Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• I have 2005 TC stow n go. About 3K miles. Getting a high pitched sqeaking noise from the midrow driver side area. Sometimes worse when driving over bumps. Sometimes will squeak even on smooth road. From the rear row, it is definitely from the driver side second row seat area. Could it be driver side sliding door? squeak from second row seat? Anyone else with this problem? Thanks
  • Good question, but please re-read my post. I am NOt looking just for the cheapest junky maintenance parts. I am looking for cheap QUALITY parts.

I have done my research and I believe that the supertech oil filter is one of the top quality filters on the market, only surpassed by the expensive filters such as Mobil 1 or K&N.

For example, in the area of oil filters, Mopar's OEM filters are really nothing special. There is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filter in my opinion. Most of them are Purolators or Champions anyway.

Anyway, anyone have any info on my question about AIR FILTERS?
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I think you should more accurately say you are looking for INEXPENSIVE quality parts and not cheap quality parts.
    Unfortunately, most people equate "cheap" with low quality...which is not always true. :shades:

BTW, I have all the maintenance performed on my 2002 T&C LX at the closest Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealer as long as the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty is in effect. The dealer keeps all maintenance records in their computer as an added bonus. ;)
  • chuckgchuckg Posts: 69
    My wife's 2005 GC had that same/similar squeak. I narrowed it down to the sliding door on the drivers side. It was high on the door and seemed to be coming from around the glass area. Banging on and around the glass didn't stop it. A month later I drove the van and the noise was gone.

My conclusion was that the normal opening and closing of the door sealed up that squeak. I didn't do anything else. You may want to try just opening and closing that door several times and see what happens.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    No changes that I know of. I bought a 2006 DGC SXT. The engine did not change. Haven't been able to figure out why some places list the HP as 215hp and others at 205hp. Thoughts elsewhere is that stow-n-go caused a longer exhaust pipe. But that change was made for 2005 so it should affect both years. Another thought is that it could be the new SAE HP testing procedures.

One big difference is that 2005 came with a 7/70 powertrain warranty whereas the 2006 comes only with a 3/36 bumper to bumper. One of the worst warranties in the industry. Honda added a powertrain warranty, Toyota has one. Worst warranties are Chrysler, GM, Ford (on most models).

I also have learned the hardway that despite there being practically no changes between the two model years, there are some subtle changes. The most common tow hitch for the 2005 does not fit on the 2006 because the rear A/C lines were moved slightly. Hiddenhitch et.al. are redesigning the hitch. There's a uglier hitch that is available that fits that I installed on our DGC. It works fine.

You might want to look at this, Chrysler has an extended warranty and there are more changes in the 2006. You can now get side airbags along with a moonroof on the 2006 that wasn't offered on the 2005.

http://www.chrysler.com/freedom/
  • Everything I have read on the web site (including the build your own section) indicates that the moonroof and side airbags are still not available together. Is this true?
  • susy2susy2 Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! :blush:
  • Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! <<

Funny, it's a $900 option. He probably discourage you from getting it because he didn't have any with them installed on the lot...

I don't know of any of other specific brands - but Best Buy & Circuit City always to have one on sale each week
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I have used the DVD/dual screen setup where the screens attach to the front seat head rest supports. Each of the rear passengers get a screen which they can watch different things on. They are cheap (<$300 complete), removable so you can put them in more than one vehicle and do not block rear visibility.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    anyone buy an extended factory warranty, (as long as possible), and what did you pay? thanks
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    hi
    reason for the hp change is due to a new standard of measuring hp, most automakers are using the new standard, thus the apparent decrease in hp figures
    anyone buy an extended factory warranty, (as long as possible), and what did you pay? thanks

When buying my 2005 Dodge G.C., I debated if I should buy the extended warranty. I mean I have a three year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 7/70,000 power train warranty. Should I get yet another at a cost of around $1,300.00, almost twice what an extended warranty cost on my old Dodge Dakota back in 2001? Well at first I said no, it was to expensive and I shouldn't need it. But then I read where Chrysler's roadside service doesn't cover you if you get a flat, run out of gas, lock yourself out, etc. It only covers you if a part that is covered under their warranty breaks down. So I called AAA and asked what they charge for road side service for my wife and I. They quoted me a price of $145.00 a year for a tow for up to 100 miles. I get out my pin and paper and see at that price for seven years, I would have to pay $1,015.00 just for roadside service. If I were to have the compressor on my A/C go out in the fourth or fifth year, that alone could cost $1,000.00 or more. Although I didn't want to get it, that 7/70,000 extended warranty seem pretty reasonable to me now. It would only be $335.00 more than just paying for AAA. Considering all the power accessories on the G.C., It is cheap, even if nothing goes wrong and the extended service gives you road side service.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    In my life of driving for 25 years I have been towed twice. Once was 70 miles for $140 and once was about 10 miles for $45. Never for a flat.
    I believe that my insurance paid for both of them although I no longer carry that coverage on my insurance. Buy good tires (Michelin), carry a spare, and if all else fails, call a tow truck.
    I am more concerned about a high speed blow-out and subsequent crash than about a mechanical failure.
    If you want the warranty, get it for the warranty.
  • I have just purchased a 2006 Carvan SXT(not Grand Caravan as it would not fit in Garage.). I have 2 small accessory questions.
    1. Stupid one first-should cross bars have come with the roof rack option, or are they always added after? Any brand recomendations? Might use it for kayak and or gear bag.
    2. Anybody have any recomendations on aftermarket center consoles? I like the ability to walk through to the back, but might want one for misc storage of small items. Remeber this is caravan sxt so it does not come with console that is in Grand caravan sxt.
    Thanks much.
  • On the 2006 model can you get both side airbags and the sunroof?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I got cross bars with mine last Dec!!!! That doesn't sound right????
    The original owner of my 2002 T&C LX got a 7 year 75,000 DaimlerChrysler "Added Care" extended warranty that made the original 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty transferable to 2nd owner. He paid $ 840 for the warranty but was later sent a mailing directly from Chrysler which quoted the same warranty at $ 200 more. He was glad he got the extended warranty from the selling dealer. ;)
    The Added Care covers almost everything except brake pads, windshield wiper blades, tires, battery, etc. There is a $ 100 Deductible.
    The Grand Caravan SXT's have cross bars with the standard equipment luggage rack. The luggage rack is part of the Caravan SXT Popular Equipment Group. Apparently someone stole the cross bars. :blush:
    The center console is NOT standard equipment on any SXT and a factory installed center console is not available on the Caravan SXT. (I do NOT want one as I too like the walk space between front seats).
  • Looks like oversight by my dealer on the crossbars. I will call and see what they say. I wanted to check before I called them. Although this dealer has been good so far, my past experience with others is not to trust them without verifying facts elsewhere. I was also waiting for a response from Chrysler(not the dealer) but they have to get back to me still. They said their marketing on roof racks showed it both ways and had to check.
    Bob
  • Now that we have settled the fact that the crossbars are standard equipment on the SXT's, I have a question. Does anyone know how to take them off?
  • I have a 2000 Chysler Town & Country and am considering leasing a new '06 Dodge Caravan or '06 Town & Country. My 2000 is great, but is a little noisy on the highway (road noise, wind). Is there any noticable difference in the insulation in the '06 Grand Caravan SXT vs. '06 Town & Country? Is the T&C worth the few extra bucks per month? Thanks Mike
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    I think the noise difference would be marginal. If you are looking for a loaded model I would suggest the SXT special edition or the T&C signature series. The T&C has two-tone leather, sunroof, 6 CD/DVD changer, rear video, navigation, power sliders, power rear hatch. The SXT special edition has same but no navigation. The T&C looks better in my opinion. Better front end, wheels, and chrome accents.
    2. Anybody have any recomendations on aftermarket center consoles? I like the ability to walk through to the back, but might want one for misc storage of small items. Remeber this is caravan sxt so it does not come with console that is in Grand caravan sxt.
    Thanks much.

I bought an after market console at Pep Boys. It cost around $48.00 and you can mount it to the floor or not. I don't because I also want to be able to walk through.

This has a sliding lockable lid, place for four drinking cups. Two for front seat, two for back. Also a place front and back for tissue. The bin it's self has a lot of room in it for all kinds of stuff. It also has a tray on top for small stuff you want to get at fast. I just talked my brother into getting one a couple of weeks ago. Really helps keeping your van clean and neat without putting a crimp in your wallet. It usually comes in two tone black and gray colors, which fits right in with my minivan.
    I think the GC SXT is the MOST attractive (and I own a 2002 T&C which I also think is more attractive than the 2005-2006 T&C with the Voyager grille ;) ).
    I think the T&C wheels are "too busy" in appearance with too many spokes :confuse: ...although the 5 spoke GC SXT wheels are NOT as attractive as Sienna LE 6 spoke or 2002-2005 Odd EX 7 spoke cast wheels.
    I will agree that the fake wood on the T&C dash is more attractive than the carbon filament trim of the GC SXT.
    As of last week, I have had my Dodge GC for over a year now. Still without any problems. I can't tell you how much I enjoy my minivan.

