Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    The Sienna has LESS interior space than the T&C or GC altho it does have more cargo space behind the 3rd row.
    I test drove a 2004 Sienna recently and it had MUCH more acceleration than my 2002 T&C LX 3.3L at speeds above 40 or 45 MPH. I test drove a 2005 GC SXT with 3.8L in early 2004 and did not notice much better acceleration than in my 02 T&C with 3.3L....but the new 2005 GC SXT was too new for me to stomp hard on the accelerator out of respect for the person who may buy it. :blush:
    The Sienna CE is a fairly stripped minivan lacking many nice comfort features of most DC minivans altho it does have more powerful engine with an outstanding 5 speed Automatic transmission. I could not be satisfied with a Sienna CE after owning my nice, used 2002 T&C LX which is one of the lower priced DC minivans. ;)
  • On three occasions I heard a loud noise on starting the vehicle. It sounds like it comes from the middle of the dashboard. Almost like Loud static from a radio that isn't tuned to a station. It could be coming from the engine compartment. Within 20-30 seconds the noise stops. I thought it might be some interference between the radio and uconnect hands free speaker phone. However I was able to speak on the speaker phone while the noise was going on.. The dealer tells me to leave the car with him, but of course it will probably never duplicate the problem. Has anyone else had a similar noise problem?
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    What strikes me more than anything is the wiring that is visible in areas where you wouldnt expect to see it. Examples: behind side view mirrow on drivers side- wires visible in the gap between mirror and housing (2 red 1 white), between headlamp on drivers side and front fascia (orange&black), the wiring harness for the pwr sliding doors.

I have the sister to it, the Dodge GC. and don't see any exposed wires in the places you mentioned. Everything seems to fit together well with no gaps to see any exposed wires.

I have owned several Chrysler products in the last 25 years. I can say so far, this van has a better fit and finish than any of their other products I have owned. So far it has been trouble free in the eight months I have had it. That has surprised me some, with all the electronics on it.
  • all4joall4jo Posts: 1
    hello i just brought a 2005 town n country limited , my sticker price was 37,190
    and the lowest i got it to was 31.370.
    anyways my van does have the gps navigation radio RB1 but it does not have sirius which i really want. has anyone had any experience upgrading to sirius? i called around and pretty much everyone wants close to $300 for the tuner and the install kit ,,plus $140 for installation. i just think this is allot of money.
    thanks
    JOse
  • They already performed TSB 02-004-05 but not the one you mentioned. I'll look into it-thanks.

I did get the brakes replaced and got the old pads-they were very worn. I no longer have the excessive brake dust. In fact I have hardly seen any dust since having this done, around 3 weeks ago. Sure makes me think they use very low quality pads in production. I highly recomend any owner noticing excess brake dust to have their brakes checked prior to reaching 12,000 miles!
  • We bought the brand new 2005 caravan in May of 2004. I have noticed the excessive brake dust since day one. It has nothing to do with keeping it cleaned. It takes one trip to have dust that is thick and black. It took me 3 cleaners to figure out how to get rid of it. I also have a loud squeaking noise that happens after the van is warmed up whenever I steer. It is very, very loud. I was wondering if it is related to the brake dust issue. Anyone else have this problem?? :(
  • This is an update on the strange noise I heard from my 2005 Town& country.
    I originally heard the noise on start up. Now I've heard the noise on a few occasions when I was sitting in the car with the engine off. The noise sounds like a loud buzzing type noise that seems to be coming from the area where the center dash vents are. Its not exactly a buzz but it's pretty loud and lasts about ten seconds.Anyone out there have a similar experience? It almost sounds like an electric switch activating..
    No problem like that with my 2005. Going on 9 months now and so far, everything works as advertised. I'd take it to the dealer. Won't cost you anything.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm wondering if Dodge is adopting the Germany mentality to brake design here. On my BMW, I get lots of brake dust etc.... This is typical for German cars. On many German cars, the brakes and the rotors wear at the same time creating lots of dust. When you need brake pads you also need rotors (NEW, not turned) and it's very expensive$$$$$. I hear this provides better braking - both rotors and brakes wearing evenly????? Now that DCX is basically German owned....I wonder (I'm probably very wrong here :)
  • Hey guy I use this resource for all of my 2005 Dodge GC, I find their prices very competitive and everything they sell is Mopar stamped and manufactured just for Dodge so there is no modifying anything on your vehicle. They sell the sirius system on this web site. link title
  • Hey does anyone out there have a good resource for high end performance on these 2005 Dodge Grands? :confuse: What I would like to do is maybe reprogram the computer so I can "try" to get better gas mileage and on the other end of the spectrum make more power when I want to. :P My van currently gets about 18MPG average city/highway together over about a 2000 mile span. I currently have only put a K&N filter in it and I am eyeing some better spark plugs and maybe heavier plug wires. Other then that I cannot find much out there in performance.

