Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Okay, more follow up to my story about the 2007 S2000 with the dashboard defect.

Well guys, apparently Honda Customer Relations watches this forum & other Honda forums like a hawk, because the lady with whom I spoke from Honda Customer relations I previously mentioned called & expressed her discontent with my posts here & in other forums, questioning Honda Customer Relations services. (Maam... if you're reading this, I am not trying to target you personally, but rather the process to which I am subjected to, & the threat from your supervisor that the warranty may not be covered, since the big isolated voids under the dash could've been caused by me cleaning the dashboard with Armor All)

The vehicle was installed with a new dashboard (no voids!), & I picked it up yesterday. The dashboard was replaced by Honda, but in the process there are some resultant scratches on the top of the instrument cluster, plus there are clearly gaps & looseness between the dashboard & the cluster itself. It is not well integrated as when I first purchased it. After I picked up the vehicle yesterday, I stopped into look at a new S2000 on the lot & took note of the obvious fit differences. The cluster will now be replaced due to these scratches, per the Service Adviser, but I am just told by Customer Relations (lady I mentioned above) that I should not expect the fit to ever be factory condition, no other adjustments could be made, & that the case will be closed.

To Honda Customer Relations:
    My car today has 1200 miles on it. I brought the defect to Honda's attention when the car had been driven barely 3 days. I don't enjoy this experience. In fact, I am under a lot of stress because of this, having to deal with this process of trying to get the new car properly fixed. And if it remains improperly fixed, I expect that Honda to honor the warranty until it is properly fixed.

Luckily, Honda of Thousand Oaks have been EXTREMELY helpful & supportive throughout the ordeal; so far, I still can't say the same about Honda Customer Relations. So if Honda of Thousand Oaks is reading this, I want to take the opportunity to thank them for their professionalism & sincerity.

Thanks to everyone for listening! I'll keep you posted as things develop.
  • drewpadrewpa Posts: 2
    I'd like to share my recent buyer experience with you. I just bought a new 2006 S2000 from Scott Honda in West Chester, PA. This is the fourth Honda I've bought from them since May 2004, and I've been very happy with the car-buying experience there.

Before I shop there, I get quotes from other dealers in the area. Scott does not seem to participate in the various "get an online quote" services, including the one at Edmunds, but it's the closest Honda dealer for me.

They have had a leftover 2006 S2000 on the lot for a while now, and I've been going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. I finally decided to do it on Saturday, 12/30.

Here's the final deal:

MSRP: $34,600
    Invoice: $31,228
    Mfr to Dealer Support - $750
    Sales Price: $30,222
    Taxes: $1813.32
    Tags & Dealer Doc Fees: $142.15
    Total Out-the-door: $32,177.97

I feel like this was a pretty good deal. Any thoughts?

Drew
  • mt99mt99 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 in December and gave $29,000. That is not too bad of a deal for you given the taxes in SC are only $300 which would make the totals just about equal.
  • Drew - If I recall, they had black and silver leftover 06's. I've heard wonderful things about Scott Honda. Being a Wilmington, DE resident I decided to purchase a black S2000 from Union Park in Wilmington, DE. Purchased on Dec. 26 for 28,500 including Musiclink. Purchased hardtop after sale. I didn't want to pay 2.75% tax. Hardtop due to arrive 1/17. I couldn't be happier with this decision. What a fantastic vehicle!

Congrats on your new whip!!!
  • i saw one in san antonio at gunn honda it was yellow with 25k miles and was like 24 or 25k....while i was picking up my pilot.
  • drewpadrewpa Posts: 2
    Khanderton - You're absolutely right - Scott Honda did have a silver (now mine!) and a black leftover '06 s2000. We have been very pleased with Scott Honda - have bought a 2004 CRV, 2006 CRV, 2006 Civic and now the 2006 s2000 there.

It sounds like you got a great deal. How do you like the Musiclink? I have heard mixed opinions about its usefulness, but I've been thinking about getting it installed. Also - tell me about the hardtop - are you glad you got it? What did that cost? I looked into it a little bit, and it was hard to find any good info on it - is $3000 the list price?

By the way - I love the car. We've been lucky enough to have some great weather here in the Philly area in the 3 weeks since I bought the car, and it has been a blast riding around the country roads in the area - it has all the handling I had hoped for, and more! Alas, the weather has turned, and we have snow and salt on the road, so the s2000 is taking a winter nap for now.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "Also - tell me about the hardtop - are you glad you got it? What did that cost? I looked into it a little bit, and it was hard to find any good info on it - is $3000 the list price?"

I had a 2002 S2000 for 2.5 years and 19,000 miles. Did NOT buy the hardtop after getting (good) advice from several fellow S2000 owners. Some factors in the decision were (1) although light and relatively easy to take on and off, it is a bit of a pain to store. (2) Having it on defeats the spontaneity of droping the top, even in cool weather. (3) It's not highly sound insulated and some thought it made the interior too loud - i.e. like an echo chamber.

I drove a lot of my 19,000 miles in the fall, winter and spring months in DC with the top down. With the tight cockpit and good aerodynamics, I found 45-50 degree weather to be bearable with the heater set at the "torso" setting. As you are hopefully aware, the S2000 is a terror to drive in even 1/2 inch of snow. So what the hardtop gives you is a little more comfort when the weather is cold, but the roads clear. Not a lot of return on investment, in my opinion.

One S2000 owner that got one, offered to sell me his top for $1,250, since when he was selling the car, no one wanted it.
  • In order to save a couple grand, I was looking at used 2005's with low miles in the Wash, D.C area. Low miles probably indicate (at least to me!)that the car was not used for daily commuting. Internet pricing seems to be around $26 thousand. However, if a left over new 2006 can be had for $29 grand, I may need to adjust my thinking. Anybody had any purchase experience in either Northern VA or suburban MD with left over 2006 or late model used?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    The good and bad news is that the S2000 has excellent resale value. Great if you buy a new one, but you won't save a ton of money going used, and you give up the opportunity to have broken in the car yourself.

I traded my 2002 S2000 for $22,500 when it was 2.5 years old, with 19k miles. I could have sold it privately in the DC area for $24-25k, if I wanted to go through the hassle. If you are looking at a 1-2 year old S2000 and only going to save $3,000 to $4,000 (10-15%), I'd go new, and get the full 3/36 warranty. A full set of tires alone will run close to $1,000 and will likely be needed around 20k miles or sooner.

Lastly, if we were talking about an MDX, break-in is no big deal. But on an S2000, proper break in is crucial to long term performance. That alone to me is worth a lot. When I bought my current 911S Cab, I shopped like a maniac to find a dealer (Baltimore) that gave me $10k+ off the MSRP on a brand new car. But I would have required double that discount, to take a used one or demo with even 1,000 miles.
  • "How do you like the Musiclink?"

Musiclink w/ the Honda TTS Software is pretty cool. The software allows you to search for music by Playlist, Artist, Genre, & Album using text to speech commands over the radio. Choose your mode, then listen for a category, and then select it. 10x better than just a plain old Aux in IMHO.

"Also - tell me about the hardtop - are you glad you got it? What did that cost? I looked into it a little bit, and it was hard to find any good info on it - is $3000 the list price?"

Paid $3000 online and had it shipped to Honda dealer for install. Honda billed me for 2hrs for install at $85/hr. I'm sure a body shop could do it for less, but since the part is OEM, I wanted Honda to be responsible. I love the hardtop. It looks fabulous inside and out. Feels like a coupe for the winter months. Also it significally improves the blind spot on the drivers side. It may be pricey, but I highly recomend it. :shades:
  • Thanks for the feedback. What you say makes a lot of sense. Think I'll forget about used and work on the best new deal I can find.
  • Well, I found a new 2006 for $29,000 over the weekend. I'm now the happy owner of a silver S2000! Can't wait for warmer weather.
    Congratulations on a great deal. I paid $32,000 for a 2002 in November of 2001, drove it for 2.5 years and 20k miles and traded it for $23,200, which I consider an very good deal for a lot of fun. Given your purchase price, you will likely do quite a bit better.

By the way, were there 2007's available and, if so, what were they asking on those?
  • Thanks. I was happy with the price. Had another offer for $29,300 so the dealers seem motivated to move the remaining 2006's.

There are 2007's available. Since there are no differences between the 2006 and 2007, and I tend to keep cars a long time , I didn't seriously price a 2007. At $29,000 I had reached about the limit of what I was willing (and able) to pay for a car I won't be driving every day.
  • I work at a dealership and leases are not always a bad deal they just usually are. You just have to negotiate the deal as you would a purchase. Look at actual residual values, not the ones the dealer gives you, then add up your total payments and money down, then see if its a good deal. Remember to ask about their dint and ding policy because some are atrocious. It is ridiculous to think that someone would drive a car for several years and not get a scratch on it. If anyone in the Dallas area needs any help at all let me know, no one can beat me on a deal, period.
  • acceleratoraccelerator Posts: 136
    John Jackson,

What dealership do you work at? I'm in the market.
  • rujorujo Posts: 132
    The latest CarDeals newsletter (www.checkbook.org) reports $2000 dealer cash incentives on 2007 S2000's.
  • I keep hearing about people getting new S2K's for 29K + fees, and I am wondering if anyone can recommend a dealership in or around Colorado that is making these great deals. I want to lease for 36 months with 0 down, and open to 48 months, if it makes sense.

With the current S2K promotion the best deal I have been able to get so far today is:

0 down, 36 month lease, 12k per year, $470 month + tax
    0 down, 48 month lease, 12k per year, $430 month + tax

Price of vehicle: $30,787.16

These payments are based on Honda Finance leasing, with super preferred tier.

If I can get the car at Invoice - $2000 + $595 lease acquisition fee = $423.66 + tax, I would lease it right away. Anyone know where I can get a deal like this? Thanks in advance for any input.
  • tonyr313tonyr313 Posts: 13
    2007 black s2000, i was offered a lease deal of $5000 out of pocket at signing and $320/month for 36 months @ 12k miles/year. includes all taxes, fees, etc. the cap cost i worked was invoice less 1800 i believe (leaving the dealer the extra 200 from honda). good deal?
    Does not sound like a good deal in my opinion. What price did you negotiate, do you have good credit, do you have a trade-in?
    I agree with accelerator, does not sound like a good deal. I'm a buyer, not a leasor, but here's my analysis:

You are paying $16,520 for three years / 36k miles of use on a car that you could buy outright for $29,000 + taxes. I bought a 2002 S2000 in November 2001 and traded it in May 2004 w/ 18,000 miles for $23,200. If you actually keep the car for 3 years and put $36k on it, you might not get that on resale, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't get at least $20-$21k, probably more. Meaning that if you buy or $29k and (guessing) your taxes and fees are $2k for a total of $31k, you should be able to drive the car for three years for a total of around $10k in depreciation.

I'd buy under that scenario.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,169
    I agree... maybe not the best lease deal... but, that comparison doesn't factor in finance charges..

To do an even comparison, you have to assume that you are borrowing the purchase price, less any downpayment. Even with that, I'd buy as well..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

For Financing, not Leasing:

I know how to figure Tax but what about the Title, License, and other fees... is there a precent ratio or a dollar amount that you can figure? Typically, I use 10% of the selling cost to account for TTL and other fees.

e.g.:
    In Texas, the tax is .0625%
    so if a car sells for $20,000
    Sales Tax: $20000 * .0625 = $1,250
    Title/License/Other Fees: $2,000 - $1,250 = $750

Does this work for you guys?
  • This is correct. I found out about the dealer cash through the Costco buying program while we were purchasing an Accord for my mother in law. Costco requires the dealer to pass any factory to dealer incentives to the customer. Thus, the Costco pricing in the Chicagoland area on an '07 was Invoice plus $250 minus $2,000... worked out to $29,855 I believe.

I think some dealers are willing to sell at invoice less the $2,000 or even willing to cut into holdback if they have lots of inventory. Unfortunately when I purchased my S2000 a couple weeks ago I was unaware of the $2k incentive (not listed on the Edmund's page of incentives for the car, whereas the $750 for the Accord is listed), so thought I was getting a good deal at about invoice less holdback (~$30,400). I knew they were still making money on me somehow, but had no idea it was $2000... Lesson learned, always check with the Costco dealer first, even if they don't have a single car on the lot.
  • lazybotlazybot Posts: 7
    Edmunds doesn't show any for the S2k.

But it looks like there's at least $2000 available. Is that Marketing Support?

Honda Dealer Holdback is only 3% of MSRP.

Any other discounts out there?
  • 23109vc23109vc Posts: 218
    i've run through these "should i buy" or "should I lease" scenarios over and over.

if you get a good enough lease deal...you have the ability to play the "market" so to speak. if at the end of the lease, the car is worth MORE than your residual - then buy it. you could techincally then sell it privately and make a buck or two. if the car is worth LESS than the residual, turn it in.

here is why leasing is attractive to me. to buy a new car -given the prices of cars - most people can't afford to finance them over 3-4 years. i bet MANY people are doing 6+ years financing. then the car depreciates, and when they are 3 y ears into their car they are LUCKY if they have broken even...they may still be upside down.

the cars warranty has now expired, and now you are making car payments on a car AND you are making repairs.

why not just get a good lease term, and know what you car payment is. the car is under warranty - your only expense is gas, tires, brake pads, and the payment. when the lease is up you turn it in. no timing belts, no water pumps, no clutches, no nothin'.

if you only keep the car three years and you BUY - you'd need to buy a car that REALLY holds it's value - to not wind up upside down if you buy and do traditional financing with little to no money down.
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    With the lease you lose the acquisition fee, which I think with AHFC is $595 - you have to factor that in to the lease VS buy numbers.

