Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,704
    Your dealer can request an AWA - After Warranty Adjustment that would defray at least some of the cost. Lincoln vehicles are allowed 2 AWAs in their lifetime, Ford/Mercury gets 1. But it's totally up to the dealer to request it. In this case I think you would get some help at least. If it's been less than 1 year since the last one was installed it may fall under the Ford parts warranty, but I'm not sure if that's still valid. Bottom line - complain to the dealer and ask for an AWA.

Interestingly - we haven't had this problem on our 2003 (4.5 years, 55K). Knock on wud.
  • marta5marta5 Posts: 3
    hi
    Whats wrong with my break light?They DO NOT work when i drive or back up but they DO work when the car is in park?? :confuse:
    What is a "break light"? Is that a light on the dash that comes on when something is broken???
  • marta5marta5 Posts: 3
    break light is the stop light..when u press on breaks to stop or slow down ,the rear lights comes on..in my case they dont but when the car is park they do work
    I was being sarcastic - it's BRAKE, not BREAK. Cars have brakes and brake lights. When you break something it's broken.

Never heard of that problem - you'll have to take it to the dealer or check the wiring yourself.
  • uvsrw3uvsrw3 Posts: 1
    I think this is what is going on with my 03 aviator. I got the misfire flashing engine light and had it towed to the dealer in Jan 08. 2 coils were replaced. prior to the misfire, I had complained of poor excelleration, hesitation, etc. I was told at that time they could detect a problem.

The misfire stopped after the repair but two days later, I was still having the hesitation/excelleration issues. No lights or warning are displaying on the dash but beeping noise comes and goes randomly. I took it back to the dealer in March 08 and was told there was an vacumn leak and the throttle body was gummed up. A couple of hundred $$ later, it's still doing the same thing if not worse. Not only am I getting the random beeping, the hesitation but now a new trick - clacking/clicking noise when I excelate. I'm taking it back to the dealer on Monday and boy am I going to put on a show for them. I love my vehicle but it needs to be fixed properly. Thank goodness I got an extended warranty. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It has definately given me some insight on what the problem truly may be.
  • waamanwaaman Posts: 15
    I have a 2003 Aviator Kitty Hawk Edition. No major problems to 80K. However, now I am experiencing a brake gear shift release problem. When in park, sometimes, I cannot move the console gear shift our of park to drive. I do hear the clicking when the brake pedal is depressed but it stays locked. It does seems to try to engage but doesn't catch all the time. The dealer said that it might be the gear release solenoid. So it's a $400.00 gamble. I would hate to be in an emergency situation with this problem. Any advice?
    Warren
  • abtrmanabtrman Posts: 35
    Hey Warren, this is Warren also.I have the same problem with my 04 with 70k.My gear shift moves up and down vertically.Does yours? I think this may be to blame.When I step on the brake, push the button and shift in perfect unison,no problem. Even the slightest hesitation,problem.I have the extended warranty but I opted for the $100 deductible. At that rate every covered repair adds up. I'll be taking it in soon. I don't want to be stranded in an emergency situation.It's odd that they didn't mention the neautral safety switch as a possible cause.I've had two chevys and two fords that have exhibited the same symptoms.I'll keep you posted.
  • waamanwaaman Posts: 15
    Thanks for your response. My gear shift is in the middle console. I am procrastinating for now since it works 90% of the time. So I am still investigating.
  • Warren, I have an 03 Aviator, had the same problem with the gear shift. Unfortunately for me, it finally came loose one day at a gas pump. After about 20 mins of freaking out, I took the thing apart and was able to drive it home. If you pull down the leather piece surrounding the base of the gear shift knob, you will expose a small screw about half way down the base, place the knob so that it sits in place and tighten that screw. It should fix the problem of the knob moving up and down vertically. It did for me. Apparently this screw holds the thing down. It’s a spring loaded mess in there once the knob comes loose. Hope this helps.
  • Note to Warren: Be sure that you hold the knob down when pulling down the leather piece on the shifter as the screw may already be loose. This will save you a good deal of trouble because putting the whole thing back together is not that complicated but can be a bit tricky.
  • linc2004linc2004 Posts: 3
    My 2004 Aviator intermittently displays a 'Check Park Assist' message when I backup. When the message appears on the dashboard the beeping doesn't work. However, on other occasions it works just fine (beeping and no message)! The owners manual mentions that this display message exists, but it doesn't say why it happens, or what to do when it happens. Can anyone provide details?
  • Just wanted to know if you had any followups on your post. I have a 2005 Aviator and the same thing is happening to me. The "Check park assist" warning comes up quite often. Is it the sensor going bad?
  • clarksalmoclarksalmo Posts: 19
    I had an 04 Aviator. I had the check park assist message come on intermittently many, many times. The dealer replaced the sensors several times and it fixed the problem until the next time a sensor went bad. I probably had 10 sensors in total replaced.
    That was just the tip of the iceberg concerning the problems I had with that vehicle. I had the trim piece on the tailgate crack also. There is a TSB on that problem.
    I had three new transmissions put in before the car had 1700 miles on it.
    There was constantly something wrong with it. I am glad my dealer was so understanding and took good care of me.
    :lemon: Thankfully, I traded that car off and I haven't looked back.
  • jchrpvjchrpv Posts: 1
    The problem is not with the ignition coil; that is just a way for Ford to avoid action by the EPA on the emissions warranty.

