Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• It sounds like your shift knob came loose. The spring that works with the big chrome button on the knob has probably come out. You are going to have to dismantle part of your console to put it back together. You start by pulling the one plug on the backside of the window switch housing inside the storage bin and just under the console storage bin lid. After pulling that single plastic plug the switch housing pops off. Just grab it and pull up. Now you will see two screws that hold on the cup holder housing. Remove those and pull out the cup holder housing. Now you should be able to see the shifter mount. Pull the leather down away from the chrome ring below the shift knob. Pull the chrome ring down and you will see a screw or where the screw is supposed to be. It is probably gone but needs to be found or replaced. There is a small wire attached to knob and under knob is a spring that sits in the middle of the shifter shaft. There is a white plasit clip stuck up on the underside of the knob that needs to be pulled out with a little screw driver of something to get the silver plastic cap of the knob. Put the spring back in place so button works and reassemble. Make sure little wire is still plugged before you close it all back up.
  • I have the same problem with the advance trac. The dealer thinks I am crazy, but I have had nothing but problems since I bout my 04 in June. the headlights sometimes do not work. The air conditioning blows hot air to the back, Sometimes it won't even start. It will make a loud noise. I was told that I must be holding the key to long and not releasing it when I start it. I don't know what to do. It has been in the shop more than half of the time since I bought it. they have replaced the entire air conditioning system and it still does not work properly.
  • bluesrx9bluesrx9 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 navi that has not been started in almost two years. I put a new battery in but am afraid to start it because of bad gas. Should I syphon the gas out first. O can I ride it to the gas station and fill it up with good gas. any suggestions? Can I start this thing up with no issues?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The fuel needs to be totally drained and replaced - no doubt about that. Change the oil and oil filter and flush and replace the coolant. Check the tranny fluid - it's probably ok. The brake fluid may need replacing, too. It absorbs water over time. Probably wouldn't hurt to remove the spark plugs and spray a little bit of oil in each cylinder. I'd remove the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over slowly a few times before actually cranking it. 2 years is a long time, especially if it's been outside. If it's been in a garage then it might not be that bad but you must change the oil, fuel and associated filters.
  • c3charc3char Posts: 1
    my 03 navigator,(53,000 miles) starts up, drives good but sometimes when I stop at a stop light while in drive
    car shuts off, put in in park and turn key and it
    starts right away, and no more problems that day, maybe a week later it happens again. Had car checked,first changed cam sensor, then tune up engine, then changed fuel pump, and
    last changed oxygen sensors, but still problems.
    anyone know what could be wrong.
  • my 03 navigator wont start. i have about 50k miles on it. It started two days ago when i would turn it over once nothing happened, then the second time it would just start up right away. Then, yesterday while my fiance and i were out looking for wedding reception sites, when we were leaving on of the places, when i turned the key over it would just make and annoying buzzing sound. The sound seems to be coming from the fuse box on the passenger side. I was looking in there and pushed on the relays. on seemed to be loose and it started right up. Later that night same thing, but it has still yet to start. I pulled all the relays and stuck them back in....still doing it. warranty just expired and i dont want to pay my stealer to fix it. It seems to be something simple? maybe not.....any help?
  • tyler10tyler10 Posts: 4
    i had the same problem you just have to look under the steering wheel on the floor its on the panel if your laying on your back looking up
  • dondazdondaz Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2006 Lincoln Navigator. After a couple of days I started to notice that every time I went to start up the ignition, it would make a weird grinding noise. It sounded as though it was having trouble starting. This noise can only be heard when the suv is started first thing in the morning. After that, the noise will not be heard again until the next morning when I go to start it up. I took it to the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. Can someone please help me?
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Let me try to describe what I think you're hearing - In the morning when you first start the vehicle you hear a fairly loud grrrrpppp kinda sound? The car starts and the sound just as quick goes away? It's not a problem to start the car, it's just you hear this 'extra' noise. And it happens only the first time you start it that day? If this sounds right, then I'll ask - do you run the A/C regularly? I'll bet the answer is yes, after all it is summer. If all this is true then what you're hearing is A/C fluid being forced out of the compressor. I know you think this sounds implausible, but its probably the correct diagnosis. You could verify this by turning the A/C off for a couple days and see if you still get the noise.
    If this is the situation, Ford says it's not a problem and there's no fix. My '04 Nav does it, as does my service advisors '03, as does my '95 ford van. Apparently it's a Ford A/C V8 thing.
    Good luck and enjoy the Nav. There isnt anything much better out there, long as u can afford the gas.
  • 04 every once in awhile will get a thumping noise at start up. Ford said it was a new ac air compressor design that was causing it.
  • i have an 04 navigator
    when i take off it makes a fan like noise and then goes away
    does anybody jnow what this is?
    also my running board make a very loud squeking noise
    but only every once in a while
    i sprayed so wd/40
    and it didnt help
    what sould i do?
  • The running boards on my 04 do the same thing, squeak sometimes and sometimes not. I hope someone has an answer.
  • Hello,

I have a 03 lincoln navigator and while on the highway with a lot of speed my navigator steering wheel vibrates also. My brakes were replaced with brand new brakes and rotors were cut. Rotors were not new. Wheel vibrated before and after the replacements. Any one else have this same issue also?
    Assuming the pads were really replaced and the rotors really turned correctly, it sounds like a bad caliper, wheel or tire or some other problem with the braking system. Try swapping the front and rear wheels and see if the problem goes away. Also check for any loose parts (caliper mounting brackets e.g.).

I assume you only feel the vibration when you apply the brakes. If not then it's a wheel/tire out of balance.
  • have a 2003 Lincoln Navi with 61k miles. Sometimes when I drive and start going over 45 miles the truck starts to pulls and you can feel it.. it is like it was running out of gas. It happens once in a while not all the time. and it is always when i am at 40 or 45 miles. What would be? The Check Engine light is not on
    If you haven't already, change the air filter and fuel filter. If that's not it have them check the ignition coils. Some 2003 Lincolns got an extended warranty on them. Not sure about the Navigator but the dealer will know.
  • In the past two weeks, my windshield wipers will not stop running. At first it would come on whenever I turned on my right turning signal, then it would come on randomly and go off after a few minutes. Now, they run non-stop. Anyone experience with this? Any tips?
  • I have a 03 Navigator, when i'm driving off, it sounds like someone is knocking on my back window. The rear makes a popping noise. When Im driving, my vehicle sputters and stalls on occassions. Anyone with these problems? Any help?
  • It happen the same thing to me, but it is when i turn on the rear a/c on the first option. I don't know what is it yet but I will find out.
  • Hello,

I have a 03 Navigator also. I have the same popping noise coming from the rear. I believe it is normal.