Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kwynn06kwynn06 Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 06 navigator and after a week the check engine light came on. I took the car to Advance Auto Parts and got a quick diagnostic test ran and it showed the catalyc converter and oxygen sensor on bank 2. i'm wondering would this be under the warranty that I have left on the vehicle and is this a common problem?
  • zekozeko Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2033 lincoln navigator and can't get the power lift gate to open with nothing ,I tryed the battery for 20 seconds and still can't get it to open is there any thing I can do to get to open ? Very skilled mechanically and electrically so any help would be great . Thanks.
  • I am having the exact same problem as everyone else... 85K miles need to replace cylinder head. I am curious jlevin1, who did you talk to (dealership or Ford) and what sort of argument did you make. Did you find a fairly logical approach of I'm a good customer in good standing and would like to buy more lincoln/ ford products in the future or did you take more of a foot-stomping approach?
  • i bought this from small dealership in feb. had brand new tires....within 1 month metal was showing on front tires...took it in, said was totally out of alignment...bought 2 new front tires..different brand from back...had it alligned and now 3 months later the front tires are almost bald again, mainly on right...had it alligned twice....why...they said air suspension was fine....
  • denhamdenham Posts: 76
    You were told it was totally out of alignment before it was aligned, and now 3 months later shows tire wear. I would go back so they can recheck the alignment and it maybe that it was so far out before they aligned that it may need a another or a fine tune.
    I take it that you have OE wheels and tires, if not this may well be your problem.
    I have been in the Tire and Alignment business now 38 years! and have saw it all.
    Dennis
  • 03gator03gator Posts: 1
    my battery was dead on my navi for about 2 weeks so i had to charge the battery, when i finally got the truck started my check suspension message was on, and my bags wouldnt air up, i checked the fuses that the owners manual said were tied to the air suspension, but they were all good. i also flipped the switch at the back of the truck a few times but nuthing happend, i also tried to drive it. im all out of ideas nothing was wrong with the air ride before so why would having a dead battery kill the suspension system. can someone please help me.
  • I just wanted to let you I had the same problem with my shifter and I followed your instruction and it was to the T now my shifter is back to normal, thank you and great job with the instruction.
  • Hello all,
    I am having a problem with my Navy. It whines to high heavens at startup sometimes. I turn the ignition, and it gives off this whirr like metal running across cement. It may do it a time or two more, then it starts liek a champ.

I have replaced the starter 8 weeks ago. Also, changed the battery cables. The techs say my electrical system is fine...good battery, alternator and starter, and corresponding wiring.

What could it be? This does not sound good... Oh, by the way, I am at 200,250 miles. Changed out the trans at 195, and had some idler valve problems at 140 or so...other than that, has run like a champ.

Please help. :confuse:
  • It sounds like a problem I had. Check out my post in the Navigator loud noise section.
  • it's a 9mm allen wrench the only place I was able to find one was at a reasonable price is one set at Lowes just happens to have on you can buy it direct from ford but it's super expensive.
  • passenger side in the little pane. have to get up under to be able to see it...
  • nonosnonos Posts: 6
    WELL I WAS HIT FROM BEHIND ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO, GEICO WENT OUT SAW MY BUMPER, I ALSO TOLD THEM MY CAR WAS MISFIRING EVER SINCE THE ACCIDENT, I TRIED AND TRIED, BUT THEY SAID WITHOUT PROOF THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY THE ACCIDENT THEY WOULD"NT DO ANYTHING. WELL I'M DRIVING DOING ABOUT 60MPH AND IT CUTS OFF ON ME ? I THOUGHT IT WAS THE STARTER, TOOK IT TO PEPBOYS AND A SECOND MECHANIC AND BOTH TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS STUCK, I THOUGHT IT WAS OIL BUT NO, IT WAS LOW BUT NOT OUT OF OIL, THEN I WAS TOLD , I COULD HAVE DROPPED A VALVE, OR THERE COULD BE WATER IN THE PISTON? SHOULD I JUST TEAR THIS ONE APART OR BUY A USED ONE? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. TIMES ARE TIGHT AND I ONLY GOT ONE CRACK AT THIS.

