Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• matthew8matthew8 Posts: 2
    Hello quick question... i am also interested in purchasing a new s2000 but one of the main reasons i havent yet has been the lack of a navigation system option. I noticed in your e-amil you referenced an interface device to tie aftermarket stereos to the left handed audio controls.... do you have any internet links to any of these devices???

thanks

matt
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    http://lucidauto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LA&Category_Code=dc

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm

The one from Lucid is hard wired and the PAC is IR.

I use my Garmin GPS-V or 276c in the S - just sit it on the console between the radio and the shifter - works just fine. But I only use it on trips, not for driving around town.

Check over at www.s2ki.com in the audio forum I am sure someone has installed one of those in-dash stereo/GPS things in an S.

Dennis
  • matthew8matthew8 Posts: 2
    great advice and info dennis!!!

thanks
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,173
    '04 leftover! The dealer had two of them, one red one yellow with 1000 miles on each. Got it for 27k... :D :D :D :D :D
    Hard to think they would lose so much on a sale - I wonder if Honda didn't shoot the dealers some cash to help move the left overs off the lot?

You CAN get a new 05 without the "demo miles" for $30k including destination and dealer fees.

Congrats on the new car - and you got the right color! One good thing about the demo miles is no torture waiting to VTEC the motor :-)

Dennis
  • I live in a pretty competitive market area when it comes to cars and homes actually. I know you can get an S2 for about 300 over actuall net cost (including holdback) which would put you about 700 back of invoice. If you're thinking of doing it, there really isn't a better time than now. The money factor is great and I believe it expires on July 5th. Be sure to find a dealer with plenty of inventory, or they are likely to push an older unit on you with possible lot damage.
  • kouklakoukla Posts: 2
    I'm in San Diego, just bought a 2005 S2000. Looking for Lojack vendor. Dealer wanted $1,000 for it installed. Can anyone recommend where I could get Lojack? (If I'm in the wrong forum, apologies, please let me know where I should go.) Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,667

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The lease special seems to have done the job, the June number are out

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2001?mid=2005070148995&mime=asc

and S2000 sales for June 2005 were 972 units, up from 629 for June 2004. Total of the year is now at 3,945 still a little behind the 4,238 for YTD for last year.

One of the 972 was mine - I traded my 2001 S for a new 2005 S. The dealer gave me enough on the trade to buyout the lease (7 months left) so no negative equity to roll into the new one and nothing out of pocket to get out of it. Then they sold me the new car for $30,000 including dest and dealer fees. Needless to say, I am a happy camper!

BTW, they are selling my trade in CPO - with less than 18k on the clock it should make someone a nice car for a less than new price.

Dennis
  • Just purchased new 2005 S2000 at dealer invoice. (Of course dealer gets holdback). Not too bad - car is brand new 0-10 miles right off the truck. No other trade-in or financing involved. I have my own financing.

This is a great value if you asked me for what you get performance wise. I don't yet have kids so now is my time for an impracticle car like this. Keeping my other car to get through winter here - then I will sell it next spring. Will have to get snow tires for the following winter if my daily driver. . . . Good luck to all.
  • Dealer has two S2000's that we've looked at. Please help me decide which is a better deal. There is a used 2004 with 475 miles, that has not been titled (we'd be first owner I guess). Their best offer is 28,900.
    Then, there is a new 2005 with 150 miles, MSRP is 33,500 and they will go down to about 30,000.

I'm thinking the 05 is a better deal. Although I like the color of the 04 (silver with red/black interior), I have never let the color influence me out of a good deal.

The last choice, of course, is that neither of these is a GOOD deal, and that I should wait until the weather gets a little worse here in Chicago, and make them another offer. Any help appreciated!!
    $30k for the car including any dealer fees is a good deal. I have heard of a little lower prices, but not by that much. Invoice is $30,409 and there is a little over $1,000 in hold back, so bottom line dealer makes nothing price would be $29,400 or so. Most dealers don't want to deal into hold back at all, but some will to move a car (like a convertible once summer is over).

