Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smart Shopper - Suggest a topic of discussion

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You may find Dealer Ratings and Reviews helpful.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I can't seem to find where I would post a discussion about shipping cars? More specifically, whether, because I'm moving from NY to CA, I should buy in NY and ship to Cali, or buy in Cali over the phone before I get there. The hitch is that I need the car immediately once I get there (well, within a few days). Any ideas where to post?
    One consideration is that California has tougher emissions standards than other states, including New York, so the vehicle you purchase will have to conform to those standards. I think the quickest way to get the information you need would be to post your question in the Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? discussion.

Let us know how that works. We could set up a dedicated discussion if that response is inadequate.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • caradguycaradguy Posts: 1
    What does the traditional July/August sales event period mean to you? Why is that the time all the manufactures have an "event"?
    Several of our make/model specific discussions have an "events" topic. If the model you're interested in does not already have such a discussion, please feel free to start one of your own.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fasbirdfasbird Posts: 1
    Oh Wow,

I've been reading about the current situation where the new car dealers, and manufacturers of course, are offering new cars cheaper than a one-year-old car of the same make and model. This is so dumb it makes my teeth hurt!

Come on folks. There are thousands of dealerships who make more money on their used cars than they do on the new ones. There are tens or hundreds of thousands of folks for whatever reason want or really need to sell their used vehicles. You may be certain that most of these people will figure out that they have to lower the price of their used cars in order to sell them against new vehicle prices. They will do this in a big hurry. There just is no choice. It will be price lower or don't sell, well, except to really dumb buyers. Indeed, it is likely that used prices are already falling.

The falling price of the '08 models will bump the '07 model price down and right on down the line. Just hang on 30 to 60 days and you will see a big fall in used prices. The fun part is that we will then discover that this entire scam was developed and executed by new car dealers to attract attention to the big discounts on new '08s and '09s.

Oh, I have this terrific ocean front lot for sale in Nevada.

Fasbird
    Exactly what topic are you proposing? You may be interested in one of the discussions in Automotive News & Views

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    If the Cash For Clunkers Bill passes what effect will it have on the small used car lot's? My understanding is that the consumer will have a voucher for $3500-$4500 for there old car. Once the dealer takes in the car it goes to a central collection point where the block and tranny are removed and the car is destroyed. This will make a good $2K-$3K car non exsistent.
    You might be interested in this discussion: A National "Clunker Plan" - Good or Bad Idea?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Is there a discussion on CVT transmissions anywhere? If not, I would be willing to contribute financially to have one set up.
    We have several make/model related discussions on CVT such as Nissan Altima CVT and 2003 Nissan Murano CVT (Transmission). A discussion could be set up for a make/model that you are interested in.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    But first you need to discuss with Richard the issues with the phrase "CVT transmission".

:shades:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    But first you need to discuss with Richard the issues with the phrase "CVT transmission".

Yes, it is a bit redundant isn't it. I though many would not know what I was talking about if I just wrote CVT.

But, I did get the answer I was looking for on that link tidester provided. The CVT can't be rebuilt, the whole thing needs to be replaced to the tune of 5 or 6 thousand. I had asked in several other forums for the cost to rebuild. I thought it would be minimal, just replacing a couple belts or something. Really dampens my enthusiasm a bit in buying a NIssan Altima with the "CVT transmission". :shades:
  • pa356228pa356228 Posts: 34
    Bought my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS on March 31, 2006. Still making monthly payments, apparently I'm still leasing. My car dealer told me after the 48 months is up, if I want to, I can buy it off with $4,853 but my question is this,

Can I still make monthly payments until it is pay off when after the lease is up?

Whoever have SMARTBUY, (it should be on your monthly bill or statement) can you tell more about this SMARTBUY program?
    I opened up a topic for you. You can find it here: Smart Buy Questions

Post your question there and, with a little luck, a knowledgable person will come along and provide the information you need. Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Hi, I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, please move if I posted in the wrong place.

My question is whether it is better to buy a used car from a dealer or from a broker?

I am trying to buy a used Infiniti M35, but I have a specific set of options/colors I want. Unfortunately, I could not find a car that meets all of my requirements at local dealerships. However, I noticed some ads for "used car brokers". They buy cars directly from the auctions, and thus have a much higher selection to choose from. Has anyone gotten a used car from a broker? What was the experience like?

If I buy a car from a dealership, I can inspect it and test drive it. Also, I assume the dealerships do a mechanical inspection of the cars they sell. I also have the option to get a certified pre-owned car which gets me an extended warranty. However, since the dealers near me don't have the exact car I want I would either have to wait or find a far-away dealer or relax my requirements. I feel that if I go to a broker, I would get the exact specs I want, but I am worried about getting a lemon. Have anyone been faced with a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Valentin
    You may want to give Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer? a try. A lot of salespeople participate in that discussion and they'll provide you with some good ideas.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • thank you, tidester, i'll move my post there.
  • russ43russ43 Posts: 1
    I have been without steady employment since Nov. 2008. Paid my bills, including car payment, faithfully until I ran out of retirement income this summer. Now, am filing for bankruptcy due to upside down mortgage, credit cards related to that, and no job. I will not be able to pay $300/month for my car in one month from now. Must have a reliable car, so could I make a deal with a used car dealer to trade even-up and get rid of large payment in exchange for no payment, or at least a very, very small monthly payment? Help :mad: !
    I hope you're able to find work real soon. I do know how tough downsizing income and lifestyle is. We had started a discussion relating to circumstances like yours earlier this year but it didn't become very active. I suggest posting your message in the Making Car Payments in Hard Times topic as I expect more people are in similar situations now with the recession lasting as long as it has.

Best of luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kasrhpkasrhp Posts: 11
    I am looking at a used suv(07-08), and the top two choices are the explorer limited, and the chrysler aspen. I like the Aspen more, but am worried about it down the road due to Chrysler halting production on that and the Durango. From what I gather, The Aspen is a well made, and pretty reliable vehicle. Is it dumb to get a vehicle not in production anymore? It seems like the best fit for me honestly, little bigger than the Explorer, but smaller than Expedition. Any thoughts are much appreciated. I dont want to get burned, but wondering if this is a valid concern. Thanks again.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    I see you found our SUVs board, which is probably the best place. You might also search on the term "decide," as there are a bunch of existing discussions about trying to decide which vehicle to buy.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• It used to be 'known' that some American cars were actually Toyotas; Hondas; Nissans; or Mazdas (....etc...) in disguise......

Is this still a current practice ???

Is there a website (or websites) that has these type of charts / listings / matchups ?

Thank you !!!!

Tooky
    I don't know of any such website, though one may exist.

Yes, it is still done - you might have better luck asking in one of the existing discussions here, like Questions for a Car Dealer. Pontiac Vibe = Toyota Matrix, right off the top of my head.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• shaunpgshaunpg Posts: 3
    I recently started a new job and need to purchase a used vehicle in the 10k-15k range that will fit my commute. I travel 40 miles on freeways, followed by 2 miles on rough truck trails to get to a job site. I need a good balance of highway comfort, gas mileage, and off-road capability. I won't be hauling anything except people, so a full-size pickup or suv seems like overkill.

What's my best bet given these restraints?
    You might try posting in What's the best vehicle for my needs? People usually get a lot of feedback there.

• verybeegverybeeg Posts: 13
    I live in NJ and will be moving to PA in a month. I need to lease a car now in NJ because my new job in PA is starting soon. In NJ, the tax is calculated up front vs. in PA, the tax is calculated on each lease payment. This means, if I lease the car now, I'll be paying the tax on three years' lease payments up front, and when I move to PA, PA will add the tax again to my lease payments. I'll be double-taxed! I want to find out whether there is a way around this. Thanks.
    I recommend posting your question in the General Questions about Leasing Vehicles or Vehicle Sales Tax Questions discussions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bodibodi Posts: 7
    I am not a US resident but I have to buy a car in Florida soon, I saw these 'add ons' on a Toyota dealer, they seem a bit greedy to me:

Sales Tax, Title, License Fee, Registration Fee, $799 Dealer Fee, Finance Charges, Compliance Fees and RECONDITIONING COST OR CERTIFICATION FEES are additional to the advertised price???
    I understand what the title, tag and sales tax are but I am sorry if this is a dumb question but can someone explain what the others are please? Thanks.
    Hi bodi, if you post this question in our Quick Question for a Car Dealer discussion, people will be happy to explain each of them and answer any follow-up questions you might have about the US purchasing process.