Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• This is not a characteristic of this vehicle. You are absolutely right, and you should try taking your Navigator to another dealer. No 50-60k luxury vehicle should have steering wheel vibration, let alone a Hyundai, lol. However 9.5 out of 10 times on this vehicle, there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, it is the tires. Have them checked by a dealer that has a clue.

FORD.
  • Just picked up the 04 ultimate navigator and have no problems with the brakes. Traded the 2002 and had no problems with it also. Test drive another one and see if others vibrate as your does.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    With lean codes on both right and left banks, I was thinking more of a bad mass air flow sensor myself........although that's more of a GM failure issue than a Ford issue.....
  • Yes. I have a 2004 Navigator. I bought it brand new. After about 2 months (2700 miles only), today the transmission began slipping and jerking. It won't engage into Reverse from park. We've only made 2 payments on this car. I am so disappointed I could cry. My 13 year old daughter and I were stranded about 70 miles from home and we had to get a tow truck to bring us home and only 35 miles of the towing were covered we paid about $250 of it. Tomorrow I am contacting the dealership and I wish I had bought a Toyota instead!
    Did you call the Lincoln Commitment toll free number for help - and they won't cover the tow?
  • I have had this problem over and over again. First they changed the oxygen sensors. This worked until I was climbing a hill at 70mph with my kids in the car and hard thumping, check engine light flashing, reduced speed to 30mph, check engine light went off and everything fine. Until I got back up to 50 mph then a loud pop and sputtering. Spark plug had popped out of cylinder, guess this rig has chronic problems with one spark plug coil. It had been previously fixed per NHTSA service bulletin, however, since the original fix, they found it didn't work and have a second fix. Too late for me, I got the second fix, had to replace cylinder head. Now it bucks at 1500 rpm especially when climbing. Doesn't do it with hard acceleration, just from dropping down in rpm and having to accelerate again, like when car slows down in front of me and I have to slow down then speed up again. Not sure what to do now.

I'd have them check your coils, maybe the 2nd NHTSA bulletin will help you prevent what happened to mine.
    How many miles on this beast..........
  • I own a 1999 Lincoln Navigator, when I get in or out of my vehicle, randomly the "Door Ajar" will stay lit even though all the doors and lift gate are closed, and because of this my interior lights remain on as well as my running board lights. They will go off eventually after the vehicle is started sometimes they don't. It's getting frustrating I pulled the fuse on the running board lights to keep from draining my battery. The interior lights go off automatically, sometimes. Anyone have this same problem and was able to fix it, or if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
  • mongo1mongo1 Posts: 49
    Greetings jalmanza, may this find you well. I would suspect a defective switch in one of the doors. If dirt or contamination (such as road salt, ect.) gets into these switches, they can corrode and create the illusion that the doors are not closed properly. Removal and cleaning of the contacts with a solvent specifically made for cleaning electrical contacts, (Such as Lectra-motive electrical parts cleaner by CRC for example) may solve your problem. At least it would be a cheap and easy first step to try and isolate the problem. I have a more unusual problem in my Aviator where even after the puddle lights on the outboard mirrors go off, a dim light can still be seen through the turn signal louvers. Anybody out there experience this? Dealer says this is normal, which of course is just so much "Bovine Scatorial" as eventually it will run the battery down as well. Anyway, the switches are where I would start. Proceeding from there to a qualified automotive electrician if that doesn't fix the problem, since it would probably involve an open (short) circuit in the harness. Hope this helps.
    My brakes started grinding on my Navigator at 24,000 miles, which was a shock to me, since my 99 Nav went 65,000 miles on the original brakes linings. So, took it in, and to my amazement, the linings were gone, and so were the rotors! Since these were wear items, I expected to have to pay for the job, but was a little peeved at having to do so at this point, yet I know of a lot of cars that this is considered "normal". Not Lincolns, but some cars it is. When I picked up the car, Ford stepped up and covered it 100%, no questions asked. Now, that's commitment, and that's what I'm used to, and that's what has kept me driving Lincolns for the past 15 years. FWIW. Way to go Lincoln. YMMV, I understand. But I'm very satisfied, still. I just hope THIS set of linings doesn't blacken the wheels so badly, and lasts longer.
  • I hope you haven't paid any money to get this fixed. All you need is some wd-40. Spry it into the door jams/latches and wha-la! Problem solved.
  • I have XM radio and it works fine when the dvd is on. Sorry to hear that this is a problem if you have Sirius.
  • treetree Posts: 2
    I have an air suspension problem on 2000 Navigator 2wd. Under the hood next to the fuse box is an air line union (?) that has failed allowing two sections of air hose to come apart. The "Union" looks like a short black plastic tube which joins two hoses. Can this be fixed by simply replacing the Union? Are any special tools required?
    Just another reason why I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports. I have owned 2 of them. I had 1 minor A/C problem with the 99 in 5 years, I have had a few more minor problems with the 03, but no major ones. The worst car on the planet? Not by a long shot, C/R.
    Upon further reading, I note that is a "Projected" reliability rating by Consumer Report. So it's a guess. Since I drive an 03 Navigator, which is the worst model they made, being the new model year out, and it's the worst car on the market, you may all rest assured that there are no cars to be afraid of on the market and you may buy all cars with confidence. The worst is non too bad at all, so all others would be quite perfect indeed. Consumer Reports is no longer necessary, and may close up shop - and the sooner, the better.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Forbes article about the worst cars ... (*(&&$)***

I have an '04 Navigator ... worst reliability.

and an '01 V6 LS .... worst resale value.

Great.

OTOH, my Nav trouble free so far and it's still A#1 ride.

my LS still worth appx 50% of my new price at age 4 years.

Still ...
  • treetree Posts: 2
    Problem: I have an air suspension problem on 2000 Navigator 2wd. Under the hood next to the fuse box is an air line union (?) that has failed allowing two sections of air hose to come apart. The "Union" looks like a short black plastic tube which joins two hoses. Can this be fixed by simply replacing the Union? Are any special tools required?

The Fix: The part number I was looking for is 5B322 (2L1Z*5B322*AA) and lists for 23.50. It contains just the quick connect union. Replacement was easy. Removing the old union required removing the end caps (which allows the inner collet to be pushed inward), and while keeping the inner collet push in, pulling the hose out. Installing the new union couldn't be simpler. Just push the hose into the end.
  • We purchased our '04 Ultimate Navi brand new and since that time it's been an ULTIMATE pain! From delivery, it's been one problem after another. When we took delivery, the HID headlights didn't work, but the dealer wanted us to drive it off the lot and come back the next morning to fix it. It took three different visits and a call to Lincoln to get that problem solved. Then the steering and front drive system developed a grinding noise then wouldn't steer smoothly. It took 2 weeks to replace ALL of the front system and steering to the column. Then the dealership didn't put on one of the wheel covers and that fell off on the way home. I won't go into that story cause I could write a book on that! Passenger side exterior panel came off. Took three trips and a week to get resolved. Now the transmission has developed a problem. Wrote Lincoln about lack of any REAL customer service and the amount of time to get this DUD in for repairs. Not much help there either, just a friendly voice telling me their position. Oh, by the way this was my second Navigator. The first was a '00 which was perfect and I have special ordered. That one never gave us any problems in the 3 years that we had it. As Ford's "Red Carpet" client's you'd think that lincoln would try harder to please us. They've failed. We're working to have Ford/Lincoln buy this lemon back from us, and it's tough. We won't be buying any more Ford/Mercury/Lincoln products anymore. Seems that all of their products finish last in comps with everthing else in the same class, and I now can attest to that.
  • how doi change spark plugs in 1999 navigator
  • My understanding from the dealer is that changing the plugs are no longer an owner job. The service manager told me that when they do the 100k service, the body is lifted so access to the plugs is possible. If this isn't correct, someone let me know. This info came from Mission Lincoln in Hayward, CA.
  • I have a 1999 Navigator that's having problems starting. After shopping at the mall, I proceeded to start the car and it would not start. At first I thought it was my battery, but I just installed a brand new battery less than 2 years ago! Also, the headlights and the inside lights were working fine, so then of course I thought it might be the starter, but apparently that is not the problem because I noticed my radio would not come on even though every thing else seemed to be working fine! So, then I thought I better get a jump because I may have a bad cell in the battery; well, I got a jump and voila! It started! So, the next day I took the car to get the oil change, and the same thing happened again (it would not start); so they changed out the battery and put a new one in since it was still under warranty; unfortunately, it still wouldn't start! I then told them how I was able to get it started by a jump and so we tried that and it still wouldn't start. The strange thing is (once again) everything seemed to be working except the radio and my door was locking and unlocking by itself and it seemed like it was losing power, but it was chiming fine (while the door was open) and it seemed like it had enough power. Has someone ever had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Do I have a bad relay? Because eventually, after playing with it for a while it started again! But I still don't know what's wrong with it.