If you like the car, I would guess without some money from Honda to clear out the 05s you might at most save a few hundred dollars. See how little that changes your payment (if financing) and you might decide to go ahead and deal now so YOU get to drive your new S before the weather gets cold. Sure, you might save a little if you wait but then have to drive around with the top up and the heater on.

The supply of S2000s at dealers who deal is probably getting low with the cheap lease deal they have. One place I know in KY still has a couple (a black and a silver, I think) and they will do $30k and maybe a little less.

The 04 is out, just too little of a discount for a full model year older car.

The new 06 S2000s will have stability control (a much needed feature), different seats, steering wheel, and wheels (and some other changes). The other big news is the 06 will have a 36/36k bumper to bumper warranty but will have a 60/50k powertrain warranty. So if you are going to wait, just wait and get a new 06 (but you may have to pay more).

Dennis
  • Dennis,
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I think I agree about the 04, that's probably out. I did not know that information about the 06's, I must have read the wrong info. Stability control really might be worth waiting for. Thanks again!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    The "new" 2005 has 150 test drive miles. I've gone on record before stating that the S2000 is not a car that you want some bozo redlining in the first 1,000 miles. I would have great concern that a car with 150 miles on the odometer is likely to have found it's way into the hands of at least one or two such bozo's.

I think you can find brand new S2000's with 2-10 delivery miles on the odometer. I was offered a new Silverstone/Black w/4 delivery miles, still wrapped in plastic for $30,000. Shop around if you are interested in a 2005.

Lest anyone think I am overly anal about test drives, I am considering a 2005 Boxster S with 91 miles on the odometer without any reservation. The 3.2 liter, 7,200 rpm engine in the Boxster S requires much less coddling during break in than the Honda S2000. The early premature V-teching of the S2000 has been shown to have adverse consequences on long term performance. Same goes for being overly aggressive with an M3. But Porsches can be driven pretty much to their limit out of the box.
  • Any symptoms or issues that crop up on a vehicle that hasn't been "babied properly"? My 04' that I bought back in June had 1200 miles, and I used the exterior and interior appearance as well as tire wear for a judgment before I bought. But maybe I am missing something? Just curious.

Got the first oil change done at 3,000 miles. Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Lovin' every minute of driving the car!
  • Oh, before I bought, I drove (and almost purchased) an 05' with 10 miles on the odo. Both the 05' and my 04' feel and sound exactly alike. Now like a "good boy" :) I drove the 05' gently and didn't rev it out during the drive, but over the course of the test drive (approx. 10 miles) it felt no "tighter" than the mine. Unfortunately, had I known that break in on the S was so sensitive, I would have spent the extra $$$ on the 05 and did the proper break in myself, but maybe I got lucky?
    I would not worry about it. Folks all the time are saying on this car or others not to buy ones with any miles on them. Face it, if they never let folks test drive them they would never sell any. USUALLY most dealers treat the S different that other cars - no free rides, just a qualified potential buyer and they have someone ride along. The car comes with a 3/36 warranty and surely any ill effects would show up before then.

Someone could have redlined the 05 car just after it came off the truck in those 10 miles - so who is to say the 05 would have been "better"? Now, if you didn't get a nice discount then the 05 will always be worth more ($1,500-2,000) just being a model year newer - but if you saved enough up front then no big deal.

My first S was an 01 I picked up barely used and I really didn't have any problems with it and traded it for a new 05 a couple of months back.

While we would all like 0 mile cars the reality is that most of us will not get one every time - unless we go to a lot of extra trouble and expense to get one, and I am not convinced it is worth the trouble or expense.

Dennis
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,599
    They come off the trucks with 4-6 miles usually. The tech who does the PDI has to drive them so they have at least ten miles on them.
  • I was under the impression from Honda and their dealers that there were going to be no 2006 model for the S2000.

This was in a MotorTrend article. What is your source? They all have but introduced all the 2006 models minus one...the S2000. Because I would hold out for the 2006 or better yet get a better price for the 2005.

Thanks in advance.