Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sam98navsam98nav Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem that seems to be coming from my driver door....
    door ajar stays lit while driving .......and running board lights and dome lights stay on....the problem occurs when it feels like.....did the wd40 thing work or do i have to dismantal the door panel....?
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    After a year and a half and (only) 14,000 miles my wife and I and kids are still lovin our 2004 Navigator. No problems. It's a loaded Ultimate, everytthing except power running boards. From what I've seen that's the biggest trouble spot on these vehicles. Just kick back and enjoy the ride - especally since you bought the extended warantee.

Caveat - just because of the nature of the beast, I would expect that it'll be more problematic over 149,000 than a sedan.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I tried the WD40 thing unsuccessfully myself - so I finally took it in to the dealer and they oiled up the switches really well - the problem has not come back. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did, but that does seem to be the correct remedy.
  • darvv1ndarvv1n Member Posts: 5
    Hey ted, You should have inquired about getting the vehicle certified which takes the manufacturer's warranty to 6 year 75 thousand miles the cost is about 700 bucks on that, any other warranty you purchase you are just paying more profit than you should. and most of those have a deductible. Trust me i know, My Customers Love Me when i tell them about the certification.Good luck,
  • 1rayray1rayray Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the most affordable way to find a 60/40 split bench seat for my 2000 Lincoln Navigator. I will soon be a new father and my wife explains that a baby is the most safe in the middle of the back seat. Our suv did not come this way so I am looking for suggestions. We have a center console in the middle of the backseat. I thought that buying a new or used seat would be better than trading my vehicle. I like my vehicle! What can I do?
  • tedzepplintedzepplin Member Posts: 5
    I will remember that next time, thank you! Of course, the dealership has no incentive to tell me (the customer) about the certification process. I am looking at a 2005 Ultimate now *sigh*, my wife won't gimme back my 2003.. It's a pre-owned with only 5,000 miles, apparently the guy couldn't make the payments. It still has the plastic on the floor in the back seat.
    Try www.ebaymotors.com
  • bomberobombero Member Posts: 12
    I am trying to understand what you mean by getting the vehicle certified? I have the 4 year 50,000 miles warranty and I would love to extend it another 25,000 miles. Is this certification something I need to ask the dealer about?
    flatratetech.com (there message boards are very helpful)
    I have a 2003 Ultimate equipped with a navigation system. I am not sure if there is a special name for the unit, I do know it is GPS enabled, it is integrated with the stereo, and has a 5" LCD screen. It also displays the CDDJ info, the radio station, etc... I know it is a factory unit. When I purchased the vehicle, the disc, or disc's, used for the system were missing. I have found a replacement for about $100.00, it is factory sealed, and it clearly says on it that it is for my year Navigator. The dealership wanted over $350.00 for the very same item. Here is my problem: I know that Lincoln used to use a CD-Rom based system at one point for the navigation system, and this new disc is a DVD. How can I be sure that my navigation system is the one that uses the DVD, or the CD-Rom? Did the switch to DVD take place between model's, or in mid-model year? I know it sounds like a no-brainer, after all, the DVD clearly states that it is for use with my year Navigator navigation system, however it is my luck that there was a mid-year change at Lincoln, and my system would not be compatible with the DVD. Any help would be appreciated.
  • mizval1mizval1 Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2002 Gator and the audio sound sucks!! I love driving this vehicle but I don't understand how an expensive auto could have a system that sounds so flat and blah. It doesn't get very loud and has no bass. I know it's a factory installed radio/cd changer, but I still expected more out of it. My Suzuki factory installed system has bass, sound, equalizer and more speakers. So why?? is it not standard on the big Gator. If I'm lucky maybe there is a wire loose somewhere. Are there others out there who have or previously had this same problem? What did you do to resolve this problem?
  • jstitan0488jstitan0488 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my dads 2003 navigator today and now it says door ajar even though none of the doors on the passenger side are opened.. and the running board on the passenger side stays out and so do the lights.. and since the car thinks a door is opened the air suspension doesnt turn off and lower.. i need help because i think our warranty is over because of the mileage
    Yours doesn't have the Alpine system in it? Must have been a rental in the previous life. They otherwise came with the Alpine system which is all you should ever need.
    The fix for this is to lubricate the door switches really well, which is the black thingy that sticks into the door well when you open and close the door. When they get dirty or dusty, they fault giving the open signal, which disables a bunch of other functions including the auto leveling, and disables your keypad on the door, your convenience lights, etc. Shoot a ton of WD-40 in there and hope for the best. That's what the dealer will do.
    Well, in case anyone is interested, I went and purchased the DVD for the navigation system. As luck would serve me, it is NOT :mad: compatible with my Navigator. Oh sure, it says clearly on the label that it is for ALL 2003 to 2005 Navigators equipped with the Navtech system, but that is not the case. It appears that your Navigator had to be manufactured after February, 2003 in order to make use of the DVD system. In my case, my Navigator was manufactured in December of 2002, therefore, it was still using the CD-Rom based system. This was a huge surprise to both myself and the dealership that recommended the E-bay part for me to buy. Needless to say, the dealership is willing wi trade me out the ten disc CD-Rom set for the DVD maps. I thought this was awful nice, considering they will be eating about $250.00, and they didn't sell me the part to begin with, but I am not arguing.
  • faznavfaznav Member Posts: 1
    The dealership I purchased my 2004 Nav from installed the Satellite Kit and it works great. However, my FM radio does not work at all. The FM worked for a short while after installation, but not at all now. I was wondering if there is a reset for the stereo radio (maybe an anti-theft type reset). Like when you loose power in some vehicles you have to reset the anti-theft stereo system. I can't find anything about an anti-theft reset.

The dealership is saying they will have to order a new radio system.
    2004 nav. immediatlely after the 10,000 mile service one of the hub caps went missing. service dept replaced it and I didnt think any more about it. after the 20,000 mile service the hub cap went missing again. I believe its the same rim. could the rim be faulty causing the hub cap to come off?
    I think it could. I've never lost one in 30,000 miles, but my buddy's Expedition has lost a bunch of them, most of them from his left front wheel. I think that wheel doesn't hold them well...but that's just my theory.

Then again, you could have a thief who prefers to victimize that particular wheel only for some reason, perhaps because of where you park.
  • sturgis270sturgis270 Member Posts: 1
    Girl friend (56 yrs. old ) has a 2000 Navigator. On the way home Sunday from a long drive it developed a whine in the rear end. Dealer told her today she needs a new rear end for $2000 plus labor. Vehicle has 65000 miles and has been totally babied. Never towed anything or been used off road. I'ved never had a rear end go out in any vehicle much less one that is this expensive. Anyone else experienced a similar problem? Thanks for the info.
    That is an odd failure, and unheardof in that year Navigator. I'd get a second opinion from another dealer or independent shop if I were you.
  • zionzion Member Posts: 3
    after i replaced a dead battery my navi is vibrating. what could be causing this.
    Insufficient information. How and where is it vibrating? The engine? The steering? The seat? What?
    the engine started vibrating after i change battery. the battery was dead and the suv was down for a day before i change it. do anyone know what could be causing the vibration.
    The only thing that changing the battery could really do to cause that, is to de-program your engine computer, which may need to re-learn open loop operations for your engine. In this case, driving it a few miles should fix it. Otherwise, they two events should be unrelated. How bad is it shaking? A little, or a lot? It is on idle only, or under load too?
    the engine light came on today. had it checked out and found a bad coil. thanks for helping me out nvbanker.
    That would do it!
  • hrodz01hrodz01 Member Posts: 1
    Im having a bit of a problem removing a damaged lower ball joint in the right side. I also had a damaged outer control arm that Ialready replaced. What would be the best way to remve the lower one?
  • rjohnson1rjohnson1 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 98 Navigator 104,800 miles, often tow my 18 foot boat, cannot recall getting the rear differential, wet, but maybe so. Owner's manual said this gasket last for life of vehicle as long as it does not get submerged in water. Mine started dripping oil 4 months ago when I replaced the air suspension at the dealer $800plus. Anyway, I was told that they no longer replace the gasket, you use silicone costs $20.00 at dealer, my question is where is the oil fill plug/hole and if I don't have one, can't find it, how do you replace the 5.5 pints of 75w145 fully synthetic oil? I tightened two bolts, top and bottom on this rear end the leak is gone so far, just looking at the future. And other than the air suspension this has been the only major think that has gone wrong, I purchased used with 40,000 miles on it. Thanks
  • mtgsxr7502003mtgsxr7502003 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 lincon navigator, it runs fine but when I stop at light or stop sign it starts to idle very bad, it has cut off on me a few times and I dont know what to do. When I first start my vehicle it revs up to 2000 rpms and slowly comes back down. I also hooked it up to the code reader and it says that my fuel is too lean in bank 1 and in bank 2. I have 4 o2 sensors can anyone tell me which o2 sensors those are????? And can you also tell me what can be causing this problem???????
  • lisazyglisazyg Member Posts: 4
    I have an '04 Navigator and it currently has 22k miles on it. Oddly just days after my husband bought the car for me, I told him I could hear a whining noise in the rear end on the passenger side. I told him I thought there was a problem with the rear end. He thought I was nuts and said he couldn't hear anything. Recently I've had the car in because it's not shifting propery. At 60mph on the freeway it was holding steady at 5000 rpms. Not right! The dealership tried telling me that it's my clutch fan kicking in and making noise. I just took it back in yesterday and demanded that they find what the problem is. They just called to say there's a problem with the rear end, however I'm still wondering if that would in fact effect the way my car's shifting. I worry that I'm still going to have problems. At times it sounds like a jet engine because the engine always revs up so much. Not what I expected for $62k.
  • lisazyglisazyg Member Posts: 4
    That is so weird because I had mine in for 15K service and after I got home I noticed my rear, passenger side center hub cap was missing. I called about it and the dealership said they'd be happy to sell me a new one. My husband went in, and well, he came back with one replaced at no-charge.

Funny thing is a week or two later I was at the mall and walked by a Navigator, not sure what year, and it was missing the very same hub cap as mine. Really weird.
    If your rear end, or a wheel was seizing up, your shifting would be affected severly, and your engine would have to rev like crazy to move the car. But it may not be the rear end, it could be a brake malfunctioning, or the traction control holding a wheel tight when it shouldn't be. Your best case here is your RPMs at 5000 going 60mph. It should be turning about 2400 rpms at 60 in OD. Take a service advisor or manager with you for a ride, make them acknowledge the problem. It'll get fixed.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    This may sound crazy and humorous but on three occasions driving my '05 Navigator at night, we heard what appeared to be a whooping sound coming from the rear hatch area.

The first time it happened we joked and said it was some animal in the back of the car. But, after the second and third time it was really perplexing. I am wondering how i would present this to the service advisors. ;) They will definitely give me a strange look. :confuse:

Could it be the rear A/C system de-pressurizing or pressurizing itself? Sounds like a small primate whooping in the forest if you understand what I mean. Like a whooping noise caused by the suction or vacuuming of air. Not loud, but noticeable. I am not kidding. Could it be the rear air suspension or auto lift gate systems? It only has 500 miles on it.

I will take the jokes as well as any advice...Thanks
    I have that same noise (I think) in the back of my 03 - and I've pretty much decided it's the rear muffler, but it hasn't annoyed me enough yet to do anything about it......
    I drove it the other day again and had a rear passenger. They noted it came from the right and then left rear area at different times. They were sitting in the second row. The next day i sat in the third row for a short 5 minute test drive and did not hear a thing.

i am thinking it is not the muffler since it is located on the right rear side and it sounded like a reverse air flow whistling sound. Imagine whistling but instead of blowing air out you are drawing air in to produce a whistle. Not high pitched sound but mellow. Lasts for about 1 - 2 seconds.

