Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    I have a 2005 T&C Touring and put 8500 miles on it. it is my first minivan for my first kid. For the relative cost with similar features compared to Ody EX, Sienne XLE, I am very happy. I love all the standard features (power sliders/hatch, tri-zone HVAC, trip computer, StoNGo) and my single option, the front center console. No dealer visits.

I don't know how the 2005 can have a better reliability. There are only a few minor differences, like the tri-fold 2nd row storage covers that allow easier access to the bins. Pure random samples of customer ratings, and a limited set as well. 2006 DCX minivans have only been on the lots for 6 weeks.

I highly reoommend the Signature Series which is a bargain of a package, or the DGC Special Edition is similar w/o NAV. IMHO, both are better values than the T&C Limited. For November there is $3500 in rebates on 2006 models, $4k on 2005 models. Also, DCX employees have two of their employee prices to give out to anyone. If you can find an employee that has not given his away yet, you can save at least $3k off MSRP, minus any rebates. Some dealers in Detroit are offering $1k-2k additional off, dealer cash or selling below employee price. I saw an ad for 2006 T&C Touring for $19.5k, Signature for $23k.
  • I read your posting and have a similar problem with my 2005 Town and Country. Rotors wear out every 4000 miles. The car is presently covered under warranty. We have replaced them three times already. The rotors wore out again at 17,000 miles for the fourth time in 16 months. Dealer said this problem is not under warranty. I am the only driver of this car and drive the same way I always have for the last 40 years and never had this type of problem with brakes in the past. The dealer is trying to say it is because of my driving habits that they wore out which is not the case. Are there others out there who are experiencing this type of problem with their Town and Country van? donnyb
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Your dealer is NOT responsible. My 2002 T&C has original pads and rotors at 37,200 miles and my daughter's 1999 GC has original rotors at 82,000 miles. I do not know if she has even had to replace the pads yet. ;)
  • dm3dm3 Posts: 23
    We were debating between a GC SXT and a Sienna LE8 with package #2. We ended up spending $1500 less on the GC and it comes with more stuff including, dual power sliding doors (not just passenger side which isn't very useful), power liftgate, alloy wheels, 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control.
    We owned a 2005 Sienna. I didn't think it bother me, but it just doesn't drive as well as the GC. The Sienna feels like a big lumbering van. We like the drivability of the GC much better.
    And gas mileage has been better w the GC.
    You also have separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger in the GC SXT that is NOT available on any Sienna LE. ;)
    My wife and I feel that the 2006 Sienna LE looks and feels more luxurious inside than the 2006 GC SXT and also has the Instant Economy reading on the trip computer that is on our 02 T&C LX but which has been taken off DC minivan trip computers the past few years. :sick:
    I agree the Sienna interior looks and feels more luxurious. I also think the Sienna LE 8 passenger configuration is more flexible allows all sorts of seating options. The steering on the Sienna is also lighter which some folks might like better, might feel more luxurious. But to me it feels numb. I hate the brakes, not wild about the engine on the highway (very little spare torque) nor its gas mileage.
    The Sienna has instant economy which the GC does not, but I haven't missed it. The instant economy was never useful around here, slight hills. It would always read 99 going downhill and 5 going uphill, too hard to average. Its easier to reset the mileage on the GC so I can average over whatever I want.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Back in the 1980s when I lived in the Chicago area, I had two Chrysler products that had the Instant MPG setting on their trip computers. In that area I found them to be quite useful, at least from an intellectual curiosity point of view. When we got our 1998 GC Sport, it too had the Instant setting, however, since we lived in the NYC area, it proved to be largely useless. Now that I live in the rolling hills of southern New Hampshire, it is probably the only setting on the overhead display that I don't look at. As dm3 succinctly put it, 99 down and 5 up. Simply worthless. Needless to say, we don't miss that display mode on our 2003 GC ES.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Lack of Instant Economy reading and lack of lumbar support in driver seat of GC SXT will probably cause me to buy a 2006 Sienna LE instead of a 2006 GC SXT. ;) I always have my 02 T&C LX trip computer set on Instant Economy and scroll back and forth between it and the compass/outside temperature. ( I do check the overall average every hundred miles or so and at the end of the trip to compare with calculated mileage).
    Travelling at night, the Instant Economy reading is the only way I know if I am going uphill or down. Uphill it can read anywhere from 13 to 25 MPG and downhill anywhere from 40 to 99 MPG. On the level (without wind) it fluctuates between 32 and 33 MPG at 65-66 MPH.
    I am also disgusted with DC cheapening the minivans by deleting the lighted controls on the doors and heating coils at the base of the windshield that are contained on my bottom of the line 2002 Chrysler T&C LX. :sick:
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I have my 2005 Grand Caravan for almost a year, and have about 11,000 miles. I like it a lot, but also have so many things to dislike. I had to replace my entire steering system due to a strange noises whenever I turned the steering wheel. I also hate that bulky big steering wheel, Which Chrysler uses in many of their lineup. Toyota's and Honda's steering wheels are smaller, giving you a better feel which is more sporty and easier to handle.

I also have some squeaks and rattles which drives me crazy, I just don't have the time to sit at the dealer to figure out where it comes from. Meanwhile, it drives me crazy.

I don't like the automatic temp. controls. Too complicated to use, especially these days when it's cold in the morning, getting hot during the day, and again cold at night, so I have to hold all 3 buttons (3-zones) about half a minute every time to move it from 85 fahrenheit to 60 and back and forth every time. I loved my older cars with manual controls which you just slide or turn a knob from red to blue and the change is done.

