Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Also does anyone know if Chrysler will bring back the AWD version?Thanks

Don't look for all wheel drive on their new minivans. Stow-N-Go won't let them put in a drive shaft to the rear wheels. I don't see them doing away with Stow-N-Go.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    We have two Grand Caravans, one with traction control, one without. Both handle extremely well in the slippery stuff. Last winter we took a day trip to Vermont, and while there, it started snowing, heavily. By the time we got back to I-93 in central New Hampshire, there was an easy six inches on the roads, and we still had a good 40 miles more to go before we got home. Through it all we had no problem maintaining 50 mph or better, moving with the AWD crowd all of the way. When we got off I-93 at our local exit, we had to navigate five miles down a very hilly and winding two lane road covered with a very rutted eight inches or so, once again, no problem with that part of the trip either. All of this on All-Season rubber.

Two of our last three winters have been fairly good, as in well over one hundred inches of snow good (or bad depending upon your point of view), and after seeing how well our two GCs handle the white stuff, I wouldn't even consider spending the extra money on the AWD system.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    My DGC was very good in the snow the past winter. On steep hills it may slip slightly here and there, but that's just normal for any car, and I was actually able to pass other cars and vans struggling in the snow.

If you live in a area with steep hills, AWD is very welcome, as I've experienced many times. Otherwise, FWD cars or vans are more than adequate. Just note that DC vans, unlike other brands, offer traction control only up to 35 mph. But you usually don't travel at a higher speed in inclement conditions anyway.

Good luck with your search.
  • tomg4tomg4 Posts: 4
    Surely the answer is yes:

There are A/V inputs on the CD/DVD changer, presumably so you can play alternate video sources on the rear seat video.

Has anyone jacked in their MP3 player into these inputs to listen to MP3's through the car speakers?
  • artsarts Posts: 5
    Regarding handling in snow - I have had several 4 wheel drive cars (Subarus, Jeeps, Toyotas) as well as 2 Dodge Caravans (1998, 2005) and have strong opinions regarding snow and snow tires. I believe my Caravans with 4 first quality winter tires (I've used Blizzaks on the 1998, and Michelin x-Ice on the new Grand Caravan) are BETTER all around in snow than a 4 wheel drive vehicle on 4 season tires. I have a long steep driveway and the Caravan with 4 winter tires climbs 99% as good as the 4 wheel drives, also it corners and stops BETTER than the 4 wheel drive vehicles I describe. Some of you may disagree but that is my experience developed over many decades of driving in New England and the Canadian Maritime provinces. Thanks for listening.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    No disagreement from me. My winter tire shod 530i (Michelin Arctic-Alpin) was certainly more capable in the snow and slippery stuff than our two all-season tire equipped GCs (at least until the snow got so deep that the 530i turned into a snow plow). I can only imagine how capable the Caravans would be if I was to spring for winter rubber for them too.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I also recently bought the TnC Limited over Honda. We wre going to get an Expedition, but when gas price shot up we reconsidered. Am military living overseas transferring back to U.S. Local dealership (Pomoco Chrysler Jeep in Hampton, VA) was great to work with, and let me take delivery of vehicle while house hunting and then stored it for me for free until we returned to States. Customer service is a winner for me always, and Pomoco is top drawer.

Test drove the TnC, Odyssey, Sienna and liked the ride of the TnC best - very smooth and quiet, along with price and stowngo. I thought the Honda had great features and acceleration, but a little too "tourqey"; it oulled to the right when accelerating hard. Also didn't like the steering wheel reach distance with the driver's seat all the way back (I'm tall).

Got the TnC with zero pct financing, tax, title, and additional 7/70 GE bumper to bumper warranty for about $34K. Although the car seems very tight, it was delievered with 2 flaws: no GPS antenna installed for the nav system, and right rear quarter window was out of alignment (about 1/4 inch not flush with the vehicle side). The dealership jumped right on these, but I'm feeling like the additional warranty was a good roll of the dice if we keep the car for 70K miles.

First 2 tanks of gas neeted 17-18 mpg in urban driving. No road trips yet, so hope to see better. Overal, love the TnC Limited initially. We'll see how it holds up.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    People have posted here in Town Hall that 2005 GC does not have lighted controls on the doors that are on my 2002 T&C LX.
    Does your 2005 GC SXT have the lighted controls on the doors for the door locks and power windows?
    More shopping for 2005 Odyssey EX (cloth) and 2005 GC SXT has these pricing results:

2005 Ody EX MSRP $28,710.....Discounted Price $26,508
    2005 GC SXT MSRP $27,625.....Discounted price $22,825*
    * If financed thru Chrysler Financial. Can make 4 monthly
    payments and then pay off balance with no penalty.

