Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Aviator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lolaj42lolaj42 Posts: 420
    Isn't a common tool, and can often diagnose tire irregularities that typical tire balancing systems cannot.

In each of the last two sets of tires I've purchased, my Discount Tire store had to return 2 and 3 tires, respectively in order to get all four new tires to balance properly. These tires WOULD have balanced OK on the standard mounting/balancing equipment, but the Hunter 9700, by applying road force during the balancing operation, discovered tire irregularities . . . similar to what you would experience while driving.

It costs about $5.00 more per tire to have them balanced on the Hunter, but it's worth it to me.
  • avfan2avfan2 Posts: 23
    I finally drove my Aviator 100 miles to my dealership to work on the list of noises that I had?see my post #1022?.the rear axle whine, the rear hatch styrofoam squeak, the grinding noise from the engine compartment, the loose seat, etc. I had discussed all the noises during my 10K service on 3/26 and brought the Aviator back to them 4/3.

When I arrived on 4/3, I was told that there is no fix for the seat problem. I had the tracks/rails replaced in November at the 5K service and the seat remained tight for about 30 days. I was now being told that all of the seats are loose if you have the seat close and perhaps I should try moving the seat back farther. To me this is really not an option because even if you can move the pedals you still need to reach the steering wheel!

They had the vehicle from 4/3 until 4/17 and they gave me their loaner Mercury Sable to drive.

The Sable?s accelerator pedal cable broke on my way to work 4/12, leaving me dead in a busy intersection. The Sable was towed to a Ford dealer about 30 miles away and I rented another car from Budget. Yesterday, I turned in the Budget car, got a ride to pick up the Sable, and drove the Sable 100 miles back to the Lincoln.

I missed my Aviator and was glad to be finally getting it back. The mechanic assured me that I would love my new quiet ride. I got in, started the engine and heard the grinding noise from the engine compartment. I went back into the dealership and spoke with the mechanic. He said that replacing the AC compressor usually gets rid of the noise and that it is just the reeds in the compressor making the noise. I said that I would not leave the Aviator now, but would bring it back another time. I drove off.

About a block from the dealership, these weird (new) noises started, the steering got stiff, the vehicle started pulling to one side, and the engine was sounding and behaving strangely. I was terrified! I turned on my flashers, bravely made a u-turn, and headed back to the dealership. I really did not think the vehicle would make it back, but it did.

The mechanic took it for a drive, then another mechanic joined him?The service rep. told me that the transfer case had IMPLODED and that the mechanic put the differential back together too tightly. They would have to keep the Aviator and order parts on Monday.

So I have this beautiful car that is totally trashed that I could never sell! Who is going to buy a car with loose seats, with an AC compressor that sounds like the engine is going to fall out, that has had the rear diff rebuilt, AND the transfer case rebuilt after a dealer-caused implosion! Any advice would be appreciated.

Bribery Too!

I also forgot to mention that the service rep said that he would top off my tank if I brought him the blank customer service survey from my November 5K visit!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Well, the grinding from the A/C is normal if the unit hasn't been used for a couple of days. You can go to the dealership, and start any car on the lot that has been idle for 48 hours, and upon engagement of the A/C, manually, or automatically, it will give you quite a noise, but then that's it. Why it does it, I don't know, but they have done this for years, and I've never had a compressor go bad on me yet. I don't think it's harmful, just a little embarrasing, maybe.

The seat track, sorry to remind you, but I told you there is no fix for that. You get used to it, or at least I did, and don't even notice it anymore.

The transfer case problem, now that's a bummer. But you don't have much choice but to make them see it through a fix it. Unless you have a lemon law that will force them to take the truck back with multiple issues, instead of a repeated one issue, you're gonna have to see it through. You may end up hating the truck, but you sure can't sell it this way, right?

I'm so sorry all this has gone wrong with your Aviator. I am at a loss to understand why, (although you are kinda picky, seat track and all...) Clearly, the rear axle whine is not satisfactory. This is the kind of stuff that can sour one on a brand for life. I wish you well.
  • avfan2avfan2 Posts: 23
    I don't feel safe when the seat moves. What will the seat do in an accident? If it is working loose after only one month, what is going to happen in a head-on in a couple of years. I don't think I am picky, I was ready to settle with just getting rid of the rear-end whine and wait for the other components making noises to fail and then replace them.