A Ford Technical Service Bulletin has been issued that identifies the problem with premature valve wear, primarily on the left head of the engine. It appears that this occurs as early as 50,000 miles, but as late as 115,000 miles (as with my engine). The cost of rebuilding the head is equal to replacing the engine with a new one (about $7,000). This affects all Aviator engines as well as some installed in the Mustang and Navigator.

If you get the warning light, move fast because the next thing that will happen is that you will fail your next smog check (if required in your state). In California, this means that you can't sell the car until it is repaired.

Don't expect any help from Ford unless you are under warranty. They seem to have forgotten that you should be able to get at least 250,000 miles before you have to replace an engine.

It was because of this problem and the defect in the Aviator climate control system that I gave up on owning Fords for forty years and finally bought a foreign car. I now have an Acura MDX; although it took a couple of months to get over not having that "Ford" feeling, I am very happy that I made the change.
  • The problem you are having is that cylinders 7 and 8 are fouled and you need an engine rebuild. The head/valve cover on this V8 comes in two pieces. It fouls around 50k miles and needs to be rebuilt. Ford should recall the engine and fix it gratis. There is a TSB on it. Ask a Lincoln Mercury Dealer and they know the TSB. All engines of this type, Ford puts in Ford Mustang, Navigator and Maruader fail. Mine failed at 52k miles and they covered part of it but not all of it. My 6th and last Ford btw. The dealer will quote $5500 if beyond warranty. They will pick up part of the tab if you push. Time for a class action??
  • bill03bill03 Posts: 3
    The Automatic door locks on my '03 Aviator has stopped locking when I first begin moving. The indicator light on the dash says "door ajar" but they are not. As long as the indicator message is on I can not lock the doors. If I drive on the doors automatically lock after about 1/2 mile. I have noticed that the doors generally automatically lock at the same distance or time. If I disable the auto lock feature the doors lock and unlock without a problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so any ideas what the problem is?

Bill
  • Hello fellow Aviators! I am proud to join the ranks of you all, or am I? LOL. I have a few questions that I would appreciate some answers.

. What is this liftgate crack everyone is talking about?
    . My aviator is AWD. However, I can't figure out how this works, and I do not have the " if equiped " AWD lock, or traction control. So I am assuming that these functions are controlled by the computer at will?
    . Since I am a 2nd owner at 84K does any warranty or AWA apply to me?
    . When I bought my car the I noticed the emissions light one, the dealer said the car needed a tune up. Then when he placed it on a computer, the computer said that a coil had blown? He said this around 200.00 to fix?
    . When I am driving it almost feels like the wheels are on air, and I it really feels like I am gliding on the road other than gripping it.
    . How does the vehicle operate in the snow, getting out of snow etc. My old car explorer would simply drive right out of any snowy condition without shoveling.
    . Heres one. I have owned several cars and last night was like the twighlight zone. My windows inside (all) were dripping wet! and the outside was bone dry. I put the wipers on thinking it was the outside and I was blown away! I was completely blind, the defrost did little to help. Is this normal?

I have to admit reading these horror stories really shakes my faith in my new (used) aviator. But, as a man of faith, I trust the father will keep her in tact.

Well I really would appreciate some responses. You can e-mail me if you choose, tkiellmancoo.ezco@gmail.com

In closing I must say this. It is not right for these big car companies to sell you a car for 50K (I didn't pay this) but you guys did, and spit in your face. The problem is this, one person will not make any waves, but a few hundred thousand or million will! They should be held accountable. We need to lobby congress to pass some stronger laws against this injustice. :)
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Posts: 245
    Liftgate crack - the area between the bottom of the liftglass and where the gate opens - plastic piece where the logo is, less than a foot tall, plastic - can crack. mine cracked twice replaced under warranty. apparently a common problem.
  • hey aimtbm :)

