Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tundra vs. Nissan Titan

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Posts: 2,185
    i wont be the idiot to say that all titans will be perfect...they are machines built by humans...imperfect by definition. will you have problems? maybe. thats what a warranty is for. noone knows. get what you like and enjoy.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Doesn't putting super-charger or anything else cause for the manufacturer to cancel the warrantee?
  • in most cases, mariner7, a supercharger is an excellent way to cancel a perfectly good drivetrain warranty. But factory performance parts, including superchargers, typically don't, although you should read the fine print. For example TRD's (toyota racing development)supercharger does not void the factory warranty, but only if it is installed at a toyota dealership. If you do it yourself, then they and something breaks they are not going to honor the warranty b/c you messed up the install.

I don't understand the point of adding S/C's, turbos, or nitrous to any vehicle, but that is another topic all together. The only type of invasive power adder I might consider would be propane injection on a diesel engine.

I hope i answered your question.

Thanks
  • I HAVE OWNED MANY 4X4 PICKUPS...TOYOTA AND NISSAN...THE TITAN ABSOLUTELY OUTCLASSES THE TUNDRA IN EVERY SENSE...THE TUNDRA DOESN'T HAVE THE SIZE OR THE OOOMPH UNDER THE HOOD TO BE CONSIDERED IN THE FULL-SIZE CATEGORY AND SHOULD BE STRICKEN...A MORE FAIR COMPARISON WOULD BE BETWEEN THE DODGE DAKOTA AND THE TUNDRA...ALSO, THE TUNDRA IS TOO PLAIN-JANE LOOKING. IF YOU WANT A FULL-SIZE PICKUP, NO MATTER WHAT COMPANY YOU'RE LOYAL TO, YOU SHOULD GIVE A TITAN A TEST DRIVE. YOU'LL BE IMPRESSED. ALSO, THE TITAN IS MADE IN TENNESSEE AND MISSISSIPPI...NOT ONLY AMERICAN, BUT SOUTHERN!
    turn off your caps lock...it makes it difficult to read, and you can be confused with someone being angry/yelling.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    Thanks for the gripping analysis.
  • Bowke: I have not read a single financial article whether it be from Money, Forbes,Wall Street Journal which promotes buying an extended warranty. I drive my vehicles for 10 years hence why I have bought Nissan and Toyota for their known reliabilty advantage. I bought an extended Gold plan warranty on my wife's Maxima because the dealership finance guy was needing to make his quota which put me in a 6 year 100,000 mile deal for $550.Extended warranty for dealers is spelled "very high profit margin". Its all about actuarials no different than life insurance.
    i never said anything about extended warranties. the factory provides a splendid warranty with the truck. 3/36 bumper to bumper, and 5/60 powertrain. if this isnt enough time to cover bugs and gremlins, then i dont know what is.
  • I test drove a Tundra DC over the weekend, really thinking I would end up with a 4runner. But now I'm not so sure. My question is, is there any difference in ride between the TRD and non TRD DC? Thanks.,
  • triattriat Posts: 121
    I didn't drive both in DC size. But I just traded my '03 Access TRD for a Titan. The trd rides a little "tighter" than no trd. I think it's borderline jittery. But then the trd really handles Very nicely!

So unless your area has a lot of curves,hills, or places where you can open it up a little, I would probably opt to non-trd...

