Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - III

Comments

• laynerdlaynerd Member Posts: 4
    For those of you considering a Tundra as compared to a full size truck (F150 or Silverado), use a tape measure and ignore the brochures and dealer bull to determine if the Tundra is truly a full size truck. For example, roll the Tundra's left and right glass down a couple inches and measure the inside width. Do the same on an F150 and Silverado and you will quickly learn what a full size truck is. The Tundra is 14 inches narrower (55" versus 69")than a 1994 Silverado and 12 inches narrower (55" versus 67")than a Y2K F150.

Next, measure the length of the cargo bed. I have trouble understanding how a truck 12 to 14 inches narrower and approximately six inches shorter can weigh about the same as an F150 or Silverado (4,600 pounds curb weight).

I will say that the 4.7L Tundra has lot's of power. I would; however, like to hitch a 7,200 pound trailer (per manufacturer's specifications)behind the Tundra and see how many miles it can tow it without breaking down. I already know what a silverado will tow!

For those looking for a "Toy", buy the Tundra in lieu of the F150 or Silverado 1500.
  • doyaguedoyague Member Posts: 4
    First of all, thanks Mike for your input on the bedliner issue. I think I'll wait and get an after-market bedliner.

I do have a question for you and other SouthEast Toyota owners. I live in NEMetro-Atlanta. I want an SR5 with 60/40 seat including the 5 spoke alloy with Michelin tires. According to a dealer in GA, SEToyota Dist. applies their own alloy set -- Enkie, which is a 6 spoke alloy and with Michelin tires, the invoice price is $917. The 5 spoke is only offered with a leather & captain seats pkg. What kind of feedback have you received? I just want a good set of wheels and tires, which the Enkie wheels look nice, but at $917 list, it's too much.
  • justdrive1justdrive1 Member Posts: 8
    Toyota's own commercials ask if they went too far, or have the others not gone far enough? Who do they think they're kidding? No 5-speed with the V8. The V6 is underpowered. No leather option. No chrome wheel option. No diesel option. Tundra is a nice second effort (after the T100). Maybe Toyota's third try will hit the bullseye.
  • powercatpowercat Member Posts: 96
    Why does it bother you so much how big the Tundra is or how much it can tow? Let me answer, it hits a nerve! It's about time someone gave the big 3 junkers some competition. As for towing, several weeks ago I towed almost 6500 lbs. of landscaping limestone for over two hours and almost forgot I was towing anything.
    Why don't you tell me about all the Chevy pickups and Suburbans that can't handle the tow and spray transmission fluid all over the engines and start fires. GM's answer to that is to clamp down the tranny dipstick. Or about my friend that bought a new 99 Silverado and has gone through three transmissions already, he's selling it and buying a Tundra.
    Drive what you like, trash the Tundra if you must, talk is cheap, facts speak for themselves. The Tundra is only the beginning, get used to it.
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    laynerd:

Some of us like the fact that the Tundra is not as big as the so-called 'full size' trucks. Having owned GM products in the past, I can say that they are pure junk and never would own another.

justdrive1:

Drop by a Toyota dealer an pickup a Tundra brochure. They do offer leather seating. Get your facts straight.
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    To the misinformed who can't read a tape measure:

There is less than two inches in width difference between the Tundra and Chevy.

Even if you compared the Tacoma to the Silverado there would be less than 14 inches in difference.
  • mikemillermikemiller Member Posts: 71
    Hi doyaue. I lived in Atlanta for 8 years (moved back home to NC last year) and was just in Atlanta (well Marietta) last Wednesday. The Atlanta area Toyota dealers are not my favorite people. I bought my 92 pickup at Atlanta Toyota and my 4Runner from Cobb Toyota. I used to get them both serviced at Marietta Toyota. They'll tell you anything to up sell you. My local dealer here in NC has the 5 spoke alloys on many different Model grades and options. I have them on my LTD. You should come up my way to Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville (about 3 hrs away). Check out http://www.jbarkleytoyota.com to see what I mean (their page was down as of this writing). They are a no haggle, no pressure dealer that is typically $700-$800 over invoice. You can check out their inventory and prices on line. They are nice folks. I was just there today getting my 5000 mile service done. No, I don't work for them in any way. But, after dealing with the Atlanta dealers I sure appreciate a good dealer when I see one.
    Oh, by the way, I got the spray on liner for my pickup at RhinoLiner of Marietta off of 41 just past where 41 intersects the N. Loop.
    I love seeing the Chevy guys get stirred up. I pretty much ignore what they say (especially after a certain one made everyone blue). But it is interesting. The more they get upset the more proof we have that the Tundra is viewed as a threat by them. I have never felt the need to go the Silverado topic and say anything. What do I care about what they do. They must really be irked (or maybe afraid?) about the Tundra to keep coming over to this topic. The Tundra sure has stirred up the old truck world. Cool :).
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    Haven't tried my Tundra with 7200 lbs yet because it's not broken in but did tow 4700 lbs. with my V6 T100 360 miles to Lake Meade and back in 110-135 degree weather up 5-8 degree interstate grades with the AC on. I had to downshift to third to maintain 45-50 on the really steep grades but the V6 hung with the other big 3 trucks and I got 13 mpg +! I believe that trip's called a torture test. My V6 T100 never failed or ran poorly, the temp gauge never budged and I never turned the AC off, although all the highway signs say you should. Passed a LOT of big 3 trucks sitting by the side of the road overheating, etc, including my friend's Z71 which developed a problem almost every trip. Try LA to Meade through the CA, NV, AZ desert in the summer sometime. You'll see what I'm talking about.
  • dogsterdogster Member Posts: 94
    The TRD option adds the Bilstein shocks, progressive rate springs (instead of constant rate), fender flares, BF Goodrich All Terrain 265-70R-16 tires on the 5 spoke alloys and fog lamps.
  • pchengpcheng Member Posts: 162
    Okay, I thought I wasn't going to get into this, but I just have to add my two cents.

The reality is there is no governing body that classify one truck to another. The real test of classification is the manufacturers (especially the competition).

If the Tundra is not full sized, then why did the Chevy commercial I saw last night compared the Silverado to the Tundra? I didn't see the Dodge Dakota on the screen.

Face it, what ever we can post here the only classification that matters are those set by the manufacturer's as who they consider as a threat to their products.

Subaru can say all it wants about being a SUV, but until the 4Runner, or Pathfinder sees the Outback as a threat to their market share, the Outback is still a small station wagon to me.
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    My Tundra Access cab is as full size as I can handle...my garage is only 18" longer than the truck!! Couldn't fit a bigger one.
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    Were you measuring in metric part of the time? (see #53 & #54...it's always better posted twice)

Take a gander:

http://www.uregina.ca/av/Sidebyside.jpg

Hey, the Tundra is not as wide - but 14 inches - give me a break...give your head a shake...hey, that rhymes!

Where do they come from???
  • cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    Is the Toyota RS-3000 alarm manufactured by someone other than Toyota? If so, does anyone know who makes it?
  • atoyotatoyot Member Posts: 58
    Hey, thanks for the pic. It is neat to see them side by side. I like how smooth the underside is on the Tundra compared to the Chevy. Kinda neat the the mirrors are the same level too. Would be really neat to see side by side shots of all four of the full sized trucks. Any body able to get do that???
  • jyarnoldjyarnold Member Posts: 50
    If we all bought trucks only based on how big they were than the Big 3 wouldn't have any competition. Personally I would have opted for a Tacoma over the Tundra if it were equipped similarly in terms of power and off-road worthiness. Let the idiots hit the dealers with a measuring tape and a scale, us Tundra owners are into quality not quantity where Trucks are concerned and probably just about everywhere else!
  • johnw4johnw4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a Tundra LTD Access Cab with TRD and know that the LTD comes with color coded fender flares. When TRD is added does the truck come with Black fender flares? I don't particularly care for the color coded fender flares.

BTW - been watching this site for a long time and have received some really good input. A collective thanks for all your help!!
    Nope; TRD does not change the Fender Flares on the LTD to Black. They will still be color coded.
  • doyaguedoyague Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply Mike. I'm located in the Gwinnett area and the dealer I'm talking to is located in Bulldog country -- Athens (for you non-natives). I agree with you, the dealers in the metro area suck! I've been able to get a good 1st quote from Athens. Oh, and they're willing to deliver at my house. I've checked Jim Barkley in Ashville. The only problem I have is comparing invoice to msrp on how they bundled some things. I'll request a quote from them and make a valid comparison. Anyway, the Athens dealer still states that the alloys are a distributor thing. I'll do some more homework.

I loved your story on the bear cage... Seems like you've got a great place to go hog hunting.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Putting the Tundra next to the Silverado online was a nice trick. I will have to learn how to do that someday. I have parked my 4x4 Silverado next to a Trundra and thought it looked wider but according to Edmunds the Tundra is .8" wider, I thought Toyota was measuring from drivers to passengers outside mirrors.

Atoyot - The smooth underside of the Tundra does look good, but where is the rear differential?
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    ???! Edmunds has the chevy as being wider. BTW, since no one has posted it, I'll crawl under my Tundra tommorow and get that diff to ground measurement your asking for.
  • gtc2gtc2 Member Posts: 5
    Need your input guys. I'm ready to buy. I read all the posts here and obviously I want to avoid the vibration problem that some have complained about. I drove the truck I was going to put my money on last night[sr5 v8 acc. cab 4x4]. It didn't feel as right as the one I test drove last week. Dealer said thats because it had'nt been preped yet,tire pressure,etc .I backed out of the deal. Is there vin# I should avoid,are the dunlops crappy,or is it in my head [when I took my first test drive 2 weeks ago I wasn't aware of any problems until I read about them here]. Anybody have one who would have done anything different during there buying process. I sold my Tacoma [great truck] and the guy wants it next week so I'm getting down to do it time. Thanks for all and any help
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Well the owners of Tundra's & the new Silverado should both be happy, you have the best of both worlds. I was told by a General manager for Toyota that Toyota went to GM for help on designing the new Tundra. GM Helped with the frame and new truck engineering....! The Toyota people said we know cars quite well, but boy does GM know trucks. Now if they'd get GM help on the interior we could all live happily ever after.

PS, I own a 99 Silverado because of all the accessories the GM had over the Tundra. The Tundra was more than I expected but the car like interior and way the dash and back seat were laid out was not as appealing as the GM.

Lets face it if we all liked and bought the same thing there would only be 1 manufacture for everything.

When I test drove the Tundra I noticed the vibration everyone is discussion between 50 and 65 mph to me it felt more like a front wheel alignment and balance problem. On fuel mileage I was quite surprised to see how poor the Tundra V8 is getting. With the GM 5.3 I average 15.3 in town and have gotten as high as 22.4 MPG on the road with a average road mileage running around 19.2. I consider this excellent for a V8 4WD and was quite surprised the lower cube Toyota was so much lower.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I just returned from a hunting trip and am trying to catch up. While I agree that bed liners can do more damage than good, I am skeptical of the spray on liners. The entire bed must be scuffed first and that makes me nervous. I put a tailgate cover and a bed mat in mine.

Do not buy the Toyota tonneau cover. I sell Toyotas but I wont let my customers buy that option. It will buckle at the first snow fall. Life expectancy is under two years. Avoid that option. If you need to cover the bed, spend the extra money and get a hard cover with the lifts.
    GTC2--I may be of some assistance. If you let me know what part of the country you live in and what model interests you, I may be able to direct you to a dealership with the truck you want. Contact me at sclifford@dsdial.net.
    My personal Tundra came in this week. I sell these things but I have been like a kid at Christmas waiting for my truck to arrive. It is a white Limited 4X4 with leather, ABS, 6 disc CD, running boards and off road package. I drove it home last night and was overwhelmed with how nice this beast is. I don't know how those Chevy guys can even think they have a better truck. They obviously have not driven a Tundra.
    Bob259; You actually believed that general manager about Toyota seeking help from GM on Truck building? Does anyone else believe this? Toyota has been building trucks since 1964 for the American market and has won many of the off-road competitions. They don’t need GM except for maybe examples of what NOT to do. While I got warm and fuzzy reading your post it ranked of total BS. First of all the only way you can get 22.4 mpg on your Silverado is if you don't know how to divide or if you added in all those miles your Chevy needed a tow! Second, why would GM help Toyota? Why would Toyota seek help from GM? That’s as ridiculous as Microsoft getting help from Netscape. Third, Everyone is NOT discussing vibration; a few poor souls have eluded to it but have been advised as to how to solve it while MOST Tundra owners attest to NO vibration. Forth, Why are you here? I'll bet every time you see one of us Tundras on the road you scroll thru this discussion looking for relief. Keep believing you got the best of both worlds. I test drove the Silverado and all it took was one pothole to hear everything jiggle – read sketchy build quality. Good luck on that one now!
  • lexmarklexmark Member Posts: 68
    Bob259, did Toyota need help designing 4 doors? No, I guess GM hasn't got that little detail down yet.(They are still trying to figure out how to get their third door to shut properly) Maybe Toyota went to Dodge for help with the Tundra's 4 door cab. And maybe Ford helped out with the exterior styling - it is somewhat similar.

So who helped with the sweet engine, drivetrain and chasis? Ooo, got you stumped that time, huh.

Closest truck to my old Yamaha FJ1200 that I've ever driven!
    Actually, Toyota and GM have worked together for years and jointly run the factory in Freemont California. GM also makes the radiators for many Toyota products. Toyota did not get any advice from GM on the Tundra especially on the frame. GM uses frame rails that come in multiple sections and are riveted and welded into place. Toyota is the only full size truck to use one piece frame rails which make for a much stiffer and stronger frame. Drive any of the domestics over uneven bumps and you will see the alignment of the cab and bed shift noticeably. The Tundra doesn't. That is one of the secrets to the Tundra ride comfort.
    Wow.... Try and write a nice append and get this BS back. Why don't you save your sarcasm for someone who really hates the Tundra. If this is how the people that drive Tundra's act maybe driving a Domestic isn't that bad.

At the sake of boring everyone else,
    Fact, Fiction who knows , but I would assume a General Manager for Toyota would have nothing to gain by telling a lie, especially one like this.

Cliffy1, Yes the GM frame is three piece and the Tundra's is one, and that is exactly what the GM said, Toyota wanted a one piece frame not the three piece and it was for stiffness, but I guess that's not true because he said it.. right (sorry cliffy1 I forgot you were civil in your response).

If any of you are so foolish to believe the two companies that have jointly worked together for as many years as GM and Toyota has, which cliffy1 pointed out, do not share engineering group activities and ideas you probably believe Clinton didn't inhale and Monica was at fault.

PS... I don't recall anywhere that it says you can only read the article/forum and it's only for what you drive. As an enthusiast I like them all cars, trucks, whatever and It's still a free country so I'll read whatever forum, share my thoughts, in a non malicious manner, and drive whatever vehicle I want.

Some how I expected more from this group.
    Oh by the way... It's not only me that has been getting the good fuel mileage with the 5.3 I know of several people that are. Sarcasm On: I won't get into a gas mileage discussion because I'm sure it is way over jyarnold's head. (Sorry had to do it...)
  • atoyotatoyot Member Posts: 58
    Z71Bill - The rear differential is in the rear of the truck and therefor you can't see it at that angle. Beats me why it doesn't show on the picture, maybe it was digitally edited just to give that illusion, or maybe its under a skid plate??? I don't know, but will soon when I check it out for myself. The picture looked pretty straight forward to me as both trucks looked equal distance away from the camera and the picture was taken directly in the middle of the two trucks. Don't know how you could fake it unless someone painted the differential just for that shot, then again it could be some sort of alien tech or something like that. Can't trust them aliens.
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    I've placed my order on a Tundra SR5 4wd access cab, and I felt that this was the best choice for me (i.e towing boat, bed to place dirty stuff and to occasionally haul the motorcycle, a little smaller and more manueverable). I looked at all manufacturers except Dodge since I think they are somewhat behind in the engineering of their small block V8's.
    I read your post #80 in response to bob259 and I think you were childish, insulting, and defensive with your reply. Bob259 was somewhat complimentary and modest with his statements and I think that you essentially called him either a liar or a dummy in regards to the fuel mileage issue. Furthermore, bob259 has as much right to post in this forum as any other and I welcome his comments, thusfar, as being overall unbiased.
    The Silverado/Sierra pair do have several features and options that the Tundra does not offer. To list a few: different drive ratios, limited slip and locking rear differentials, lever activated 4x4, more rear seat room, far more aftermarket accessories, passenger power seat, rear window defroster, more power in the 5.3 and 6.0 liter engines, transmission towing mode, chain driven cams, etc. The GM products are fine vehicles, but my spouse will be driving my truck on occasion and even towing with it, and she feels decidedly more comfortable in the Tundra. I also believe that ultimately Toyota quality will be somewhat better. By my experience, the Tundra was smooter, quieter, faster, and more refined in terms of ergonomics.
    Finally, ending your post with the statement "Good luck on that one now!" seemed like a reference to rubluetoo that used to post here. Poor taste.
    Try being more civil to others for a change. By the way, try using your spellchecker (eluded, Forth). If you're going to flame somebody at least spell all of your words correctly.
    I have to agree that you are not as malicious and rude as some other GM owners. People in this topic are extra sensitive to "bashers", especially those telling lies. A certain person who is now banned really stirred it up here a few weeks ago. You may have been mistaken for one of those. As a member of this group, I welcome your comments.
    Just curious here Bob, where did you hear that Toyota engineers consulted with GM in creating the Tundra? Was it based solely on a discussion with a General Manager at a Chevy/Toyota store? I know several GMs and they are not necessarily the best sources for insider info. Now if you want to find out who serves the best Martinis at a NADA conference, you have the right guys.