thanks for the diagnosis. I appreciate your time.
  • bfistobfisto Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Aviator with 85K on it. I purchased the extended warranty that was up at 75K, but, for some strange reason was not notified as I would have purchased another extended. Anyway, i just had a coil replaced under a re-call about 1 month ago. Recently the check engine light came on and the truck did not run well at all. I called and they stated it was probably a bad coil. I brought it back in and it is one of the valves in Cylinder 6 (i think). 5K to fix! On another note, while I was driving the truck, last week the shift cover slid off the shift and I could not get teh car out of park. They are charging me another 500 for a replacement. Not too mention I have had other smaller problems over teh past 4 to 5 years.
  • suzydqsuzydq Posts: 3
    I am with you. It is time for a Class Action. I too own a 2004 Aviator with 46,850 miles. I have had many problems with engine light on. I have had coils replaced, #6 valve and #1 and #5 ignition coils, Exhaust valve leakage, hmm looking at paper work look like #6 & number 8 coils . My vehicle was in the shop for 8 days from 07/29/08-08/13/08 I drove for 2 days and engine light was back on. I was told the # 2 valve was miss firing. And this was a new problem and was not covered under my warranty and that they would not be providing a rental car for me. I calm person by nature but let just say that I got a rental and they agreed to take care of my vehicle. (just to get me out of the shop) The very next day I was told that they cannot find anything and I could pick up my vehicle. Ready when you are.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    U know, I came this || close to buying a new '04 Aviator, but bought a Navigator instead because I really needed a little more room. I guess I really dodged a bullit cause my navigaor at 50K, knock wood, has been rock solid.
    I also had a Mark VIII which I'm almost positive had the same engine as the Aviator (4.6L, around 300hp, right? - Mark was 270hp) and that engine was bulletproof. Sis-in-Law is driving it now at 175K and is real happy. She's had typical air shock problems, but elsewise is happy.
    All this and I close with I'm real sorry and surprised the Aviator has been a problem for so many people. How can Ford(Lincoln) expect repeat customers when they build cr@p like this? :confuse:
    Let's hope most of them are Ford fans like me and realize that problems with Aviators don't translate to problems with other vehicles like the Edge.

What I don't understand (other than the engine which is different) is why the Aviator seems to have so many more problems than the Explorer.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    I dont understand that either.The Aviator looked to be a really great vehicle. But the build execution was horrendous. I even recall one former Lincoln fan who's Aviator was delivered with the wrong drivetrain mated to the Aviator's engine.

But really, fan or not, it's hard to take when u spend $45000 or more of your hard-earned money on a vehicle that turns out to have been better left in the scrap yard.

Things like this are what causes people (and I know lots of them, though I aint one) to say "I'll never buy another American car."
  • I was out of town on business last week & received a call from my wife saying she took our 2003 Aviator to the dealership because it needed an oil change, and the "check engine" light had come on. As well, we had a tailgate that had been cracked for some time that we had forgotten to ask about during previous routine service appointments, so she figured she would mention that too. We had noticed numerous Aviators and Explorers with the same problem, so we assumed that it would be taken care of. Upon dropping the vehicle off for service, my wife was immediately told that the tailgate had been recognized as a problem, but would not be covered by the manufacturer. Later in the day, she received a call saying that there is a crack in one of the cylinder heads, and it needs to be replaced. The cost to do this will run between $3,500 and $4,000. It would not be covered under warranty due to the age and mileage of the vehicle (just under 5 years old; 98,000 miles). My wife was in a complete state of shock! Something as significant as this on a vehicle that was not even 5 years old yet wouldn't be covered??? We bought this vehicle brand new and paid nearly $50,000 for it! We expected it to last MUCH longer than 5 years!!! We will NEVER purchase another Lincoln again....or any other product made by Ford for that matter! Maybe it is necessary for a class action lawsuit!!! It is NOT acceptable for them to pick up just part of the tab. Why should we all be held responsible for these defects?
  • bfistobfisto Posts: 3
    I called my dealer's manager, and copied all these Lincoln threads. Told them not to do any work at this time and that I felt this is a manufacturers defect. I also stated that I would either taking my SUV from the dealer and getting another opinion or sueing. They told me they would escalate to Ford. They did and took the bill down from $4,500 to $1,500. I was planning on accepting this, but, am still not thrilled.
    Do you honestly think any other mfr would cover something like that after 98,000 miles? I'm sympathetic and totally agree that the build quality is unacceptable, but you can't expect a mfr to cover something at twice the warranty mileage. You either buy an extended warranty or take your chances.
  • Lincoln comes from the factory with a 3 year 36000 mi warranty, we purchased a 5 year 75000 mi warranty. I honestly think that if Lincoln new of this problem before they made the vehicle then yes they should be responsible for the repairs at 50000 or 98000. If this was a fluke then yes we will have to suck it up and pay, would not be the first time. However, it seems obvious from so many other comments posted that this IS NOT just a fluke.
  • Do you happen to have the name of anyone at Ford who was involved? Our dealership has been working with Ford but as of today, Ford is only willing to contribute a "small portion" towards the cost of the part. We have not even been told what that "small portion" is yet, but it doesn't sound like much, as the part is just under $1,500. The labor is the bulk of the cost.