I will double check the muffler though. I checked the air suspension and it looked and sounded normal when lowering and raising. The sound may only occur when driving though and I couldn't check it then.

It still might be the rear A/C. Does anyone know if the navigator has a separate rear A/C unit in the right rear cargo area? If so, does it draw air from the rear area also?

I will keep posting updates.
    Yes, the AUX air conditioner is in the RR quarter panel space. If it only lasts a second, it sounds like a bad expansion valve. Something Ford has had a problem with for a while.
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    When I was in high school, my 1970 Impala occasionally had strange whooping sounds coming from the back seat area.
    Can you describe the actual part and it's function? Does it effect the A/C system in any way? How can you convince the service people that there is a defect without having them "try" to reproduce it?

Are there any conditions which would trigger it so I have a good chance of reproducing it for them?

Thanks NVBANKER, you are a wealth of knowlegde for me so far!
    Ouch, wealth of knowledge is a bit much to live up to.

Simply put, the expansion valve in any air conditioner meters the flow of refrigerant so that it will keep the evaporator as cool as it can. If it malfunctions, you can have waves of cool, warm, cool, warm, cool, etc... It also, can make a noise like a howl, but not always. One symptom does not depend upon the other either...If it's working correctly, it will release the proper amount of refrigerant at all times, cooling your evaporator coil, which makes your cold air.

They're going to have to test it to find the problem, and it's going to be hard, as with any intermittant problem, but if you point them that direction, you may have a chance - assuming I'm right.

My advice is free, and worth the price. :blush:
  • coolnavcoolnav Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Navigator and when I get up to about 45-50 mph the steering wheel starts to vibrate pretty severely sometimes. I have 22" wheels on the vehicle so I am uncertain if it is a problem with the Navigator or with the wheels. I purchased the vehicle used with 17,000 miles and the wheels were already on it. But by reading so of these messages it appears that the problem might be with the Navigator and not the wheels. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
  • scootertrash2scootertrash2 Member Posts: 71
    Have you rotated those oversize wheels? Had them balanced?
  • coolnavcoolnav Member Posts: 2
    I just had them balanced and rotated. The problem almost appears to be worse. I wonder if the best thing to do is to find a set of stock wheels and tires and put them back on. I am afraid to take it to the dealer with these large wheels and tires because I know they will blame them and it may void my warranty right? I was just curious if there was an issue with a steering vibration problem on 2003 Navs even with the stock wheels. Thanks for your input.
    The Navigator has rack & pinion steering, very sensitive to any imbalance, out of round conditions, or tread separations. ANY. Also, picks up the road like an finger, so you can tell exactly what's under your truck - but an extreme precise sensitivity to any bad wheel conditions is the price you pay. There is a problem with the truck therefore with stock wheels, if the tires are bad or imbalanced. Even a slightly bad tire will be felt. Aftermarket wheels are rarely round, and will give you problems on any high-end car. My BMW was exactly the same, and I either had to stay with the stock wheels, which were fine, or live with a constant vibration from out of round aftermarket wheels.
    Another update,

The howling or whooping noise occurs only after the rear AC is turned off. If the rear AC is on then it does not howl or make any unusual noise. Once you turn it off it happens. I am not sure if the rear AC has to be activated first and then shutdown but the sound occurs with it off.

Does the rear AC expansion valve activate when you turn off the rear AC and leave it off? Therefore, the sound/noise comes from the AC expansion valve when the AC is off?? Why is valve active when the system is off? :confuse:
    In Service now,

They are replacing the rear AC evaporator/expansion valve assembly. Should be done today. One note, they gave me loaner car from Enterprise car rental(at the dealer) and they will be charging me taxes for its use. The dealer will pickup the retal cost but not the taxes...??

This is not the dealership where I purchased my 2005 Navi from. The dealership I purchased it from does not charge me a thing. I also have the Lincoln PremiumCare extended warranty. So taxes equate to about $8 a day. Why?? :confuse:

I took it to this current Dealership service dept. b/c it was closer to where I live. For $8 a day I may drive a little further to the dealer where I bought it from.

