Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Accessories & Modifications

2»

Comments

• I two-toned our red GT and It made a huge difference. I had the top half part painted with the Ford shadow chrome CX paint. I forget the exact name but it a charcoal grey with chrome inside. It matches the dash that came in our car. The interior is black leather with crome dash. We also have the chrom package. I thought I was going out on a limb because of the cost, and since my wife dented the hood after rear-ending an suv, I decided to get it painted right, and went ahead with the two-tone at that time (since the insurance was paying to paint the hood anyway, I just had to paint the remaining top).
  • mrs55mrs55 Posts: 1
    can any one tell me how to set the clock on a 2004 PT cruiser
  • I have a 2005 pt cruiser convertible and am tryiing to figure out how to remove the top dash so I can install the gps antenna for my RB1 radio. Anyone point to any links for this?

Thanks,

Glor
  • Has anyone tried installing a Mod Chip on their PT? I was cruising eBay and I found a few listings for a Mod Chip that is compatible with my 2003 PT Touring Edition (non-turbo automatic). Does anyone have any experience to share? Did it help? Was it easy to install even for someone who is mechanically challenged like me?
  • have you had any answers yet.I have a 2002 i want to get a mod chip too. and a air intake as well,air intake adds another 8 to 15 hp so i'm told. but 250 bucks!!
  • buroskyburosky Posts: 89
    No responses yet. I'm hoping someone could share their experience. eBay also has a lot of listings for air intake for less than $250.
  • ke72spnke72spn Posts: 12
    I have had the GT 5-speed for nearly three years and never experienced this problem. In fact, ousdie from it being a tad notchy, I have had no issues with the shifter.
  • I just purchased the stage 1 turbo kit from my dealer and I got a free blow-off valve. What a great buy! My guy said that it is some kind of special offer that Mopar is doing. I did a little investigation and found a link through a mopar website, offer ends September 30th.

http://www.moparturbopt.com/turbo/main02.html
    :)
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    Just installed a AirRaid cold air intake kit on my '06 5 speed manual (non-turbo). Certainly seems to add some pep, they claim 12hp & 5ft-lb torque increase: (http://www.airaid.com/300-198_chrysler.asp)

Only surprise is how loud it is...easy on the throttle and there is no difference but at wide open above 3000rpm it is really loud, I mean wow loud. That was a bit of a surprise but I think I'm ok with it. I'll see if it'll give me a few more miles/gal.
  • I'd never admit this if the car were still under warranty. I put a jet chip in my Cruiser about a year ago and it has worked fine, though I do not think it really does anything to improve the car's performance or fuel mileage. But then when you have a car with all the power you can use and it get's 24 to 26 mpg at 80 mph, how could you tell? I also have an LCD ODB Code Reader mounted on the dash that tells me real time mpg.
  • I put a Jet module in my 2005 Turbo Convertible at 15,000 miles and with 40,000 miles now I can really see no improvement, if improvement is even possible. The car runs so well anyway that the mod would have to do something significant before it would be noticed, and I have not noticed it. With what I know now I would have saved my money :cry: . ...Bob
  • I have the 2001 Touring Edition. I would like to know if anyone has put smaller tires on the front than on the rear. Does this effect how the car handles? Do you have a photo of a car that has had this done? Thanks Nancy
  • I have a 2007 PT convertable automatic turbo with 7000 miles on it. Getting 17 miles to the gallon on average. I was told by putting a Magnaflow exhaust on I will get better gas mileage by 2 to 5 miles per gallon. Has anyone tried this and does it work.
  • tedebeartedebear Posts: 832
    I was told by putting a Magnaflow exhaust on I will get better gas mileage by 2 to 5 miles per gallon.

Who told you that - the shop that wanted to sell you the exhaust? :D

It's true that better airflow, both at the intake and exhaust, will help the engine breathe easier, resulting in slightly better performance. However, you're not going to see anywhere near a 5 mpg increase by switching to that exhaust.

You might try a Google search for some of the PT Cruiser enthusiasts websites and see what they've done performance-wise to the intake, exhaust and other things. I put a better flowing intake filter in my wife's Cruiser, made the intake box less restrictive and a few other things, by getting ideas off some of those websites.
  • I WANT T0 INSTALL A GRAB HANDLE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WINDSHIELD POST. I HAVE A 2007 TURBO CONVERTIBLE. WANT TO ATTACH THE GRAB HANDLE WITH TWO SCREWS. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING INSIDE THE POST THAT WOULD BE DAMAGED.

