Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2015 Nissan Murano Long-Term Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2015 in Nissan
2015 Nissan Murano: On Demand Cam

The on-demand cam in our 2015 Nissan Murano is a personal favorite creature comfort. I'm surprised more automakers don't offer it. There's not much to it really, but it beats the standard rearview cam that only comes on when you engage reverse. That's because Nissan's Around View Monitor is more than a basic rearview cam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    So how well do the cameras work at night, specifically on the sides? Is there a "night vision" IR or Thermal setting on them? I think the reason that most companies don't offer this, besides increased cost, is because the NHTSB is pretty stubborn about how you can't use cameras and displays to replace mirrors.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Just commenting in all posts to say good bye to my Edmunds friends. I will not visit this or any site that demands that I view intrusive ads. I understand the need to pay bills but having so many ads to the point that the computer slows down and the ads load before the web page is too much.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

Just commenting in all posts to say good bye to my Edmunds friends. I will not visit this or any site that demands that I view intrusive ads. I understand the need to pay bills but having so many ads to the point that the computer slows down and the ads load before the web page is too much.

Interestingly I don't see these intrusive ads. I'm using Chrome.
  • Options
    daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The only thing close to a "pop-up" I get is that slightly annoying "alert" icon in the top right corner of the screen that always says there's a price drop in my area on some vehicle. I don't have a problem with @allthingshonda . Most of his posts I either agree with or can understand. He doesn't ever seem to try to cause problems. But if the site bothers him, it bothers him.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    I really wish these surround view cameras would be standard equipment on more cars. They really do make backing up and parking a breeze. Sometimes you just want that extra assurance you're not going to curb your nice rims, or you want to make sure you're perfectly straight in the parking stall.
  • Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

I've seen a few people comment on the pop-up asking to remove any ad-blockers before viewing the page. Myself, I'm using Chrome with AdBlock and haven't ever had an issue or been asked to turn off the ad blocker.

The Edmunds team and the larger web community need to find a solution to this. Websites like this Edmunds blog are often ad supported, and having fewer eyeballs on the ads due to adblockers mean reduced income to Edmunds. If this trend continues, there will be no more blog to read. At the same time, advertisers need to be responsible and not be so intrusive into the user's experience. Users/Readers need to be respected. Show us meaningful ads and we will respond to them. Show us "hit you over the head" ads and we will avoid them even if it means abandoning the website/blog.
  • Options
    miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    I'm still getting the pop-up saying to turn off Adblock, despite it being turned off (I'm also using Chrome). I've been forced to use Adblock to block the pop-up to use this site. Kind of dumb.

I also turned Ghostery on for this website...I think it hit a record with 36 trackers on this website. No thanks.

Most websites I visit I disable Adblock so the website can make a buck. I only turn it on for those websites that have intrusive ads. When I open a newspaper I don't have to look at a video or pop-up in front of the text. The ads are unobtrusive and off to the side. Why can't websites be the same?
  • Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I'm using Epic Browser (look it up!), and I get none of these annoyances. I support Edmunds by recommending it to friends, sharing links to stories, etc.
  • Options
    marmotkingmarmotking Member Posts: 42
    In the department of redundancy department, I've got AdBlock Pro AND AdBlock Plus running in Chrome (there's probably some arcane reason this is a bad idea) and never seen any pop-up requesting me to turn them off. The site loads normally. I tried disabling them once and quickly reversed course, Edmunds is exceptionally cluttered. I've got quite a few sites whitelisted, not this one. Also using the Flashcontrol extension, as autoplay videos fill me with blind rage, well they would have thirty years ago - now they just generate mild expletives.

On topic, Nissan seems to be the clear leader in the car camera front. It's offered in all Nissan cars, even the Versa, right? My elderly mom is still a competent enough driver that I'm perfectly comfortable as a passenger in her aging minivan, until she turns in to a tight parking lot. Talk about low-speed white knuckles! The Around View Monitor, and a Nissan to go with, may be in her future.
  • Options
    iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

I've seen a few people comment on the pop-up asking to remove any ad-blockers before viewing the page. Myself, I'm using Chrome with AdBlock and haven't ever had an issue or been asked to turn off the ad blocker.

So of course I came to edmunds.com today and was greeted by a large banner insisting that I disable my ad blocker before continuing. Isn't that unfortunate... I must say it is a pretty terrible user experience. That being said, I was able to change the settings in AdBlock to allow adds for the edmunds.com domain. I do like the Edmunds long term blog enough to tolerate ads, so I guess the advertisers have won this battle. We'll see how it goes in the long run...