Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• mojdodyrmojdodyr Posts: 22
    Just bought Sienna )))
    :)
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Looking at a Dodge/Chrysler minivan, which motor is better? Taking into consideration HP, Torque, reliability, fuel rating???? Which is newer?
    Thanks!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    If you are looking at the long vans, I prefer the 3.8. It has good power and really good torque, and its fuel economy is not much different than the 3.3. For the short van, the 2.4 is OK if you don't mind slow acceleration, but the 3.3 is much peppier. I think the 2.4 might be the newest motor of the three, but the others have been extensively reworked over the years.
  • dm3dm3 Posts: 25
    I've driven both extensively and prefer the 3.8. It's torque is most satisfying. It overall doesn't necessarily feel that much more powerful than the 3.3 but it sounds less strained doing it. We've had better fuel economy in our driving with the 3.8 than the 3.3 although the 3.3 is rated slightly better in EPA tests.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    You don't have much choice. It is not a stand alone option. If you want a SWB, you cannot get the 3,8L. If you want the equipment of a Grand SXT or T&C Touring or Limited, then you have to take the 3.8L.

I have the 3.8 and would not want anything less powerfull for the LWB. I can't wait for the 4.0L in the next generation DCX van.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Factoid: There's no replacement for displacement.

We had the option of either the 3.3 or the 3.8 upgrade (for a whopping $150) for our first DGC, so we drove both. No comparison, for getting on a freeway or passing on a two-lane road, the 3.8 has it where the 3.3 does not.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Great! Thank you so much!!!!
  • ViperggVipergg Posts: 24
    For less than $1000 more you can order the cheap SE with the 3.3 V6 which is much pleasant to drive and actually gets better highway mpg than the 4 cylinder . This 6 will get 26 mpg on the highway , maybe more int he short wheelbase. Have a 2005 full size T&C with the 3.3 and that will get 26 mpg running about 72 mph down the highway . The 3.3 is a very quiet and smooth engine and is probably a better way to go if you can afford an extra $970 .
  • ViperggVipergg Posts: 24
    Nah that is garbage . Had a 88 Sundance that ran thru a quart every 1300 miles or so since new , Chrysler said that was acceptable , never got any worse than that and that being said it ran to over 100000 miles without a problem and I never had any problem with the cat on it .
  • Hi! I just bought a Touring Town & Country and I've been having an extremely hard time getting used to the drivers seat, my back finds it very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this trouble? I'm now in the market for a seat support of some kind and don't know where to start. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!
    It adjusts 8 ways. I'm sure you can play with it to find a good position for you. I find my T&C Touring seat the most comfortable driver's seat I have owned. My 1-hr commute each way is my proof.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Hi! I just bought a Touring Town & Country and I've been having an extremely hard time getting used to the drivers seat, my back finds it very uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this trouble? I'm now in the market for a seat support of some kind and don't know where to start. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! "

Did you adjust the lumbar support? I've found that helps ( I push it as far forward as it goes).
  • jhw3131jhw3131 Posts: 1
    Our 05 TC touring edition with 15000 mi is "rocking" from side to side as we enter any driveway, entrance, etc. or encounter a bump? any suggestions? Yes, it has mc phersons, sway bars, etc. But it is bad. jhw3131
  • Well that does make me feel better! Maybe my back just needs to get used to it, but it's been about 4 weeks now. It is 100% different than my old, large, plush, wrap around seat in my car. Hopefully a month from now I too will be saying how comfortable it is. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I've been to the chiropractor twice already. Do you have the cloth or leather? I really appreciate the feedback!
  • My mini van has cloths seats and no lumbar support :(
    I am hoping that I can find either a lumbar support or back support of some kind to ease the muscle pain. It must be the position I am sitting, the shape of the seat or something. I haven't figured it out, I just know that my back hurts after a very short time driving. Maybe someone else will have some suggestions on a good back/lumbar support, there are about 100 different ones on-line. I'm hoping that my back will adjust in time, and I'll love my new van. Right now I don't even care to drive it. Thanks!!
  • riojask1riojask1 Posts: 1
    After hearing noises from the front brakes my husband had his brakes replace about two weeks ago. One week later after driving on the highway for about 1/2 hour we noticed a loud noise, stopped the vehicle and the back wheel smelled and was hot and we lost brakes, having to use the emergency brake to stop. (The back brake had only been adjusted.) The repair shop couldn't find anything but they replaced all brake pads. Well a week or so later my husband was coming down a mountain in NC and the brakes went out again. The second location now says they can't find anything wrong either????? Anyone know of any recalls on the Town&C Van? : :)
  • dm3dm3 Posts: 25
    You mentioned you lost brakes, but didn't say if or when they started working again. Description sounds like the dealer should be able to notice a problem. 2005 is under warranty. Dealer should be able to look up any recalls based on the VIN. I haven't heard of any regarding brakes.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I had the same problem and went to a back store and got a small lumbar cushion.
  • gman73gman73 Posts: 3
    Understood - just looking for anyone else with similar problems or experiences.

No, I'm not a lawyer :)
  • afetsafets Posts: 2
    Have a 05 SXT with cloth seats and hated the drivers seat because of no lumbar support. Found an electric pump/bladder on eBay and installed. Great system, easy to install and enjoy those long trips now. Looks like a factory installed system. The installation guide had the manufacture and here is their URL: http://www.rostra.com/lumbar-support.htm . The site also has the installation guide so you can take a look at the installation. Don’t know the cost with them as I paid $28 on eBay. Good luck..Jim
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I bought a NEW 2006 Sienna LE and do not like it as well as my 2002 T&C LX. I could have purchased a 2006 GC SXT for about $ 4,000 LESS than I paid for my 2006 Sienna LE or $ 7,000 less than a 2006 Ody EX (cloth). :cry:
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    The uncomfortable driver's seat was my only complaint about my 2002 T&C LX.
    The 2006 Sienna LE driver's seat is very comfortable but other than the comfortable driver's seat, more attractive interior and 5 speed AT of Sienna and Odyssey, the T&C or GC are much nicer overall than the Sienna or Odyssey.
    BTW, the DC minivan front seats with separate head rest have always been more comfortable for me than the seats without the adjustable headrest. ALL DC minivans now have the more comfortable seat than my 02 T&C has.
  • lyplyp Posts: 2
    Tonight I pulled into the driveway and started to get out of the van when I noticed a warning bell going off. Just like when you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door. I had the kry out of the ignition, the headlights were off and this warning bell keeps going off until I close the drivers door.

It has never done this before so I pulled the manual out and for the life of me I can't find anything in it about this warning. There are no warning lights on in the dash?????

I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?
  • couggolfcouggolf Posts: 1
    We're looking at buying a 2006 DGC STX with powerlift gate, 6 cd/dvd, and DVD system. MSRP is 30,135. Can get it for 23,000 with cash back, CF financing. Is this a good deal? Should we wait? Any recommendations, advice would be appreciated. Will there be a better time this year to buy a new STX? Thank you.
    $7k off MSRP is pretty good. I think incentives will go up by summer, but selection may be lower. If this one has everythign you want, I'd go for it.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Did you have either side door (the sliding door) open at the time?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?

If you leave your headlights on without keys in ignition you get warning bells. Maybe this is it?
    I'd say that's excellent too!! The only other thing you could get off it, is employee pricing IF you would know a DCX employee. I'd say go for it too!
  • lyplyp Posts: 2
    My wife figured it out....duh

It was chiming because the interior light was left on. I feel like a Dumb @SS. :blush:
    thank god though, that unlike Hondas, DCX minivans have a battery saving circuit that keeps you from totally draining your battery!!