THANKS AGAIN
    CARLOS WELL, WITHIN DAYS THEY CUT ME A CHECK
  • The 8th digit of the VIN:

Lincoln Navigator
    1998-2003
    5.4L VIN L : 5.4L Single Overhead Cam

1998-2003
    5.4L VIN A : 5.4L Double Overhead Cam

see also:

Romeo vs Windsor Engines

Hope this helps!
  • I have a 1999 Navigator with a 5.4 liter /DOHC (vin A) engine. 200,000 miles.

Everything worked and the engine ran well until one cold day recently when the Service Engine Soon light lit. At the same time the engine developed a distinct hesitation/miss. I have had Coil Packs go out in my Ford Trucks and this felt like I had just lost a coil pack. No biggie no worries.

The car goes to a Lincoln Dealership. They diagnose two coil packs bad. re assemble and have the same warning and miss..they diagnose a third coil pack faulty. reassemble and still has the miss...they replace 2 more packs found faulty -- still misses. They replace 8 coil packs -- still misses. They then diagnose a faulty relay (don't tell me which one) and then a 2nd relay and finally a third one which was back-ordered for five days...now the engine has 8 new coil packs and three relays for God knows what and the engine has the same miss...so they diagnose further and tell me the computer has become faulty, and also by the way, the engine no longer will start...

Suggestions?
  • Love the message board. Great info! Here is my issue. Today, I needed a jump. Jumped My 03 Navigator from the BMW 745. There are not any signs on the posts of the car, so accidentally crossed the cables. The truck starts and runs fine but it will not raise, the adv track light is on saying "check" and my stereo system will not come on. I checked all of my fuses, they are all good. I checked the fusible link, its fine. Have not checked all the relays but since none of my fuses are blown, I am assuming the relays are OK! Oh, also my power steering is not power steering. Any suggestions?
  • hernan2hernan2 Posts: 1
    i need a maintenance to my navigator i host in scottdale 85253 i want to know where are the place nearest
  • chrislebchrisleb Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Navigator Ultimate limited and love it! It has about 111K miles on it and have had very few problems. I am having one ongoing problem which no one seems to be able to correctly identify. When initially starting my car, I hear a loud metallic "clunking" noise which sounds like its coming from the back. It also "clunks" which I first start driving up to about 20 miles an hour. It's not a continual clunk. It's just one, big, scary "CLUNK."
    Sounds terrible. Like my car is belching!
    Any suggestions on what it might be??? Hope its not my transmission!
  • bobbydibobbydi Posts: 1
    I,m no expert, but here's my experience with my 1999 Navigator. Over the years I have had coils fail and had them replaced to resolve rough running problem. That usually worked. However, at about 167,000 miles it didn't work and dealer said problem was engine needed a valve jib, but that couldn't be done due to aluminum heads. They recommened head replacement at $4K. I had another mechanic I trust check it and got same diagnosis. I checked cost of complete engine replacement with new short block and heads - $8K. I did that at Lincoln dealer because it gave me 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty and who knew if the other head would go bad. I hope this isn't your problem. Ford should be ashamed of putting and engine that unreliable in a $50K + vehicle. Makes it tought ot buy American and not feel like a fool.
  • eaglewerkseaglewerks Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    The referenced Navigator is now history...LOL I now own a "new" model year 2000 (built last day of July 2000) Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with 170,000 miles. One owner, a noted surgeon, all options, smells and appears new inside and out. The good doctor had it serviced, oil and filters and safety checked, at the selling dealer every 90 days. He also was picky and at each service noted anything he wanted changed or replaced, like window switches or armrest switch plates which were looking worn, etc. The engine and transmission have never failed in this particular car. It looks, smells, run and drives like a new showroom car. Serial Number 1FMPU18L3YLC4XXXX . I am now a very happy camper!
  • mac905mac905 Posts: 1
    i have a lincoln navigator with 136,543 miles on it and just changed all 8 spark plugs and all 8 coils because had a valve cover gasket leak apon putting truck back toghter and taken it for test run engine started shake when idlen but uncontrolable at speeds past 50mph.
    so first i check the firen order which was all in order then next i checked all vaccum hoses for leaks all where good so for good measure i changed the the egr vaccum siloned but nothing changed still had rouph idle and could not go past 50 mph so for one last shot i checked the mass air sencer made sure there was power going to it and made sure there was not dirt or oil on it so i really can't figure this one out and help would be great