Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• vmtsysvmtsys Posts: 9
    Any idea if the '05 models will have the sunroof along with movable/removable overhead rails?

The new Grand Caravan preview photos do not show the sunroof - the rails run all the way up to the overhead console. I am wondering if the T & C and higher end GCs will have a different configuartion.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Any idea if the '05 models will have the sunroof along with movable/removable overhead rails?

The new Grand Caravan preview photos do not show the sunroof - the rails run all the way up to the overhead console. I am wondering if the T & C and higher end GCs will have a different configuartion.

Thanks in advance for any info.
  • There is now information available on the 2005 T&C again at the Chrysler website. The information seems to be much more extensive as compared to what little was on the site a short time ago. My wife and I have a '99 T&C limited and have had it for 2.5 years. We really enjoy it and have had very few problems. I am very interested in the 2005 model specifically for the seats that fold into the floor. We always have the rear bench out just sitting in the garage covered with an old sheet. I have already contacted a chrysler sales person in my area and asked them to contact me when they have on the lot. We aren't planning on attending the NAIAS this year so we will have to wait to see the van until the annual auto show in our city at the end of March or when the dealers have one on the lot. Looks great though!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    You might want to consider the GM vans, as there has been speculation over there about a $6K rebate on the vans. Offer $6K, and that'll make up more than the resale difference for me, it'll take care of the perception people have about American cars at the office, and it'll even let me pay down the mortgage faster!
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    OK, let's not start any wild rumors here. There is absolutely no indication that GM will offer anything close to $6,000 in rebates on anything. They are trying to scale back their use of incentives, and smart initial pricing may help them avoid that. Besides, even the Cavalier only has $4,500 on it.
    look at the Freestar- months after launch, there's already $2,000 cash slapped on the hood of every single Freestar, and GM will have to "match" that, since the vans don't really offer anything more than just what Honda offered in 1999 with the Odyssey. (besides the rails on the ceiling and the plood)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Note however that $4500 rebate on a 17K MSRP vehicle is a HUGE percentage - GMs saying (before negotiating down to invoice) "OK, this car sucks. So you pay 73%, and we'll foot the other 27%"

~alpha
    Yep. $3500 on an Aveo may not seem much, but in reality it is a lot. But $7500 on an H2 may seem like a lot, but it's just a small percentage of the MSRP.
  • Noticed in the talk about Edmunds review that they do not give the Dodge high marks for quality. They also say problems as recently as mid 1990's. Edmunds, that was 10 years ago. If that was the last time there were problems on the Dodge, shouldn't it be over by now? Seems as if Dodge has not had problems in 10 years, then saying that there were quality problems is rather beside the point.

Other than that the only criticism is not having flat seats and middle seats don't slide back and forth. Can one say not a biggie on either?

All I can say is that I could not be happier with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Excellent car, excellent value.
    when I went for a test drive, the two factors that took it off my list of three (01 Sienna, 01 Grand Caravan, 02 Odyssey) were the lower resale values and the absence of the fold flat third row. That also killed the Sienna on my list, and I ended up buying an Odyssey. The other factor that would have killed it had I known at the time would have been the Marginal Crash test scores compared to the Odyssey's Good rating and the Sienna's best pick from the IIHS.
  • How about a V8 engine ? I can already see the commercials with a husband and wife praising the virtues of their 300 HP minivan.
  • qleapqleap Posts: 2
    At the chrysler website it says that the new minivans will have parking aid, DRIVER KNEE AIRBAGS, DRIVER AND PASSENGER WEIGHT SENSING SRS, TURN SIGNAL MIRORS, ALL WHEEL DRIVE AND NEW UNDERBODY
    It'll be better than the Freestar and the Relay/Terraza/Montana SV6/Uplander from day one. (especially with all those features)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    The only tingI worry about with the 2005 T&C is the price. Right now it is already one of the most expensive minivans on the market. Will DC be able to keep the cost down or will they overprice them and then offer ridiculous rebates?
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    I believe Chrysler announced that the new vans will actually be priced lower than the outgoing ones. Really, they have to be, since the top of the line Sienna has more "luxury" features than a Town & Country Limited yet costs a little less (before rebates, of course). They also announced that they would have the lowest priced minivan on the market, so I guess the low-end, SWB Dodges (sans Stow-n-Go) will be less than the Kia Sedona.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I will be disappointed if Chrysler stops offering this feature in their 2005 model. Our 97 GC LE had it, and it worked great. Try clearing snow and ice from Chevy Venture wipers that get burried at the bottom of the windshield.