Anyone here ever had to pay taxes for their "free loaner" car when your Lincoln was in warranty service?
    In Service now,

They are replacing the rear AC evaporator/expansion valve assembly. Should be done today. One note, they gave me a loaner car from Enterprise car rental(at the dealer) and they will be charging me taxes for its use. The dealer will pickup the retal cost but not the taxes...??

This is not the dealership where I purchased my 2005 Navi from. The dealership I purchased it from does not charge me a thing. I also have the Lincoln PremiumCare extended warranty. So taxes equate to about $8 a day. Why?? :confuse:

I took it to this current Dealership service dept. b/c it was closer to where I live. For $8 a day I may drive a little further to the dealer where I bought it from.

Anyone here ever had to pay taxes for their "free loaner" car when your Lincoln was in warranty service?
    I bought my 04 nav at witt in san diego. they have a hertz dealer on the lot. I have found the cars they offer are not first rate rentals. I probably have a total of 20 days worth of free car rentals on account of the service department wrecked my car. I found that the dealer tries to give you a cheap rental car as to an expensive one. first time they tried to give me a worn out small mitsubishi and I complained that it wastn right. I felt they should rent me a vehicle equal to the one that they damaged. I ended up with an explorer.
    An explorer? Man, they are really being cheap. I have gotten Lincoln LSs for my loaner cars. We have a Lexus and they provide loaners without any inconvieniences or costs(no thrid party vendors). Why does Lincoln contract loaner cars from Enterprise? Doesn't that end up costing them more hiring a third party? I probably don't know but why would it be cheaper to contract Enterprise to loan out cars you manufacture and provided to Enterprise originally?

For over $52,000 and the Extended Service Plan you expect a little more from the service dept. Didn't Lincoln include my loaner car costs in the price of the car? That is why they advertise "Free/Complimentary loaner cars."
    Positives: headlights turn the night into day, navigation system, back up warning device, comfortable, auto lift gate, lots of storage

Negatives: gas guzzler, expensive

Even though I believe in buying american made I dont think I would buy another. Its not the cars fault, but the dealer. Like I said in a previous post the service dept wrecked it 10 days after buying it. They were prompt about fixing it, but didnt offer anything to ease the pain.
    I feel for you. My Navigator is great(The car itself). I have been to two different dealer service depts three times. The first time and dealer(where i purchased) they left grease marks all over my Dove grey driver seat and door. I had to point it out and demanded them to clean it up. Plus a very small door ding that I did not mention to them. Where are the quality checks? The second time to the same dealer left grease marks on my second row seats and the headliner. Proves to me that it was not a one time slip in quality.

Now, recently picked up my Ultimate from another dealer service department. They addressed/fixed my howling rear AC noise quickly and was going to charge me sales tax on the loaner car. When I picked it up yesterday they dinged the passenger door lower body panel trim. A three inch by two inch red mark on the lower door trim. Glad it was on the trim and not the door metal itself. It is sad to say that I am glad it was damage to something else.....there shouldn't be damage at all. Well, they were prompt in trying to remove the mark but some couldn't be fully removed. He offered to repaint it and I was sick to my stomach. He also comp'ed my taxes on the loaner car. Wish he would comp my time, energy, and frustration.

Eventually he located a new lower door trim part that is factory repainted and he will replace it without repainting. I have seen their paint matching and that is not an option to repaint the damaged old trim piece. I am worried that they will do more damage removing/installing the door trim or somewhere else on the car. We decided to go ahead with it. Waiting for part to come in next week. I will just chalk it up to more wasted time and frustration if they mess up again.

I am with you on not buying Lincolns again because of the poor quality of service. The service advisers are courteous and professional but the technicians/porters/facilities are substandard. I have less the 800 miles on my car, 90,200 more to go. I am queasy to think about future service visits on my remaining 6yr/100K mile ESP warranty..... :(