Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    First horror story we've heard here on the Aviator (or anywhere else, actually). The fit problems are really wierd. These buckets are usually sold gold on fit & finish, especially the body parts. Makes me wonder if yours was damaged in the shipping process or something. No way to prove that I suppose, but I've never seen anything like you're describing there. The frame on this car is as stiff as Al Gore on a Hannity & Combs interview, and it shouldn't be possible to tweak it enough even with a jack, to make the panels touch each other. The seat is about right - I don't even notice it anymore, but they do have some give in them and the motor will clunk as it changes positions and gears. Squeaks and rattles are odd too. I guess there's one in every makes batch, eh? Sorry about yours :(
  • my 2003 aviator awd advanced track works great. When you are going 40mph, the light comes on says check advance track and the suv goes from 40mph to 20mph in 2 sec. I have only 4,500 miles has been to Hempstead lincoln 5 times. They say there is nothing wrong. And say i am the only one in america with this problem. They are no help. Call the 800 #, also no help. What can i do next?
    Well, it is the first time I've heard of this issue, that much is true. When the dealer says you have no problem, that means they can't download an error code from the computer, unfortunately. I presume the car only does this occasionally, and never when they test drive it? I would suggest two things; 1) Ask the service manager if they'll give you a loaner car, and tell him to keep your car and drive it as much as he can until it does it to him. Then, he'll likely fix it as he'll be a believer. Or, 2), try another dealer if possible. Some of them are better than others, believe me.

Above all, stay politely persistent. If you escalate this to anger (which I wouldn't blame you for), the dealer staff will shut down on you - as they get yelled at every day and just naturally defend against that. If you are nice, but persistent, they'll usually come around that you deserve special attention. It's too bad this is how you have to deal with it, but they're people too, and I've found this approach works best. Funny too, how a $20 bill slipped to the service advisor/manager will get you a ton of attention on your vehicle.
  • aa8qfaa8qf Posts: 34
    A bad suggestion, totally unnecessary, and a sad commentary - if you spend this much money on an automobile, dealership should bend over backwards to satisfy you.
    Hey, no problem, don't do it. I'm just saying, I get incredible attention from my dealer, including free detailing about 4 times a year, and I appreciate it, so I tip the service writer. And amazingly, loaner cars are never a problem, neither is appointments or pickups at work, etc. Whatever works for you.
    Giving someone a tip after they have provided you excellent service is much different from "slipping" someone a $20, expecting to get better or special treatment - that's just distasteful.
    In Vegas, slipping is a way of life.
  • thank you, did give him $20. I have no problem doing that. It did help, And people who think, it was wrong they live in fantasy land
    That's right, pal. You tip a waiter after they have taken care of you - but if you tip someone in service prior, (which is done all the time in Vegas, and practically expected), you are guaranteed lots of attention, while everyone else waits.
    I don't live in Vegas. I don't care to go to Vegas. I also don't live in Fantasy Land - just good old hard working, down-to-earth midwest. I'm glad slipping $20 is working for the both of you. Although you may see results, I still contend that it should not be necessary. What ever happened to taking your car in for warranty work and actually getting it repaired?
    I wish it were the case, but in many parts of the country, it just doesn't work like it used to. Now, in Florida, where I have a home, things are much more as you describe. But not in Vegas anymore, or New York City, or L.A., or lots of places I've been. Look, YMMV, do what works for you.
  • I have an '04 Aviator that we have about 650 miles on and coming home today we heard kind of a howling sound coming from the rear. Could this be the whine everyone is talking about? If so, I am assumming I need to get it in to be check. Please advise
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,691
    The infamous whine only occurs between 55 and 65 mph or so and only with your foot on the gas. Either way get the dealer to check it.
    Yes, that's the "infamous" whine that akirby is talking about. But if your symptoms don't match those parameters, then you have the not quite so infamous "expansion valve" whistle or howl, in the rear A/C evaporator coil. Not a big problem to fix, your dealer can correct it, with a replacement.
  • Hi ho Hi ho off to the dispute settlement board I go.

Yes that's right. I have had my Aviator in for transmission service 6 times within a year and a half. I now have over 40k miles on it and the problem still hasn't been resolved. My vehicle has been out of service for a total of 86 days since I purchased this vehicle. 59 days for the transmission problem.

My transmission slips when the car is hot and primarily in stop and go situations. I also encounter slipping/engagement problems when switching from reverse to drive also when the vehicle has been running. This problem is not continual but intermittent and through all the times in service they have replaced the following: The solenoid body, pump bolts, pan gasket, stand pipe and o-rings. Still slipping. One time the service department wasn't able to duplicate the problem and one time their notes state that they were able to duplicate the problem but it only happened for 10 seconds. I don't care if it happens for 1 second fix it. I am to the point that I want out of the vehicle. The bad part is that if they would have replaced the transmission after the second or third visit I would have been satisfied that they were committed to their product and their customers but I am not the least bit satisfied.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with the dispute settlement board and what was the outcome of your particular situation.

