Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• Had a similar squeak & I isolated to driver's side middle row seat front strut. Dealer found outside tube to be loose & turned it several times. Have not had squeak since.
  • What is the advantage to a thin 0W oil?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "What is the advantage to a thin 0W oil?"

0W oil flows better when cold meaning that the oil in your engine is already flowing before the engine has even started, even in frigid arctic conditions.

In the case of Mobil-1, their 0W oils meet the following specifications:

0W-30
    - GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
    - Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    - ILSAC GF-4
    - API SM/CF
    - ACEA A1/B1

0W-40
    - Mercedes MB 229.5
    - BMW Longlife 01
    - Porsche Approval List 2002
    - VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
    - GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
    - GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
    - ACEA A3, B3/B4
    - API SM/CF1

This means that these two oils happen to have the most certifications of any other Mobil-1.

In theory, I doubt that 0W oils have much of an advantage beyond the cold start, however, due to the extra additive packages that Mobil puts in their 0Ws, they happen to be their best oils.

For our two DGCs, I use 0W-30 when I can find it, otherwise I use 5W-30, which by the way only carries the following certifications:
    - GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
    - Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    - ACEA A1/B1
    - ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rutger3rutger3 Posts: 361
    Need advice. I am selling in N.J., my 2004 Touring, white, 11,600 miles, excellent condition, power liftgate, power doors, trac control, clean title. On trade the dealer is offering $14,200. What would be a fair selling price if put in local paper? The depreciation rate is amazing on this van, orig msrp was $31k.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I truely hope not!!!! That thing looks like a taller Dodge Magnum, which I REALLY DON'T LIKE. We will be keeping our 2005 T&C Touring for a long time, but if that is what the new minivans look like when it's time to trade, we will look at other vans for sure!!!!!!!! :confuse:
    Hmmm, I very much like the looks of both the current generation and previous generation DC minivans, which is a good thing because we have one of each. That having been said, I like the photo that might could well be the next generation. To me at least it looks like the current van with a Magnum roof line and the schnozzel of a Chrysler 300C (which isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned). All in all, I really like the picture.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I sort of like it. What I really want to see is the inside. That is where Chrysler has been falling down.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I've been thinking about the Mobil 1 0-40 for my own minivan, with the 2.4 4 cylinder engine which I am afraid beats the heck out of its oil due to the demands of propelling a 2 ton minivan.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is a European spec formula which emphasizes engine protection and long oil life instead of maximum fuel economy, which is typical of most European spec oils (although you indicate it DOES pass the SAE "SM" requirement, which has at least some fuel economy - friction modifier - requirements).

One of the things I learned about this oil, when I had a couple of VW's that required it, is that it is formulated at the "thin" end of the 40 weight specification, so it is only a little thicker than a typical 30 weight oil, and should therefore have a neglible effect on mileage.

BTW, unless an oil is loaded up with unstable viscosity index improvers, which a full synthetic won't be, the important number for "warmed up" operations is the second number - don't get scared off by the "0" part of the multi-grade (or by the "5" in typical oils).

True, if you are buying a cheap dino oil (house brand Autozone, or Walmart's Supertech), then a 10-30 might hold its viscosity on the freeway in the desert better than a 5-30 from the same blender, and might be closer to "30" after 3,000-5,000 miles of driving have sheared down the viscoscity index improvers - but if you have full synthetic, those oild WILL stand up to heat better, hold their grade a lot longer, and seldom shear down to a thinner weight.

That's one of the reasons I think full synthetic oil changes are the way to go, and since Walmart offers them for about $30 including parts (the oil itself is $25-28 of that, depending on the current sale price for the oil), labor, and fluid top-offs, there's no real financial reason for shortchanging the quality of lubricants we run in our vehicles.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I saw the same picture of the supposed 2007-2008 minivan on another site, and on that site the poster admitted it had been composed in Photoshop. I think it's a better job than most enthusiast modifications (both in terms of Photoshop technique and having an eye for what works in design terms), but this is DEFINITELY not a spy photo of an actual "mule" car on the road.

On the other hand it could be a good guess - Chevy just made their minivans more "truck-like" in appearance and the manufacturers are, in general, desperate to "take back" the minivan from soccer moms (which is kind of silly, since soccer moms have moved on to SUV's anyway) and make them more "man friendly." (I'm not making this up, sadly.)
    I used the Mobil-1 0W-40 in both of my BMWs, and even a couple of times in our vans. By all accounts, that stuff is pretty great oil, and while I cannot provide any anecdotal evidence either way, I can say that it is also fairly hard stuff to find. Back in the 1999-2002 time frame, the only place I was able to get it was Park Place motors in the Dallas area. In more recent times AutoZone has started carrying it, and *sometimes* I can even find it on the shelf, as such, I usually opt for 0W-30 or 5W-30 for our DGCs.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • But do these Mobil-1 0W oils meet the Chrysler spec?
    Good question. FWIW, I don't personally care, however, I did check both of our manuals and here is what is said:

1998 DGC 3.8: API Certified (For Gasoline Engines) -- 5W-30 or 10W-30
    2003 DGC 3.8: DaimlerChrysler MS-6395 -- 5W-30 or 10W-30

Now, here is the wierd thing, the only oils that I can find that meet the DC MS-6395 spec are 5W-20 oils. Go figure.

If that isn't confusing enough, then there is the latest spec from DaimlerChrysler 229.1/229.3/229.5, and the only oils that I can come up with that match that spec are fully synthetic 0W-40 offerings (such as Mobil-1 0W-40). So, my question is, "Does the 229.x standard superceed the MS-6395 standard?" I snooped around a little and couldn't find an answer to that one.

Regardless, based upon everything that I've read, Mobil-1 0W-40 (and other 0W-40 fully Synthetic oils that meet the 229.x standard) are simply the best oils on the market for anything shy of all out hot weather racing.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I am ready to kick Chrysler right where it counts! I had a 1999 and just loved it so when they came out with the stow and go seats, I had to have it. I bought a 2005 Limited LOADED... $43,000. Now don't get me wrong, I love the van and if it wasn't for that, it would have been gone by now. I have had problems with the visor (replaced twice), the electronic start, the positioning - first the seat, now the mirror and radio. The passenger side door came off the track while we were in the middle of the Smokey Mountains. And my U-Connect would break up if I turned the volume up.

Now my BIGGEST problem is my radio. I have the Satellite/GPS model. I have been come very addicted to Sirius. Well I can get in to my car, turn it on and get static from Sirius. At first I thought it was clouds or interference but after a while I took it in to be looked at. They couldn't find anything and it started happening again. I noticed that the radio would also lock up and I couldn't even turn it off.

Now sometimes if I stopped the car, turned it off, opened the door to shut off the radio and then restart the car it would fix it. But not always. I will finally maybe after driving 10 mins. People must think I am nuts at stop lights, turning off my car and opening/closing my door.

Of course because this happens only when it wants to and the dealer is a town away, I can't show it to them. They did replace I think it was the antenna, but that didn't do any good. The poor guy at the Chrysler dealer wants to bad to help me but he his hands are tied by Chrysler.

So I called Chrysler today told them everything that has happened and how unhappy I am and they still will not replace the radio because when the techs look at it, it is fine. So I told the girl I will video tape it next time, either that or get rid of the damn van. :mad: The problem is, I love it too much and I don't think I can depart with it. :cry:

So I am curious, has anyone else had any problems with their radios at all, or is it just my bad luck as usual.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    We have had no problems with our '05 Touring's radio.

On a side note, please tell me you didn't pay $43,000 for your Limited? I tried to build one online and it is almost impossible to build one to the $43,000.
  • I have been on that web site before and they state that they had an artist draw what he thought the new Caravan would look like from the 2 spy photos they have. So don't count on the new one looking anything like the picture. We'll all have to wait until next year to see it.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    On a side note, please tell me you didn't pay $43,000 for your Limited? I tried to build one online and it is almost impossible to build one to the $43,000

I too was blown away at hearing you paid $43,000 for a Chrysler.

Your idea of video taping your problem with your radio is a good idea. I have suggested that several times for problems that come and go. As you have the lemon law if you can prove your problem.

As for your radio, I am with the understanding Chrysler does not make them with those features and are not installed at the factory.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    It may not be the radio at all but the Antenna, or cable going into it.

$43k????? I just build a 2006 with EVERY available options....appearance options, storage bins and everything I could click on....about $43,500!!!! You actually paid full sticker?
  • jamahjamah Posts: 1
    I have a T&C with 13,500. Within a 3-5 days of noticing some break noise, we had the car serviced. Our local mechanic referred us to the dealership because the pads had worn on both front wheels and began cutting into the rotors. The dealership offered us replacement pads and machined the rotors to barely within spec at a $50 deductable charge - a "good will" gesture because they arent covered under warranty. Our local mechanic checked the work, and noticed the brake pedal drops about 1/8 in after fully depressed which may indicate some issue with the master cylinder. Wondering at this point if there could have been a malfunction with master cylinder/hydraulic system all along causing premature wear on the pads/rotors. The master cylinder is included in the warranty for 36 mos. I've checked the Technical Service Bulletins and recall info and have found no info supporting a faulty break system in these vehicles and dont see more than 5 or so posts as of recent. Does my wife really abuse the van as the service manager at the dealership would have us believe? He agreed to further inspect the master cylinder and hydraulic system - but i'm pretty sure he's yanking my chain and I'll be replacing pads and rotors again sometime in the near future. Anyone else having similar issues?
  • :mad: :mad: We purchased our 2005 Grand Caravan in August 2004. We love the space and the stow and go seats. We added a dvd and satalite radio and a remote start. I loved it from the beginning. But 2 months after driving off the lot the engine started making a knocking noise. We have had it in 2 different dealership shops a total of 11 times. They have ran every test that Chrysler has told them to do and they still can't find out what the noise is. Then yesterday at 21000 miles I had to have the brake pads and rotors replaced! I am so sick of all of this. I am tempted to get rid of the stupid thing. Chrysler hasn't been any help. They just say Sorry, we have done all we can. I really can't take anymore of this.
  • I sort of like it. What I really want to see is the inside. That is where Chrysler has been falling down. "