I'm not saying the guy was wrong, but it would surprise me. I have spoken to several Toyota engineers and there was never any mention of consultations with any of the domestic builders. They did brag about extensive use of focus groups with truck owners and they obviously listened to what they heard. I'll ask my factory rep next time I see him.
    cliffy1, It was a Toyota Store GM that is a friend of mine that shared that with me. No reason for him to lie, he said he heard it from the Toyota folks at one of the meetings he attended for the announcement. We both thought it was quite impressive to show that Toyota went out of their own shop to get all the input they could to make the best truck in its class. It says a lot about a company when they admit that they may not have all the best ideas and answers so lets pool our collective resources and then make the best decision from what we find out. I think this is why we are seeing the Big 3 and all the others in the world acquire so many different companies.

Think about it, how many times have we said to ourselves, on more than just automobiles, Gee if I could just take all the best features from each of these things an make one with all I really want.

I'm sure they are saying the same and are not ashamed to say, hey here's what we did to try and come up with the BEST. If true, they should be applauded and we will all be served better in the future from it.
    I like my Tundra, but can't figure out why they didn't add a few inches to overall length to gain a larger back seat. The Tundra is a relatively short truck. The only reason I can imagine is that it may hurt off-road performance for obvious reasons.

You mention extensive "discussion groups" to build a desirable truck. The market is obviously heading in the "bigger back seat" direction.

Unfortunately it would take a major redesign to fix the problem.
    cliffy1, It was a Toyota Store GM that is a friend of mine that shared that with me. No reason for him to lie, he said he heard it from the Toyota folks at one of the meetings he attended for the announcement. We both thought it was quite impressive to show that Toyota went out of their own shop to get all the input they could to make the best truck in its class. It says a lot about a company when they admit that they may not have all the best ideas and answers so lets pool our collective resources and then make the best decision from what we find out. I think this is why we are seeing the Big 3 and all the others in the world acquire so many different companies.

Think about it, how many times have we said to ourselves, on more than just automobiles, Gee if I could just take all the best features from each of these things an make one with all I really want.

I'm sure they are saying the same and are not ashamed to say, hey here's what we did to try and come up with the BEST. If true, they should be applauded and we will all be served better in the future from it.
    artp and lexmark--I agree with you on the rear seat room. I have not heard anything about improvements or retrofits. I have sat in the back of the big 3 and Chevy is the best but Ford and Dodge are only slightly if any better than the Tundra.

Bob--I wont challenge what your friend told you and I agree that I see no reason for him to lie. The information I have comes from 2 Toyota engineers and I just spoke to my factory rep. All were unanimous that GM had no part in the design of the Tundra.

I would never argue that the perfect truck exists from any company. I really believe that the Tundra does more things better than any truck currently available. There is always room for improvement and Toyota got it better than the rest. Yes, I sell them but I also own them and I wouldn't do either if I didn't believe that.
    BOB259: I did get carried away, it's just that I look to these discussions for useful information about the Tundra but no reason to get ugly right? I also find it curious that so many Chevy owners frequent this page even after they have apparently made their decision. Just the same, you do make some valid points and I was before my morning coffee hence I’m sorry for having offending thee in any way and I hope your Silverado serves you well.

606ZPX Give your sermon to someone who cares, do you think you could have been a little more long winded? GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHHH And then you have the audacity to comment on my taste!

PS I don’t use a spell checker, that was a grammatical error, get bent.
  • kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    I don't remember who mentioned it, but spray in liners do not require the bed to be scuffed. I just had a Line-X liner put in my truck and they did not scuff any of the bed, tailgate, nor the rails. I watched them during the whole process, from masking off the truck to actually spraying it. Maybe other companies require the bed to be scuffed, but not Line-X. I looked at several other brands, but line-x was definately more solid and less gobby looking.
    Thanks for the info. I was the one who mentioned the scuffing and I am positive that most require this. I am glad to hear that there is one that does not. I even watched an infomercial on a do it yourself version of this which included the sanding pads. I may look into Line-X for mine.
    Take it easy jyarnold. I admit that my response was not exactly brief or mature. It just seems that I and, it seems, others are very sensitive about GM owners in particular posting in this forum. Needless to say, our "blue" friend didn't help. I've noticed that he has littered up your website as well. It makes it almost unusable, he clutters it up so much.
    Question: have you got aftermarket exhaust by chance? Ive been hoping that somebody might put a wav file up somewhere.
    I also notice you're from Colorado.....have you had the chance to test the 4wd in slippery stuff yet? I'm kind of curious how it fares without limited slip. I didn't care quite as much myself since 4wd will just be to help me get up slippery boat ramps, but I am curious.
    p.s. What does "get bent" mean exactly?
    Oh No.. Another apology, OK I'll take it easy; lo siento

Only one day of slippery stuff, couple of days after I took delivery so I babied Pinchy, (my Tundra), since then - six weeks , we haven't had any percip in CO though I have pushed it up sandy, steep, rocky stuff and it handled brilliantly. I use 4wheelers for getting to remote climbing and hiking areas so do all my friends for the last 20 years so I've driven a fair amount. This thing is best I've commanded in forget-about-a-corolla zones. No after market stuff, just and LTD w/TRD.

Email me a wav of the Tundra and I'll open up my Tundra page with it. Get Bent is a Bart Simpsonism meaning, well: get bent, you'd have to know Bart, and 'having a cow' is what I've done when met with big 3 aficionados.
    Found a site where they offer "clear" paint protection for the tundra. It is some kind of clear flexible stick on material made by 3M and warranted against yellowing, cracking, etc. They have applications to protect the front of the hood and quarterpanels as well as the mirrors and special headlight protection kits as well. Their link is: www.xpel.com
  • swsheridanswsheridan Member Posts: 4
    For any of you who have had bedliners sprayed in -

Was the application done such that the "drain plugs" in the bed can still be removed?

Is this something reasonable to ask for?

Any other hints or suggestions?

+ + +
    BTW I've had my Tundra 1 week, and it is just the right size for me. No vibrations or other problems.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I was comparing the Tundra Limited 4x4 X-cab Vs Silverado LT 4x4 X-cab. Edmunds lists 79.3 wide for the Tundra VS 78.5 for the Chevy. They must have bad information. Let me know what the ground clearance is on your Tundra - I still can not see how Toyota got that much clearance -- unless they have an apple size rear differential or found a way to mount it higher on the axle. I really don't know why I pay attention to these details, but cars/trucks are kind of a hobby. I can remember details about the cars/trucks I owned 20 years ago, buy can't remember my own wedding anniversary
    Ok... I crawled under the Tundra and measured the height of the differential. It's 9.5" above ground. I have the 4x4 with 265/75 tires. The next closest part to the ground is several inches higher. I don't know how Toyota gets away with stating 11.5". Because diff. height is strictly based on tire height is it possible that the diff. is excluded in all manufacturers ground clearance claims?
    Yes they can keep your drain plugs open. Just tell them you don't want them sprayed. They can mask them off with tape, then remove the tape before the liner cures. By the way I would recommend getting it over the rail, it looks good, and you don't have to worry about those rail scratches that WILL happen in the future. Over the rail spray on liners also allow you to put a camper top on it easily too.

cliffy1 - Apparently Line-X has a new formula that doesn't require sanding. Although I don't know why it would make a difference except in saving installation time. Once the liner is sprayed on, it's on, there's no going back whether you sanded the bed or not. I think of it as totally sealing all the elements way from your bed, instead of a drop-in liner allowing your bed to rust away out of sight. Besides, the drop in liner in my Tundra is sanding my bed every time I go down the road. I was very apprehensive about them sanding the bed of my pickup when I had a spray on liner installed, I couldn't watch. But I never regretted it. Although I sold my pickup in order to get my Tundra, the bedliner looked almost as good after 6 years of abuse as it did when they put it on. Only the now infamous bear trap (see Topic 866, Welcome Toyota Tundra - II, posts 271 and 274) managed to leave a mark on it. If you totally abused the bed beyond belief you could always get another coat of liner put on.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    Thanx, now I don't have to crawl around under my truck. BTW, while us Tundra owners are becoming more civil since the demise of the rube, the chevy topics are apparently off limits to us. Had quadrunner tell me to get out of his chevy site because I wasn't a chev owner. I guess he's all fired up about the silverado frame failures.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    that Dodge and GM will be posting their recall notices on the Tundra topic boards. This is apparently the best way to reach Dodge and GM owners.
This discussion has been closed.