Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help. Mustang won't go into gear.

CandygirlCandygirl Member Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Ford
I have a 1999 Ford mustang with a 3.8 liter V6 manual transmission. Was driving down the interstate and heard a pop. My car was not able to go in gear after that I had the throw out bearings replaced the pressure plate and it still will not go in gear. It's like my rear end is locked up. Help what could it be?

Answers

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Is the driveshaft turning and the car just not moving?
  • CandygirlCandygirl Member Posts: 3
    It's like when you put it in neutral and you can roll the car well you can't roll it it feels like the back tires are locked up
    Sometimes we need to see a car first hand to be sure what is being described.

Has someone pulled the wheels and checked to be sure that the brakes are not dragging? A problem in the rear axle would not prevent you from shifting into a gear, but you would stall the engine if you tried to release the clutch.
    Can you shift it into each of the gears with the engine not running?
    Exactly what do you feel when you try to shift it if it is running?
    Does the clutch disengage and re-engage?
  • CandygirlCandygirl Member Posts: 3
    You can not shift into any gear it's like it's locked up
    If it won't shift at all then it sounds like you have a transmission issue. If it would shift with the engine off, but not with the engine running then that would suggest the clutch isn't disengaging, and maybe the clutch has some air in it and needs bled. The statement that its like the rear end is locked up is somewhat misleading. It would be very uncommon for the transmission output shaft to be bound up but not impossible.