Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Comments

• gazguzlergazguzler Posts: 137
    It does make you wonder how CR drives. No one (like no one) has ever claimed to have gotten 16mpg in any circumstances and I think it would be harder to get 16 than 30. You'd have to floor it every light and speed up if the motors kick in.

But even the combined 22 is far worse than anyone's claimed.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Posts: 485
    The 16 mpg in town is abnormally low, their drivers must really be gunning the car, a lot of jack-rabbit type driving.

I also wonder if CR checked the tire pressure. If they used 32 psi, it probably will adversely impact the mpg.

I am trying 40 psi with this next tank.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    CR puts its reviews in its paid area, since subscriptions are the only way they pay for what they do (no ads, buy from dealers like us at MSRP or above in this case I'm sure) you either need to buy the magazine or access the paid site

Call your Library! Most public librarys subscribe to a data base callled EBSCO HOST. You should be able to access it from your home internet, and read CR on line. I believe that the current and most recent 2 months issues are excluded, but for back issues, it is great.
  • OK, got the Scangauge. It plugs right into the computer output socket under the dash, just to the left of the steering column.

At first I thought it would not work w/ the HH because it turned off after 15 seconds of non-ICE running, thinking that the vehical was off. A call to the company (maybe a one person biz?) --the person who picked up the phone mentioned he programmed it. It does work with the HH. The trick, not mentioned in the manual, is to set the fuel type to Hybrid. With this setting, the guage works great.

It gives the missing info--trip MPG--plus numerous other bits of info: digital instantaneous MPG, daily average MPG, digital speed, battery voltage (only the 12V bat), percentage of enegine load, and many other possible bits of arcane info.

It also reads any error codes the computer might be storing, for the technically minded.

All this for $130 pp. Such a deal!
    CR published a link for subscribers to get to the HH article.
    http://www.ConsumerReports.org?source=CR26

Another article about declining sales figure of larger cars, more like a crash.
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aNEyMGdjmVfY&refer=home#

UAW is apparently quite concern because GM is about to roll out more large vehicles while sales figures for the Tahoe just dropped 56%.

Watching GM's VP answering questions about larger cars is disappointing. The VP was not arrogant but was quite sure that large cars would continue to sell well although there will be little increase in the coming years. His claim is that people who want large cars are still out there and they will buy them regardless of gas prices. His comments seemed to have implied that the current sales numbers will hold without significant increase but neither will there be a decrease.

The sales figures announced in the news article above just destroyed his claim.

I wish he would have said something like GM has seen the light and will begin to develop a new generation of hi-tech gas efficient high performance reliable vehicle to rival the foreign car companies.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "The sales figures announced in the news article above just destroyed his claim.

I wish he would have said something like GM has seen the light and will begin to develop a new generation of hi-tech gas efficient high performance reliable vehicle to rival the foreign car companies."

Concur with your comments. How about a quote from the original Airplane! movie:

"First the earth cooled. Then the dinosoars came. But then they got too big and fat, and all died and turned into oil."

Maybe the same quote is true of the mammoth SUVs... only they die and turn into scrap metal.
    I don't see this link for CR subs. Can you direct us?

The link you sent takes us to the main page, which has no mention of the HH

The ice age killed dinosaurs. GMosaurus will be extinct by global warming.
  • mmreidmmreid Posts: 88
    Which issue of Consumer Reports is that in? November? I haven't gotten one since the October issue and I still can't find it on-line. That link in a previous post to the article on-line takes you back to the home page. I tried to search at the website since I'm a member but couldn't find it.

I filled up for the first time since coming back from Tennessee over a week ago and the station was out of anything but 87 octane and it was $3.09! Yikes.

mmreid
  • hhvahhva Posts: 37
    Tonight's (10/3) CBS evening news did a segment on the Hh, slumping sales for Ford and GM, and rising gas prices. It featured a guy in NYC who traded his Mercedes sedan for an Hh. He said the waiting list was over a year(?) but he "knew somebody" so he got lucky.
    I don't think that wait time is accurate but it was right there on CBS.

GM had best rethink its bigger is OK outlook.
  • hhvahhva Posts: 37
    November. I subscribe and just got mine today.
    Very sorry for posting a link without first checking it. The following article is where I found the link and the link I posted FOR SURE DOES NOT WORK. Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I goofed.