THANKS, BILL
  • I have a 2006 PT Cruiser GT Convertible with the 5 speed manual. During wide open throttle the car would have almost uncontrollable torque steer with the front end steering itself alternately to the right and left. I installed a Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace and am happy to report that the torque steer is almost totally gone.
  • I just sold my 2003 PT (base) and it had both the factory deep tint and cruise control. Sad to see the LX didn't have tint or cruise. It will be tinted next week. The dealer (service and parts) said they can add the factory cruise for $425 (in NC). Some shops offer aftermarket units for about the same price, but they have a GM stalk type configuration.

Anyone here have cruise added to a 2007 or 2008? Also, anyone know the % tint that came from the factory on the back door windows and liftgate glass?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike
  • geswho22geswho22 Posts: 1
    I just paid off my '04 PT and I want to convert to burn alcohol (I don't want to pay $6 a gal like it will probably be this summer). If you've read Dave Blume's book Alcohol Can Be A Gas, you know modern EFI engines can run E85 unmodified. I am beginning experimentation with E85, but eventually I want to go 100% alcohol. I need to find either an aftermarket PCM that can be programmed via laptop, or software (possibly hacker) that can view and reprogram the PCM flash memory. Does anyone know anything about either of those? If so, please provide a link to a web site, or other info that could help me. I would much appreciate it. Thanks. :)
  • pt_nickpt_nick Posts: 3
    I am looking for a turbo for my '01 PT. Is there a way to make it a turbo without changing out the whole engine? I was reading about the two engines and it seems like the 2.4 turbo has more to it than just a bolt on turbo.
    There are aftermarket turbos available:
    http://www.impactparts.com/PTcruiser/index.html?target=Turbo_Charger.html
    http://www.jimsperformance.com/pt.html

and superchargers as well:
    http://www.pt-tuning.com/performanceParts/superCharger_Whipple.html
    http://www.revelenterprises.com/pt_cruiser_supercharger.htm
    http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/ptcruiser34/ptcruiser.htm

for the money though...you might want to research the cost of trading for a car with a turbo...or for about $500-600 you could put a nitrous kit on to add anywhere from 25-75hp.
  • Hello, I want to replace the back spekaers in my 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible. Do I have to take of the whole siding to get to the speakers or is there a way to get just the speaker grill off?

Thx
  • I did the same on my 2007 and believe it or not drove from New York to Chattanooga Tenn. with 3 people in the car and the cruise set on 65 when traffic allowed I got 30 mpg 2xs and it hovered around 27 to 28 the rest of the time. Great little car no back aches when going on trips. I installed Bosch Platinum +4 the vehicle definately has more power. Also I had the A/C on for some of the time.
  • Hello!
    My husband's Taurus died and we need a car. We have a St. Bernard and need room for him to come along in the car. We don't have a lot of money and a PT Cruiser seems to be one of the only options. I have read a lot of good but a TON of bad about this car. I just don't know what to do! We are looking at an '07 with 27K miles for just under $10000. We can purchase an extended warranty for up to 75000 miles. Is this a decent car? How does it handle in ice and snow? We live near Kansas City but we're from California so handling in the snow is important for me. I really would appreciate as much advice as people are willing to give. Thank you!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I bought an 07 convertible a few months ago. No problems and I really like the car. One thing regarding snow; the front end of the car is quite low to the ground, there isn't much clearance. If you get deep snow where you live, you may want to consider another car that has higher clearance. Good luck.
  • jokinjay73jokinjay73 Posts: 1
    I am customizing a 2001 pt crusier. I want projector headlights for it but they dont make them for my year but they do for 05-08. now I know the headlights are shaped different I just wondered if I change the fenders so headlights fit will I have to change the hood as well?? Thanks cruise on...">
    edited September 2010
    I posted a message on the PT Cruiser Tires and Wheels thread (message # 59)...easy/cheap mod if you need new tires is to go from the stock 205/55R16 to a 225/50R16...fits the original rims and speedo reads the same. Much better look as I always felt the tires were too skinny.
  • Having my 2006 PT for about 4 weeks I take it on a trip from South Texas up to Dakota. I was constantly distracted (to the point of driving a red light surveillance camera in Sioux City Iowa) by the flashy 4ft silver aerial dancing in the wind as I cruised the interstate. Thinking back to aerodynamics 101 an aerial reduces coeff of resistance up to 2%. Exchanged the 4ft steel for a 6inch radio receiver before leaving Dakota. The reception seemed much the same on the way back to South Texas the only difference went back through Arizona.
    Fuel figures 23.6mpg with 4ft, 26.0mpg with 6inch.
    Can not dispute the figures the $8 modification contributed to!
    It may also save in future traffic violations.
  • : What are the best replacement wiper blades for our vehicles?
2»