BTW this is my second Dodge my last one was a 98 sport and I am totally convinced that there is no other minivan out there that can compete in looks, fit and finish, design and reliability. Dodge/Chrysler have the market, hook line and sinker! :)
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    You are looking for High end performance parts for a Minivan? Are you sure you are in the right forum? I have NEVER heard of such!!!
    A buddy of mine at DCX, Ralph Gilles, lead designer for new 300 and Magnum, is into racing on weekends. When he got his big promotion at DCX 5 years ago, he had to sell his tricked out VW Corrado for a DCX vehicle. At the same time his wife was pregnant and wanted a Minivan.

Soooo what does he do? He buys a Dodge Caravan, puts the 250hp V6 from last 300 in it, adds Viper brakes and wheels, modifys it completely!! I'd bet he had 300hp by time he was done!! Talk about sleeper car!!!! Plain old white caravan!!!!
  • boesman1boesman1 Posts: 47
    Ok, lets just do a poll here on the 05 T&C, I have had me for about a month and the brake dust is the worse I have ever seen on any vehicle that I ever owned !

Lets face it, a car looks good when the wheels are clean and I pride myself in the shape I maintain my cars and trucks. The T&C creates incredible amounts of brakes dust on BOTH front and rear wheels. :mad: The condition is worse than on my high performance cars. I have noticed alot of other 2005 T&C's with the same problem. It would be nice to have wheels that stay reasonably clean for 300 or 400 miles. These are the WORST, I am getting too old to be cleaning my wifes wheels weekly as I have enough trouble keeping up with my truck and sports car.

Would love to hear from others if this is a very COMMON problem and if so what the cause and whats the fix. This annoys me so much that I am considering paying my mechanic to put in ceramic pads for me, which is the solution I used on my last truck when someone else put in cheap pads. Ceramics would go a month and still look decent after 5 -7 hundred miles.

Just my two cents
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I have also noticed the problem and a friend's 2000 GC LE alloy wheels have become a badly corroded, ugly brownish-orange color. :cry:
    However, another friend has 80,000 + miles on a 99 GC with alloy wheels. The alloy wheels are NOT discolored and not corroded and the van still has the original pads (rear brakes are drum). :confuse:
    I HATE the problem but the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger are such a nice luxury that I got the used 2002 T&C LX after comparing one son's 2001 Ody EX and another son's 2002 GC Sport. This one feature is NOW an item my wife and I could never be without...and we also like the complete overhead console that is NOT on any Odyssey. :cry:
    I get a fair amount of dust on my 2005 DGC, but it doesn't upset me that much. If it does you, for peace of mind, get the ceramic pads. Keeps the blood pressure down.
    Yeah, I don't like the dust but have seen much worst - my 2001 BMW is 10 times worst.

German car makers/engineers prefer that pads and rotors wear evenly. When you replace pads you must replace (not turn) rotors too! This causes a lot of dust. I wonder if DCX is heading that way? I don't have a clue though, just guessing!

Could be the pads are coming from China, are made of cow sh*t and that's the reason :)
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    My 2005 T&C Touring gets a lot of brake dust front and rear, but no more so than these vehicles I've driven over the last 5 years:

2000 Ford SVT Contour
    2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4
    2004 Dodge Stratus SXT
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica
    2005 Jeep Liberty

The Pacifica was marginally better with the chrome-plastic wheels.

My 2002 Lexus IS300 brake pads were great. Those wheels never looked dirty from brake dust, and I'd sometimes go 1000 miles between washes. My 1999 Ford F-150 Supercab 4x4 was pretty good, but it had chrome-plastic wheels too. I think Ford changed the pads between 1999 and 2003.

I replaced my 99 F-150 front brake pads with Napa Ceramix and the rotors from Autozone, and the rotors warped in less than a year. Then I bought appropriate rotors and they are still good after 30k miles. Anyway, my point is that ceramic pads retain heat longer than semi-metallic which can be a bad match with some rotors.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I looked at my power steering level in our '05 T&C Touring and decided to top off. I read the owners manual and realized Chrysler recommends Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF+4) in the power steering resivoir. I went to pick some ATF+4 at my local car parts and they only had ATF+3. I asked the Associate and he said ATF+3 would work fine for the power steering. I would NEVER use ATF+3 in the transmission, but what are your thoughts about using it for power steering fluid? Is there that much of a difference between ATF+3 and ATF+4?
  • Just picked up my 2005 Chrysler T&C Touring and I've got a couple of questions for you pros.
    My Olds Van had a tray built into the top of the dash that was very handy. Any after market items that attach to the dash of the T&C?
    Has anyone attached their I-pod to the stereo system? What's the best route?
    I have two dogs and I'd like to protect the back of the van from scratches... anyone been there?
    Thanks for your time in advance.