Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    dmbfloridadmbflorida Member Posts: 38
    I can relate what the SE District of Toyota has done for the Prius...Options are added like the $699 Toyoguard which a lot of people don't want. A lot of Buyers for the Prius were unhappy with unnecessary extras which the SE District put on to make more money. Supposedly, the same is true of the Gulf States like Texas.

Anyway, a number of SE District buyers bought in another District to avoid doing business with the SE District in which they lived.

I was of the same mindset myself and had looked at other dealerships not near me in Florida. Then, a Prius 2004 became available which did not have the undesired options and I accepted it even though I had ordered another color..

Why does a Toyota District Distributer add un-wanted options?
    Did I hear the word "Greed" ?
  • Options
    otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    Even though I am number one on the waiting list for a HH at a south Florida Toyota dealer, I just got discouraging news. My dealer says that the distributor for five southeast states is not planning on ordering any base model HHs without the option package.

I had a similar concern... I asked my dealer if the waiting list was a "right of first refusal" or if it was really a list of customer orders. he told me toyota was going to build the cars to the customer's specs as they ordered them. I didn't beleive him. It seems like folks waiting for rx's are on a first refusal list. also, it seems a lot of limited w/nav's are "suddenly" available for immediate delivery. and finally what you say above- all make me beleive that if you want a less popular car (ie limited w/nav) then you probably dont have to wait. but if you want a base model, you may have a wait on your hands.

I've been cruising ebay, and I see a lot of HH limiteds up for grabs. but I have yet to see 1 base model HH. the response for the HH limiteds seem pretty luke warm (if not cold). I wonder how an auction for a base model would do?
  • Options
    upstateny5upstateny5 Member Posts: 62
    I too was told that the base model would have the options package, like it or not.
  • Options
    cknoxcknox Member Posts: 8
    Got a call from my dealer today. They have two loaded (4wd, limited, with NAV) coming in this week, black or silver in color. I don't want the NAV, so I'm going to pass. Only one was actually available, as the owner of the dealership has spoken for the silver one (bad form, in my opinion, but maybe just sour buyer grapes). Apparently, they do have a 4wd limited w/o NAV coming in, but it's the one color my wife absolutely doesn't want (white). So, sounds like they're finally going to order one (after trying to trade around with another dealer on the white one), and I should have it in 3-4 weeks.

BTW, our deal with the dealership is for MSRP only, no Toyoguard. This is in the upper midwest. So, I'm willing to wait a few weeks.

Glad to hear the couple of folks who've received theirs are happy so far. Looking forward to hearing from more as additional units get out there.
  • Options
    cgillcgill Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to share my experience trying to get a Highlander Hybrid: Back in April, I went to Toyota of Grapevine (Grapevine, TX) and asked about Highlander Hybrids. I was told the first ones would come in May and if I put a $500 deposit, I would guarantee myself one at MSRP and avoid the mark-up that would naturally happen. The MSRP was $43k. I got the call today it was in. I go to the dealer and I am informed that they no longer would stand by their earlier word and I would have to pay a markup all the way to $51k. I kindly got my $500 back and left. (ps: bought a Nissan later same day)

BEWARE OF TOYOTA OF GRAPEVINE AND THEIR DISHONEST BAIT AND SWITCH PRACTICES
  • Options
    nimhrodnimhrod Member Posts: 49
    Of the colors available, which are you most enamored with?

Black
    White
    Silver
    Blue
    Gold

I ordered a white HHL w/nav. but changed my mind as white is the color of all the municipal vehicles here in VA. Changed to silver. Is white very popular?
  • Options
    jamespjamesp Member Posts: 1
    In the hot southwest, I like white. My wife likes the blue though. Neither of us is a fan of black or gold cars.

