Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• mfletou1mfletou1 Posts: 508
    At first glance it didn't look to me the roadside assistance was different from GM. You say it is, so I'll look at it more carefully. I was speaking about GM in that post. I know firsthand that GM was take care of things like flat tires. Been there, done that!

Yes, I've heard of failing transmissions. They just simply aren't very common on vehicles that are more than 3 years and 36k old but less than 7 years old and have less than 70,000 miles on them. In fact, they are very uncommon. I certainly wouldn't
  • Has anyone installed an AutoStart system in their 2005 T&C, I am having one installed in my car this week and the guy has been back 2x. Car will not shut off unless you use the remote start fob.

Also had a back up sensor installed, what a POS. No wonder you can get these things on Ebay for under 40buck with s/h.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had these things installed or not.

Later
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Sounds very sweet!!

The program offers:

A debit card for $2,400 -- the amount of money Chrysler calculates is needed to buy 12,000 miles worth of gasoline for two years at the Chrysler group's corporate average fuel economy rate of 21.8 mpg. The plan is based on a $2.15 per gallon price of gasoline.
    Free scheduled maintenance for as many as 24,000 miles.
    A five-year, 60,000-mile full mechanical warranty, compared with the standard three-year, 36,000-mile warranty.

Excluded from the program are the 2005 and 2006 Chrysler 300; Dodge Viper, Magnum, Charger and Sprinter; and all SRT8 vehicles.

Customers can choose existing Chrysler rebates instead of the program, Murphy said. Those rebates range from $1,000 to $7,000 cash back on 2005 and 2006 models, Senior Vice President of Sales Gary Dilts said. The existing rebates are scheduled to end on Nov. 30.
  • hankehanke Posts: 1
    I have a question....we just purchased a 2005 T&C and they are telling us they don't come with headsets. Do you know something else about this? Are we able to purchase these on the side?

Thanks,
    Kristi
  • If your package includes DVD with flip down screen, then head sets and IR remote come with the car ! Its boxed seperately and just kind of in the back seat area.

Good Luck
  • What *real* value can be assigned to this program?
    What would the service and warranty cost on average?

-Kyle
  • If it's the lowerend DVD player and screen, where the DVD player is seperate from the dashboard radio area (I think it's it's in the overhead with the screen,) then I beleive they are not included.

If it's the 6 disc dvd changer in the front connected to just a screen in the back, then the headphones are included. At least that's how I read the literature when I was looking.

I'm pretty sure the Dealer installed package is of the first type. The factory package could be either I think depending on the options and the trim.

-Kyle
  • I have a 2005 Chrystler Town & Country (not any of the fancy models, just the basic model).

I like to do some basic maintenance myself such as oil and oil filter changes.

Basically I see that every other oil change I should be also changing the air conditioning filter.

What is the cheapest quality filter that I can use?

For example, I do NOT buy a Mopar oil filter and I use the Supertech oil filter sold at Wal-Mart.

Since this a/c filter needs to be changed fairly regularly, I assume that some of you should be able to quickly answer this question.

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong forum, but I couldn’t find a better place to post it.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Can I ask a question? Why are you looking to purchase the cheapest quality parts (filters) for your Van? I believe the old saying is appropriate here: "You get what you pay for". I'm not saying ALL non OEM parts are cheap, but....why risk it on such an expensive purchase?
  • Do you know how can I change the 6 DVD charger to Multiregion?
  • I have 2005 TC stow n go. About 3K miles. Getting a high pitched sqeaking noise from the midrow driver side area. Sometimes worse when driving over bumps. Sometimes will squeak even on smooth road. From the rear row, it is definitely from the driver side second row seat area. Could it be driver side sliding door? squeak from second row seat? Anyone else with this problem? Thanks
  • Good question, but please re-read my post. I am NOt looking just for the cheapest junky maintenance parts. I am looking for cheap QUALITY parts.

I have done my research and I believe that the supertech oil filter is one of the top quality filters on the market, only surpassed by the expensive filters such as Mobil 1 or K&N.

For example, in the area of oil filters, Mopar's OEM filters are really nothing special. There is no reason why you should be buying Mopar oil filter in my opinion. Most of them are Purolators or Champions anyway.

Anyway, anyone have any info on my question about AIR FILTERS?
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I think you should more accurately say you are looking for INEXPENSIVE quality parts and not cheap quality parts.
    Unfortunately, most people equate "cheap" with low quality...which is not always true. :shades:

BTW, I have all the maintenance performed on my 2002 T&C LX at the closest Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealer as long as the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty is in effect. The dealer keeps all maintenance records in their computer as an added bonus. ;)
  • chuckgchuckg Posts: 69
    My wife's 2005 GC had that same/similar squeak. I narrowed it down to the sliding door on the drivers side. It was high on the door and seemed to be coming from around the glass area. Banging on and around the glass didn't stop it. A month later I drove the van and the noise was gone.

My conclusion was that the normal opening and closing of the door sealed up that squeak. I didn't do anything else. You may want to try just opening and closing that door several times and see what happens.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    No changes that I know of. I bought a 2006 DGC SXT. The engine did not change. Haven't been able to figure out why some places list the HP as 215hp and others at 205hp. Thoughts elsewhere is that stow-n-go caused a longer exhaust pipe. But that change was made for 2005 so it should affect both years. Another thought is that it could be the new SAE HP testing procedures.

One big difference is that 2005 came with a 7/70 powertrain warranty whereas the 2006 comes only with a 3/36 bumper to bumper. One of the worst warranties in the industry. Honda added a powertrain warranty, Toyota has one. Worst warranties are Chrysler, GM, Ford (on most models).

I also have learned the hardway that despite there being practically no changes between the two model years, there are some subtle changes. The most common tow hitch for the 2005 does not fit on the 2006 because the rear A/C lines were moved slightly. Hiddenhitch et.al. are redesigning the hitch. There's a uglier hitch that is available that fits that I installed on our DGC. It works fine.

You might want to look at this, Chrysler has an extended warranty and there are more changes in the 2006. You can now get side airbags along with a moonroof on the 2006 that wasn't offered on the 2005.

http://www.chrysler.com/freedom/
  • Everything I have read on the web site (including the build your own section) indicates that the moonroof and side airbags are still not available together. Is this true?
  • susy2susy2 Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! :blush:
  • Hi everyone, first time poster here.
    I just traded my 2000 dodge gr. caravan se for a new 2006 sxt. When I asked about the overhead dvd player, my sales person told me I would be better off going to circuit city to buy one much cheaper. He quoted me for the dealer dvd an est. $1600 installed. outch. Well, needless to say, I didn't buy it. Now I am looking for one that would actually fit in the caravan. Not easy since it has the second row a/c control overhead. So, there is little space between the "trip computer" in the front and the rear a/c control, unless I would put it right in front of the a/c control, but then the kids would have a hard time looking straight up. QUESTION: Does anybody here know if there is an overhead dvd player available other than the one that comes from dodge? (I found one so far, Audiovox DT102DOPKG) Just wanted to have more options - THANKS!! <<

Funny, it's a $900 option. He probably discourage you from getting it because he didn't have any with them installed on the lot...

I don't know of any of other specific brands - but Best Buy & Circuit City always to have one on sale each week
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    I have used the DVD/dual screen setup where the screens attach to the front seat head rest supports. Each of the rear passengers get a screen which they can watch different things on. They are cheap (<$300 complete), removable so you can put them in more than one vehicle and do not block rear visibility.
  • petras2petras2 Posts: 104
    anyone buy an extended factory warranty, (as long as possible), and what did you pay? thanks