Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Humphrey Uti's 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon

humphrey_utihumphrey_uti Member Posts: 10
edited December 2015 in Mazda
I would like to offer a glimpse of what it is like to own one of the best used cars money can buy.

I have owned this car since June 2014, and still love it to this day. After graduating from high school in May 2014, my parents had decided to get me something a bit more reliable to drive to college in, since it is a three-hour trek each way from Nashville, Tennessee to Carbondale, Illinois.

I originally had my eyes set on a W203 Mercedes-Benz C-Class, but, coming from a Volvo beforehand, I chose to get something that would cost less in maintenance.

One day, while browsing through Craigslist, I came across my 2004 Mazda. The car looked excellent in the pictures, but there was one drawback--it had 197,000 miles at the time, but my parents and I still went to look at it. The car was perfect.

Remember 10 years ago when Mazda's tag-line was "Zoom-Zoom?" They were NOT lying. I would have to say, the engine and the Bose stereo are what sold me. The V6 engine is very smooth, and provides effortless passing and merging power, whether you're navigating city streets or open highways. The Bose system packs a punch with the bass it provides at all sound levels.

Since purchasing the vehicle, I have put a little over 20,000 miles on it--it currently has 220,000. These miles have been relatively trouble-free for a car that has this many miles. The only routine work that has been done since my inception of the vehicle have been synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles, an engine air filter, two cabin filters, and a coolant service. The total cost of all of these maintenance items is less than $500. The only major expense the car has had is a new set of tires, which were Dunlop Signature II's and came out to around $500.

On the downside, the oil light flickers after the engine warms up, due to a small leak around some of the rubber seals on the oil pan and timing cover. I check the oil level every week, and generally do not even have to add any oil between changes. The check engine light also comes on and off, due to the catalytic converter (a common problem on V6 Mazda 6's).

I will continue to keep you updated on my ownership experience!
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice "gamble" on a miled up used car. Curious if this was a one owner and whether you were able to see any maintenance records or if you got an AutoCheck/Carfax or a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic.

This model sure won a lot of awards when it was introduced.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Pretty sweet ride. Love wagons.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• humphrey_utihumphrey_uti Member Posts: 10
    stever said:

Nice "gamble" on a miled up used car. Curious if this was a one owner and whether you were able to see any maintenance records or if you got an AutoCheck/Carfax or a pre-purchase inspection by your own mechanic.

This model sure won a lot of awards when it was introduced.

I believe the car had two previous owners, and I purchased it from someone that flips cars. I was able to see a CarFax report from the seller and it showed a lot of regular dealer maintenance for the first 120,000 miles, and then Valvoline oil changes afterwards. I also got it inspected before I purchased it. The mechanic said it was in great condition for its age, besides needing a new water pump, which the seller paid for.
    kyfdx said:

Thank you! I completely agree!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I believe the car had two previous owners, and I purchased it from someone that flips cars. I was able to see a CarFax report from the seller and it showed a lot of regular dealer maintenance for the first 120,000 miles, and then Valvoline oil changes afterwards. I also got it inspected before I purchased it. The mechanic said it was in great condition for its age, besides needing a new water pump, which the seller paid for.

Always nice to read posts where people did their homework. :)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

kyfdx said:

Thank you! I completely agree!
    I've sort of turned into a hatchback guy, but wagons work too! I do miss my pickup truck, so my cars need to have at least a bit of cargo capacity B)
  • mantis2073mantis2073 Member Posts: 3
    My wife drives a 2004 Mazda 6i 4 cylinder 4 speed auto that we purchased new. It just turned 87,000 miles, with a thermostat replacement the only repair during that time. Prior to this car, we were all Honda all the time, but we loved the styling of the 6 and decided to give Mazda a chance. The only downside has been city mpg, which is normally in the 20 - 22 range. We recently completed 2,000 miles over 5 days from Vancouver, WA to Salt Lake City, UT and back while averaging 33 mpg, so it is a terrific highway car with typically awesome Mazda handling. We hope to keep this car for many years to come.
    edited January 2016
    Today, I went to my local Mazda dealer for my Mazda 6's 220,000 mile service. This was a simple service--just an oil change and transmission fluid drain and fill.

I checked in at 10AM, and the car was done around 12:30. When my service advisor walked over to me to give me a summary of all the services that were done, and other things the technician found, he informed me that:

1. The valve cover gaskets are leaking, which is most likely the culprit of the Low Oil Pressure light flickering. The cost to repair this is somewhere around $450.
    2. The front running lights and fog lights are burnt out. The cost to replace the bulbs is $82.04.
    3. The right front drive axle is beginning to leak, which should not be anything to worry about until a popping sound is heard when driving. The cost to replace is $561.89.
    4. The water pump has a slow leak. However, before I purchased this car in June 2014, the water pump was agreed upon to be replaced before the transaction was complete. The cost to replace is $551.18, but the advisor admitted I could have it done at an independent shop for a lesser cost.
    5. The lower engine mount is broken. The cost to replace is $187.45.

Total out-of-pocket today was $203.49. $39.99 for the synthetic oil change, and $138.77 for the transmission drain and fill.

All in all, there are a few things that do need to be taken care of, and thankfully they do not total to an excessive amount. However, they will be taken care of one at a time.
  • ducky10ducky10 Member Posts: 27
    I had a 2006 Mazda6 (GT v6 with 6 speed automatic)wagon which I liked a lot but for uncomfortable front seats, a tendency to follow ruts on freeway, and fuel economy of no better than 24 mpg.
    I was told by the dealer that the 05 and earlier v6 automatics had an unreliable transmission. Not sure if he was as correct or just trying to sell me an 06. It seems like it was a good idea for you to get the transmission serviced in any event.
    The 6 wagon was, overall, a sweet reliable car which I miss. I put a rear sway bar on it with the 18 inch wheels from the Speed 6. It made for lively handling to say the least. One of the best looking wagons in my view. Still see it driving around town...