Also if you get leather, only buy the factory installed leather in a package. Really avoid leather later installed at port as an option...
  • I recently ordered a 2004 double cab limited 4x4 Tundra, it is first class. I drove the Nissan Titan and to say the least, it is very cheap looking inside. Sure the engine puts out 305 HP, but the engine has not been extensively tested as the 4.7 toyota has been. the toyota V-8 has been in production for years and use in the Lexus, it has been perfected to the point that I dont have to worry about any problems that may arise as would be with a newley developed engine. Sure the Titan engine is nice, and I am sure they tested it, but not the everyday testing that has been done with the Toyota V-8. The Titan was very big, somewhat bigger that the Toyota D-Cab, but the bed was lacking. I feel as though Nissan needs to upgrade the interior, like I said above I looked at an LE which the salesman told me was a luxury model, hahaha I laughed in his face. I told him when he looks and sits inside a Limited Toyota, compared to the Titan, its like being inside a Rolls Royce.
  • I could not believe the interior of the hyped up Nissan titan. When I sat in it, I knew right then that I was not going to purchase this vehicle, even after driving it, sure it felt tight, but I would say after a few thousand miles unlike Toyota, it will be rattling. With all the hoop-rah about the Titan I was very disappointed at the interior, I cannot stress enough, sure, if someone wants a plain jane interior, they might be happy with it, But if I am going to put $30+ G's down on a pick-up, I want a little bit of luxury to go with it.
    Maybe if Nissan was not in such a big hurry to put the Titan out, they could have perfected the minor details and upgraded the interior a little to be presentable.
  • I elected to go non-TRD, for the simple fact, that on the non-TRD, you get 17" tires. The TRD gives you only 16", thats one inch more departure and approach angles, and the ride is a lot rougher. I can add Bilstein shocks to my truck later and get the same off-raod capability, without the smaller tire size and rougher ride. I say save your money and go non-TRD. The Toyota is built tought enough without it, just think back when there were no TRD options. Plus the rim selection on the TRD is selective to say the least, there is only one rim selection with the TRD package, and it doesnt look very good compared to the non-TRD 17" split 5 spoke available in allow color and a graphite color.
  • Funny that Edmund's reviews say that the Tundra is the one with the rickety interior...
    Why is everyone so in love with certain brands?
    Thank you for your opinions also, gkatz1...I'm sure the sequoia is what everyone should drive...They're the nicest vehicles ever!
  • 17" vs 16" refers to the rim size, not outside tire diameter. Most likely both wheel options have the same outside tire diameter but the 17" wheels have less sidewall height. So, you get NO benefit for approach or departure angles. Also, if the tire was actually one inch taller it would only raise the truck HALF of an inch.
  • not to mention the fact that 16 inch wheels would soak up bumps more than 17inch. the only reason 16's would ride rougher than 17's is the tires on them, which is understandable for the TRD package which I would assume has a more aggressive tread pattern.

prozacaddicct is prob. a pharmaceutical salesman...lol
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    "The bed was lacking" ??? Compared to a Tundra?

And didn't Toyota's "extensively tested" 4.7 V8 have a sludge problem?

And do I hear the whole world laughing in your face?
  • triattriat Posts: 121
    my bad! I just assumed you meant TRD as in road TRD. If you intended TRD-Off Road, then my comments wouldn't help for you. I don't have TRD Off Road experience. You can also try tundra solutions
  • ENOUGH WITH THE SLUDGE ALREADY! Wrong car! Wrong engine ! Old news ! GET OVER IT
  • Well first of all if you would read the specs., the TRD option is in fact ONE inch lower on approach and departure angle. It says so black and white in the brochure. Check your sources next time.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,094
    I've taken a couple of posts down that were simply personal comments. We're here to talk about the trucks, not each other. Let's keep it that way please.

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    Just so everyone doesn't fall for the spreading of misinformation, the 4.7L has NEVER suffered from a sludge problem.
  • i couldn't care less which one is actually higher or lower. I was just trying to teach you a simple lesson that rim diameter has nothing to do with outside tire diameter, and therefore has nothing to do with approach or departure angles. This lesson was obviously too advanced for you as once again you missed the point.
    how is the bed "lacking"? for crying out loud, man...the toy has a metal box with paint on it...

the titan has a sprayed on bedliner, c-channel tracks, 200 lb. cleats, tailgate lights, 12-volt power outlet, etc...

how is it lacking again???
  • I think the bed of the Toyota DC is longer and deeper than than the Titan Crew. Maybe that is what he's talking about.
  • Thank you (aggiemph1) it is deeper and longer than that of the Titan. Also for the price of the beefed up bed package that was mention in comment #121, I can get a Rhino sprayed Liner twice as thick for alot less than the Nissan bed option. As for tracks and C-Channels, that is what tie downs and things are for, sure it is nice, but they are not a necesity, and such can be added to standard beds likewise. Besides the PPG lined bed of the Nissan isnt as flexible as that of the Rhino as I was told by a NIssan Dealership.
    how, may i ask, is a spray-on bedliner flexible?

also, you said: "and such can be added to standard beds likewise."

at what cost? less than the nissan option? dont think so, pal.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,094
    Need to back it off just a bit more and drop the personal stuff.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

Whether you own a Mazda, would like to own a Mazda, or just like going ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM... be sure to stop by and meet and greet your fellow Town Hall users!

/direct/view/.ef1b553

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dave989dave989 Posts: 21
    The Tundra and Titan have nothing on the F-150 ive driven both and its no competition. Japan should stick to making what there good at which is small cars and mini-vans and leave the trucks to ford
This discussion has been closed.