Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Explorer Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• terplawterplaw Posts: 1
    All,

I'm shopping for a '04 Explorer XLT w/ 3rd Seat & Rear A/C. Here's what I got back from one dealer:
    '04 Wedgewood Blue XLT 4.0 V6
    w/ Graphite Leather Seat
    Running Boards
    Safety Canopy
    Rear A/C
    Roof Rail X Bars
    3rd Row
    $27060 +TTL & 100 fee.

Any feedback would be welcomed.
  • dan1dan1 Posts: 76
    You might want the V8, sure the v6 has better rated gas milage but you may have to give it more gas to get it moving. If you are not going to tow anything and don't have a heavy foot like me the V6 may be fine.
  • drush9drush9 Posts: 1
    If the Explorar and the Mountaineer have the same ratings in gas mileage, then the v-6 gets 15 city and 19 highway. the v-8 gets 15 city and 19 highway. (just checked two different stickers - same car, different engines). however, i have heard from our service department that people are getting better gas mileage in the v-8's due to the weight of the vehicle. you have to remember, the more vehicle you have, the more power it takes to push it.
    See I just assumed the V6 was rated higher I always try and get the biggest motor anyway. I think re-sale may be a consideration also, having just purchased our Explorer I noticed some difference in pricing between the V6 and V8 models.
  • ajdajd Posts: 6
    Since Ford is now offering $5,000 cash back or 0% financing which is great news to hear on all 2004 Explorer (which means they are sitting on a load of Exporer that they have to get rid of). Now since all salesman are starting off at MSRP, how much of a percent of the MSRP price can you reasonable tell the saleman that the MSRP price should be discounted as the 2005's are ready to come in October. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!
  • wilkichwilkich Posts: 52
    Without going item by item, it seems to me that the Explorer Limited and the Mountaineer Luxary are comparably priced. But the Mercury has a nicer interior. Is there any reason to buy the Limited over the Mountaineer?
    Wilkich we went back and forth on that. We drove two new Mountaineers and a new Explorer before we bought a used 03 Exp. Limited. The only difference I could see was more sound proofing material and a little more upscale interior in the Merc. We liked the exterior of the Exp. better. What it really came down to is we came across the Explorer we bought before the Merc.
    I did a lot of price checking on used Merc's and Explorer's and I don't think you would pay any more for a compairable Merc.
  • crw2crw2 Posts: 4
    I got a quote of $29600, including $5400 in rebates from a dealer in Maryland for a V-6 Eddie Bauer Explorer. MSRP on the truck is $38345. The 'official' invoice he pulled out showed $34997, so I am right at that number. In fact he had the sale all written up, and the finance rate came in a little higher than I planned, so I walked, to go re-figure my numbers, after spending 2.5 hours at the dealership.
  • saintsaint Posts: 4
    just bought a 04 xlt- leather, running boards, prem cd cassette, moon roof, and paid right around 26,ooo. Was planning on buying a honda oddessy but at this price it was to good to pass up. I think and hope I got a deal.
  • my3sonsmy3sons Posts: 3
    My wife and I have been doing a lot of research on Mid-sized SUVs and find the MM very attractive. We have seen a lot of dealer incentives etc. on the 04. But we are specifically trying to find a new 03 so we can get a better deal. Any one have any ideas? We would be willing to travel to make the deal happen and drive back home but it's gotta be well worth the difference of buying an 04.
  • dallas1dallas1 Posts: 1
    We have just started looking at an 04' Luxury 6 due to the incentives and have gotten 2 prices but haven't yet signed on the dotted line and was wondering if they will really come thru with the quoted prices, and also should we be doing "better". Both trucks are similar with stickers around 36,800 (w/6CD changer)and 36,400 (w/o), no security pkg or DVD. The first quote was 30,800 and 0%-60 months, the other was 27,100 straight purchase after a lot of back and forth. I still need to check if the 30,800 will be 26,800 on a straight buy, no finance, since there is the 4000 rebate. It is a really nice truck though. Any feedback is appreciated.
  • keeferbkeeferb Posts: 81
    Anyone know what, if any, the changes are for the 2005 Explorer?

Thanks.
  • Limited 2004 Explorer -- I need help on a price. I negotiated for Ceramic White 2004 explorer -- with Aux. Air, Cross Bars, 3rd Row Seat, Moon Roof, Trailer Tow, V8 engine -- asking (MSRP) 40, 600 -- we negotiated after 5500 in rebates, trade-in -- to $27,700. Was that reasonable? That is 12 % of the sticker -- is that good or what should we look for next time??
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    the Limited and Eddie bauer have the message center controls on the 3 black buttons near the driver side. the 3 on the passenger side are 4Hi, 4L, and 4Auto is you have 4wd. AWD and 2WD do not have these buttons
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    8 way power seats on EB/Ltd.
    adjustable pdeals are an option.little bit different roof rack.

that's all i can find so far.

overall, more of the same.
  • I purchased the above vehicle a few weeks ago. The car has done well and this is my first SUV. Without getting into details, I got a very good deal with X-Plan. The rebate was $4,000.00, but I took $2,000.00 and 0% from Ford credit.
    BTW, I have Accu-Trak and the message center comes with this option.
    Intruder
    Thanks ajmtbm I talked to a friend who had an identicle truck and realized what they were for.
  • jwwnjjwwnj Posts: 2
    If you can finance under 5.5%, you're better off with the rebate.
  • I'm looking to lease an '04 XLT-- anybidy know where i can find residual value and money factors? thanks
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,911
    Try Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• momof4momof4 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what year Ford started offering the 3rd seat option on the Explorer?
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    They started offering the seat with the redesign of the body style in '02. Before, they couldn't because the floor was too high. When they redesigned the Explorer, they redesigned the rear suspension setup which allowed for dropping the floor of the SUV.
  • ladre20ladre20 Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a Ford Explorer XLT 2004 with running boards, V-6, safety canopy, rear DVD entertainment, power adj pedals, leather interior, tow package, moonroof, CD-radio-tape deck (80 watts). I am in Brooklyn Ny and I went to Premier Ford and the salesman came up with a price of 33,000 after a 6,000 rebate and still owing 2,000 on my car. This is also with no down payment. Also we have a family member that works for Ford so we are trying to get the A plan which may knock an additional 4,000 off that asking price. I want to know if that asking price is a good deal.
  • Does anyone have any thoughts on the X-plan pricing? I went to the dealer today and told them I have the x-plan.

Ford Describes the x-plan as: "This price is 4% over the Ford Employee (A-Plan) price, plus $150. Generally this price is below the dealer invoice price, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on new Ford Division products."

I researched the x-plan pricing and went to the dealer. I am looking for: XLT, 3rd row (should be free), moonroof, running boards, and cross-bars. Pricing on the x-plan pricing online showed very similar to what the dealer quoted me, about $31k.

My question is: Would I get a better price by using the x-plan or negotiating off the MSRP / sticker?

When I told the dealer that I had the x-plan, they were adamant that the x-plan is non-negotiable pricing. This is fine with me. But from what I've seen on edmunds.com and the forums, it seems that I may be able to get a better price negotiating it myself.

When I asked the dealer that question point blank, he claimed that the x-plan price was under invoice, so there would be no way to negotiate to a better price. I'm a little suspect of this statement.

Also, edmunds TMV says others are paying $30k, and that includes the 3rd row at $650. Something isn't adding up.

Any thoughts, examples of prices paid, etc for a similar '04 XLT would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Chicago. Thanks in advance! Andy
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    The X-Plan "sometimes is lower than invoice {but not all the time, but very close}. Sometimes it pays to negotiate a better price without the X-Plan...but...you have to realize....that...with the X-Plan, the dealer "Can Not" add any additional charges, such as extra advertising fees, extra MV fees, extra doc fees, etc.
       Check the invoice price as listed here on Edmunds [then take the invoice price of the other extras on the MSRP sticker} and add them onto the invoice price of the edmunds invoice and compare them against the MSRP sticker total (don't forget that the delivery charge is part of the sticker and should be also added {this is the same amount on both the MSRP and invoice price} usually around four to six hundred depending on what make vehicle. After comparing all of this, you should get a very close idea of weather or not the X-Plan is higher or lower than invoice. Just don't forget to check with the dealer to see if there are in fact "extra charges" that are not on the sticker (excluding of course, Tax,tags and license fees.}
      I know this is a long post, but I tried to explain it in the best way that I know.
  • A continuation of "andyp1's" question around X-Plan. I have not bought a car yet, but the dealer did say the X-Plan price is non-negotiable. My take is this...the X-Plan is just another rebate from Ford Corp and any decrease from MSRP due to the X-Plan does not at all reduce the dealer's take. If the dealer wants to give you further discounts (off of the X-Plan), they can do it and it will come out of their profit.

I have no facts to back that up, but intuitively I feel the X-Plan just locks in the dealer profits (or attempts to). Anyone have details around this thought (that either support/prove it wrong)?

Additionally, how can I easily find the factory-to-dealer incentives and dealer hold-backs?

Thanks for all your help.
  • Hey Explorer buyers,

I know it is not a good idea to roll negative equity into a new car purchase, so please don't answer this question with that advice. I currently drive a Kia Sportage and I am about $6k upside down. I want to know if it will be possible to bury this with the $5K rebates that are currently being offered on Explorer's. I can afford a $35K note. I want a new Explorer and roll negative equity in and the total figure to come to around $35K.
  • Hello-I have the option to purchase my company vehicle from the leasing/fleet mgmt. company, Wheels Inc. It's a 2004 Explorer XLT (4 WD, 3rd row, CD player, front/rear air, V6, power driver's seat).I received this vehicle brand new in October 2003, it has 9000 miles and is in great condition-I know the complete history of the vehicle since I'm the only driver of it. They are offering it to me for 20K-I've done some research and it seems like a fair price, I'm going to try for 18 or 19K though. Has anyone had experience purchasing a company vehicle-do they tend to negotiate price? Is 20K fair? What's the best financing company to use since I have to obtain my own? Thanks!
  • Kate5: Here is my experience, pick up tommorow!!! I found a white '03 Explorer XLT, 20K, running boards, 4 WD, 3rd row, CD player, front/rear ait, V6, power driver seat, put into service in Florida August '03, great condition, Sticker price of $20,988, but trading in my '94 Taurus Wagon 119K miles (which every dealership would only give me $500 for) negotiated down to $17,700, You are looking at a 2004 with 9K, so I am saying that's a great deal! I did try to negotiate an '04 with 19K on it, same options, best they would go was $19,900, so I would say you have a decent deal there, offer them a little under, what the heck have you got to lose?? Good luck
  • If the 33k includes your tradein, how much are they allowing you for the car.