Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• dlottdlott Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I now have the memory features working with the remotes!
  • Marine battery was only used once. Any ideas on what to try to get it started?
  • prost632prost632 Posts: 1
    can some one help me out to what this code means,air bag code 10,thanks steve
  • dwattsdwatts Posts: 1
    I had a similar experience with my '92. Happened four times over a period of about 3 years, the first time on a hot day at about 9000ft elevation, second time on a hot day at about 7000ft elevation, third time on a hot day near Redding, and fourth time near Los Angeles, not even a particularly hot day, but it was at the end of a particularly hard non-stop run from Sacramento.

This all occurred before the California-mandated recall of Ford products for their solid-state ignition module. I was at a loss to explain what was happening. The short-term solution was simple -- just wait 15 minutes or so, and it would drive normally - for months. Then it would happen again, but not in any predictable situation.

I couldn't explain it; my mechanic couldn't explain it; the dealer couldn't explain it. In desperation, I finally ordered the fuel pump replaced. No reason to think it was causing the problem, just that I couldn't think of anything else, and I wanted to do SOMETHING.

I've never had a recurrence of the problem. The fuel pump replacement was done at about 85,000 miles, and I'm now at 213,000 miles.

For those who are unaware of the ignition module problem, it was said to be caused by a solid-state device that was located inside the distributor. The symptoms were the same as we're describing -- sudden, total loss of power, that occurs almost randomly, except that it seems to be more-or-less related to hot weather. California forced a fix that basically consisted of replacing the module with one that mounted on the firewall, where it presumably would get better cooling.

My car was already over 100,000 miles when that mandated fix came out, and was thus exempt from the ruling. So that repair was never done on my car.

-duane
  • oorickoooorickoo Posts: 2
    I have A 99 town car and the air bag light is coming on.
    I need HELP please
    Rick
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 159
    It may be best to take this to the Lincoln dealer. However, if you attempt any checks or repairs on the Air Bag System, first, disconnect the battery and do nothing to the system for at least a minute. The system has its own backup power supply and tampering with the system will make the air bags inflate. The system has a separate computer system, the air bag diagnostic monitor, which is located on the passenger side of the car. So addition to conducting an analysis of the onboard diagnostic module, the air bag monitor has to be checked. Take a look at the crash sensors which are at the front of the vehicle for anything that looks unusual. If you have to do anything more than securing a simple connection, take the car to the dealer. Air bag replacements are expensive.
  • dlottdlott Posts: 4
    Speaking from experience, it cost me $3000 to get my '92 TC Air Bag lite to stay off! They replaced the up/down load level sensors, the computer, the air bags, the compressor and everything else that they could think of. As it turned out, it was a wire chaffing against the air conditioner compressor mount, which was causing a FALSE air bag error warning light! Good Luck!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,304
    You have hit on one of the repair practices that plague the auto owner. When a repair shop goes through the process of "Trial & Error" they are admitting they don't know how to fix it. So, why should they be rewarded for their stumbling through the problem by our paying for their experimentation? Enough is enough. :(
  • ben02910ben02910 Posts: 1
    Hi my name is ben and my friend has a 92 lincoln and the window has fallen down and wont come up. I have tried to push it up by taking the door apart but the window just wont go up. Its almost like its stuck any suggestions? You can contact me at Ben02910@cox.net
    After removing the door panel, loosen the nuts on the door which hold the power window assembly. This should loosen the window. You should be able to place the window back in the window track. Remove the power window switch from the door panel and connect it to the connector to verify the the window goes up and down.
  • egkoregkor Posts: 24
    Hi,

I have a '95 T/C with approx. 95K miles that sometimes, after being driven enough to get the engine compartment hot, will not restart after being shut off.

It does not always happen, but it has happened three times recently, enough to make me lose confidence in the car. I would really like to "nail" this issue at minimal expense.

When it happens, I open the hood to let the engine compartment cool, and then the engine will start again.

When it is in this "will not start" mood, then engine will crank per normal, just does not fire. After I open the hood and wait approx. 5 to 10 minutes, the engine will fire up right away.

I read earlier messages about tightening the ground at the battery, I've done that. No change.

If this is a ignition module issue, could someone please post an accurate description of the location of the module?

Thanks very much,
    -Gary K
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,304
    Once after towing a boat up to the lake on a hot day, our 82 Town Car would not start after launching the boat. I placed some ice cubes in a little baggie and set it on the ignition module and the engine started right away. Re: location of your module on your 95, I'm not sure.
  • freddymzfreddymz Posts: 1
    Hey I have a 98 lincoln and i was wondering if i could put a sound system (woofers amp and cd player) would it be alright or are there some problems if i was to go ahead and install the new equipment or is just a cd changer recommended
    This car has a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which is located on the driver's side fire wall. It does not have an ignition module like on the older cars. I suspect though that your problem is not the PCM. It may be that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor needs to be cleaned or replaced. Remove the Mass Air Flow Sensor and clean it. This is the component with the security screws located near the air filter. This is a delicate item. I usually use a cotton swab and some alcohol or electrical parts cleaner to clean the two small wires that are inside this item. If it is not functioning properly, it will cause the engine to mis fire, idle roughly, or may prevent the engine from starting. Has your service engine light been coming on?
  • Gary: Had this problem, again with a '95 town car. Replacing the fuel pump didn't work. What DID work was replacing the fuel injector switch(es). These cost $15 at a dealer and they instructed my husband how to install them which was a 5-10 minutes job. Haven't had that problem since. I still seem to have excessive 'chiming' when starting and turning off the car, but can live with this. Shoemaker
  • Gary, sorry, but I gave you incorrect information on my post of April 15. My husband says the replacements parts are RELAY SWITCHES. Rest of post was correct, i.e. $15 cost and easy installation.
  • papaapapaa Posts: 20
    symtoms previously were engine would turn over normally but not start. If key is off and the radio is on it will time off at 8 to 10 minutes. After it goes off the engine will start. That has been ongoing on sporatically for over 6 months. We could handle the time lapse on most occasions. Today,04-17-06, I started out and at about 5 minutes into the ride the engine quit. The engine will not start now. The battery is good, the MAF is clean, the engine will turn over fine but will not run.I have replaced the spark plugs . There is no fire at them. The motor has 140,000 miles on it. When it would run it was smooth and everything would work. The key on gives air bag code Of 5-3 . I am A working person and can't afford A machanic. I would appreciate good help Thanks
  • where is the security code sticker located? I already checked the trunk
  • papaapapaa Posts: 20
    The code is usually on the hinge bracket on trunk lid. You can sometimes find it on one of the doors looking around the gasket areas.
  • egkoregkor Posts: 24
    I want to say "thanks" to everyone who replied to my "won't start" post.

The next thing I try will be to replace the fuel pump relay. I know where that is at.

Thanks again!

-Gary K