Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Stability control or not... I would think that an AWD vehicle with more ground clearance would be "safer and quicker" in snowy areas...

I don't know if the STI comes with all-season tires or summer rubber.. If it is summer rubber, you'll need different tires for winter driving (as you would with the S2000).

If you only have one car... I would think the STI would be the better choice in colder climates.. (have you checked insurance rates?)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• hipoporayhipoporay Posts: 7
    I’m from South California and I bought mine last weekend after researching this model for two weeks.
    Here are some helpful hints :D
    The MSRP is $34600 but almost all the dealers will sell it at invoice. The interesting stuff is that two dealerships agreed to sell it in $29700, which is $1300 below invoice.
    If you want to lease and have high credit score you can get the car for 36m/12K with money factor of 0.0069…this will make monthly payments below $330 (before tax), and minimum drive off (first month + DMV fees)… awesome deal!
    I went with 2005. You can still find dozens of them around the continent. Don’t offer more than $26000, Honda has some hidden incentive to the dealerships.
    This car is a blast! I almost bought MX-5 which is better to drive (I guess because of lighter chassis) but the safety is questionable. I tried the Z4 but it only felt “sporty” where the S2000 is real “sport car”…it reminds me the days of racing Formula Renault in Europe ;)

Good luck.
  • cmcnamaracmcnamara Posts: 3
    Hello!

This is my first time leasing and I was curious on the deal I'm getting.

According to the money factor I'm at preferred credit at .00109 with no down payment or .00099 with one.

2k Total out the door.
    630 of that is "down payment"
    Puts my payments to 395 a month including 7.75 taxes.

He said to get my payments to 350 a month the downpayment would need to be 2084 and a total out the door cost of 3546.98.

I belive the price i'm getting is 31569 a month.

Looking for some help here
    good deal? ok deal?

Thanks
    Doesn't sound like a good deal.
    Which part of the country you are living in?
    I'm in northern california bout 2 hours north of SF our tax rate here is 7.75

So I test drove it today and have new numbers. let me know what you guys think.

1366 out the door of which 595 is acquisition fee, 414 is first month. 357 is doc fee and license fee.

Payments are 384.99 before tax and 414.83 after tax. This is with 0 cap reduction.

By the way i'm in the preferred class which is .00099 or .00109 with no sec deposit.

What do you guys think?
  • hipoporay.

That's a great deal, can you tell us the name of the dealerships that you dealt with in SoCal and which one you ultimately bought from. I'm buying at 2006 soon and would love to get it for $29.7K.

thanks!
  • jgkjgk Posts: 5
    I am in the same boat with you on choices. My son as an STI and has been through a winter in Minneapolis with no problem. He did buy snow tires as the stock ones are high performance dry tires. He as had no problem with the car and it is a hoot to drive. The STI is really a better all around car - reasonable back seat. The S2000 is really a good second car not a principal one.

Jeff
  • jgkjgk Posts: 5
    what do you know about the rebate on 05 S2000. My local dealer turned down 28K
    Paragon Honda at NY sells new 05 (Gray) at 24995. Use it as a bait and see how low they can go. You can also ship the car to CA (~$990).
    Send a quote request to Honda Long Beach. You will get automated answer which offer the car at ~29850. Send this price to 15 dealerships around and you will see that at least two will give you 29700.
    The cap cost is too high at this offer...

What is the lease period (36months?) and the milage per year (12K?).
    The lease is a 36month with 12k per year.

The initial cap rate is .00099 but with no sec deposit its .00109

The reason its a little bit higher is becuase I'm in the preferred rate not the super-preferred.

I'm going to get it tomorrow I think.

1366 out the door 414 a month. 7.75 tax area.

I think its not a bad deal...

whatcha guys think?
    cmcnamara - Its your call, if you feel it is good deal go for it.

However, I calculate the offer based on all of the info and the car is being offered at inv+500. I still think you can get it at inv-1000, so it will slash almost $50 from your monthly payments!
    If you don't have the energy to negotiate at least try to get rid of the 595 bank fee...

Just my 2 cents.
  • car_luvercar_luver Posts: 2
    I am going to be leaving the US for year to work over seas. I plan on purchasing a S2000 as I was given the big ok from the wife but, I am unsure about buying it brand new. Reason why I am thinking about buy a used one is 1) Much lower price compared to new and 2) I know that I plan on doing some mods and would think the cost diference could perhaps be used on other stuff. Is it ok to buy a used one? I realize I will miss out being the first one to drive car and break it in but, wouldn't it be great to just own one too?
  • katana1211katana1211 Posts: 2
    here is the deal. I am from northern cal.

750 drive off (first month payment included)
    420/month tax included. 15k miles/year for 36 month.
    total cost is 15450 in 3 years.
    it is a suzuka blue, i wanted the red one, but wife likes the suzuka. she wins.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Actually, given that you can get a brand new S2000 for around invoice ($31k +/-), the amount you save going used is not that great. From ads I've seen in the washington post, a used 2003/4 with 25+/-k miles is usually listed for around $24k +/-. That's a car that has little or no warranty left and someone else broke in.

Another point. It's your money, but I think the stock S2000, properly broken in, is a damn nice car. At 110hp/liter (120 for the pre 2004's), you are not going to get a lot more performance by "modifying" the car. I think I even read an article where the supercharger that claimed to produce 300hp showed no improvemetn in acceleration.

Modify an S2000 at your own risk. The dealer I bought mine from won't accept one that's been modified in trade and most sell for substantially less than their factory counterparts. No one wants to buy a car from a boy racer. And the bolt on aero kits simply bastardize a good design. Think about that, if only for your future resale.
  • car_luvercar_luver Posts: 2
    Thanks for your response. I wouldn't dream of ever selling it once I got one. This is a car for life. And I wouldn't ever change the looks of a great looking car to begin with. Any mods that I would do would be under hood, and possibly the sound system. Haven't heard great things about the stock. The year S2000 I was looking into would be a 2003. I actually like the 9000 RPM as opposed to the '04+. And I was thinking that 03 would be a good deal when I get back to the states in May'07.

In case I don't hear back from anyone before I leave country tomorrow, I just wanted to say God speed and may you all enjoy your S2000's with a grin from ear-to-ear.
  • njexpressnjexpress Posts: 170
    Hi,
    I bought mine preowned but this was only after the first deal (for a preowned) with a dealership fell thru. Turns out Honda cancelled their warranty on the car due to transmission abuse when the vehicle was still at 5000 miles, after replacing the transmission as a goodwill gesture. Even my mechanic couldn't find the issue (I mean, He is really good, usually). The problem came to light when he identified issues with rear diff. and told me to tell the dealer to get it fixed (2004, under "Full warranty", per the dealer ad..)The vehicle had modified intake and exhauasts but Honda confirmed that that was NOT the reason why the warranty was cancelled. When I next spoke to the original dealer who sold it to the first owner again, "It was a genuine case of abuse and they had to be careful in their cancellation of warranty, considering possible repurcussions from the manufacturer" per the records maintained at their end. Honda AND the dealership were very helpful. The dealer who was selling me the car didnt say a word, naturally.
    If you are getting a preowned, give Honda a call and try to make sure you have as much of history as possible on the vehicle (They will give you the name of the dealership and you call call the dealer in turn to see if it was serviced by them). Carfax just doesn't cut it under such circumstances.
    With the vehicle I bought, I am the third owner and the person I bought it from seemed knowledgeble and techy, did his oil changes himself and seemed genuine. I took the car to my mechanic and explained the issue on the first vehicle and after a very careful look, he gave it a thumbs up. I did get a good deal on an '02 with a hard top, ingen cold air and grille inserts (decent looking, no punky stuff which made me feel better)
    I did have to go with an element of trust considering what happened on the first deal, but so far, except for hard shifting on the second gear (common in S2Ks) and some squeaks on the passenger side when riding over ruts, I have no issues.
    I agree with Habitat1 - Exercise caution if it looks boy-racerish!! Odds are, It will not have been broken in properly!! The first car did (Tin can exhuasts with an ultra loud note, modified sound etc.. But I had to suck it in since I was determined to buy used since this was my third car and the price was too good to be true). Modifying it yourself is one thing, and you would know if you are going to use it or abuse it, so, Power to you !!!

I wish you luck. Make sure you do your due diligence and you won't go terribly wrong.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,159
    Seriously, if you want to improve the tranny feel, try GM synchromesh HF. I had it put in mine and even on the coldest days, the gearbox is smooth as silk with no grind (barring I don't manhandle it into gear for the first couple of shifts). It is awesome stuff.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I had a 2002 and in 19k miles never experienced ANY shifting roughness or grinding in any gear. It was smooth as butter under all conditions, without any additives.

I had researched this issue before purchasing. For the 2002 model, Honda made some transmission modifications to address 1st and 2nd gear grinding that had occurred in the 2000-2001 model.