Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan 2005+

1626364656668»

Comments

• Having same problem with my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan - shudder in the transmission. It happens about 1500 to 2000 RPM when in 4th gear, slow acceleration. Goes away with increasing gas and RPM...

Told to put in additive called Shudder Guard
  • There is a sliding door below the passenger side dash which houses the filter element on a 2006 T&C
  • I am having the same problem with my 2007 w/70k. I had the trans flushed about 8 months ago by a discount company. Took it to a local dealer and they found the fluid was dirty and the trany was bucking bad w/ two codes (fluid dirty, torque conv):sick: . Flushed the tranny and test drove it. The van gave a code for the torque conv. they found the fluid burned up again after the test drive. They are changing the torque conv now. they are going to flush it again and reprogram the computer.

The discount location probably serviced the wrong type of tranny fluid. I have heard of other people having the same problem after a bad service job. You get what you pay for. :(
  • wwlwwl Posts: 2
    I just acquired a 2005 dodge caravan with 110000 miles. when applying the brakes there is a very rough, almost like a flat tire, pulsating in the steering and the brake pedal. any idea the cause, or how to fix it?

Thanks
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    That would be consistent with "warped" front brake rotors.

When were the brakes last serviced?
  • wwlwwl Posts: 2
    Thanks srs 49

I have no idea when the brakes were serviced last
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I have an 05 Grand Caravan with about 110k miles on it and it's starting to make a groaning noise that I can hear in steering system. It's intermittent right now and does not happen all the time, but when it does it's very noticeable. Could my steering gear be on it's way out? Has anyone run into this problem before?
  • tsu670tsu670 Posts: 289
    Does it make the sound mostly on turns? Might be a front wheel bearing that needs replacing.
  • The power steering works on hydraulics. It is unlikely that the gear is bad. Have you checked the fluid level in your power steering? A quick check is to over turn your wheels and then slowly move forward, does it make the sound then?
    That's my guess too - the power steering fluid. The ps pumps will make noise, due to cavitation, if they get some air in them. Remove the ps fluid reservoir, clean it out, and add fresh fluid. May want to run some new fluid through the pump itself.
    My reservoir is full, but I'll go ahead and have it flushed out and put in new fluid as it is 8 years old. Thanks guys
    i think the pump can still cavitate, even with a full reservoir, if, for instance, the screen isf clogged and preventing fluid from flowing down to the pump.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Same problem on a 2007 GC, read many other posts that the power steering reservoir screen can get clogged (very hard to tell by looking at it), and this causes the cavitation that others spoke of. Easy fix. Buy a new reservoir on eBay for less than $25 including shipping. Not too difficult to pull off the old one - good videos (). Once I replaced the reservoir, and filled the new one with fresh power steering fluid oil, I've not heard a sound from my ps in 6 months.
    Thanks for the info. I had the power steering fluid flushed a few weeks ago and have not heard the noise since.