I no longer have to pick up my three grand kids from school, so there is mostly just me and my dog in it. The wife said I got rid of the truck to soon now that I don't have to pick up the kids and asked me if I was sorry I bought the minivan and no longer had my truck. I told her no way. I really enjoy driving the minivan. I enjoy having all that room I didn't have in the truck. I enjoy not having tools, battery cables and etc. laying in the floor. I enjoy the way the driver's seat fits me like my easy chair and the arm rest it has. I enjoy the better gas mileage I get with the minivan, especially on the highway.(Could never get 20 mpg on the truck, even if all highway driving.) I enjoy how much easier it is to pull into a parking space in a shopping center without having to belly out like I did with the truck. I enjoy being able to buy stuff at more than one store, without having to go home and drop stuff off before going to another. I enjoy the better sound system the minivan has. I really enjoy stowing one middle seat so that I have plenty of room putting big stuff in the side door instead of lifting it up and putting it in the back. I just love the looks of the van from the outside. It really is the nicest looking on the outside of any of them. Especially since putting on that gold pinstipe all around it. A great invention the minivan. I should have gotten one sooner.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Same here!!! 10,000 miles on my 2005 and not a single issue. My biggest complaint - I hate the HARD MOLDED armrest!!! All other minivans have cloth covered, softer armrests.

I think it's hard to beat DCX styling - minivans, trucks or cars! I keep my 2nd row seats folded and love the space in the van and space saved in my garage not having to stow seats there!

My biggest like - the power hatch, something I thought was a waste of $400 is now a must have item for rest of my life.

I'm itching to see what DCX does for 2008 Minivans! I expect bold styling and a more "german" feel since they'll also be building Minivans for Volkswagen.
  • chuckgchuckg Posts: 69
    Ditto here. I purchased a 2005 GC SXT Special Edition a year ago this past fall for my wife. It now has ~12,000 miles on it and the only problem I've had is a bad wheel sensor which took under an hour to fix at the dealership.

This van has options on top of options. From the power doors, to the power hatch, to the DVD, to the backup system warning, to the sun roof, to the Sirius, to the overhead console, to the leather seats, to the stowing of the rear seats, to the seat warmers, etc., etc., etc.

I asked my wife which options she likes best. In order....seat warmers, power doors, and the stow-n-go.

The 3.8l engine has some pep for such a large vehicle. After the second oil change, I went with a full synthetic oil. That thing starts right up on the coldest of winter days. And it's quiet. On the highway it gets between 26-28 MPG. How can you beat that.

The ride is smooth and quiet. It drives like a car and not like a truck. My wife likes to sit high in a vehicle and this thing is a little higher than her previous Villager.

This thing is really nice. I'm actually starting to think that she likes this thing more than me. :)
  • dkdmdkdm Posts: 1
    We have had our 2005 DGC for a yr. and 3 months. The past November I was hit from behind by a drunk driver and the van suffered $8000 worth of damage. The wreck didn't hurt the driving ability of the van and it looks great. However, for the second time in 2 weeks we have had to have it towed to our dealership because it will not start. It turns over and all the interior things light up. It acts like it wants to start but as soon as you let off of the key it dies. PLEASE!!! Any suggestions would be very helpful!!!!! The last time we had in in there they said it was a bad battery cell and put a new battery in it and now it has done the same thing again. We love our van but this is getting crazy. Oh and both times when it gets to the dealership it starts right up!!!!! Thank goodness it is still under warrenty. Help!! Please!!! Thanks :cry:
  • Tell the dealership to check the fuel pump. It could be an intermittent (sp?) problem. Have them check fuel pressure. Hope that helps.
  • I was experiencing hard starts and sometimes a shimmy in engine intermittently lately, after about 5 times of this happening, i took my town and country into dealership and they performed a software update, for the shimmy or rough idle u might call it, i think it was all related, but have not had any more shimmy's nor hard starting, hopefully this is the cure, the update was for the shimmy they told me