I'm on a waitlist in San Diego - behind 80 others - for a HH.
  • Options
    tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    I had a similar bait and switch experience. I put my $500 deposit in with my local dealer and it took them seven months to tell me that they were going to add $2000 for what they called "Market Value." So I called a dealer in a rural area and made sure that they were going to charge MSRP. I got my deposit back from the first one and sent it to the second one. But a few weeks later, the second dealer told me that I was low on the list and wouldn't get mine until November. So I used the Edmunds website to ask for four quotes, not really expecting to get any quotes. About a week l later, I got a call from one of the four dealers saying that they had a group of 25 HHs coming in and would take my $500 deposit at MSRP. After the first two, I was skeptical, but figured it couldn't be any worse than November. That was May 4th. About two weeks later, they called to say that they had my color (Black) in a 2WD instead of the AWD. I was fine with that (still expecting some problem). Then today (!) they called to say it was in. Four hours later, we picked it up. This dealer was totally true to their word and as professional and courteous as I've ever experienced. They deserve to get mentioned - Power Toyota of Cerritos. Go through the Internet department if you are in Southern California. On my way home, I drove by the Toyota national headquarters in Torrance.

I guess my lesson learned was to just keep plugging away. The car is totally worth it.
  • Options
    nsxwesnsxwes Member Posts: 84
    I would be interested if anyone has had experience with extended warranties. I understand that the standard warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles. The powertrain is under warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles and the hybrid related components are under warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles. This appears to be very good warranty coverage and a supplemental extended warranty may not be necessary. Any thoughts?

Regarding the Honda/Acura DVD based navigation system, I have also heard that they are the most advanced. I hope that the Toyota system comes close. If not, I will be a bit disappointed, but at least I will be able to see all the cool hybrid related information on the NAV screen :)
  • Options
    fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    Glad to hear everyone's happy so far.
    My dealer said two came in last week. The interior didn't match my choice, so am impatiently waiting.
  • Options
    You have more patience than we did. We were going for the AWD, but settled for the 2WD. My wife just started a new job last week that's about 75 miles a day farther than her previous job. The HH came just in time. We'll leave the AWD to someone who probably needs it more than we do.
  • Options
    tsotsitsotsi Member Posts: 98
    The message I am getting from my dealer is that only Limited models are being delivered in this part of Florida right now. I am curious about whether this is true everywhere. I called a friend in Pennsylvania and he said his dealer offered him a base model with FWD for slightly less than $35k. It seems buyers there want AWD since they sometimes have snow. It was not clear if the base model was available this instant or in the near future.

Is it possible that Toyota is shipping base model HHs to places where they are not wanted while some of us on the waiting list can't get them? I wonder if dealers in Florida bothered to tell Toyota what models and colors people on the waiting list wanted. Can anybody tell me what hassles and expenses are involved in buying a car in another state? Would I have to license it in the state where it was purchased and then relicense it in Florida?
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Would I have to license it in the state where it was purchased and then relicense it in Florida?

Most states have reciprocal agreements to take out the tax for the state it will be licensed in. Be sure and ask the dealer wherever you go to spell that out for you. I buy all my cars out of state because San Diego is so expensive. It should be no problem once you find the car you want. It may be the distributor for Florida is JUST plain greedy and only wants to sell the most expensive model.
  • Options
    cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    We are in San Jose area of Northern CA.

According to a local large dealership sales mgr, they are receiving 40 vehicles thru December of this year but he will not know the exact arrival schedule and types of vehicles until 2 weeks from now. He mentioned that Toyota is not yet responding to his inquiry regarding delivery schedule and model specifications. He promised to call us in 2 weeks with more precise info, will post then if he comes through with the details.

They just received a lone demo last week and started calling waiting list people to test drive the vehicle. It is a 4WD Limited with NAV.
  • Options
    My dealer in upstate NY (Plattsburgh) said there are no signs of the base model yet and could not give me any guarantee that there would be one in the near future.
  • Options
    My dealer in upstate NY (Plattsburgh) said there are no signs of the base model yet and could not give me any guarantee that there would be one in the near future.

At least your dealer is telling you something....

Anyway, it seems there are NO AWD base models rolling out yet. It makes me wonder if Toyota miscalculated the allocation of base vs limited. I was curious a couple of months ago how many people had ordered base vs limited. I wonder if there was a disproportionate amount of orders for Base AWD cars compared to toyotas predicted allocation. I'm wondering if they are just releasing the limiteds first. if they released the limiteds at the same time as the base models, then I bet all the base models would be snatched up while the limiteds just sat on dealers lots. This way, the impatient buyers can "settle" for a limited model.

I was up in chicago over memorial day w/e and talked to a couple of dealers there. they all said the same thing- nothing but limiteds are coming in for the first 2 months. they are getting some "extra" cars and they are FWD limiteds as well. (in chicago, that probably wouldn't work too well).

Looks like toyota missed their pricing targets and priced the Limited right out of the market.
  • Options
    mactelmactel Member Posts: 6
    What I have learned from a whole day of emails and phone calls to a lot of Toyota dealers:

Just because your are not a waiting list does not mean you have to wait for 6+ months. In one day of searching one dealer had a white HH, 2wd. Two other dealers also offered to order to my exact specs, Blk,Ltd.,Nav,Ivory int, but would charge 2-3 k over msrp with a 6 week wait time. There is also a dealer in southern cali that has two hybrids coming in this week. These two HH don't meet my requirements. I guess the most interesting things that I found is that there are a few dealer that have what is called an interest list. People on this list get called to test drive the HH and then given the option to order one. So these dealers tend to have a long interest list but a short order list. Thus, if you are sure about what you want you can order the car and be higher up on the actual order list. Since you are higher on the wait list the wait time might in the range of a few weeks vs. a few months. I'm assuming that there a few dealers out there that just took names and not actual deposits when they created their list.

I guess the important thing is to make sure your dealer explains his or her inquiry/ordering process. Also try to get at least a verbal quote or an email saying they will honor msrp price.

I was able to get myself on a short order list to get my exact car for a quoted price of 41,010. The price seems off by a few hundred dollars. I am not sure if it excludes delivery charges. I'll keep you guys posted once I have a solid figure. I hope this info is somewhat helpful to someone.

Someone on this thread gave the following tip: call up and research small rural dealers.
    Thank you very much for that advice. ;)
  • Options
    I really admired Toyota when they released their second generation Prius, with its amazing technology, and was pleased to hear there was a HH on the way. It seemed worth a $5000 premium to get a Highlander with Toyota’s ingenious hybrid system. Not worth it in pure economic terms, since the savings in fuel would never recover the premium, but worth it to encourage every car company to focus on economy instead of waste.

Now, I am beginning to wonder if the HH isn’t an exercise in cynicism. The hybrid premium is $8000 instead of $5000 and most of the extra money goes to increase the weight and decrease efficiency. The mandatory third row of seats and (apparently) mandatory moon roof add 200 pounds to the HH’s weight. I would rather spend the money on aluminum parts to reduce the weight and on the clever thermos coolant container, used on the Prius, to keep the coolant hot and increase efficiency. Instead I have to buy big wheels and a chrome license plate holder.

I am writing this because I believe that Toyota is a company worth admiring and I hope they will realize that their marketing policies on the HH may turn into a PR disaster. Many of us who want to encourage the thoughtful use of resources don’t like being manipulated by car companies any more than by the oil companies. I want the efficient hybrid system, without having to buy animal hides, exotic wood and excessive weight. Toyota, please give us the HH we deserve -- a light, efficient version with clever technology to preserve fuel along with enough power to drive like a conventional car. I may end up buying the two ton bloated version you are offering now, but I know you could do a lot better.

Am I alone in feeling this way?
  • Options
    "They all said the same thing- nothing but limiteds are coming in for the first 2 months. "

I guess that pretty much explains why I got my Limited on Saturday even though I was only on the waiting list a month. We were wondering about that.
  • Options
    Just a quick note that I am very disappointed that Toyota decided not to equip the Highlander Hybrid with Bluetooth technology as it does on the Prius. I could hardly believe it when I took delivery :cry:
  • Options
    You are not at all alone. I am starting to rethink whether I want this vehicle. I have been a Toyota owner since 1990 and that car is still on the highway. But I don't need a car with all kinds of extra features that I don't need or want (moon roof etc) and I don't like the mystery about when the base model is going to be available.
  • Options
    Toyota is being smart. I don't think you're alone in thinking that it would be good to offer a totally green SUV. But you're definitely in the minority. Most people want to help the environment, but it's not their number one goal in life. Their goal is to raise their kids, and take care of their aging parents, and spend time with their friends. If they can do something that helps the environment, too, so much the better.

This being a capitalist system, companies do best by giving the customer what they want. When it comes to SUVs, they want enough power to go up hills, carry a bunch of people, take all of the luggage to the airport, and look good doing it. No one buys an SUV to save the environment. So all of those drivers of SUVs are the market that Toyota is aiming at with the new HH. Toyota isn't interested in getting people to sell their Prius' so that they can buy HHs. They want people, like me, to sell my DVD-equipped, leather-seated, Bose-stereod, ski-racked, 12 mpg GMC Envoy. And as long as they're nice enough to make a hybrid that fits my lifestyle, I don't mind putting a few extra bucks in the hybrid collection plate.

Life is a series of trade-offs. I won't pay $4 for a cup of coffee (and then tip the person who hands it over the counter). I clip grocery coupons on Sunday. I buy 99% of my clothes at discount places. I take my lunch to work. I put two daughters through expensive schools while living on a shoestring.

But when I go to play softball on Wednesday nights, I want my ride to be comfy, quiet, and fast. A little green goes nicely with my gray leather seats.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I am writing this because I believe that Toyota is a company worth admiring and I hope they will realize that their marketing policies on the HH may turn into a PR disaster. Many of us who want to encourage the thoughtful use of resources don’t like being manipulated by car companies any more than by the oil companies. I want the efficient hybrid system, without having to buy animal hides, exotic wood and excessive weight. Toyota, please give us the HH we deserve -- a light, efficient version with clever technology to preserve fuel along with enough power to drive like a conventional car. I may end up buying the two ton bloated version you are offering now, but I know you could do a lot better."

One cannot have it both ways: either the vehicle is light, small, aerodynamic, and has a small frontal area (and is fuel efficient), or it is larger, heaver, and has a larger frontal area (and gets worse mileage - the larger the vehicle, the less the absolute MPG).

This is an SUV! Part of the equation is weighing almost 4500 lbs...

I do not share your admiration of Toyota. They build some of the biggest and worse polluting vehicles for sale in America. They are a smart company with good marketing. One of their smarts is to build what people want, so they have a large selection of heavy vehicles, from their Pickups to their Land Cruiser to their Sequoia, to their HH (compared to smaller hybrids, it is heavy). They don't sell cars by being evnironmentally conscious, but rather by building what people want to buy.

In my opinion, Honda is a far better company in terms of fuel efficiency. Not a V-8 engine on any lot (unless it is a used trade in)...
  • Options
    hjump123hjump123 Member Posts: 2
    "They all said the same thing- nothing but limiteds are coming in for the first 2 months. "

We walked into our local dealership (South Wisc.) last Saturday just to drive a conventional Highlander in order to determine if we wanted to get put on the wait list for a HH that probably wouldn't arrive until January. We were very pleased with the Highlander and were debating if we wanted to wait for the Hybrid or simply go with the conventional version immediately. Sales Manager then said he had a Base Model (with option pkg) and a Limited (no nav) arriving this month and neither were spoken for since they were 2WD. Both selling at MSRP. We ended up putting a deposit down on the Limited (it was the better color) and are hoping to see it towards the end of this month.

So we haven't actually seen the base model, but it is suppose to be arriving w/in the next week. Thus, there are some out there, but they may only be 2WD.
  • Options
    So we haven't actually seen the base model, but it is suppose to be arriving w/in the next week. Thus, there are some out there, but they may only be 2WD.

How can every dealer except mine know what's coming in?? It's frustrating living in a small town. anyway, it figures an AWD Base model is no where to be seen because that's the one I want. if a base model is coming to your dealer next week, maybe one will come by my dealer. I'll just hold my breath and wait.... :sick:
  • Options
    I agree with tomslyck that lots of people want the loaded HH's and maybe it is actually better to offer a car that lures people away from their GMC Envoys. But I don't understand why Toyota seems to be leaning away from efficiency. I didn't get a Prius because, with tires that don't handle well and very little power, it was greener than I want a car to be. The HH offers a chance to have it both ways. Keep the power and keep tires that grip the road, but design and sell a version that doesn't have all of the heavy mandatory features. And I can't think of any reason, except short-term profit, why Toyota doesn't offer a mix of the limited and base models from day one.