I like the way it looks a lot. Even if its a photo shop, I like it.

I hope they also take the interior cues from the 300, which I think has one of the best for an American car:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Ch- rysler/100378299/032880-E.jpg
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Does your state have a lemmon law?
  • Anyone have this problem? It was 20 degrees out the other day and I coud Not manually shut the hatch, it seemed like it was bouncing off a sweatshirt or something...And I used moderate force...However using the automatic closer it did pull it down...Doesnt seem to do it when its warmer out...Dealer said there Is a TSB but no fix yet, and that it happening at 20 degrees+ was a first, supposed to be a 10 degree thing..
    Tony
  • It did it again,esp since the temp out was like 6 degrees..after driving around though, and the car was warm inside,it worked normally despite the frigid outside air..
    A bit of an annoyance on a vehicle with 3k miles
    Tony
  • I went out to Lowes this past weekend with the van reading -6 and it worked fine without using the remote. We had a 2003 were the latch would freeze from time to time when driving over wet roads in the winter and the dealer said it was an issue here in the Denver area, but have had no problems with our 2005.
  • I'd like to know where I could get $10K off of a T&C Limited.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    I don't think that's possible this month, but I suspect incentives will come back up on DCX minivans.

Find a DCX employee who has not used his employee choice number to get $4102 off MSRP of a base T&C Limited. Find a dealer who will give you an extra $2k discount. Wait for $4k+ in rebates vs. today's $3k. I've seen dealer ads in Detroit for $10k off in the last 6 months, but not this month. A couple more says until next month's incentives, though.
  • Thanks HeaveyDoe..
    It's going in Wednesday because of that (this time service guy didnt know of a hatch TSB), AND NOW the driver's side slider is posessed. Pillar switch refuse to work, and then all of a sudden the door opens and closes completely on it's own. Get this, I was sitting at the wheel idling and decided to reach back (in park) and try to test the pillar switch. THAT motion somehow triggered the door, BEFORE I got near the switch. I know it could be coincidence, but I did it several times, and waited a couple minutes before I was able to do it again.
    Its crazy. Like brushing the belt tensioner or something did it....

Not too pleased about it,with 3500 miles on the car. I tried posting this on a big dodge forum and I get NOTHING. The experts there seem to tackle older minivan problems....
    Tony

Edit : In fact it acted so wierd I 'locked' the controls on the overhead console because the wife was taking 6 people around town from work and I was afraid it would malfunction in front of them. It didnt do it to her, but nor were people able to use the pillar buttons to exit...I guess thats cool, because she told them she didnt know how to unlock them.
  • mmandsrmmandsr Posts: 3
    I've had enough! Yesterday we traded in the not so Grand Caravan for a 2006 Honda Odyssey. I couldn't be more happy. The fact that we were so upside down was really hard to swallow; but I love love love the new van! :)
  • dm3dm3 Posts: 25
    Gee, never know what will set people off. A noise and brake pads at 21k miles is enough to ditch a van you like and take a bath on a new Odyssey? Hope you're the one Odyssey owner who's transmission doesn't fail. I'm sure that must have cost a pretty penny. Sienna owners gripe too about brake pad wear. I can relate to knocking noise. We had that on a '96 Chevy pickup. Dealer did some stuff to make it better but it never went away. We eventually sold it 9 years later and never had a real problem because of it.

I was essentially the same way, except that it was vibration in our brand new 2005 Sienna that the dealer and Toyota wouldn't fix. We ended up ditching it to get a 2006 Grand Caravan that so far has been very grand.
  • mmandsrmmandsr Posts: 3
    Like I said I couldn't be happier! Hope you Grand Caravan doesn't crap out on you. If so hope the dealership is more sympathetic than ours was. We all have to do what we feel is right for us. Good luck. You might need it!