Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• hlanderhlander Posts: 31
    dear lizcnyc,

If you want to read the distance (in decimal), you can use the trip odometer A or B. Just press the bottom to change to trip A or B then press and hold for few second to reset.

I hope that will help you.
  • bean88bean88 Posts: 14
    I have an 06 HH and I had this problem once...it occurred after I passed the 5k service reminder and the service light stayed on. It took me at least 15 minutes to fill the tank because of it. I immediately took it in for service and told the dealer about it...they couldn't find a problem but the problem disappeared after my service light was reset. I have a sneaky feeling that Toyota has programmed the valve (you know...the one that closes automatically in the event of a rollover) inside the tank to close once the service light goes on to entice people to get their vehicle serviced. That's my theory but I haven't tested it again by exceeding the 5K service since.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    The 2009 Highlander ICE model is getting an I4 2.7L base engine. Has anyone heard rumors that they will offer this on the hybrid?

I personally own an FEH, but I've always thought that it would be much better to put an I4 in the HH.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    It would be nice but I think that the new Venza will get a hybrid 4c before the heavier Highlander does. I believe that with the size and weight of the new model that only the 2.7L would have enough power. Thus far I haven't seen anything that indicates that the 2.7L ( 1AR ) will be linked to the current or NextGen HSD.

Supposition only ... the new 2.5L ( 2AR ) engine will debut next month in the RAV, then migrate to the Camry early in 2009. This will eventually replace the current 2.4L 2AZ across the entire lineup. It's this 2.5L that I think will be linked to the NextGen HSD in the Camry and Venza hybrids when they are actually introduced.
  • I have two questions. I have a 2008 HiHy Limited (LOVE it). It averages 22mpg, but was as high as about 31 for a couple of weeks there. I recently went to get gas, had the tank open, and then realized I was on the wrong side (brain freeze). I did not put the cap back on - I just moved to another pump and gassed up. My mpg plummete down to about 14 mpg. It's now up again around 17-19 or so. But what gives. I take it I blew it by leaving the gas tank open for that tiny little drive to the other pump?

Also, when should you use Econ mode vs. EV mode?

Thanks!
    Janine
  • I use Econ all the time (except 4WD -- re which I have to say I am very pleased. On some rough roads it has done very well -- just about as well as my old Ford Explorer with its low range).

As for EV: I get the sense it is for parking ramps and places where one wants to avoid exhaust and/or noise. It is not clear that EV mode is the most efficient, though it certainly seems like it at the time. But EV never lasts very long: a couple of 100 yards only in that once one passes 20 mph it quits.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    be sure to stop into the new Your Hybrid Vehicle Awards discussion to talk about why you think the Highlander hybrid is among the best of the year!

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• hlanderhlander Posts: 31
    I think it is the way computer calculates mpg. When you fill up the thank, set the multi-information display to show "Average fuel consumption after refueling". It will go down to single digit then after you drive for couple of miles, it will come back above 20mpg. Sometime, when you ideal your car for period of time when you park, that average fuel consumption will fall off. When you go up the hill it will go down to 13 ~ 16 mpg then when you hill down, it will go up again. It calculate up and down all the time. You should see "Average fuel consumption after refueling history", it will show you last five time average consumption.

I do not think that cause by leaving cap open and drive a few blocks. Just my 2 cents.
  • zebart72zebart72 Posts: 1
    I am considering a new vehicle. I like the 2009 HIghlander features, but the fuel efficiency isn't that impressive (at least for me).

I have been trying to find information on the upcoming 2010 Highlander hybrid. One blog claimed that it would have the 4-cylinder engine, but other blogs were saying the V6 would stay.

Does anyone have links to recent 2010 spec information and an expected release date?

Thanks.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The 2.7L I4 is now available in NA. However until further notice the HH is only linked with the 3.3L V6 as before.

While the EPA numbers for the HH are not sexy as other hybrids like the Prius and new Fusion hybrid they are very very significant!!! :surprise: Consider.

Moving from an ICE 4c Camry which averages 25 mpg ( EPA ) to the TCH which averages 34 mpg ( EPA ) saves our nation 11.6 gal per 1000 mi driven.

Moving from an ICE V6 Highlander 4WD which averages 19 mpg ( EPA ) to the HH which averages 26 mpg ( EPA ) saves our nation 14.1 gal per 1000 mi driven!!

For the national benefit, security and economy, it's much better to have drivers move out of their ICE-only Highlanders into HH's. This doesn't address value at all because value is something very subjective to discuss.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I am considering a new vehicle. I like the 2009 HIghlander features, but the fuel efficiency isn't that impressive (at least for me).

So what kind / brand of 4wd SUV are you comparing it to that does impress you? I find 25+ mpg pretty impressive for a large comfortable SUV with towing abilities. Don't know what else can really compete with it. Maybe I'm easier to impress. Maybe I'm comparing it to the 14.5 mpg my Expedition gets
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "So what kind / brand of 4wd SUV are you comparing it to that does impress you? I find 25+ mpg pretty impressive for a large comfortable SUV with towing abilities. Don't know what else can really compete with it. Maybe I'm easier to impress. Maybe I'm comparing it to the 14.5 mpg my Expedition gets"

Well, except for towing, the Ford Escape Hybrid is pretty good. I get about 30 in town and on the road, and the AWD is mechanical, not electric.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Well, except for towing, the Ford Escape Hybrid is pretty good. I get about 30 in town and on the road, and the AWD is mechanical, not electric.

I like the mechanical AWD in the Escape but I needed to tow 3500 lbs. Also the second row seating in the Escape is terrible in comparison to the HH.
  • Just picked up a 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited ($26K at CarMax with 45K, like new condition). I got it for the 3rd row seat and to tow a boat. Can someone confirm that the towing package is standard in this vehicle - including the bigger alternator, radiator, a transmission cooler and is pre-wired for the lighting harness? Thanks in advance.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Because of the transaxle's propensity to overheat the ATF the non-hybrid HL (and RX) most likely comes standard with the towing package but I rather doubt the HH does.

Your dealer can tell you for certain.
  • I purchased my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited new and I still own it. Also, I still have the "06 Highlander" sales brochure I received at the time of purchase. Under "Exterior Features" it show:
    ---quote---
    --Towing Prep Package - Includes trailer prewiring and transmission oil cooler.
    --Standard on: Highlander Hybrid AND Highlander Hybrid Limited. (Then it refers to note #5)
    Note #5: Towing Prep Package - Includes upgraded radiator, transmission oil cooler, 130-amp alternator and trailer prewiring; 4-cylinder models add: 3000-lb. towing capacity, (my note: of course, the 06 Hybrid only had a V6 engine so 4-cyl remark does not apply.) engine oil cooler, power-steering oil cooler and 120-watt fan coupling; V6 models add 3500-lb. towing capacity and 160-watt fan coupling.
    ---unquote---

Page 319 of Owner's Manual for all 2006 Highlanders:
    ---quote---
    Towing capacity:
    Without towing package: 2000 lb.
    With towing package: 3500 lb.
    (My note: not sure how you handle the "add 3500-lb towing capacity" from the "brochure"???

Final note: As you probably know, the actual towing bar and attachment were not supplied with the new car as standard equipment.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks newski. That was my understanding. I'm going to get a Reese hitch this weekend then boat shopping here I come!
  • Has anyone added Sirius satellite radio to their first generation Highlander Hybrid with the navigation system? I don't see an aux input or a satellite button anywhere. I am looking for something that integrates into the nav unit and displays song/artist/channel information on the screen.
  • Anyone know how to turn off the beep every time you touch a button on the touch screen? 2006 HiHy w/Nav.

Thanks!