We all know that a year or two from now it will be possible to buy a base model. People who want luxury have been able to buy the Lexus hybrid for a couple of months. Why the slap in the face for those of us who want the mix of luxury and efficiency to lean a little more towards efficiency? In the long run profits will be the same, assuming we greens are willing to wait, so why favor one group over the other? Alienating potential customers for slightly higher short-term profits is a sign of short-sighted thinking, something we are told the Japanese are not normally guilty of.
  • Options
    From the very beginning I wanted a completely loaded Highlander Hybrid and that is what I drove off the lot on Sunday. My experience with the dealer could not have been better. Almost 18 months ago I put my name on their waiting list. From time to time I checked back to see if they had any new information. Once the June date was established by Toyota, they advised me. Once they were able to place specific orders with Toyota the dealer called me in and we input the vehicle specifications. That was several weeks ago. Three days before our Highlander Hybrid arrived, the dealer called to let me know that it would be dropped off on Saturday and we could pick it up on Sunday morning. My wife and I arrived at 10:30AM on Sunday morning to find the pristine Bluestone Metallic Limited 4WDi with Navigation sitting in the tented area for customer pick-up. The salesperson was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and took about an hour going over all of the details of how everything worked.

I guess that I wanted more and not less. My only disappointment was no Bluetooth and it was not equipped with HID lights. No big deal, it just would have been nice. The Highlander Hybrid is a fantastic SUV. Absolutely no complaints about the purchase process, the dealer or the vehicle. It is comfortable, quiet, powerful, looks great and saves considerable gas over our 10 -12mpg GMC Yukon.
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Now I cannot say what the allocations look like in other areas of the country, but here in NY, the allocation of HH's look like this: Please keep in mind this was May's allocation, for some reason I can't get into the system today to get the June's production:

Total 253 produced

FWD Base Highlanders 76 produced - FE AF for equipment
    AWD Base Highlanders 13 produced - FE AF for equipment
    AWD LTD Highlanders 164 produced - FE LL 5 produced
    FE LL NV - 159 produced

Being here in Buffalo, NY almost all of the ones that we have on order are the Limited or Base with AWD. We actually have a base FWD that is available while those with orders on the AWD base models are still waiting for us to get some in our allocation which is driving both them and us batty. The only thing that I can figure is that most of the models that were preferenced in this region were Limited's, but hurts to have to wait for he Base models when that is the majority of what we're looking for and they only made a very few of them in that configuration.

Ken
  • Options
    Thank you Ken.

This was the kind of info I was curious about. while your allocation may not be exactly like everywhere else, I bet it's similar (at least in areas w/snow). What I find interesting is that of all the AWD HH, only about 7% are base models. If I'm reading your message right, it looks like most of your customers want the base model. so I gotta wonder if toyota's trying to "dump" the limiteds first while the demand is hot (which if I were them, I'd probably do the same).

Let me add, that I don't have anything against the limited pkg- it's just not for me.

With the "shortage" of base models, and the seemingly abundant supply of Lmtd models, I gotta wonder if auctioning off a base model on ebay would generate more $$.
  • Options
    I think you are right. Toyota screwed up. Already some dealer in Idaho is trying to peddle an HH on this Forum. I guess he did not read the rules. He thinks it is worth $45k.
  • Options
    bmorebmore Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a AWD Limited end of April and took delivery yesterday. Although I was not #1 on the order list, I was the first to take delivery. My dealership here in Baltimore had a base model FWD with option package with no name on it. By the way, I am avg 26-27 miles on the highway. I am feel pleased with my purchase.
  • Options
    I got an e-mail from Toyota on March 29th, inviting me to hurry down to my dealer and order an HH, with a starting price of $33,030, plus fees. I placed my order and do not mind waiting a few months while Toyota goes after maximum profits by selling only Limited models. But I was really surprised when my dealer told me a few weeks ago that I might just as well forget the $33,030 base model (without the option package). The dealer insists that Toyota has not given any indication that it plans to make and sell the cheapest version. Toyotaken's list of 253 HHs produced, without a single base model HH sans option package, seems to confirm what the dealer said.

If a local car dealer offered a phantom car for sale, it would be busted for deceptive advertising. Is it any different when Toyota does it on a national scale? I don't mind waiting for my HH, but wish I could get definite information about if and/or when the phantom base model will be made and sold. If they can e-mail me, asking me to place my order, it would seem only polite to e-mail me, telling me the truth about pricing and availability.

I actually have no idea whether the story the dealer told me -- that base model HHs without the option package may never be available -- is true or just a scare tactic to get me to buy a more expensive car. In my opinion, Toyota's reputation is suffering because it is not more forthcoming about its plans. Even if what they are doing is legal, it is certainly not good PR.
  • Options
    The problem is what Toyota is doing (offering a car starting at $33k, and realistically not selling any of these) is common among other car manufacturers. For instance, BMW says you can get a 3-series "starting at $30,300." But really if you go to any BMW dealer, all you see are 325i's around $33-36k. I think it's common- but that doesn't make it right. I'm sure toyota will sell a "few" base models w/o option pkg just to make things legal.

My problem is the lack of information I've seen for the last 18+ months. Most of what I see/read is hype and speculation. We considered buying a gas Highlander a couple of years ago. Then I get word that a hybrid version is coming out in a few months. well that obviously didn't happen. All I heard was "any time now...I'll have more information later..." which is what I'm still hearing today. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the regular highlander 2 years ago, and just driven it for a few years and then wait for the waiting lists to go away and buy a HH. I'm disappointed, but not to the point of jumping ship. Don't get me wrong, I still want a HH, I just don't like being "mislead" when making my decisions. 2 years ago, if someone told me, well it will be 2+ years before you get your HH base AWD at $XX price because of marketing strategy etc..., then I might have gone about it differently to avoid the aggravation.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    What I think happened is that Toyota advertised to you the "best price information they had at the time" which, in the relase process for a Brand Spanking New model of car that has never been offered before, is a "moving target" at the least.

I have no doubt (and I think no one else should either) that the price they gave you at the time was the BEST INFO they had and as ACCURATE as they could make it be at that particular moment in time.

The person in charge of marketing is NOT the person who sets prices and decides what options and versions of a car will be available. Communication lines can get crossed, but most likely what happened here is that "decisions were made AFTER that e-mail went out which changed the price" and that no one is really at fault - it's just the nature of the business. That happens all the time. You can google old news and press releases for new cars and look at the announced pricing and compare that at Edmunds with the CURRENT REAL prices, and you can bet that in EVERY single case, those prices will be different.

Remember - no one is "forcing" you to buy a car. I have walked into and out of MANY car dealerships without buying a car. You can too.

Bottom line is this: If the car you want is not in your price range, then you must shop for a different car.

Good luck in shopping, but I don't think anyone intentionally deceived you.... :D
  • Options
    I agree with larsb that no one is forcing me to buy a car. But Toyota's hybrid system is a technical tour de force and it will be a shame if the marketing arm messes up its presentation to American car buyers. As an engineer, I sympathize with Toyota designers who probably have already made many compromises to keep the salesmen happy.

I am not saying that Toyota does not have the right set its own prices. It set the price of the base HH at $33,030 and offers an option package for another $1,770. The word "option" implies that it is optional so I don't think I am being unreasonable to ask that as a buyer, I should be able to refuse the option. It is not all about money. If they offered an option that dumped the rear row of seats and cut the weight by five hundred pounds, using aluminum and carbon fiber, I might very well choose to pay for that option.

Consumers can influence the market by sending a clear message to companies that are trying to sell us their products. We don't have to act like sheep. I may very well get impatient and spend that extra $1,770 to get a HH a little sooner. In the meantime, I hope the marketers may be getting a little nervous over their decision to use "bait and switch" tactics. I hope lots of potential buyers will tell them that we don't like their way of doing business. Good product, bad marketing strategy. Bravo engineers, boo salesmen.
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Unfortunately for the buyer, today's Hybrids are considered "top of their line" vehicles and "mandatory" options are added to increase the bottom line for the carmaker and to help "bury" some of the added manufacturing cost of the Hybrid components.

That will change as time goes by, but it is today's Reality..... :D:cry:;)
  • Options
    I agree that the dealers and Toyota would be better served to explain their plans up front so that people aren't disappointed. I was caught on one of those deceptive waiting lists, too.

But I think the hybrid technology is really important for the planet on a lot of levels so I hope that Toyota does what's best for their long term hybrid strategy. I sat quietly on the sidelines these last few years while they made Priuses that my wife wouldn't be caught dead in. I'm really happy that they've been successful.

Now if they're successful with a totally different segment of the car-buying public, more power to them. Go Toyota! Keep those hybrids coming.
  • Options
    Owning a ’96 Forerunner since new, I can appreciate how gratifying it can be owning a flexible, comfortable, and dependable vehicle can be. I’ve easily hauled everything from bottled water to lumber in this Toyota workhorse. So, imagine my surprise when I visited my local dealer to test drive the Highlander and discovered that the rear window is fixed! Non-opening. Non-lowering. Non-helpful! Am I missing something here? How do you haul oversized items like carpet, 2 x 4’s, lawnmowers, fishing rods, etc. How do you air out the cabin when experiencing gastric distress after a visit to the local Taco Bell? Never mind the expense of a motorized window; how much cost/effort would it have been to have a window that flips up?

Is this an issue for anyone else here?

By the way, I’m 2nd on my dealer’s list for a white HHL.
  • Options
    I am curious about how many HH buyers actually use their moonroofs. It would be interesting to hear from moonroof enthusiasts. Do you enjoy the light that comes through the closed moonroof or do you open it to let fresh air in? Or both? Is it quiet at high speeds? Given a choice, would you pay extra for just the moonroof?

Here in Florida, I can't remember ever seeing an open moonroof on any type of car. It is a place where water and/or heat may leak into the car. It is heavy, and worse, the weight is at the highest point in the car, reducing stabililty. It reduces headroom. It is another maintenance item.

I understand that in other parts of the US it may also be a valued feature. I would really like to know if it is something worthwhile. That knowledge may help me decide whether to pay for the option package or wait for the base car w/o moonroof. Right now I believe 100% of HHs (and Lexus hybrids too) have moonroofs.
  • Options
    fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    I've had them in my last few vehicles and really like them. They're a quick way to remove heat from a parked vehicle and I like the extra natural light. I find the wind noise insignificant - as opposed to an open window. I more often use them tilted as opposed to full open as the sun can get a bit toasty after a while. I ordered one on my HH.
  • Options
    I don't care for moonroofs myself. It just happens that most of my cars have had them and I open them maybe once a year. When I bought my BMW, I didn't want a moonroof on the car. But I was told that selling a used BMW w/o moonroof was like selling a leper.
  • Options
    socialguy28socialguy28 Member Posts: 1
    As stated, you are correct....you don't have to have to buy the car. Also salesmen don't have tools to build the vehicles themselves. TMCC of Amercia are the ones you order the vehicles based on recommendations from consumer survey groups. They spend millions on these surveys so they can build a vehicle for the majority of the demographics they are trying to hit with each vehicle. This way they can keep production costs down so people can afford these vehicles in demand. You may just be in a region for which they thought people wouldn't buy the the "base" vehicles and they would rather have their vehicles on the road rather than sitting on lots. It may be improper of them to advertise the vehicle and I am sure they do build them just not in great numbers and you may need to wait for the vehicle you want. Salespeople just want the vehicles on the lot.....the demand is there for these vehicles. Toyota benefits the most by building the vehicles with options because they charge dealers for the vehicles regardless what the dealer wants. Dealers only can sell what they are given. You may be right that it is wrong.....just learn who really controls the process before you speak. Manufacturers do what they want because there sale ends when the vehicles arrive on the lots, its up to dealers to emtpy their lots.
  • Options
    sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Here in Houston (a Florida like hot-humid place) I really like having a moonroof. Cracking it open when the car is sitting in the sun definitely makes a difference. And for the months when it isn't oppressively hot here, I *love* driving with the moonroof open--it's a poor man's convertible. I've never had even a slight leak (and mine isn't even on a Toyota). It can be a little loud at highway speeds when open, but I just turn up the stereo. :surprise:

When we decided on the HH (which we're still waiting for, but we knew that would happen), my wife definitely wanted the moonroof. Actually, we talked about options before the final specs were released and she wanted everything in the option package, so that was a no-brainer for us.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    That will change as time goes by, but it is today's Reality

Thanks but no thanks,

I will wait. I am patient and can continue driving my gasoline 99 BMW 323 until I find a hybrid or diesel that I fancy at the right price.

As technology improves time will always be on my side---UNLESS my current car self-destructs(crossing my fingers that does not happen)
  • Options
    phillyguy27phillyguy27 Member Posts: 7
    After talking to several dealerships in my area (Philadelphia, PA) I found several of them to be too sleazy to even talk to or have a straight conversation. Finally, a few months ago, I decided to put a deposit at one of the places. This week I got a voicemail saying they had a white HH for me. I left a message saying I was interested. Went in today and was told that the car was sold "2 hours ago".....this after much misinformation given to me by them (I was supposed to be #12 on their list). Then I was told that I was too deep on the waiting list and should not expect my car for 6-8 months. The car that was "held for me" was the first AND ONLY car they received. The first couple people on their list declined to buy it. They called several people and left a message they left for me. The first person who walked in took the car. Forget about any hopes of honoring the waiting list...it all seems to be a scam.

Dealer claims that Toyota will simply not give them any delivery schedule (or # of cars). They just drop by cars on their lot and they will then sell them.

I am very close to retracting my deposit and BE DONE WITH TOYOTA NOW AND FOREVER! I have written to Toyota directly but keep getting a message that I should deal directly with the "Customer Relations Manager" at the dealership....who I have spoken to as well (above story). I will post if I hear anything back.

Right now, it doesn't matter how WONDERFUL the HH may be. I am not prepared to do business with a bunch of sleazy dealerships and a company that backs them up in their sleaziness.

:mad:
  • Options
    Nimhrod, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even looked at the rear window....through it, but not at it. It's kind of a non-issue to me. I had an Envoy with a rear window that opened and rarely used it. But for those people who do, that's good to point out. Thanks.
  • Options
    We use he moonroof daily. My wife teaches in the inner city and has to lock her HH (which I thought was MY HH until she started driving it) when she parks it. (We don't get much rain here in the summer.) She just leaves the moonroof cracked open so that the hot air can escape. When she allows me to drive it, I enjoy opening the moonroof to let the breeze through, get a few rays, and not have to hear the road noise quite as much. However, there's some aerodynamic thing going on that requires at least one side window be open a crack to stop the weird noise. (I'll let you engineers jump in here to explain that.)
  • Options
    The first person who walked in took the car.

That is what the Toyota dealer in San Diego told me. Each salesman keeps a list. When a premium car comes in they call all the people on their lists. The first guy through the door with the bucks, gets the car. If you live around the corner you have an advantage. If you live 30 miles away it is a wasted trip.

PS
    Welcome to the forum, let us know what you get.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. My waiting list experience was very much hit-or-miss. Fortunately, I hit on a dealer at the right time and got what I wanted at MSRP. But I didn't count on getting it until I drove off the lot in it. It's a weird business. If you really want it, just throw a bunch of hooks out and see what you snag. Los Angeles - where I live - is a big city, close to the port and close to Toyota national headquarters. It might have been easier for us for those reasons. But I'm with you. The business is way too sleazy. Good luck.
  • Options
    Just got the call for a blue HHL w/ nav. Am looking at it in the morning, but wanted a silver. I may end up waiting for a silver w/gray. None of that "market adjustment" balogna, either.