'm thinking about an 06 Prius and looked at an 06 Civic hybrid today (compared it to my 05 Prius).

To each his/her own on looks, but to my eye the Honda is much better looking on the inside. Both have the same cloth arm rests 'mistake' and neither one has rear A/C vents.

The Civic driving position is better becuase of the tilt/telescope wheel and height adjusting seat. The rear seat head room is much better in the Civic.

Width is better in the Prius as is rear leg room. The Civic trunk is tall, but very shallow front to back. The rear seat in the Civic is too low (almost knee in the chest) and it is a low bridge getting into the front of the Civic.

The Honda nav system is far superior. I like the Civic - a lot. BUI, it does not have stability control, xenon lights, or the key stays in the pocket lock system.

Stability control is a must for us, so even though I like the Civic hybrid better than the Prius, it was a no sale. Hopefully the leather seat 06 Prius will have a nicer interior than our 05.
  • cooljwcooljw Posts: 47
    The Civic Hybrid doesn't have folding rear seats because the batteries are located in that space between the seats and the trunk. This is really bad if you surf.

But the Prius is fold down all the way through, so you can stash a surfboard in there. Anyone know how long of one you can fit?

For example, I can fit an 8' board in my 2005 Corolla after pushing the front passenger seat forward. From the looks of it, you should be able to get something even longer in the Prius.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    That wood inside the Prius is 10 FEET long!

JOHN
  • cooljwcooljw Posts: 47
    WOW!!! Now THAT is impressive! :)
    COOL... I just hope you wrap the front of that wood with a towel. Wouldn't want to mar that dashboard. Prius.... a truly incredible vehicle. Gotta love it!!!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Break out the long boards, dude, surf's up! :D

-juice
  • kdlukdlu Posts: 4
    I'd like to get the Clean Air Vechile Stickers to drive in carpool lane but I heard DMV is only issuing 75,000. Does anyone know how many has been issued thus far? I don't know whether to wait til Jan '06 to purchase (for tax credit) or to purchase now and still try to get the sticker. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.