Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• HELLO! I AM I LINCOLN NAVIGATOR OWNER AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU.MY CAR ALSO HAS 62,000 MILES ON IT,A CRACKED HEAD, AND BELIEVE ME ALOT MORE!! BUT STEEL I CAN GET ANY HELP ON IT FROM ANY LINCOLN /DEARSHIPS/CUSTOMER SERVICE/ESP. I JUST REALLY THINK ITS TIME FOR TO DO SOMETHING!!! SO HOW ABOUT YOU?
  • I recently bought a 2001 Navigator with the premium Alpine upgraded system. I know there was another message here a while back that generated no response, but I have the same complaint that person did. While my reception is fine, the sound quality is really thin, with virtually no bass. My mechanic called his favorite car audio expert in my presence, and he said those Alpine systems are so complex and hard to work on that servicing them is not cost-effective. The area's leading audio dealer (with non-commission staff) told me that my audio components cannot be replaced individually. I'd either have to replace the entire system (all speakers, head unit, disc changer, sub-woofer, etc.), or try adding an additional sub-woofer bolted down in the cargo area (ugly and still about $500). Am I really the only one confronting this dilemma (the experts don't seem very surprised), or am I being misinformed?
  • I had a 2000 Navigator with the Alpine system and I found it to be just fine. Bass is ok for normal listening. I don't know what your expecting, but your not going to get a "BOOM" system that the aftermarket will provide. If that's what your looking for, then this Alpine system ISN'T what you want. It was never intended to be played loud or to impress the neighborhood. Total output is only 280 watts across 5 speakers which aren't anything but paper coned cheapies.
  • I had a 1997 Explorer with standard factory radio, and it was like a concert hall compared to the Navigator. I really think there's something wrong it. I'm a 46 year old guy and not lookin' to rattle the windows. The difference between turning the bass all the way down and all the way up is minimal. No one would pay hundreds extra for this tinny sound.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I agree with you, the 97 Explorer ( I had one too) was quite the boomer. My Navigator(s) however, were excellent too. Something is wrong with yours. Sounds like the amp is bad.
  • Sounds like you've got a sub-speaker that's gone out. If all of the other speakers are working, then the dealer will have to replace the sub or the crossover that's inline. You don't need to replace everything as someone has told you.
  • Someone please help. After my '99 Navi slowly died out in my garage yesterday, it will not start. It cranks but my truck's engine will not turn over. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know what the solution to this problem could be? I had the battery checked and it's good. What could it be :cry: ?
    Your fuel pump has likely died.
  • :sick: Yes my 1999 lincoln navigator air is out when i turn on the a/c i hear a hissing noise in the back i took it to a guy today and he checked it and he thinks it may be the expansion valve do u know how much they cost and also would that be making the air in the front not cold air? i heard no soo i dont know and another thing is the air bags in the back are goin out u know how much it would cost?
    Yes, that can make your front air not cold as well. He's probably right about the expansion valve, but I don't know what it will cost to fix. Sorry.
  • Like I had previously posted the left headlight did not come on several times when set in the auto position. I never mentioned it to the service dept. because it only happened a couple of times and it was easy to correct. After reading the post on here about it I mentioned it to service and they admitted there was a TSP on it and they replaced something. I had noticed and my wife had mentioned that the wiper blades streaked the window when used. We noticed what a poor job the blades did from the time we bought it. I mentioned that to service and they replaced the whole mechanism. Basically trouble free from last maintenance.
  • I am in the process of purchasing a Navigator and was reading this forum.....so I thought this info might be of some value to you.......I had this same problem with my Corvette. I took it to a friend and he had to take the entire guage cluster out and replace a chip. Cost me $300 just for the part. Your best bet is to have someone who is familiar with vehicle electronics (not vehicle electrical ...that's totally different) examine your guage cluster. By the way, is the dimmer switch turned up all the way?
  • brycarbrycar Posts: 10
    it might be that ur battery is roughted or something my aunt has one and we took the cables off and cleaned them and the light went off it resets the computer
  • I checked my owners manual and could not find the word "roughted".
  • I have an '04 Nav that was bought used with 28,000 miles. I noticed a humming sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. Sounded like tranny, but was not sure. Dealer confimed when they took it apart and said they were ordering "parts". Would they replace the bearings? The whole thing? I failed to ask them this.
    After reading about the headlight problems from other members online, I also mentioned to the dealer that someone had told me (after I was out of the car) that I had a headlight out. When I got back in the vehicle and turned the car back on, they were both on...someone mentioned a Ford TSP on this issue. What does that mean?
    I can't find "roughted" on Google either. I must be a moron.....
    1) The Tranny is in the front on these trucks....

2) If you have HID headlights, sometimes they'll misfire on start up and appear to be burned out. A Refire of the headlights (turning them on again) will most often, fire them up right. This is not unique to Lincoln, but to all cars with HIDs
  • That's odd that it is in the front...the service manger went on a test ride with me and when I told him the sound was coming from the front of the vehicle, he corrected me to say it was actually in the back! None the less, they have ordered parts and are replacing the bearings?
    On the front light, they actually found bad wiring under the passenger kickplate and had to replace it. They just called and said they while fixing that, they cracked a piece of plastic that had to come out to get to it. Not sure how or why they would have thought to look there, but it sounds like this must be a problem they have had before...whew! After getting on this website and reading everyones comments, I hope I made the right choice! I traded in an '03 Aviator that had the power steering line severed by a fan belt, ABS go out(twice) and a cracked head at 51,000 miles that was replaced at $3,600!
    Well, I've had nothing serious go wrong with my Navigator, in 33,000 miles so far. I would think you made a good choice.
  • Well i need info about putting 24 or 26'' wheels on a 06' navigator ultimate 2wheels drive:will it mess up anything or do i have to do something to the truck before ading the wheels? :confuse:
  • i am also thinkin about installing lambo doors(vertical door) on the navigator and acuple of performance part to the computer chip and engine.is there any precautions i sould take before modifing?
    You're obviously going to pimp this truck up seriously, so I expect you'll have a ton of problems - but one you can just expect to have, is those wheels will give you a lot of grief up to your steering wheel. But I suspect a smooth ride isn't a priority for you, given what you intend to modify.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Just wanted to pass this along. Took my Nav in for a bit of warrantee work. One of my complaints was a very subtle vibration I could feel at low speed (say 20-30mph) and with little to no pressure on the gas pedal. It was admittedly a nit, but it was there. I had complained about this to my selling dealership (North Bay Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in Santa Cruz California) early on and of course the tech could not feel it. Well 18000 miles later it's still there but I've since been taking my Lincolns to a dealership near work (Sunnyvale Lincoln Mercury) and they are so much better than North Bay it's like night and day.

They found I needed a transmission mount thanks to this TSB and an alert tech. They replaced that and the vibration is gone. The TSB says I believe to replace the 4x4-type mount with the 4x2 type mount. I'm happy.

Oh, and along the lines of service depts - another complaint I had when I first bought the car was the driver's door inside door handle was not flush with the fascia. It stuck out at a small but perceptible angle and the slightest pull on it would open the door. Well the service dept at N Bay got out a micrometer and said the deviation from flush was "within spec". So that was the other problem Sunnyvale fixed for me - and they found that (I'm paraphrasing from a verbal description by the service advisor) one of the screw holes for the fasteners which attach the door handle had not gone totally thru all the surfaces. So the screw was sticking out and was (I inferred) pushing the handle out from flush. In any case, it's fixed now, it's flush and the 'pull' required to open the door is quite normal now.

So I guess my message is - and this applies to any car or truck - if it ain't right, insist on getting it fixed and if they won't do it find a dealer who will.
  • New to this board so please be patient with me.
    I have a 2001 Navigator with 53,000 miles. The other day when I started the engine I hear a rumbling noise that sorta scared the sh*t outta me. It only does it on start-up and when I put it in gear it stops. Any idea?
    Also, noticed a ticking coming from the right side of the engine. Took it to a mechanic and the first thing he said bad lifters, need a new engine. Took it to the Lincoln dealer and they also said something about lifters. So i scheduled an appointment for Monday morning, the mechanic who looked at it at the dealer said don't worry about needing a new engine.

Anybody out there with the same problem?
    Amen, George! You're exactly right. BTW, just got back from a trip to Simi Valley in my Gator. It was an overnight trip, so 6 hours down and 5 hours back the next day (it's longer going down, you know) between 0 and 100 mph. It astonishes me how nimble and controlled this big truck is at any speed, on any road, and in any condition. I had such a headwind going down, I actually retracted my mirrors for a while to lessen the drag, but had no trouble holding speed at all. Climed Baker grade coming back to Vegas in overdrive at 82 mph with cruise on. Man, what a great truck this is! It's a shame to turn it in, but I only have 1500 miles left on the lease and she's done. Gonna miss her. Not gonna miss the 16.6 mpg she got on the trip though.
  • There were several problems with the '04 Navi's that caused vibration and the noise that your describing. On our's, the same noise at 22mph little to no load. Dealer found a trouble code which was for increased resistance. First they replaced the transmission mount. Noise was less but still there. A month later after complaining to Lincoln Customer No-Service, they had to REBUILD the rear differential. ALL parts were replaced and that noise stopped. However, transmission stalls continued to get worse. Finally have Navigator declared a "Lemon" and Ford had to buy it back in full.
  • Brand new Nav. with all opts.
    If not driven for two days, battery is dead.
    I sold to client overseas, and before I could deliver it
    battery was dead. I took to dealer, they replaced battery and said "that'l fix it! It didn't. Nothing wrong with battery, although my still friend and client
    has already replaced two more times. Pretty hard on batterys. I have heard it is in the navigation and entertainment department. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks Much,
    jmerritt
    I had a REPLACEMENT stereo head unit put in mmy Navi - and it had a fault in it that made it so that it never turned off, even when the key was off. It would drain my battery.
    Changing it out again solved the problem. One way to tell, is to feel it after the car has been off for a few hours. If any part of it is hot - that's your culprit.

Don't feel badly - my dealer never did figure it out - I had to show them on my own. Once they were convinced of the problem, they gladly fixed it for me.
  • If the sound goes away within a few minutes it's likely a cracked exhaust manifold. It was with my 99 Navigator and it was thought to be lifters by a couple of dealers.

Good luck

Don
  • No solutions but I have the same problem. Did you figure yours out?

Don