This cost cutting and chasing lower price suppliers from one model year to another( NEVER MSRP cutting though) will drive the so called "Big 3" to the ground. How do you feel about driving a vehicle 70 miles an hour on the highway if you knew it was built with lowest price components where the suppliers are picked off the internet????

Last year, Honda built 187K Odysseys. Toyota built 120K Siennas in the US. All discontending does,is making Honda and Toyota stand out as better and better choices. I have no problem with Chrysler vans. I loved ours. Ours had 130K miles with no tranny problems ever when we sold it this week. We sold it because the kids are driving no and my wife no longer wanted to drive a van. We got a RX300 for now. Whenever I am ready to buy a van again, Chrysler will be my first choice. If I sense the cheap feel and look, that would be the end of Chrysler vans for me. I owe it to our old reliable van to look at Chrysler vans first.

Winshield deicer and sliding door tracks right under rear panel glass were such a clever Chrysler designs. It is sad if the deicer is discontinued for Chrysler, and see that Toyota is offering it in 2004, 8 years after Chrysler first did.

Joe
  • The only disappointment I have encountered with my 2004 DGC SXT is lack of illumination for the lighting and mirror switches to the left of the steering column and for the ignition switch. My 1990 PGV LE had night-time illumination for both these areas and my son's 2000 DGC Sport has a neat lighted ring around the ignition switch (plus illumination for switches to the left of steering column).

I find it astonishing that DaimlerChrysler would drop such useful features after having them for 10+ years. If I had discovered this before purchase (I never thought about taking a test-drive at night), it probably would not have been a deal-breaker. But DaimlerChrysler saved pennies at the expense of my brand loyalty.

Does the 2004 T&C have these two illumination features? What about 2005 Caravan and T&C?
    Two words: COST CUTTING.
  • carcom2carcom2 Posts: 212
    over 2 weeks ago I spoke to a Chrysler and Dodge dealer. They both told me they have ordered the 2005's with moonroof. So the moonroof is definitely available, but I'm not sure if the rail system was also included or available with the moonroof. I hope it is. I've had very good luck with my 1997 GCSport -88K. and think it's a great driving/handling vehicle.
    Thanks for the info.

I sure hope they will offer the moonroof/sunroof together with the overhead rail system.
    they will be together because at NAIAS I sat in one and there's a big headliner area, right before the rail system, that's sunroof sized.
    you can't have it all, can you?
    My apologies... I didn't realize the other site in question contains message boards - sorry.

Here's the revised post:

'05 T & C preliminary build w/options (no pricing) - along with Caravans (US models) are available at carquotes.com and carprices.net.

carcom2/jchan2 (already replied in #55), based on above overhead rails are not available if both sunroof and video system are orderd. Also, you can't have the side curtain airbags with the sunroof - that's too an important safety feature to forego, IMO.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    Not a problem! You can post the other links, by the way.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• boredbored Posts: 300
    Are coming off of the assembly line as we "speak". I've seen them on trucks to a storage yard within walking distance of my school.
  • vmtsys wrote: "based on above overhead rails are not available if both sunroof and video system are orderd. Also, you can't have the side curtain airbags with the sunroof - that's too an important safety feature to forego, IMO."

If this is true, don't know what the decision makers at Chrysler are thinking. Is this for keeping the price down?. On the Toyota Sienna you can have the side curtain airbags with the Sunroof, although there are no overhead rails on any trim.
    That's exactly my point. Never mind the overhead rails, but why would they take out the side airbags to add a sunroof? Like you said Sienna offers both and so does Quest SE (w/ upto 2 LCD screens on Airplane-style Overhead Console along with skyview roof)!!!

Not sure about the accuracy of these preliminary option details. If they are (or will be) true, yes, this could be how they are going to reduce the price by 15% over current models.
    charging you more on options. (and cutting equipment levels)
  • shuedshued Posts: 107
    very competitive to Oddy EX, Quest SL, and Sienna LE. Freestar will get buffeted definitely. Let's see what GM will do? I believe Dodge Grand SXT real deal will be about $25,000 before tax.