Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Ford brakes always feel soft at first but they work just fine. I assume it's something in the way they build the master cylinder and/or brake lines. It doesn't affect how they work, just how they feel.
  • bcn08bcn08 Posts: 8
    i have a 2003 aviator and the engine is misfiring.
    i had someone look at it and they said that this is happening often on the left hand cylinder. (from a alldata online report) cylinder number 7 is bad.

do you think this will be warrented at 79000 miles? he said i should fight for it considering the emissions problems i will have now. the car now sounds horrible when i drive.

Anyone with a 2003 aviator should take the car in now and get an extended warrenty. you will have problems in the future.
    If it's loss of compression then it's probably a bad head. It's a known problem that affects SOME DOHC 4.6L engines. Ours failed at 36K and was replaced. There is an extended warranty available for the coils but I don't think it will cover the cylinder head itself.

All Lincolns are allowed 2 AWAs (After Warranty Adjustment) where Ford and/or the dealer will cover all or part of the repair. It's up to the dealer to request it though. Worth a shot since this is a known problem.
    thanks for the info.
    yes i did get the extended warrenty.
    i will call today and see if they will warrent my truck.

any ideas on how to approach them with my problem?
    Get it diagnosed first. If it's not covered by the extended warranty on the coils then tell them you've heard that it was a known problem (there is a TSB for it) with defective heads on the DOHC 4.6L engines and you'd like an AWA.
  • ldr63ldr63 Posts: 12
    I have a 2003 Aviator with 76K miles. It's currently with the dealer for a stalling problem. They had it a month ago and said the stalling wasn't the coils. They replaced the computer but I still have the problem. When warm my Aviator stalls upon accelerating from a traffic light, a stand still or in reverse. When accelerating it will start to stall, the RPMs will shoot up to 3000 and it will either catch or stall. This is really frustrating. I've been working on this problem since November. Could this be the same problem you guys are talking about?
    Not sure. Almost sounds like the torque converter. Could you describe it in a little more detail?
    thanks for the info. i took it in today and they said it wasnt under warrenty, of course.
    i will take it in tomorrow and try to get an AWA.

I am buying a navigator... is there any known issues?

the dealer wants to give me 9k for the aviator. do you think i should just turn it in if they wont fix it?
    The cost of repair is at about 4K.

thanks for your time.
    I think you can fix it and sell it for more than 13K. Last time I checked a 2003 Aviator was going for around $18K trade-in. I would at least shop around for a trade-in price assuming the engine is fixed.
    any known issues with the lincoln navigator?
    I think you're safe on the 05 and later Navigators but you should probably check the Navigator forum to be safe.
    where did you find the TSB? any other info on the TSB? i have ford on the line.
    I don't have the TSB in front of me but they should be able to find it very easily based on the symptoms.
  • mongo1mongo1 Posts: 49
    Greetings all and may this find you well. Would there be anyone out there that would know what tuner pack would be needed to activate my Sirius radio. Vehicle is a 2004 Aviator with the 6 CD Audiophile. Radio supposedly is set up with the antenna already built in, but needs some sort of tuner module to activate. Lincoln is asking $400.00 to install. I believe the ALP-1 might work, but I am not certain. Anybody out there with this experience would most certainly be appreciated if they could throw light on this. Thank you in advance.
    Will D.
  • i just purchased a 2003 aviator but the is this noise coming from the driver side by the third row seat, is starts as soon as you turn the car on. can some one tell me what it might be?
  • First I have to say I would NEVER waste an AWA repair on something as a a/c smell repair these 2 repairs should be saved for major work, second your selling dealer or the one you take it to for repairs are the ones that will offer AWA repairs in case you don't know the dealer has to pay a portion of the repair most dealers won't want to shell out a poetion for an AWA repair unless you are their customer, that being siad if the smell is chemical type like a freezer smell try tsb 05-09-22
  • djwohiodjwohio Posts: 3
    I did have wind noise on my 03 Aviator from the driver side window at 45 miles or higher. Dealer relplaced the rubber window assembly around the glass and it was coverd under warranty. The repair took care of the problem.
    I had the same problem on my 03 aviator at 44,000 miles. Dealer replaced number 2 and nuber 8 cylender coil. Dealer told me this is a recall item and is warrnted to 80,000 miles. At 45,000 miles I had a similar rough running engine with the check engine light on. The dealer replaced the left side head and it was covered uner the original warranty. Also at 43,200 miles I had to replace 2 valve springs covered under warranty. The combined total of these repairs would have exceeded $5,000. I just passed 50,000 and based on my repair issues and all the problems on this site, I bought an extended warranty to 100k for $1,725.00 at fordwarrantys.com . I am sure it will pay off. Good luck
    Has anyone had a problem entering a destination into the GPS system? When I begin typing the destination the screen jumps to several address with similar spelling but are in out of state cities. I took it to the dealer and they could figure it out and they ordered a replcement unit and it does the same thing. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know of a web site that will assist with the Aviator GPS programing issues?