The S2000 HAD strong resale value - so the 2001 I got used for $24,500 brought me $19,500 trade in for my 2005 after 2+ years and 15k miles of driving. You can't count on that type of return NOW - they are just too plentiful on the used market and Honda can't sell the new ones without lease deals and/or dealer incentives. I got my 2005 almost 2 years ago for invoice including dealer fees - and they gave me what I wanted for the 2001 and Honda leased it to me for less than 2% MF. Can't hardly beat that. If I had purchased the new S, it would be a lot more money out of pocket each month and at a much higher rate - even with the acq fee factored in.

You have a choice at lease end, buy for residual, turn in, or sell it (via a dealer) to someone else if it is worth more than residual. You can also sell it to a dealer or even trade it in at any time for no harm IF the current lease buy out is less than or equal to the market value. Back when the resale was strong, this was just about any time during the lease :D

With the current $2k dealer money, but high "normal" lease rates you either need to do a 3rd party lease or just do a purchase.

Sales hurl and are getting worse - even with the $2k dealer money. I expect to see either more money and/or the return of the cheap lease.

BTW, depending on which price guide you use the current buy out on my 05 lease is within $200 of trade in value. So if they bring back the cheap lease, I might be able to upgrade without any negative equity. I would not do it with the current high rate - even with $2k under invoice.

Dennis
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    These numbers are:

April 07, April 06, % change, YTD 07, YTD 06, % change.

S2000 533 645 -10.5% 1,378 1,987 -30.6%

Even with the $2k dealer money they only moved 533 cars last month, down 10.5% from last year. YTD is even worse, down nearly 31%.

Either more dealer money, cheap financing/lease, or both may be coming this month?????

Dennis
    Honda S2000 sales are down, but, as best I can tell, it appears that so is production/supply. There are a couple of Honda dealerships I pass regularly and they have fewer S2000's sitting on their lot than the did several years ago when the car was selling for MSRP or above. It's the classic Boston Consulting Group strategy of turning your "star" into a "cash cow".

In some ways, it's a testiment to the S2000 that it could be introduced in 1999 and still be considered a highly competitive serious sports car in 2007 with only a few minor changes in the intervening 8 years. It's too bad Honda as a company wasn't more committed to the sports car segment. Had they continued to develop and upgrade the S2000 the way Porsche has with the Boxster, they would probably still be selling them at full MSRP+. It's kind of hard to get the press to continue to gush over the S2000 when an 8 year old road test is still current.

Personally, in the words of Neil Young, I'd rather see the S2000 "burn out" with a big final year model push than "fade away" with scaled back production, rebates and lethargic sales. The NSX suffered an undignified death as well. Seems that Honda/Acura did great in producing two superlative cars, but lost focus/interest in the later stages of their lifecycle.
    Hey Dwynne,

I know you and I have been chatting regularly here so I wanted to run this by you....

Two scenarios
    1) 2003 Red S2000 with less than 3000 miles and is in pristine condition with an asking price of $23,999. I can probably get them to come down 500 but I imagine that would be it.

2) 2006 Laguna Blue with less than 4500 miles and it too is perfect, no blemishes, tires still have the little "strings" on them. No rubber stuck to the wheel wells, etc. Very well taken care of care (customer broke 3 year lease, 2 years early and I verified it). Asking $25,250 through a wholesaler. I might be able to get him to come down $500 but I really doubt it; we haven't discussed numbers yet.

My question is which is the better deal/value? Blue is my preference but red is my second choice. I wont be auto crossing. And the 2006 has the VSA, 2 cup holders ;) and is still under warranty. The 2003 has the infamous 9k red line and stiffer suspension, and cheaper to insure. I've talked with many many many s2000 owners and the ones that have taken care of their cars have all had the same result with excellent quality so I'm not toooooo terribly concerned about the warranty. I'm thinking the 2006 would be best for me but monthly payment is higher... oh what to do... I'm waiting until tomorrow (05/03/2007) to see if Honda announces any new incentives and if they do, then there may be a 3rd option to consider. :cry:

My salesperson did say the manufacturer to dealer incentive ($2000) has been extended but he didn't say how long. Has Honda ever done both an dealer incentive AND a lease incentive concurrently? My dealer is passing the incentive to the customer.

You may have to fish through my ramblings to figure out what I'm asking. ;)
This discussion has been closed.