Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I bought a NEW 2006 Sienna LE and do not like it as well as my 2002 T&C LX. I could have purchased a 2006 GC SXT for about $ 4,000 LESS than I paid for my 2006 Sienna LE or $ 7,000 less than a 2006 Ody EX (cloth). :cry:
    The uncomfortable driver's seat was my only complaint about my 2002 T&C LX.
    The 2006 Sienna LE driver's seat is very comfortable but other than the comfortable driver's seat, more attractive interior and 5 speed AT of Sienna and Odyssey, the T&C or GC are much nicer overall than the Sienna or Odyssey.
    BTW, the DC minivan front seats with separate head rest have always been more comfortable for me than the seats without the adjustable headrest. ALL DC minivans now have the more comfortable seat than my 02 T&C has.
  • lyplyp Posts: 2
    Tonight I pulled into the driveway and started to get out of the van when I noticed a warning bell going off. Just like when you leave the keys in the ignition and open the door. I had the kry out of the ignition, the headlights were off and this warning bell keeps going off until I close the drivers door.

It has never done this before so I pulled the manual out and for the life of me I can't find anything in it about this warning. There are no warning lights on in the dash?????

I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?
  • couggolfcouggolf Posts: 1
    We're looking at buying a 2006 DGC STX with powerlift gate, 6 cd/dvd, and DVD system. MSRP is 30,135. Can get it for 23,000 with cash back, CF financing. Is this a good deal? Should we wait? Any recommendations, advice would be appreciated. Will there be a better time this year to buy a new STX? Thank you.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    $7k off MSRP is pretty good. I think incentives will go up by summer, but selection may be lower. If this one has everythign you want, I'd go for it.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Did you have either side door (the sliding door) open at the time?
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm sure it's something stupid. Do any of you know what this means?

If you leave your headlights on without keys in ignition you get warning bells. Maybe this is it?
    I'd say that's excellent too!! The only other thing you could get off it, is employee pricing IF you would know a DCX employee. I'd say go for it too!
  • lyplyp Posts: 2
    My wife figured it out....duh

It was chiming because the interior light was left on. I feel like a Dumb @SS. :blush:
    thank god though, that unlike Hondas, DCX minivans have a battery saving circuit that keeps you from totally draining your battery!!
  • mchiversmchivers Posts: 2
    Bought a brand new 2005 Grand Caravan and took it in for some recall work. It has less than 17,000 miles and the dealer's mechanic tells me that the front and rear brakes are at 25 and 35% respectively. I've read other reviews that also list brake issues. Haven't heard about a recall YET.
  • mchiversmchivers Posts: 2
    We took our Grand Caravan in for some recall work on heater hoses and the Dealer's mechanic told us our brakes are at about 30% & need replacing. We have less than 18k miles and mild driving conditions. The mechanic also blamed our driving but we had a used '96 caravan we bought with 50,000 miles and put more than 100,000 more on it with no brake issues. It's not your wife.
  • dkuklisdkuklis Posts: 2
    I've got a '97 Chrysler T&C mini van. Within the first 10 miles when the engine is cold the van will loose power then immediately catch back on. Sometimes the tach will show a dip in RPM. If this happens while stopped the car will stall. It happens at any speed. Electic is not effected. I've had the trans rebuilt, some kind of emissions valve or sensor replaced and the throttle body cleaned. Ideas? :confuse:
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    The fronts I can believe, but only 35% left on the rear is hard to believe. When I purchased my 2001 with 24,000 miles the front pads were worn almost to the metal. I replaced the pads myself, now has 52,000 miles and the pads have 75% left on them. The original rear shoes also have about the same. I think in my case, the change in drivers is why my front pads have so much life left in them despite being driven 28,000 miles.
    My 2002 T&C LX has NOT needed any disc pad replacement as of 34,390 miles. My daughter has a 1999 GC SE that did NOT need front disc pads or rear drum shoes replaced until about 55,000 miles.
    Based on this experience, I think Grand Caravan / T&C brakes last as long as any brand. ;)
  • dcotedcote Posts: 1
    Is adding a tow package to a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan difficult? Any advise as to towing capasity for tent trailer and full van?
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I had an Eagle Vision that did that. They replaced the battery, fuel pump and computer. It wound up being a lose wire going into the fuse box.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I have an '05 SXT with 31,000 miles on it (bought 4/04). We are on our 3rd PAIR of front rotors, 3rd pair of front brake pads, and 2nd pair of rear brake pads. In addition to that, we have had it in for service for the following:

Slow moving driver's power window (3 times).
    Driver's window fell off track
    Wiring harness in side door pinched, causing power door not to work.
    Two bad spark plugs and plug wires.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed with this vehicle. The service manager says that the brakes normally wear out quickly because it is a "heavy-duty" vehicle. Bull!

I think after the first set wore out that fast, I would have gotten ceramic pads and after market rotors.

I have a 2005 DGC. Bought it 17 months ago and so far, haven't had to do anything but change the oil and rotate the tires. I couldn't be happier.
    I have a 2005 DGC. Bought it 17 months ago and so far, haven't had to do anything but change the oil and rotate the tires. I couldn't be happier

My power window on the passenger side just "acted up", it wouldn't go up at one time, it'd go so far, stop, then continue seconds later. Of course this has only done it once and when I had it back to dealer for recall on heater clamps, they found nothing wrong.

Other than those two things, I'm very pleased with my van. I'm getting about 23mpg in suburban driving.
  • genetuckgenetuck Posts: 11
    Dennisctc wrote: "I'm getting about 23mpg in suburban driving"

Recently the oil companies started putting 10% ethanol into gasoline. On the first tank I used my gas mileage dropped from 22 mpg to 20 mpg. That sounds about right, as ethanol doesn't have as much energy as gasoline.