Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• The board has been quiet lately. Personally, I have not purchased a van yet but I still am very interested in a Chrysler Town & Country. I am still trying to convince my wife we should look at Chrysler as we have not owned a domestic brand a a few years. We have an Accord right now that I am very unhappy with so I am not sure we will be shopping Honda again.

So far I like the Town & Country Touring with luxury and leather group or the limited. Both are attractive and appear to be well thought out vans.

Are there any limited model owners out there (2005 and newer) that would like to share some feedback? My only gripe so far is that you have to delete side airbags to get a sunroof, which I won't do because we have babies riding with us.

Would be curious to hear from other young families who have given the T&C a try as their family vehicle.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    We have been very pleased with our '05 Touring. It will be a yr old in May and it has treated us well. For the price, it can't be beat!
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    We leased a T&C Touring (no options) a 10 days before our first child was born May 2005. Already have 12k miles. Love it. I wouldn't worry much about the side air bags in the short term as babies go in child seats w/ extra protection around them.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    I would look at the signature series if you want the best value. I have a 2005. Very satisfied. I wasnt too keen on getting a van without side airbags either. But did a little research and while the front seat driver and passenger may be sacrificing a little safety the kids in car/booster seats will be fine. The T&C has a 5 star side crash rating.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    My only gripe so far is that you have to delete side airbags to get a sunroof, which I won't do because we have babies riding with us.

I believe you can now get sunroof and side airbags. Go to site and try building, it should work.
  • Based on the on-line 2006 downloadable brochure the sunroof still deleted the side airbags. That's okay... I would like to have it but some of the other convenience items like power tailgate, etc. would make up for it. I'm sure it is something they will change on the next generation.

Sounds like folks are pretty happy with the T&C which is great to hear. I might still be in the market for an '06 model as I still like the look and features.

Now if they would only bring back Employee Pricing I would be all set!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Only 1 Caravan SXT with NO extra options, 1 GC SXT with most options, 1 T&C Touring with most options and 1 pumpkin colored Walter P. Chrysler T&C Touring. (My wife does not like multi-colored leather seats).
    Last year there were 3 times the selection from a base Caravan SE 4 cyl to a T&C Limited.
    I am disappointed that DC is deleting nice features that are on my 2002 T&C LX. :cry:
    DC minivans have the most attractive exterior styling while GM "Cross-over" vehicles are least attractive with very poor 3rd row seating and very little cargo space behind 3rd row.
    DC minivan instrument cluster is not as attractive as Sienna but DC stereo and HVAC controls are more user friendly.
    DC would be smart to not drastically change the exterior styling of THE MOST ATTRACTIVE minivan...the styling and interior changes of the Chrysler PT Cruiser have been most detrimental. :cry:
    Was this the Detroit show? I was there and saw quite a few, didn't count em though.

I really liked the Chrysler Aspen SUV (based on Durango). 5.7 HEMI, loved the interior etc........Could be my next camping vehicle :) Then there'd be no limit on the size I trailer I could tow :)~~

I'm hearing DCX is talking about a V8 for 2008 in minivans???? and 6 spd auto?

I also fell in love with the Lincoln MKX CUV......WOW!!! fantastic interior, styling but I'm afraid it's tow rating would be any better than my minivan :(
    Unfortunately it was not.
    The Salt Lake City Auto Show (in Sandy, Utah) did NOT have the Chrysler Aspen nor did I see the Lincoln MKX CUV. Not even a Dodge Caliber. :cry:
    There was a 2006 Kia Sedona, a few Dodge/Chrysler little sports cars (that I don't look at), a Chevy Nomad, a Ford Fairlane, Mazda 5, 2006 Toyota RAV4, 2007 Chevy Tahoe...I primarily looked at the 4 DC minivans, 2 Siennas, and the lone Odyssey.
    My wife and I did sit inside the Lexus RX330 just for kicks. :P
  • I have owned my T&C Touring for about 16 months now. Absolutely love it! The Stow'N Go feature is fabulous and I did splurge and get the DVD package. I love that the grown-ups can listen to the radio or CD when the kids use the earphones. Even if you only have two children, if you purchase your van with the DVD package, negotiate for two extra headphones thrown in for when friends are along. I didn't do it and wish I had. (We also have a rule that the DVD player can only be used if our trip is longer than an hour.) Mechanically the only thing that has happened is that my computer had to be reset for some reason (my entire dashboard shut down) - it did fall under warranty though, so no expense to me. Good luck and hope you enjoy.
  • I recently discovered a small hole in the back of the right middle seat on my '05 T&C. Looking closer it seemed as if there was a screw in the seat that was poking out slightly and that pressure is what caused the hole. I took it to the dealer and they had a Chrysler technician come in and do the repair; it was under warranty. The dealer has not had any other T&C owner with this problem, and just wondering if any one else has experienced this.
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    There's also a discussion about the 2008 Grand Caravan in our Future Vehicles Forum:

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

Claire

HOST

Appearance does not appear to be radically different from current design. I hope DC does NOT make a detrimental change to DC minivan interiors as they did with the 2006 PT Cruiser. :sick:
  • gregmangregman Posts: 24
    Wife bought a used '05 T&C (40k miles) from Chrysler dealership. Noticed drips underneath in the mornings. Dealership said it was okay, just "overflow". She said bull, that's trans fluid.
    After repair by dealer, they said it was a bad seal in trans. Upon reading the ticket it says they replaced the front pump! Isn't that the torque converter?
    The salesman swore up and down before the purchase that DCX
    had resolved all the old problems with T&C transmissions. Can anybody relate to this problem?
    P.S.-This 5 Star dealership also tried to hand her a $600 bill for a warranty repair!
    Was the 2005 T&C originally a rental or lease vehicle? If so, the original factory warranty was only 3 years or 36,000 miles - whichever came first.
    Buyer beware when purchasing a used vehicle. :blush:
  • rrc1rrc1 Posts: 5
    I bought a new 2005 Grand Caravan with sto-and-go seats two weeks ago. I have had it back to the dealer twice because of an almost constant vibration that runs through the steering wheel and drivers seat. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular speed and is even evident when the car is still and idling. It is most noticible when driving at a constant speed on the highway or coasting. This vibration is making me feel nauseated each time I drive the car and I never get motion/car sick. People at dealership can't feel what I'm describing. Every bump on the road seem to be amplified in this van. I don't understand why this is the case, when most of the reviews on the Grand Caravan rave about the smooth quiet ride. This is very disappointing as I have owned two Caravans in the past and have really like these vans. Any ideas as to what may be causing this vibration? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Never heard of such a thing. Was it there when you test drove it 2 weeks ago??? When did it start?
  • rrc1rrc1 Posts: 5
    I didn't test drive the van before I bought it. The weather was very bad that week and I didn't see the point. I had a 2002 Caravan on lease for four years and owned 1996 Caravan prior to that and never had a problem with vibration or ride in those vans. As this is a brand new vehicle, I didn't think it was necessary to test drive it--my mistake. If it had been a used van, I would have taken it for a test drive first. Also I had driven a Grand Caravan for 1 week as a rental when my leased Van was in for repairs and never noticed any thing similar to what is happening with this van.

I noticed some vibration when I first drove it home from the dealership, but thought is was due to the poor road and weather conditions. When I drove the van to work the following Monday on the highway, I really noticed the vibration that comes through the steering wheel, seat and brake pedal. It is like a pulsing sensation that runs up your arms and leg and across your back and chest. It is really strange and difficult to describe. I have never been in a vehicle that has done this before. It seems to get more intense with speed and more annoying the longer you are in the van. The man from servicing said it was just the harmonics of the vehicle. I have never had a car make me feel sick before (either as the driver or the passenger)and I have been driving for 30 years.

I found four other posts on line from 2005 Grand Caravan owners complaining of vibrations described as follows:

"When you accelerate it feels like you are on driving on gravel"

"there is a troubling vibration (it can be heard & felt when trany is in overdrive going 45-50 mph"

"The engine produces vibration that can be felt in the gas pedal"

"I got a bad vibration in the steering wheel/seat that is worse when idling"

These complaints sound like they may be the same thing I'm experiencing.

I'm going to ask the dealership to let me test drive another van of the same model to see if there is any difference. I don't think I'm imagining this problem, but I have no idea what could be causing it. I don't think it is the tires or steering as the vibration can be felt when the car is not moving. I'm hoping it goes away because otherwise I really like the van, but I don't want to drive a vehicle that makes me feel nauseated all the time. :cry:
  • gctonygctony Posts: 7
    Hi
    Has anyone purchased the 2nd row bins for Stow-n-Go?
    Comments? Seems like alot of $$ for them, the carpeted factory area seems fine..?
    Also has anyone purchased additonal overhead bins for the rail system? I think 2 more would be cool...

Also has anyone heard of a snake light for the overhead rails??

Overall this mini van rocks and is most excellent! Like others have said, should have gotten one long ago...I still dont understand the 'stigma' with them, people snicker when I tell them about it. But it is FAR more versatile than any of their vehicles.
    Stow-n-Go Rocks!

Tony