Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• adameadame Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I have an Aviator'04 4x2.Has anybody ever had any problem with the shifter that moves forward when it is put into park? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • tami3tami3 Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am not too happy with my aviator, The engine has been on for about a year, sometimes but not all the time the engine skips or jumps, my RPM will shoot up to 7 or 8 and then my message says to check fuel cap or transmission. One time the repair man said no codes were showing up, my gas did not appear to have water in it, and he could not find anything wrong with it. The next time it happened he said multiple codes appeared and now he seems to think it is the computer. Does anyone else have an idea? I have been car less for 1 month waiting for the computer chip to be special made. If it turns out not to be the real problem I need a plan B. Wish I would have kept my Navigator !!! It was the best.

Tami :mad:
  • ldr63ldr63 Posts: 12
    Tami,

I also have an Aviator and am experiencing the SAME problems as you. One person said it could be the coil packs. I will have the dealer check that soon.
  • ajn51ajn51 Posts: 1
    I have the same issue on my 04 Aviator 4x2. Dealer looked at it and said it was normal, caused by the transmission "pawl" seating in proper location. I don't buy it.
  • adameadame Posts: 3
    That's exactly what they told me. I am just worried if's gonna get worst after the warranty expired.
  • rickz713rickz713 Posts: 3
    First, the passenger heat/cool seat functions died. Now, the driver's side heat/cool/ and all power adjustment functions are dead. How can I check this and fix it?
    My '03 Aviator has been with the dealer for 4 days now to fix this problem. I suggested looking at the coils/coil packs but instead they're telling me the stalling is due to a low voltage coming from the battery and the keys needing to be reprogrammed. Does this make sense to anyone?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,675
    Battery - maybe. Keys? No way.
  • dodge01dodge01 Posts: 12
    My wife bought an 04 Aviatior in Oct 06 with 20k mi on it. Shortly after it started an on and off problem of occasionally "popping" out of gear while driving, usually around 3-4 hear. The shifter didnt move, just popped out of gear. It finally developed into a frequent occurance and I took it in.

The dealership fiddled with the transmission and ended up replacing a solenoid? ( they said the wrong one was on it? )The problem started happening again about two blocks from the dealership (as I left). This time they said they had to "clear the memory" since this transmission learns your driving habits and learns to shift more efficiently.

The problem has started again (april 07) but only seems to happen to me (wife says car doesnt like me). It is becoming a safety issue and I am going to take it in but wanted to see if anyone else has had similar problems??

Also, sometimes after backing out of driveway and shifting to drive there is a delay of 5sec or so before the transmission engages.

(told her not to buy a Ford)

Dodge01
  • jd1017jd1017 Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 awd Aviator. I've had no problems at all with the vehicle and have passed the 50K mark. I was recently in for an oil change an mentioned the idle seems to be a bit off when in gear at stop signs/traffic lights. They replaced the air filters an be damned if its not like a rocket again, better mileage too! The fix was inexpensive. Aside from a rather obscure split on the back lift gate near the emblem (what the heck is that about?) a "goodwill" replacement and $200.00 of my money (more annoying that anything else)the Av has been awesume!

Is there a lincoln gripe site I can voice my annoyance with the lift gate issue?
    Thanks...great forum!!
  • mw3000mw3000 Posts: 24
    I have an '04 and the lift gate crack from what I was told is just a problem that we must deal with. on the air filter issue, i put a K&N air filter on it helped out gas milage by .2 mpg, but after talking to my mechanic who races his mustang. he said that K&N air filters are bad. He states that since they alow more air through they also let more crap through. He had to file the pit marks off his supercharger Gear after some races. makes sence to me what about you.
  • tami3tami3 Posts: 2
    It took me 9 weeks to fix my Aviator. I Had to replace the power train module. Now it works just fine.. I plain on taking it for a JOY RIDE next week to another dealer ( not ford or lincoln) for a trade in. Oh did I mention that the reason it took so long to fix was because Ford was trying to order the part from a non existing supplier..I had to threaten them with a lemon lawsuit before they figured that out. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • avifanavifan Posts: 7
    I have an 03 with 59K. For about a month, the engine light comes on a blinks on hard accelerations. The transmission doesn't kick down correctly either. The light would eventually go out. Most recently, I can't maintain speed on hills-passing gear is just not there all the time. The dealer said he could only find a computer message about an intermittent cylinder mis-fire. I was told to stop using premium gas because it messes up the computer (WHAT!). OK, I don't think it will solve the problem, but what the heck. I have put one tank of regular and I am on my fourth tank of plus (mid-octane level) and I still can't go uphill.
    You had an engine misfire (that was the blinking light - the owner's manual tells you not to drive it if it's blinking because you could do further damage). Using premium does not mess up the computer. Find another dealer and get it fixed.
    I had my '03 Aviator at the dealer back in April for the stalling problem and they told me that they now think it's the computer and they would have to order the part. It's been 5 weeks and still no part from the dealer. They said these parts come from an outside vendor and they usually take a few weeks to get. Does anybody buy this or am I being jerked around? They said the repair ($1,000) is covered under the warranty. I didn't buy the car from them, could that be the problem?
  • dodge01dodge01 Posts: 12
    I just got a notice from Ford in the mail yesterday concerning 2003 and 2004 Aviators with the 4.6l 4V engine. They are extending the warranty coverage on the ignition coil to 11 years or 120k mi.

It says the bad coils are causing "misfire conditions". You may experience "hesitation or surge upon acceleration, rough engine idle, or illumination of the CHECK ENGINE light"

The coverage is only for bad coils but that may be some ppl's problems in here.

It was labeled Customer Satisfaction Program 07M06

Good Luck
  • vangotoovangotoo Posts: 4
    Does anyone else feel that the brake pedal is too low and soft? I just got an 04 Aviator. Other cars have not had this kind of pedal. I tried another Aviator and the same soft feeling. How can I get a very hard high pedal (like a vette) or is this the way it has to be. Dealer said to replace all rotors. I have worked on cars all my life and I know rotors have no affect on pedal softness or height, they just wanted to make $$$. I've bled the brakes, no affect! The master cylinder does not have a bleeder screw on it, yet the manual says it should. Was this replaced? or are some from the factory without the bleeder screw?
    Ford brakes are typically less firm but they work just fine. Switching to stainless brake lines will help. I have an 03 and don't find it to be a problem but I've driven mostly Fords lately. If you tried other vehicles and they're the same then it's probably normal.
  • asemaasema Posts: 33
    I have about 53k miles, on original brakes and rotors. they do feel soft, but they've always felt soft. Dealer said I have about 20% left on the pads when I took it in at 50k. Now the car vibrates/shakes when I brake, and i want to change pads/rotors all around. Rotors have already been turnd twice. I dont' want to pay the stealer to do the brake job.
    Any recommnedations on where to purchase OEM quality pads and rotors? i search for Advanced Auto parts, and read sevaral negative comments on the brake parts bought from there. Where can I get cheaper but decent rotors and pads?Thanks for your help.
    (ETA: Midas wants $1350 to change all brakes...yeah right)
  • vangotoovangotoo Posts: 4
    That's my complaint, always soft, dealer says that's OK, not with me, I'm changing master cylinder to see what happens.
    OEM is kind of a joke as brake rotors are obtained overseas in many countries by mfgr"s and parts outlets. NAPA carries a higher grade if you ask for it. If you can do the labor yourself you may want to consider buying the cheapies, and when they go bad, trough them out and put on new cheapies.
    Ford brakes always feel soft at first but they work just fine. I assume it's something in the way they build the master cylinder and/or brake lines. It doesn't affect how they work, just how they feel.
  • bcn08bcn08 Posts: 8
    i have a 2003 aviator and the engine is misfiring.
    i had someone look at it and they said that this is happening often on the left hand cylinder. (from a alldata online report) cylinder number 7 is bad.

do you think this will be warrented at 79000 miles? he said i should fight for it considering the emissions problems i will have now. the car now sounds horrible when i drive.

Anyone with a 2003 aviator should take the car in now and get an extended warrenty. you will have problems in the future.
    If it's loss of compression then it's probably a bad head. It's a known problem that affects SOME DOHC 4.6L engines. Ours failed at 36K and was replaced. There is an extended warranty available for the coils but I don't think it will cover the cylinder head itself.

All Lincolns are allowed 2 AWAs (After Warranty Adjustment) where Ford and/or the dealer will cover all or part of the repair. It's up to the dealer to request it though. Worth a shot since this is a known problem.
    thanks for the info.
    yes i did get the extended warrenty.
    i will call today and see if they will warrent my truck.

any ideas on how to approach them with my problem?
    Get it diagnosed first. If it's not covered by the extended warranty on the coils then tell them you've heard that it was a known problem (there is a TSB for it) with defective heads on the DOHC 4.6L engines and you'd like an AWA.
    I have a 2003 Aviator with 76K miles. It's currently with the dealer for a stalling problem. They had it a month ago and said the stalling wasn't the coils. They replaced the computer but I still have the problem. When warm my Aviator stalls upon accelerating from a traffic light, a stand still or in reverse. When accelerating it will start to stall, the RPMs will shoot up to 3000 and it will either catch or stall. This is really frustrating. I've been working on this problem since November. Could this be the same problem you guys are talking about?
    Not sure. Almost sounds like the torque converter. Could you describe it in a little more detail?
    thanks for the info. i took it in today and they said it wasnt under warrenty, of course.
    i will take it in tomorrow and try to get an AWA.

I am buying a navigator... is there any known issues?

the dealer wants to give me 9k for the aviator. do you think i should just turn it in if they wont fix it?
    The cost of repair is at about 4K.

thanks for your time.
    I think you can fix it and sell it for more than 13K. Last time I checked a 2003 Aviator was going for around $18K trade-in. I would at least shop around for a trade-in price assuming the engine is fixed.
    any known issues with the lincoln navigator?