Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Town Car Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Well this is my problem with the car. A weekend ago, my towncar for some strange reason did not start. and 7 days later, it still will not start. We have purchased change the batterie and coils and even did a complete tune-up. But still will not work. Someone told us it could be the "crank sensor" but wedo not know where to locate it. Please does anyone anything about it or having the similiar problem.
  • 2003 Lincoln Town Car- Will not start. No clicking, whirring, or anything else. Totally dead. Replaced battery, starter, ignition switch, park/neutral safety switch, fuses (even though they looked good), starter relay, you name it! If it's in the starting system, it's new, except the wiring. The car still won't start, nothing, totally dead. I am hearing that there is a fusible link somewhere near the starter. Is this something you can just pick up and replace? What else could possibly be wrong with this car??? Any help is appreciated! :confuse:
  • ppppearlppppearl Posts: 1
    Mom's car has the same problem. Dealer told her nothing. Was this ever resolved? I am trying to find a mechanicak answer to show dealer.Thank you.
  • No resolve yet, Dealer has said they can't fix it because they don't know where the problem is. It is currently in another shop (been there for 3 weeks!) They say it is a shorted wire, so they are basically taking the wiring harness apart looking for it wire by wire. Just tells me that the dealer flat out didn't want to mess with it!
  • Well, my husband finally got the TC working by changing the electric coils. As soon that he put them it started running. But, once again the problem is back. The car will start but another day it won't, So we go out with our fingers crossed it will start. Please does anyone know what's going on with these cars. :)
  • Whats goin on, I have a 97 towncar with 48,000k mi that i Just purchased yesterday morning. I was driving the car to work this morning in rush hour traffic and noticed that the car just shut off, however I was able to start it right up with no problem. It wasnt overheating but the car did sit for about a year, (it was intermittenly driven so it wouldnt sit and rot),it did have a half of tank of gas but im not sure how long its been in there, probably around a year, It also has a fairly new battery in it. I was thinking it might be the MAS from reading other posts but im not sure. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • egbdf2egbdf2 Posts: 1
    HI, I have 1984 Lincoln TownCar and the oil light keep flickering, had the oil changed professionally and it still flickers, what could it be? Thanks.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    When any vehicle has sat for long periods with 'old' gas in the tank, there is the high possibility of condensation forming which leads to H2O in the tank as well as gas. 'StaBil' is a product used by mariners for dealing with this situation in their boats. 'Heet' is a product used by drivers in frigid areas to make the H2O miscible with gas. These two products are readily available in auto part stores.

Use as directed with the remaining fuel that is in the tank.

There is an electric fuel pump in the sump of the gas tank. If you drain the tank, don't let Air get to the pump for the seals will be damaged.
    A good shop can replace the engine oil pump in one afternoon. While in there, you might also want to check the other moving parts for wear.
  • caddellscaddells Posts: 5
    My1992 town car air suspension is very bad. (leaking) Suggested by several town car owners to switch to regular strut/spring suspension. Any pro or con comments?
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 159
    I want to replace the door hinges on a 1996 Lincoln Town Car. In addition to the four bolts that hold the hinges, there is a non headed bolt that has a nut on the inside of the car. Does anyone know how to get to nuts that appear to be inside the car?
    I would not switch to coil springs. I have replaced several sets of air springs, solenoids at the air springs, compressors, and the leveling adjusters on 1990 through 1997 Town Cars. If you can change the transmission fluid, you can probably change the springs, if they are the problem.
  • hugo7hugo7 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 TC that has around 90,000 mi on it. The problem i'm having is when you start the car it has a howling noise and when you give it gas it goes away but will keep coming back after a few seconds. Its also doing it while i'm driving, I give it gas and again it stops but will do it again in a few seconds. This would not bother me except that its real loud and embarasing sitting at a light.I was told at a gas station that its the smog pump is this true and is it something I can fix myself ?
    thanks
    The car does not have a smog pump. The howl may be coming from one of the fans. The car has an electric fan and a clutch driven fan. Have you tried to find the howl with the hood up and the engine running? With the hood up and the engine running, you should be able to duplicate the noise by increasing the engine speed with the accelerator cable.
    Our '94 will sometimes sound like a ship's fog horn, especially on a cold startup.

This happened 6 years ago and the Lincoln tech said it was the Idle air bypass valve resonating.

After the engine warms up, it goes away so I live with it. :)
  • hdehde Posts: 9
    I have a tc with 145k on it and suddenly had no electrical whatsoever, tried new battery, no good. any suggestions
  • hdehde Posts: 9
    had bad battery terminal cable, replaced and works fine now :blush:
    Not often a battery cable is terminal! ;)
  • rwdfanrwdfan Posts: 15
    Hey folks, as you know I purchased a '03 LTC about a week ago and so far so good with the car....it has now 76,800 miles. I went through the factory maintenance books and it was not clear for me the required mileage for the following oil changes: transmission and rear differential ? Is it 100K miles ? Should I do it ASAP ? Mercur V is the recommended oil for the transmission, do you agree ? Thanks. Any other fluid that I'm forgetting ? :confuse: