Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I don't really care about AWD, as I'll be moving to a warmer climate. But last winter my Odyssey drove up my icy driveway.
  • Are most-likely to have better crash tests scored. Chrysler stiffened the structure by 50% and added all those new safety features. I'd take this over the upcoming GM vans, especially with that warranty!!!
    better be improved. The Freestar, Monterey, Quest, Sienna and Odyssey are all rated "Good" by the IIHS. The current Chrysler Town & Country/Voyager and Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan are a "marginal" and the GM vans (Pontiac Montana, Chevrolet Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette) are rated "Poor" by the IIHS.
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    The current long wheelbase Town & Country and Grand Caravan models are actually rated "Acceptable" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. That is the second highest rating. The GM vans are all rated "Poor," however.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm#- 0102_02
    haven't been to the IIHS website in a long time. Must have forgotten the rating system. Anyways, the DCX vans are acceptable, but that's not something to brag about when the Freestar/Monterey, Sienna, Quest and Odyssey all are rated GOOD.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Almost every T&C or Caravan I see is FWD. Seems that Chrysler's thinking that fold flat seats will bring much more sales than AWD. I would also like to know if they will drop AWD from ALL models, included the base models with regular seats.

At least they could offer a spare tire, unlike the Sienna AWD which offers no spare tire, but expensive and hard to find run-flat tires instead.
    The new minivan will offer much more safety features than the current model, but still no stability control.

Also, Chrysler/Dodge minivans has the smallest mirrors than any minivan, and the biggest blind spot, since the mirrors are not close to the door. Just look on the new Toyota Sienna - X-large mirrors and very close to the door gives you an excellent view out. Who needs signal mirrors with tiny mirrors?
    I hope they will return the 2 neat features they used to offer and for financial reasons eliminated from the 2003-2004 models:

1. Windshield wiper de-icer (which is already copied by Toyota and Kia minivans);

2. Illuminated controls for power door locks / windows.

Can anybody confirm?
  • svevarsvevar Posts: 160
    I've read that the windshield wiper de-icer has been "decontented" from the `04 DC minivans, but if you build and price a Town & Country on Chrysler's website, this feature is in fact available (packaged with the rear window defroster). So unless Chrysler's website is mistaken, the wiper de-icers are still available. I don't see Chrysler discontinuing their use, especially when Toyota and Kia now have them.

jchan2: I agree, even though the DC vans are rated "acceptable" by the IIHS, they should be getting "good" when all of the competition does. I am confident that the `05 models will garner "good" ratings from the IIHS and five stars from the NTSB/NHTSA.
    the de-icer used to be standard, I understand, but is now part of an option package.
  • vmtsysvmtsys Posts: 9
    Any idea if the '05 models will have the sunroof along with movable/removable overhead rails?

The new Grand Caravan preview photos do not show the sunroof - the rails run all the way up to the overhead console. I am wondering if the T & C and higher end GCs will have a different configuartion.

Thanks in advance for any info.
  • vmtsysvmtsys Posts: 9
    Any idea if the '05 models will have the sunroof along with movable/removable overhead rails?

The new Grand Caravan preview photos do not show the sunroof - the rails run all the way up to the overhead console. I am wondering if the T & C and higher end GCs will have a different configuartion.

Thanks in advance for any info.
  • There is now information available on the 2005 T&C again at the Chrysler website. The information seems to be much more extensive as compared to what little was on the site a short time ago. My wife and I have a '99 T&C limited and have had it for 2.5 years. We really enjoy it and have had very few problems. I am very interested in the 2005 model specifically for the seats that fold into the floor. We always have the rear bench out just sitting in the garage covered with an old sheet. I have already contacted a chrysler sales person in my area and asked them to contact me when they have on the lot. We aren't planning on attending the NAIAS this year so we will have to wait to see the van until the annual auto show in our city at the end of March or when the dealers have one on the lot. Looks great though!
    You might want to consider the GM vans, as there has been speculation over there about a $6K rebate on the vans. Offer $6K, and that'll make up more than the resale difference for me, it'll take care of the perception people have about American cars at the office, and it'll even let me pay down the mortgage faster!
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    OK, let's not start any wild rumors here. There is absolutely no indication that GM will offer anything close to $6,000 in rebates on anything. They are trying to scale back their use of incentives, and smart initial pricing may help them avoid that. Besides, even the Cavalier only has $4,500 on it.
    look at the Freestar- months after launch, there's already $2,000 cash slapped on the hood of every single Freestar, and GM will have to "match" that, since the vans don't really offer anything more than just what Honda offered in 1999 with the Odyssey. (besides the rails on the ceiling and the plood)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Note however that $4500 rebate on a 17K MSRP vehicle is a HUGE percentage - GMs saying (before negotiating down to invoice) "OK, this car sucks. So you pay 73%, and we'll foot the other 27%"

~alpha
    Yep. $3500 on an Aveo may not seem much, but in reality it is a lot. But $7500 on an H2 may seem like a lot, but it's just a small percentage of the MSRP.
  • Noticed in the talk about Edmunds review that they do not give the Dodge high marks for quality. They also say problems as recently as mid 1990's. Edmunds, that was 10 years ago. If that was the last time there were problems on the Dodge, shouldn't it be over by now? Seems as if Dodge has not had problems in 10 years, then saying that there were quality problems is rather beside the point.

Other than that the only criticism is not having flat seats and middle seats don't slide back and forth. Can one say not a biggie on either?

All I can say is that I could not be happier with my Dodge Grand Caravan. Excellent car, excellent value.
    when I went for a test drive, the two factors that took it off my list of three (01 Sienna, 01 Grand Caravan, 02 Odyssey) were the lower resale values and the absence of the fold flat third row. That also killed the Sienna on my list, and I ended up buying an Odyssey. The other factor that would have killed it had I known at the time would have been the Marginal Crash test scores compared to the Odyssey's Good rating and the Sienna's best pick from the IIHS.