Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• HH takes regular gas.
  • I have kept the ECON mode on and on my second tank and mixed driving I am close to 25 mpg. The computer says over 25.
  • hotch41, have you considered getting a small commuter car, and saving your Acadia for times when you need the extra room?
  • chadxchadx Posts: 153
    "hotch41, have you considered getting a small commuter car, and saving your Acadia for times when you need the extra room? "

That probably isn't a cost effective solution. First, you have to pay insurance on two rather than one vehicle. That alone would offset the improved mileage for most people. But if you happen to pay really cheap insurance, you still have to add in the cost of the second vehicle. Even if you only spent $5,000, that is a lot of gallons of gas. Buy anything cheaper and be faced with repair costs. Plus, you are not driving the vehicle you want. You are settling. And you now have two vehicles to try and fit in your garage (or have one sitting out on the street in the weather, etc.) Now your very nice primary car sits and depreciates without you even getting to enjoy it because you are commuting in some beat up little commuter car.

As nice as it sounds, in my opinion, buying a 'commuter vehicle' just doesn't make sense for most people, finacially or otherwise. I looked into doing this a few years ago and it would have cost me extra money per month. Your situation may vary.
  • I've now had my HH for just over a week, and am still going on the first tank of gas. So far, my average is almost 27 MPG combined city and highway. I too use the Econ mode almost exclusively.
  • "That probably isn't a cost effective solution. First, you have to pay insurance on two rather than one vehicle. That alone would offset the improved mileage for most people. But if you happen to pay really cheap insurance, you still have to add in the cost of the second vehicle. Even if you only spent $5,000, that is a lot of gallons of gas. Buy anything cheaper and be faced with repair costs. Plus, you are not driving the vehicle you want. You are settling. And you now have two vehicles to try and fit in your garage (or have one sitting out on the street in the weather, etc.) Now your very nice primary car sits and depreciates without you even getting to enjoy it because you are commuting in some beat up little commuter car.

As nice as it sounds, in my opinion, buying a 'commuter vehicle' just doesn't make sense for most people, finacially or otherwise. I looked into doing this a few years ago and it would have cost me extra money per month. Your situation may vary."

I agree that it's probably not cost effective, but it's also an expensive proposition depreciation-wise to trade in a vehicle that's nearly brand new, just to save some gas. My reply was based on hotch41's desire to spend less on gasoline, and if that's his main objective he could buy a (used) small economy car for his 70+ mile round trip commute and come out way ahead in terms of his weekly gas bill.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Posts: 262
    Thanks jan123....I'm seriously consider getting rid of my '08 Acadia since although it's a nice vehicle and I almost have 2K miles on it, I can't seem to do better that 16-17 with mostly HIGHWAY driving averaging 60-70 MPH. I've spent $400 in gas since 10/23 alone and I'm pace to spend $500-$550 per month to gas this thing (unfortunately I drive 35 each way to work). Even if I do 7 mpg better based on your gas mileage experience, I'm sure the savings will add up rather quickly, even though, if I'm not mistaken, the HH has to take premium gas.

I'm still amazed that people would think it's a good proposition to dump a brand new vehicle and take a huge trade in hit, just to save a few bucks on gasoline.

Didn't you budget for gas costs when you bought the large Acadia?

Lets say that you trade in the Acadia and take a $3000 hit on it for getting rid of it so quickly (in all likelihood it has already depreciated MORE than $3,000).

That would be 1,000 gallons of gasoline at current prices.

1,000 gallons of gasoline in your Acadia would let you drive it for between 15,000-17,000 or more miles which is over a year's fuel for the average consumer.

The smarter move for you is to be more prudent with your trip planning, doing things such as combining all of your errands into a single trip, which can often be done mid-commute. Is your Acadia Flex Fuel capable? That could also save a little bit of pain at the pump.

At the end of the say I'm still amazed people buy $35,000 gas guzzling trucks and then have a shock that it costs $300 a month to fill them up.
  • My husband and I have been doing research this past year and have finally decided on the 2008 Highlander Hybrid. What I'm running into is 4 different dealers saying "these vehicles only come with 1 of 2 packages, the PO (Popular Package) or PP (Popular Package Plus)" which adds an extra $2000-$3000+ depending on which dealer you talk to. My husband and I only want a standard without packages or options as we are satisfied with what comes standard and don't need/want all the extra fancy stuff. The dealers' reason is: "the vehicles we get depend on the region and in the Gulf States region, this is how they come". Another problem I'm running into is these dealers are telling me "what Toyota says is standard, may not be standard, depending on the region". This all sounds fishy to me and is frustrating. Anybody have a similar experience? I'm also looking out of state for comparison (we currently live in Central TX). :confuse:
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    These are new vehicles,out only for a couple of weeks. Whenever there is a new launch of any new vehicle they normally come loaded up. What they are telling you is correct in nearly every part of the country. The new HH all have at least one package or another. This will be true for at least the initial period. How long this initial period lasts depends on how the market receives the vehicles. If they're being snapped up faster than they hit the ground then that means that most of the buying public wants one or more packages.

At some point demand will slow down, in the case of the Prius it was 3+ years after initial launch. At that time when demand slows you'll likely be able to buy off the lot or at least order one without a package.

One other limiting factor all the dealers face is that all of these are being made in Japan until the new plant in Tupelo is completed. So whatever comes across on the next boat is what the dealers have to take....and the buyers too. This goes back to the demand question. If most buyers are asking for more rather than less then that's what the plants will build and ship.
  • >>>The new HH all have at least one package or another.

I ordered one in August (Denver dealer), I really didn't want the third seat or any other package, and I wanted a certain color. My dealer tells me that the one I want is indeed coming in in a week or so...
  • jmpage2...Actually what amazes me is that I didn't expect after much research on a vehicle (and believe me, I did a ton of it knowing I'd be spending this kind of $) with 3-row seating, that I'd be getting the city MPG estimate with my primarily highway driving. I guess you could say I fell for all the hoopla that the critics raved about how the Acadia stood out for the estimated gas mileage on the highway. Mind you, I know I wouldn't get 22 MPG according to the sticker, but I didn't expect to get the city mileage (16 MPG ALL THE TIME) and spend the money I'm spending. After all, you only could crunch so many numbers before making a purchase decision.

But you make me think more carefully about any drastic moves as my Acadia cost me quite a bit more than the $35K you indicated. It seems like I would never recoup the additional money outlay to get into the HH or even the conventional HL to get the gas mileage I thought I'd be getting.

In addition, although I did drive the HL prior to my purchase of the Acadia, the HL is much more agile than the Acadia. I bought the Acadia only for the amount of space it allows. I don't even drive my kids around on a daily basis and I should have purchased a vehicle based on something I'd enjoy driving during a long commute. The Acadia is a nice vehicle, just not too exciting. I know sacrifices need to be made, but either HL is more enjoyable to drive over the Acadia. I drove the HL again last night.

Anyway, thanks to all for your opinions and insight. It's been very helpful.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    I read a lot of the consumer reviews on Edmund's and 16 MPG seems about average. I tried renting one for a vacation trip. They tried sticking me with a Pacifica at the last minute and I ended up driving my PU truck. I cannot imagine taking the hit selling a vehicle after only a few months. Unless some Toyota dealer feels sorry for you and wants bragging rights taking an Acadia in trade. Just put it on Craigslist and maybe you will get a buyer, so you don't lose $5k to $8k on the trade.
  • ighigh Posts: 60
    Carsdirect is already offering 2500 off MSRP for a Limited with
    Navi in Bay area. I think prices will become reasonable by next year. I am
    in no hurry. Will wait till spring.
  • I do wonder why is the limited $6K more than the base Hybrid? I do see some bigger wheels, spoiler, DRL, leather, power seats but that's about it.

$40K+ for a non-luxury midsize SUV means it competes with MDX and others. Sure it's a hybrid but that's about it. Still no sunroof or other base 'luxury' stuff. Toyota certainly knows how to make money of hybrids...

So I could imagine you could get a discount on a non-luxury $40K midsize hybrid SUV. Although I doubt you could get such discount easily at this time...
  • Thank you for the information, it is helpful. The more dealers I've been talking to, I'm hearing similar info. I bought my own car used and it is domestic so I'm learning the ropes of buying new and foreign. :)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    GM just announced the pricing of their new hybrids... $50 - $55K MSRP. Woweee

No! No matter what you tell me the auto makers are NOT discussing the pricing in some offshore island. I don't believe it.
  • bennbbennb Posts: 143
    You CAN get them with more specified options, but Toyota in general sends our cars with certain packages on them most of the time ... they will tell you it's b/c they are the most commonly sold, but it is a money-making proposition (duh, I know). If you special order one, you should be able to pick out the EXACT options you want on it ... otherwise you'll have to just go with the flow.
  • Can a 2006 HH be programed like the 2008HH, to stay longer in battery mode? I read that the 2008 will have the same engine set up as the 2006 HH, but it will stay longer in battery mode. Does anyone know the answerto this question ? Frank
  • I need documentation on the CO2 emission rate of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid 2007 model. Where do I go?
  • doug28doug28 Posts: 30
    Greetings Toyota owners.

I purchased my HH about April of '06 and it currently has 26,000 mile on it.

I will not bore you with the 10 page dicertaion of what all happened to my car but you are welcome to ask questions as you comment on this thread.

To put it in short form.

HH starts shaking. Owner has it towed to Toyota dealer. Dealer calls and says "Bad gas, not covered under warranty, $285.00" Owner says please fix it. Dealer runs & idles it for 2 days calls and says engine blown, steel parts fly out from under it. Calls in special tech for HH. 8 days later leaves message that cause was hydro lock not covered by warranty.

This looks bad for us. I must guess five to seven thousand for new engine.

On top of this they performed the 30,000 mile service prior to purgeing the gas.

Confused. :sick: