Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• Which is the average of Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number, (RON and MON)otherwise known as the AKI or anti-knock index. Since that is what you have been saying all along, you have been right, 87 AKI = regular grade. Thanks.

http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Tech_Library/Understandin- g/octane.html
  • >>>I am aware of some places which sell gas with less than 87 AKI - I don't think any car manufacturers recommend using this grade of gas in any new vehicle.<<<

I live in one of those places, Denver Colorado. Here, regular grade is 85, mid is 87 and premium is 91.

That said, it is no problem using 85 in a Titan or any vehicle rated for (R+M)/2 = 87 AKI. The gasolines are formulated for our high altitude driving conditions. Combustion pressures are lower here due to the lower density of air means less oxygen. Of course it wouldn't be recommended that you fill up your boat here and drive it to the coast.
  • bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    the octane is different because the oxygen content of the air is lower.

suburban detroit is at 1400 ft. above sea level, and there are places that carry 86 octane as regular.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    Good to read some real facts about gas...I do travel quite often and it is good to know about the differences in areas and altitudes.
  • lexus lslexus ls Posts: 10
    I was at the toyota dealer and I told the sales men that I wanted to buy a tundra double cab because I have a 2002 and have 123k miles on it and I have done nothing to it but a set of LTX tires that came on it with the eriki wheel package, 2 sets of breaks, and oil changes. Not one other thing to the truck. It is the best truck that I have ever seen. But like every thing else I need a truck that has a better tow package. So i looked at the Titan. It is a very nice truck. But it doesn't fit me. I don't like the way it looks. Anyway the sales men told me that I should wait until September. I said why. He told me that toyota is bring out a 5.7 Liter engion that is going to take the lead of the truck world. Even the hemi. So in September I am going to buy a new 2005 double cap tundra. He also told me that the price increase is going to be less than $500 and that the 5.7 liter is going to be stock in the truck. Just wanted to let you know some info being my first time in this post.
    toyota IS bringing out a new engine, but the specs dont make much...

the "lead of the truck world" will be simply in displacement. 5.7L is a BIGGER engine, but the displacement has very little to do with the overall usage of the engine.
  • rhollandrholland Posts: 3
    All of today's trucks are good, I went from a GMC with a 454 to a Ford F150 302, to the new Titan. I could live with any of the 1/2 ton pickups, I got the best deal on the Titan.
    I drove the F150 for 8 years and put 176,000 miles, with no problems.
  • Where do these sales people get this info....my goodness, for the 05 engine, the 4.7 I-Force will recieve VVT-i (variable valve timing intelligence), which equals + 42 horsies until 06 when a whole new engine will be coming out
    and as a truck person, you should know what horsies actually mean.

torque is the operative measurement of a trucks towing/hauling capabilities. thats why the f150 feels anemic in acceleration, but pulls almost as well as the titan. 365 lb./ft. in the ford, 379 in the titan.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    Don't forget about weight. An 04 Tundra Double Cab will slightly outrun a F150 SuperCrew with the 5.4 because of the F150's extra 800 pounds of weight. It should be interesting to see what the 05 with more hp and 5-spd auto will do vs. Nissan.
  • Well mr. ibowke28, sorry about stating simple facts from the new 05 specification sheet, and excuse me for leaving the torque part out of it, my apologies. I was just trying to clear up some of the rumors about a new engine in 05. The torque for the new 05 tundra with VVTI will be 328 ftlb of torque @ 3400.
    328@3400 is still pretty weak compared with ford, dodge, nissan, and GM. all the rest are over 350. ford is 365, nissan is 379, dodge is 375...etc....

im not sure of what GM is, but im almost sure its over 350.
  • Lets consider engine sizes. The Tundra at the current momment has a 4.7. Dodge is the 5.7?, nissan is the 5.6? (Im not 100% sure because all my research has been focused around toyota. Anyways, my point is, if you took the lower engines, such as the 4.6 from ford or the 4.whatever from dodge, the tundra far surpasses it in avaible hp and torque. With its current #'s, it is still a competitor with the dodge and nissan, and with the addition of vvti and the 5-sp next year I wouldnt b e surprised if it came really close to beating those trucks. The current 4runner with the 4.7 and 5-sp does 0-60 in 7.8 sec (est), tundra should be pretty darn close, (vehicle weight within 300 lbs of each other. Engine size doesnst matter much to me anyways, as im in it for the long haul and reliability. If you cruze over to titantalk.com, the nissan has had coultless problems with its debut, and I wouldnt be touching dodge with a 50 foot pole due to their track record. MPG's are also much better than dodge specifically, I was in my friend's last night, consol said 10.2. Tundras are right around 14-15 city mileage. Anyways, enough of my rambling, what truck are you in the market for anyways?
    nissan's engine is standard on all models. you dont have to get option package #219,178 to get the big motor.

with ford, the 4.6l specs are almost identical to toyota's TOP motor??? that doesnt sound right. so if i go to toyota, i have to get option pkg. #219,178, AND spend extra money just to get suyb-par performance? i think not. if i want sub-par performance, ill get the ford with the small v8 and save money.
  • Lets consider engine sizes. The Tundra at the current momment has a 4.7. Dodge is the 5.7?, nissan is the 5.6? (Im not 100% sure because all my research has been focused around toyota. Anyways, my point is, if you took the lower engines, such as the 4.6 from ford or the 4.whatever from dodge, the tundra far surpasses it in avaible hp and torque. With its current #'s, it is still a competitor with the dodge and nissan, and with the addition of vvti and the 5-sp next year I wouldnt b e surprised if it came really close to beating those trucks. The current 4runner with the 4.7 and 5-sp does 0-60 in 7.8 sec (est), tundra should be pretty darn close, (vehicle weight within 300 lbs of each other. Engine size doesnst matter much to me anyways, as im in it for the long haul and reliability. If you cruze over to titantalk.com, the nissan has had coultless problems with its debut, and I wouldnt be touching dodge with a 50 foot pole due to their track record. MPG's are also much better than dodge specifically, I was in my friend's last night, consol said 10.2. Tundras are right around 14-15 city mileage. Anyways, enough of my rambling, what truck are you in the market for anyways?
    please dont hit the "refresh" button while on this page. it makes your posts duplicate.
  • keaneckeanec Posts: 349
    You have to take what you read with a grain of salt. Titantalk is a great place for info on the Titan, but remember many people go there to post problems and to find solutions. There are many people who have no problems on that site, as well as ones who have had too many problems. It is the same on any Ford or Dodge or Toyota dedicated site.

I am not saying the Titan is problemless (mine isn't) but most of the 2000 owners over there love their titans! They will post about every little squeek rattle and bug, but they still love them.
  • Copied from fords website:

SOHC 16-valve 4.6-liter V-8, 231 hp, 293 lb-ft; SOHC 24-valve 5.4-liter V-8, 300 hp, 365 lb-ft

The tundras 05 4.7 VVTI) far surpasses the current 4.6 offered in the F-150. As far as paying extra, for the new 05, expect to pay ~$500 for the added ponies, among a lot of other added features as well. I dont konw what the 0-60 times are for the different trucks, and I'm not quite sure what your point is. Your comparing apples to oranges here (5.6-7 engines to a 4.7), and the fact that the tundra can still semi-hang with all the new competition before its major makeover says a lot about toyota, and their quality, and their performance. If you want to spend less money and get a ford, fine with me, you get what you pay for. I have a ranger right now, and I cant wait to step into a toyota and feel the difference in quality and know that it is going to get me there no matter what. To each his own, this is my opinion and you have yours, and i totally respect it, no pun intended. But for me, it will be a toyota, it seems like the best choice for my needs, and what I want in a truck
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    If you have been to the titan talk site. It would be worth your time to check out tundrasolutions.com

Quite the eye opener..............
This discussion has been closed.