    Sounds like a classic malfunctioning after-market alarm problem with a starter-cutout problem. Do you have one? Any other after-market products on the truck?
  • chris15chris15 Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Navigator in the black monotone. Have had problems with the power running boards from the gecko! Have had it in NUMEROUS times without success. The problem is intermittent and difficult to duplicate by the service department. Have gotten into the habit of videotaping each occurence. Have had numerous other ongoing electrical problems, including static coming through the speakers, even when radio off at times. Have filed with the Ford Dispute Settlement Board and am waiting for my day in "court". Any suggestions????
    No - this is the first time I've ever heard of this complaint on a Navigator, but I will say that I worried about those damn running boards, and I rejected them just based on my concern about their reliability at the time. Glad I did I guess.

On the constructive side of things - one thing you may want to try. Power down the truck by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes the Body Control Module can take a lightning hit of sorts and a power clear can straighten stuff like this out for you. It reset the power liftgate on mine once when it quit working.
  • chris15chris15 Posts: 6
    Service Department has been baffled by the problem also. Ford was aware of the power running board problem as they service department was waiting for a "fix" from Ford. Obviously other people with power running boards had a similar problem. They keep talking about the cold weather etc, but problem existed all year long, not just in winter months.
    I'll give the battery suggestion a try. Thanks for your input
  • I own a 1999 Lincoln Navigator. It has been a great vehicle, until it started vibrating. It does it every time I drive, but sometimes way worse than other times. I took it to Lincoln 6 times. They say it doesn't throw anything off when they hook it up to the computer. Since the car is under warranty I haven't had to pay anything. The first time I took it in they replaced the pcv valve assembly. The second time I took it in (because it was still vibrating) They replaced the air unit pump for the air ride suspension. Didn't change anything. I took it in again and they thought it was the engine and transmission mount. I told them how can it be the transmission mount when the vehicle vibrates at a dead stop? Any ways, they changed the engine and transmission mounts on their dime, I guess since the vehicle had been in so many times. They finally told me that the vehicle was getting old, it's at it's end of it's life at 63,000 miles?? I told them I don't think it's Lincolns' intention is to build a 50,000 dollar vehicle to stop running at 63000 miles. So I made them pull up another Navigator with more miles, same year and it didn't vibrate. They have done nothing, but play part replacers. I can do that! Lincoln finally told me that they didn't know and I would have to drive my vehicle in that state.. Can anybody help me?? Please!!
    Antonio
  • Hey man you have a bad coil some where I just repaird mine. Mine did the same thing. I spent money on all the above and more. I finally found it!
  • You think it's a coil? Where? Also I forgot to say that the vehicle runs smooth when it is cold. Especially at start.