Thanks,
    That definitely sucks. Have you tried a different dealer? Remember, Ford Motor Co. doesn't sell or repair your vehicle - independent dealers do. Ford would like to do both but the dealers won't permit it. It's hard to say whether the dealer or Ford is at fault here, but a different dealer MIGHT get different results either from being able to correctly diagnose the problem once and for all or to get factory assistance.
  • For "big ticket" items like transmissions, Ford usually requires their dealers to do a cost comparison between repairing the component vs. replacing it in order to get reimbursed for the warranty claim, which is probably why in this case a replacement wasn't done right off the bat.
  • You know, I love the vehicle and I thought the dealership was doing everything they could to accomodate my issues. I still love getting in and turning on the a/c seats with the sunroof open and the radio on. I just can't see retaining a vehicle that I paid so much for when the problems I am having haven't been fixed correctly after all my visits to the dealership for service. I would really feel uncomfortable knowing that they fixed the vehicle and then what... 20k miles down the road when the extended warranty expires I am out of luck. I understand that there are certain restrictions on the dealership with respect to replacing major components but I have called Ford directly and have documented all those times when I have called to no avail. they still hadn't replaced the transmission after the 6th time in service for the same symptoms.
  • Any new resolutions or ideas on what the deal is with the shifty driver's seat on the Aviator? My husband notices it a lot more than I do (I think cause he weighs about 60lbs more). Also the display on the navigation/radio flickers around dusk. Is it just adjusting to the time of day and looking for the correct lighting?
    The display does have an automatic setting and will adjust when the ambient light dims so that's most likely what's happening.

As for the seats - they all do it. I had a 97 explorer that did it. Not sure why they haven't fixed it yet. I guess I'm used to it. I only notice it on quick stops and even then it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm used to it. You could try adjusting the seat - that may make it less noticeable.
    the seats do all do it. It also doesn't bother me much - but my wife complains about it more.
    In the "Lincoln Aviator" discussion, see posts 1368, 1377, 1378. This was my experience as well. Definitely not designed with your best interest in mind.
  • mongo1mongo1 Posts: 49
    Grettings all, and may this find you well. I just wanted to give an update on my 04 Ultimate. What a nice package. Just rolled over 3500 miles and I can only say I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before purchasing. Hooked up a little pop-up camper last weekend for the maiden tow. Pulled the 2000 lb. trailer like it wasn't even there. Everything is working as designed and I still can't get over the handling. That was one of the primary reasons I refused to even look at an S.U.V. Only two concerns: One, I do think the seating is a bit high for my tastes. I dislike having my eyes at the same level as the rearview mirror. I wonder how anyone over 6 foot copes with it? Two, I do wish I had gotten one with the dove grey interior. If you look at this parchment leather, it gets filthy. Finally, if you've gotten this far, a question. Has anyone out there purchased a transmission cooler for one of these? Lincoln doesn't carry one and I would be interested in any comments regarding same. Ant14? NVbanker? Thanks in advance. Keep em flying!
    Yes, the handling is great and yes, the seats are a bit higher than I would like and I'm only 5'11".

We bought a silver one and my wife demanded the grey interior as she didn't like the tan. It's holding up fine.

I think there are plenty of aftermarket coolers available if the lines are already there going to the radiator.
  • mongo1mongo1 Posts: 49
    Greetings Akirby, and may this find you well. Thanks for the quick response. Yes, after some search online I've found a couple of units designed for this transmission. I just need to decide whether a stacked tube or a finned tube would be better for my application. My wife and I intend to purchase a travel trailer in the near future. Something in the 5000 Lb. range with a 6500 Lb. GVWR rating. I'm thinking the stacked tube unit 12" X 12" should handle this with capacity to spare. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
    Sorry - don't know anything about tranny coolers but if it's designed for that application it should work fine.
  • I went to the dispute settlement board and won!!!
    They are taking back my Aviator and refunding my downpayment, trade in allowance and the total of payments made by me to my financial institution. Of course they are calculating mileage use of the vehicle as follows. purchase price of vehicle multiplied by 15531 ( mileage at first repair attempt) divided by 100,000. that works out to I think about 6600.00 or so. I will be getting a fair chunk of dough back. Too bad they are not going to compensate me for my valuable time and the garage floor damage from the leaking transmission.
    Sounds fair to me. What will you replace it with?
    I'd be throwing a party, you want to be further compensated for time and oil stains. You're not easy to please, are you....
  • I was Joking. I am totally pleased with the board decision. They definitely restored some of the confidence that I have lost in the Ford Motor Company. I will probably be getting a SAAB or Pontiac Grand Prix as a replacement. My wifes father used to be a GM exec so I will get the employee discount. I no longer get the Ford discount as my brother had quit a while ago.