I hope that is true about the AC, but you can't blame me for not trusting anything the service rep or mechanic tells me at this point-the rep even told me that the tire pressure monitoring system works by compressing a post between the tire and the rim, the post being "molded" into the actual tire and the next set of tires had to be exactly the same.....not a sensor and transmitter built into the valve stem. If YOU say it's normal for the AC compressor-I believe YOU because even there is no face behind your posts, your information over the past year gives you credibility.
    Please don't take my "picky" designation negatively, you have every right! There are some things I'm horribly obsessive-compulsive about, like lights. EVERY light must work on my cars, EVERY time, or I can't rest! Lotsa people, that's not a priority with, but me, I gotta go get a replacement today, if a light is out, inside or out. So I understand what you're saying.

On the seat, I was thinking back to my first 97 Mountaineer. The seats in that car rocked upon acceration. It was a totally different thing than I think you're describing, which I'm also familiar with, but it bothered me lots. I even had the dealer (who was very accomodating) exchange a seat for a seat in another new Mountaineer, to see if it was better. It wasn't. I never liked that car, as a result, even though the darn thing was really bullet proof! That one design issue kept me from enjoying it.

The seat track slippage that makes it move slightly forward and back on the track is something I've experienced in lots of Fords, Town Cars, 02 Mountaineer, etc., but it just kind of has been pushed out of my mind as an issue. Hope you can do the same, because other than welding the seat in one position, I don't think they have a fix for you.

Your A/C should not do that if you use the car, and or the Climate Control every day. If it does, you have a different issue.

And hell yes, why should you believe the service advisor! Even mine, whom I have used for 10 years, lies to me once in a while. I just shake my head.....
  • acarr46acarr46 Posts: 3
    I have a noise in the cabin of 04 aviator that sounds like a door or the liftgate is not completely shut. it makes the noise when i cross railroad trcks or small ruts in the road.
    Sounds like the right rear side. have had to dealer several times.they replaced the rear shocks, but no help yet.
    any info would be appreciated.
    You're sure your spare is locked down tight, and the jack too? If not that, I wonder if your rear A/C evaporator has come loose in the rear quarter panel? There's a lot of stuff hung in there behind that plastic panel, computer boxes, radio guts is in there too, I think. Maybe somebody put a coke bottle in there for you with a note in it from the factory? Hope not!

This is the type of annoying problem that I usually insist the service manager goes for a ride with me. Once he agrees the noise exists, then I tell him to keep the car and drive it, give me a loaner, and don't call me until it's found and fixed. Sometimes, it's taken a month, but they eventually find and fix it.
  • sirknightdsirknightd Posts: 96
    I love my aviator. I have the loose seat, but I keep it all the way back. So if I inquire I am sure they might say it is because I keep the seat all the way back. I have gotten accustomed to the loose seat with the previous continentals I have owned.After a few hundred thousand miles of lincoln driving you hardly notice it.
    As far as the heat ..I was told that the reason you get the cold air forced through is because they want to pump in fresh air as a safety issue. I forgot to ask if the heat is on the floor only position will cause me to suffocate. Some minor inconveniences. A telescpoing steering wheel would be nice as would a fore /aft adjustment on rear seats as well as heated rear seats.
  • acarr46acarr46 Posts: 3
    thanks for the info.
  • b2xub2xu Posts: 1
    HI, well with almost 11,000 miles on our 2003 Avaitor we have encountered numerous problems...mostly concerning fit and finish. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the interior (door panels, pillar post, headliner, steering column, rear hatch). Also, the side mirrors drive us crazy as they shake slightly at freeway speeds which makes it hard to focus on side traffic. The rear hatch was "fixed" by the dealer...they tweaked one side of the hatch so that it slams down on the tail lamp on one side and rides high on the other...but the problem persists. When the rear side door is opened it hits the back of the front door when car is parked on an angle (our driveway), resulting in chipped paint. Rear end whines but I see that many people have already posted regarding that. We're in So. Cal. so I can't comment on the HVAC problem. Steering wheel shakes when braking at freeway speeds, if I didn't know better I would think it had a bent rotor. Seats are just loose enough to be annoying, driver seat motor clunks. Dealer in Anaheim, Ca. won't fix anything...says mirror shaking is "normal". Upon picking it up after "repairs" we noticed the same noise problems, so we turned around immediatly and told them to come for a ride. They said a tech was not available but I finally got their oil-change guy to ride with us and confirm the noises, and to sign on the work order that he heard them. Service manager refused to acknowledge because the oil-change guy "isn't trained in that field". I guess they offer a class on sqeak and rattle detection!? We're not the kind of people who complain, but we are feeling a bit like suckers now that we've shelled out the $$$ and are stuck with all these problems. Has anyone else experienced these problems, or does anyone know a local Southern Ca. dealership that will take us seriously? It looks like we're headed towards invoking the Lemow Law.
    First horror story we've heard here on the Aviator (or anywhere else, actually). The fit problems are really wierd. These buckets are usually sold gold on fit & finish, especially the body parts. Makes me wonder if yours was damaged in the shipping process or something. No way to prove that I suppose, but I've never seen anything like you're describing there. The frame on this car is as stiff as Al Gore on a Hannity & Combs interview, and it shouldn't be possible to tweak it enough even with a jack, to make the panels touch each other. The seat is about right - I don't even notice it anymore, but they do have some give in them and the motor will clunk as it changes positions and gears. Squeaks and rattles are odd too. I guess there's one in every makes batch, eh? Sorry about yours :(
  • my 2003 aviator awd advanced track works great. When you are going 40mph, the light comes on says check advance track and the suv goes from 40mph to 20mph in 2 sec. I have only 4,500 miles has been to Hempstead lincoln 5 times. They say there is nothing wrong. And say i am the only one in america with this problem. They are no help. Call the 800 #, also no help. What can i do next?
    Well, it is the first time I've heard of this issue, that much is true. When the dealer says you have no problem, that means they can't download an error code from the computer, unfortunately. I presume the car only does this occasionally, and never when they test drive it? I would suggest two things; 1) Ask the service manager if they'll give you a loaner car, and tell him to keep your car and drive it as much as he can until it does it to him. Then, he'll likely fix it as he'll be a believer. Or, 2), try another dealer if possible. Some of them are better than others, believe me.

Above all, stay politely persistent. If you escalate this to anger (which I wouldn't blame you for), the dealer staff will shut down on you - as they get yelled at every day and just naturally defend against that. If you are nice, but persistent, they'll usually come around that you deserve special attention. It's too bad this is how you have to deal with it, but they're people too, and I've found this approach works best. Funny too, how a $20 bill slipped to the service advisor/manager will get you a ton of attention on your vehicle.
  • aa8qfaa8qf Posts: 34
    A bad suggestion, totally unnecessary, and a sad commentary - if you spend this much money on an automobile, dealership should bend over backwards to satisfy you.
    Hey, no problem, don't do it. I'm just saying, I get incredible attention from my dealer, including free detailing about 4 times a year, and I appreciate it, so I tip the service writer. And amazingly, loaner cars are never a problem, neither is appointments or pickups at work, etc. Whatever works for you.
    Giving someone a tip after they have provided you excellent service is much different from "slipping" someone a $20, expecting to get better or special treatment - that's just distasteful.
    In Vegas, slipping is a way of life.
  • thank you, did give him $20. I have no problem doing that. It did help, And people who think, it was wrong they live in fantasy land
    That's right, pal. You tip a waiter after they have taken care of you - but if you tip someone in service prior, (which is done all the time in Vegas, and practically expected), you are guaranteed lots of attention, while everyone else waits.
    I don't live in Vegas. I don't care to go to Vegas. I also don't live in Fantasy Land - just good old hard working, down-to-earth midwest. I'm glad slipping $20 is working for the both of you. Although you may see results, I still contend that it should not be necessary. What ever happened to taking your car in for warranty work and actually getting it repaired?