The controls are not the best, too many similar buttons on the audio system. I don't like the white gauges either. The car is much noisier than the 2003 T&C I drive at work. Mileage is also bad, 13.5 mpg average.

I do like the 8-way power seats, the outside temperature; the driver information center; turning radius; audio controls on the steering wheel are excellent; and some other minor things.

I still need back the old features from the pre-2002 models: illuminated controls for power door locks, windows, mirrors, and ignition key ring; lamps on the front doors, dual liftgate lamps (not one); windshield wiper de-icer; closable bins for the 3rd row; light in glove box; and more.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I don't like the automatic temp. controls. Too complicated to use, especially these days when it's cold in the morning, getting hot during the day, and again cold at night, so I have to hold all 3 buttons (3-zones) about half a minute every time to move it from 85 fahrenheit to 60 and back and forth every time. I loved my older cars with manual controls which you just slide or turn a knob from red to blue and the change is done."

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something, but we have one van with the old fashioned slide controls, one for the driver and one for the passenger, and another van which has the three zone climate control. Me? I'll take the three zone climate control any day.

I have to ask, why on earth are you fiddling around with the temperature settings at all? If you get in your car and it's cold inside, it will warm up to an interior setting of say 72 no faster with the display set on anything warmer than that same 72. Said another way, it will take just as long to hit 72 when the controls show 85 as it would if you just left it alone in the first place. The same also holds true if it's 110 inside and you have the system set at 70, just leave it alone (or enable Recirc mode) and drive.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    My thoughts exactly!! I was going to say why would you need to set the temp in the morning to 85 and in the evening to 60? The point of AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL is to set the temp on a comfortable 72degrees and let the system work. Shipo said it well!!
    I feel for you as far as the rattles are concerned. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Luckly, our '05 T&C has ZERO rattles in the 7500 miles we have driven.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    I've never thought of that! I'll try it out. Thank you.

One think I don't like, though, is that air is blowing all over, on the windshield (defroster) here and there, The system's mind is different than mine :)
    Well, I guess I can see your frustration. But you can manually change the direction the air blows (face, mid and feet) by turning the system to manual setting. I do get a tad frustrated when it's cold outside and the system, when set in auto mode, directs the air to my feet when my upper body is chilly. But the system will warm up the cabin if given time. So far, we are really enjoying our van.
    We're very happy so far with our 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. Almost 3000 miles so far. We like it much better than our 2005 Toyota Sienna.
    Handles great, gets better gas mileage (23-27mpg), more functional.
    We've had a first problem develop, hasn't been back to the dealer yet. The power rear liftgate sometimes doesn't close on the 1st try. The gears aren't meshing right. Otherwise no problems.
    My 2002 T&C LX HAS illuminated controls for power door locks, windows, mirrors but not the ignition key ring. It also has the heating coils at base of windshield, closable bins for 3rd row, dual lights on liftgate, dual lights on visors for front row, and NO squeeks or rattles. ;)
    The steering wheel is a whopping 1/8th inch larger diameter than Carl's 2006 Sienna LE and my sister's 2002 Ford Explorer which are each 14-7/8 inches in diameter while the T&C LX is 15 inches. I will measure the diameter of my son's 2001 Odd EX when I next see it.
    I prefer the complete set of audio controls on my T&C LX much better than the more complex controls on the Sienna and Odyssey where more than one function is on a control.
    Complicated automatic temperature controls? All Odd EX-L that I have test driven (2002, 2005, and 2006) have VERY complicated temperature and heater fan controls. :sick: If the GC SXT with automatic control is as complicated as the Odd EX-L, it is definitely not as easy to use as the manual Triple Zone Control on my 2002 T&C LX.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    We like it much better than our 2005 Toyota Sienna.

Why did you get rid of your Sienna? My father loves his 2003 Sienna and the Dealership (doubt he'll ever buy from another dealer).
    Problems started on the way home from buying the Sienna. We noticed a vibration which ended up taking the dealer 3 weeks to fix. In the process they disabled the car for a week. No one cared, not the dealer, not Toyota. Eventually they fixed it, things were ok. We noticed many little annoyances. What was bothering me most was how it drove. Feels like you're driving a big lumbering minivan. I kept saying I wouldn't let that bother me, after all it is a big minivan, but it did.
    4 weeks after they had fixed the problem we parked on a street and went to a festival. Upon returning the Sienna had been hit. I was eventually able to get it totalled. We rented a Grand Caravan SE for 3 weeks. Felt very base compared to our Sienna, but the more we used it the more we liked it.
    Went shopping for a new van, took a fresh look at Sienna, Odyssey and Caravan. We had never looked at the Caravan 1st time around. Ended up with a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. I like the way it drives. Seating configuration isn't as flexible as the Sienna. We'll see over time if thats a problem or not.
  • I was trying to locate this info and could not find it on the Dodge website. Anyone know of the difference between these two years, if any?

Thanks! :)
    NONE that I have been able to find and I have looked very closely at both the 2005 and 2006 GC SXT....unless you count the lowering of the power from 215 HP and 245 Lb-ft torque initially listed for the 2005 GC SXT 3.8L V6 and the 205 HP and 240 Lb-ft listed for the 3.8L V6 in the 2006 brochure. :cry:
    The base price increased periodically for the 2005 GC SXT from $ 26,315 + $ 680 Destination ( $26,995) to $ 26,895 + $ 730 Destination ( $ 27,625) while the 2006 GC SXT was $ 27,710 + $ 730 Destination ($ 27,830) at introduction.