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=54471
    you were just a few hours early.

it's here: http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=79074- 3&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=389451&bmUID=1128432095194

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

The hIGHlander Line
    Body style 4-door SUV
    Drive wheels Front or AWD
    Trim lines Base, Limited, Hybrid, Hybrid Limited
    Engines & transmissions
    2.4-liter 4 (155 hp), 3.3-liter V6 (215 hp), 3.3-liter V6 hybrid (268 hp), CVT, 4-speed automatic, 5-speed automatic
    Base price range
    $24,530-$39,290

HIGHS | Acceleration, transmission, fuel economy, low emissions, ride, quietness, fit and finish, access, third-row seat.
    LOWS | Buyers interested in hybrids only to save money may be disappointed.

Toyota Highlander

VERSION TESTED
    TRIM LINE Hybrid Limited
    Price: Base/Tested $39,290/$39,885
    DRIVETRAIN
    Engine 3.3-liter V6 (268 hp) hybrid
    Transmission CVT
    Drive wheels AWD
    Major options None
    Tires tested
    Model & size Goodyear Integrity, size 225/65R17 101S
    RATINGS
    PERFORMANCE
    Acceleration
    0 to 60 mph, sec. 7.4
    45 to 65 mph, sec. 4.7
    Quarter-mile, sec. 15.8
    Transmission
    Routine handling
    Emergency handling
    Avoid. maneuver, max. spd., mph 49
    Braking
    Distance from 60 mph, ft. 148
    Headlights
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Ride
    Noise
    Driving position
    Front-seat comfort
    Rear-seat comfort
    Access
    Controls and displays
    Interior fit and finish
    Cargo area
    PREDICTED RELIABILITY
    FUEL
    Overall mpg/type 22/regular
    City/highway mpg 16/28
    Capacity, gal./Cruising range, mi. 17.2/435
    Annual cost, 15K mi. at $3.00/gal. $2,015
    SAFETY
    CRASH AND ROLLOVER TESTS
    IIHS frontal offset Good
    IIHS side with/without side air bags NA/NA
    NHTSA front, driver/pass. /
    NHTSA side, driver/rear /
    Rollover, 2WD/4WD /
    AIR BAGS
    Side, front/rear opt./no
    Side curtain optional
    SAFETY BELTS
    Center-rear belt 3-point
    Adj. upper anchors, f/r yes/no
    Pretensioners, f/r yes/no
    ACTIVE SAFETY
    Antilock brakes standard
    Traction control standard
    Stability control standard
    SPECIFICATIONS
    DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
    Length/width/height, in. 184/72/68
    Wheelbase, in. 107
    Turning circle, ft. 40
    Ground clearance, in. 7
    Curb weight, lb. (% front/rear) 4,430 (56/44)
    Maximum load, lb. 1,160
    Cargo volume, cu. ft. 38
    Towing capacity, lb. 3,500
    INTERIOR ROOM
    Front shoulder room, in. 57.5
    Front leg room, in. 41.0
    Front head room*, in. 4.0
    Rear shoulder room, in. 57.0
    Rear leg room, in. 29.5
    Rear head room*, in. 4.0
    Third-row shoulder room, in. 53.5
    Third-row leg room, in. 23.0
    Third-row head room, in. 1.5
    * Above a person 5'9" tall.
    The Toyota Highlander Hybrid is one of our top-rated midsized SUVs. The Highlander Hybrid and its Lexus RX400h sibling are the only vehicles in this class that earned an excellent overall score in our tests. Like the Honda Accord Hybrid, which we previously tested, it is an example of a new wave of hybrid vehicles that use their gas/electric powertrain to boost engine performance as well as fuel economy. The result is significantly quicker acceleration coupled with cleaner emissions and a moderate increase in gas mileage, compared with their conventional versions. Its 22-mpg gas mileage is among the best we’ve gotten in a midsized SUV.

The Highlander Hybrid is an excellent overall package, but for drivers considering a hybrid to save money, it’s hard to build a dollars-and-cents case for it. First, this top-of-the-line model has an as-tested sticker price--$39,855--to match its extensive feature lists. That’s about $4,500 more than the conventional V6 Limited version we previously tested, which got 19 mpg overall. With a fuel-economy improvement of 3 mpg, the Highlander Hybrid can save more than $300 per year in fuel costs (assuming you drive 15,000 miles a year with gasoline costing around $3 a gallon). Even with those savings, it could take about 15 years to make up the initial price difference.

Overall, the Highlander provides an inviting blend of performance, fuel economy, comfort, and features for those who don’t mind paying extra. According to our 2005 subscriber survey, the Lexus 400h’s reliability has been excellent in the short time it’s been in owners’ hands. We expect the same from the Highlander Hybrid.

THE DRIVING EXPERIENCE

On the road the Highlander Hybrid differs little from its conventional cousin. It is a well-mannered, comfortable vehicle. The Highlander has a firm ride but soaks up bumpy roads well. It’s supple and steady on the highway. The Highlander is very quiet, with a bit of muted outside noise noticeable. When running in electric-only mode the powertrain is eerily silent, particularly at start up.

In corners the Highlander felt responsive but not particularly agile. Body lean is well-contained, and the electric steering feels normal and well-weighted. All-wheel-drive models use an independent electric motor to drive the rear wheels, which eliminates the conventional driveshaft and saves weight. On our track the SUV felt secure at its handling limits. The Highlander displayed good tire grip, and its ESC was well-calibrated, as it posted a relatively high maximum speed in our avoidance–maneuver.

Power comes from a 3.3-liter V6 coupled with three electric motors and a battery system to produce 268 hp. At up to 12 mph, and when reversing, the Highlander runs on electric power only. Acceleration is strong, just 7.8 seconds to 60 mph, on par with some V8s, but overall fuel economy is better than we’ve gotten with small four-cylinder SUVs. The standard continuously variable transmission is smooth and responsive. The Highlander quickly pulled our 3,500-pound trailer--its limit--to 60 mph in a relatively quick 15.2 seconds.

Braking performance was good, but the long stops trailed its conventional twin. This is likely because of low-rolling-resistance tires designed for less grip and better fuel economy. Wet-braking stops were not much longer, and the brake pedal felt normal, despite the hybrid’s regenerative braking system.

The Highlander’s low-beam headlights performed well, and high-beam performance was very good.

INSIDE THE CABIN

The interior is plush and well-detailed, with supple leather and chrome accents throughout. The view forward is good, and the rear view is mostly clear and unobstructed. The steering wheel has tilt adjustments but does not adjust fore and aft.

The front seats are firm and comfortable, with good back support. Taller drivers found the short seat cushion lacked thigh support. The rear seats are roomy enough for three adults, with ample knee and head room. The hybrid Highlander has better thigh support than the conventional gas-only version because the battery pack, stored under the rear seat, elevates the cushion. The lack of a rear driveshaft results in a flat second-row floor. Our Highlander had a third-row seat, but it is mainly for childre
    The cushion is very low and leg room is non-existent.

Front-seat and second-row access through the wide door openings is very easy. It’s quite a challenge, however, to access the Highlander’s third-row seat.

The controls and gauges are mostly straightforward and clear. A power-output display shows whether the gas engine, electric motor, or both are supplying power at any given time. The tachometer is replaced by a kilowatt meter. Minor gripes include a high step to the parking brake, a hidden power-mirror control, and a hard-to-reach dimmer switch.

Interior storage space is moderate. The Highlander offers 38.0 cubic-feet of cargo capacity with the 60/40-split second and 50/50-split third rows folded. A full-size spare tire is stored below the vehicle.

SAFETY NOTES

The rear head restraints need to be raised to provide adequate whiplash protection.

Driving with kids. The most secure fit for rear-facing child seats is with the LATCH system in the outboard second row. LATCH anchors are easily found in the Highlander. The Highlander’s third row lacks top tether anchors.
    As great and glowing as that review is . . . we know it's actually better (and coulda/shoulda/woulda been better than that).

First on MPG, I think I'd have a better shot of getting 40MPG than 16. I actually tried on a short run and I couldn't average 16 even up a hill. Even though we've argued about MPG, I think everyone belatedly comes onboard to the theory that MPG improves with time (wear-in\driving adaptation). I see everyone's numbers improving and almost everyone's north of 25MPG now.

The text must be wrong in 0-60 as 7.8 because the table shows 7.4. Several car mags got the HH to 60 in under 7 secs. And I have, too. The trick is to have the engine running first. That means braking and revving before accelerating.

So, the HH is the first midsize SUV to get top rating and we know it’s better than tested . . . but could’ve been better and greener. The 4cyl should’ve at least been an option.

I think we should set ourselves a task of finding a way to fooling the HH into thinking the CC is always warm enough. Probably a thermostat there.
  • Check out this web site for lots of information on the Highlander.
    http://toyotaiguide.com/

Mike
    Great post!
    I have not seen an on-line multi-media training course outside the S/W or engineering related industry yet, this is great!
    I'm filling the tires to 85psi with helium.

But you need the rear spoiler for this (to keep the car on the ground).

:-)
    I was just talked to my elderly (and sometimes forgetful) dad who said on CBS evening news last night they were specifically talking about the HH and gas prices AND that there was now a one year waiting list for them. I tried to check out the website at CBS and couldn't find it but I didn't search too diligently or too long. Did anyone see it?

I did get my new Consumer Reports today.

mmreid
    Wow - would love to know how you found it. . .anyway, thanks a bunch. Glad to know my 88 year old dad isn't losing his marbles totally (I wasn't sure he really saw it last night. . .)

mmreid