My choice of the Ody EX would be Ocean Mist Metallic to get the nice gray interior (Taffeta white would be my choice if it had the gray interior).
    My choice of the GC SXT would be Stone White Clearcoat with the nice gray interior.
    Both vans are very nice but for $3683 less, the GC SXT is the BEST BUY for me. Ody EX 2nd and 3rd row seats slightly more comfortable but the GC SXT flexibility with complete overhead console containing outside temp/compass and trip computer are more important to me than the slightly more comfortable 2nd and 3rd row seats of the Odyssey. ;)
    Does your 2005 GC SXT have the lighted controls on the doors for the door locks and power windows?

If I remember right hansienna, there is only one that lights up. It could be the one for the driver's window. Too light outside now to go out and check.

Ody EX 2nd and 3rd row seats slightly more comfortable but the GC SXT flexibility with complete overhead console containing outside temp/compass and trip computer are more important to me than the slightly more comfortable 2nd and 3rd row seats of the Odyssey

I agree. The Odyssey second and third row seats are more comfortable than on the Dodge, although they are not uncomfortable. But my wife and I set up front and they are very comfortable. I also would rather have the flexibility of the storing of the two back row seats and having the overhead console. That flexibility is the only reason I gave up a three year old truck with only 23,000 miles on it.

Mine is stone white. I bought a gold pin stripe and put it on that really makes it stand out. While I think the Honda and Toyota look nicer inside. I still think the Dodge/Chrysler look better outside.
  • Can anyone help me decipher the options available on the GC SXT listed on edmunds page. There appears to be 3 differant options called ANF, they all seem to be exactly the same, yet they all cost differant amounts. SO whats the deal with them?
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Does Mopar or any aftermarket vendor make a divider net for Chrysler vans that will prevent loose objects from flying forward to the front seats and dogs from climbing forward out of the rear area?

Actually, what I am talking about is more substantial than a net. The ones I've seen in European wagons (Mercedes, Volvo etc.) look more like a fence that stands vertically behind the seats.
    Auburn Hills, Mich., Jun 07, 2004 -Due to the popularity of Chrysler Group's 2005 Chrysler and Dodge Minivans with the Stow 'n Go TM seating and storage system, the company today announced plans to invest $113 million at its St. Louis (Missouri) South Assembly Plant to accommodate increased Stow 'n Go production. The investment will be put towards the tooling, facility and process changes needed to add flexibility, enabling the plant to build short-wheelbase, long-wheelbase and Stow 'n Go minivans on the same production line. Previously, Chrysler Group only manufactured Chrysler and Dodge minivans with Stow 'n Go at its Windsor (Ontario) Assembly Plant.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Man, what a journey it has been! My wife and I went back and forth between the Quest and the DGC SXT. This evening we finally made the committment and bought a base S model Quest for $650 under invoice (yes, you read right). After the 2K rebate, the price was $21751, and we paid a hair below $24K out of the door. The van has standard side curtain airbags, traction control, 4 wheel disk ABS, power passenger side door, power liftgate, parking sonar assist, power rear flip out window, and of course the small stuff like floor mats, splash guards, microfilter, cargo cover and cargo organizer.

It came down to the price. To get all those things in an SXT, we would've paid about $23K, 1K more than the Nissan. We tried real hard in the beginning to get the DGC, but sort of gave up on it once we realized it wasn't gonna happen for $22K. The feature we miss the most in the Caravan is the 3rd row plit seating. We love the 2nd row stow-n-go as well, but the Quest's 2nd row almost folds flat although without the two storage wells. On the other hand, we love the Quest's vast head and leg room, big and comfy seats, and its modern querky looks inside and out ;) We also considered the base model Quest which doesn't have the power door and hatch and rear sonar but is $15K cheaper. Finally we decided it'd be worth paying the extra for the added convenience. BTW, the Dodge salesperson was very nice to work with. Happy motoring everybody :shades:
    I think you also made a good buy. I think you'll be glad you spent a few thousand more for those extras. After the good looks of the van wears off, you'd really wish you had stuff like power doors, hatch and etc. Especially for the little woman. You got them without having to give up an arm and a leg to get them.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Congrats on your new van. As long as you and your family are happy that is all that really matters!!! Good luck!!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Thanks fish! I very much appreciated your pricing information on the Caravan. Too bad we didn't get the SXT, oh well maybe next time :)
  • bdc2020bdc2020 Posts: 58
    Please, can someone tell me when one of the DOMESTIC lines (GM, FORD, Chrysler) will finally offfer 2nd row roll down windows like the Mazda, Toyota and now Honda ???

Does anyone know of 2006 changes?
    They might, but they are a waste. Honda would have been smarter making their rear, wing windows open and motorized like Chrysler did. You can't really drive with those second row windows open without getting a helicopter wind effect on the inside of the van. With the rear wing windows open, you allow a/c, heat and even outside air brought in through the air vents, to circulate all through your van much better than if they were closed. I keep mine open almost constantly.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    When we were shopping for a minivan it was a major issue that I noticed with the Odyssey. The '99-'04 Odyssey has these. The rear vent windows are incredibly useful for "clearing the air" inside the cabin. I couldn't believe Honda deleted this item.

Roll down 2nd row windows are a great selling point, but I have to say I've never missed them on my DGC. I would definitely miss my power rear vent windows. That said, I am almost positve the '07 DCX vans will have roll-down 2nd row windows. I just hope they keep the power vents as well.
  • bdc2020bdc2020 Posts: 58
    I hope u are right. We are giving the domestics one more year to add them, and then if not, going foreign. they work great, and the toyota and mazda have the rear quarter openings in addition to the 2nd row as well. Especially for people who get car sick riding the back, the 2nd row roll down can't be beat. They are obviously wanted as manufacturers are adding them and not deleting them.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    I personally never saw the value since we have our 2 little kids riding in the middle seats all the time. maybe when they get a lot bigger we'd use them
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Some people may think roll down second row windows are important, but if I had to choose, fold down into the floor second row seats are much more important!

Seriously, we almost never use any of our opening windows, front or rear. Too much outside noise and wind blowing in.

Occasionally we use the rear wing windows but that is about it. AC in the summer, heat in the winter, and vent in between as needed.
    If someone gets sick in my van, I'm pulling off the road and letting them upchuck outside. Can you imagine trying to upchuck out the window in a moving van? Hope no one else is the back seats. Not to mention the side of the van.

You can't open them when on the highway or when doing any speed at all in the city because of wind. I don't see much use for them at all except slow city driving or using them in a drive in restaurant

But if you would buy foreign just because they have a roll down side window, go buy it. There are more things I can use or want besides that. Stow-n-go I can use and no one else has that.
    WHEN will the 2006 models appear? Some DC dealers are now selling more USED 2005 GC than new. They are abused rental and fleet vehicles that do not have the 7 year 70,000 Powertrain Warranty and none of them have Stow 'N Go seating. Just your very basic, stripper model. :sick:
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    If Daimlerchrysler puts roll down second row windows on their next redesign, the power doors will be effected big time. Right now, Daimlerchrysler minivans are the only one's with the power door motor right inside the door. That's why they are so easy to operate manually during the open/close phase with out fighting against the motor. If the power door motor stops working, you can easily use the doors manually as if they had no power to begin with little to no resistance from the power motor. I know for a fact that there is little to no resistance in opening/closing between the power and non power sliding door, since we have one of each on our van. (They are both easy to open and close). Also, with roll down second row windows, this will make the doors heavier with all the stuff inside the door to make the windows work. With roll down second row windows, they might have to place them in the body of the van. :shades:
  • ottsmottsm Posts: 13
    As others of stated, I'm not sure how important it is to have rear windows going down anymore. I do like the sun shades for the rear windows that Honda has. Before I purchased my T&C I test drove the Honda, I might have purchased it if it would have been cheaper then the T&C, I liked the interior but the quality of the car is suspect. I didn't try the rear windows, does anyone know if they go down the entire way like the old cars use to? I though they prevented this from happening for safety reasons back in the 80's? 99% of the time my windows are up and the AC is on, the other 1% is when I first get in the car and it's hot, then I use the sun roof & rear vents to get the hot air out or when I go to the bank or a toll road and have to put down the drivers window. I don't think I've even tried the passenger side window yet. If you go to the Honda forum you will probably see complaints about the lack of rear vents. It's one of the reasons other then price that pointed me in the direction of the T&C. I think if Chrysler would add a 2nd glove box, sun shades, 8th seat & conversation mirror they would be better off then adding the rear roll down windows.
  • ottsmottsm Posts: 13
    I took my 2005 T&C limited on a 6 hour trip from WV to Ohio, about 340 miles one way not including the city driving we did when we got there. I got 25 MPG according to the trip computer. Thats going about 67 MPH. I also tested it the old way, at the pump. Of course that included the entire trip both highway & city, so it was about 23 MPG. City traffic varies for me. I live 3 miles from work, I'm only getting 16.8 MPG under these conditions. When I go to town and the city driving we did on the trip it's more like the stated 18 MPG.
    Have you ridden in the Honda with someone, with second row, roll down windows on the highway? The wind vibration coming into the van, not to mention the noise, would be uncomfortable as heck. If fresh air is what is needed, all most van owners has to do is turn on the fan and open the rear wing windows. There is a good air flow all through the van without the wind, noise or vibration that comes from rolling down the window. Also rolling down the window, puts much of the wind on the person sitting next to you and not on yourself. They get to eat most of the dirt and bugs that fly in with the air.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    :P Mine came with sunroof too....nice spring day with rear wings vents and sunroof popped up are great :)
    Fresh air? In many metropolitan areas there is no such thing as fresh air with all the car, truck, bus, etc. fumes.
    Dramamine has been the suggested item for a person to take to avoid motion sickness. Have Doctors been wrong all these years? :cry: