Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got a Quick, Technical Question?

1181182183184185187»

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,341
    Duralene is made by United Oil Co. & been in business since the early 20's.

Adding less than a pint of Castrol would be a no worry. If it is down less than 1/2 a quart, I would check the level after sitting all night to get a better reading.
  • I now own a toyota 98 corolla--clock radio and lighter are out. Looked under hood fusebox and seem like all fuses ok Is there another fusebox under dash? cant see it. What else could interrupt circuit? everything else working rbillieux
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,641
    Yes there should be one at the driver's side lower kick panel and maybe another under the dash finish panel (under steering wheel area). The "book" is a little vague but definitely there are fuses in those areas. Cigarette lighter is #19. the radio might have an inline fuse.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• fixit16fixit16 Posts: 6

2010 Malibu ignition key will not turn to off position. Dome light stays on, car does go all the way into park

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,458

@fixit16 said: 2010 Malibu ignition key will not turn to off position. Dome light stays on, car does go all the way into park

This sounds a little like some problems with other cars where the ignition switch is not acting right. That's the swtich, not the ignition lock cylinder which is actually the key. Are you able to take the key out but the accessories seem to be staying on?

If so, you will want to disconnect the negative lead of the battery because it may be draining your battery with the ignition and computers being ON. Then reconnect the negative (- or black) lead when you are going to drive it for service.

• swharrellswharrell Posts: 6

Help ......... My 1998 Trooper shuts itself off just like you turn off the key when you put it in drive or reverse, then proceed ten feet or more ! It does not shut its self off when in park or neutral and you gun the engine

Its an auto / four wheel .... 1st mechanic put a new alternator in ... that was not the problem It has been with a 2nd mechanic for almost three weeks with no word on a solution

I'd take a long shot guess at the TCC --Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. Easy to test--unplug the solenoid at the transmission and if the symptoms go away---there you go.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ........ We will try it tomorrow .... I will let you know !

Thanks Again Mr. Shift, But ....... No cigar .... :( Any other thoughts ........ :) All Comments are Welcome ... :)

• nickimomnickimom Posts: 11

i have a 2004 hyundai elantra gt. tried to get it to pass inspection. did some work.obd system readiness status of catalytic converter is not ready. I have driven 96 miles. how many miles does it take for catalytic converter monitor to be ready

It's not a matter of miles as much as drive cycles. Some of these cycles are rather complex. First thing I'd do is check your state smog laws. Some states allow cars 2001 and newer to pass smog if one register is not set. Another idea is that even if you're getting a P0420 code, you could have a bad after-cat 02 sensor.

had codes. got them taken care of changed 02 sensors. now just waiting for obd system for catalytic converters to be ready. had 4 codes all cleared, no check engine light.

You might try idling the car for 20 minutes, then driving around, then bring it in.

edited July 24

that didn't do it,. went back to mechanic, he said drive it on my vacation. but....10 miles after leaving mechanic, check engine light came on... got it checked out at another place - catalytic converter. Guess it really needs replacement. Any idea of the cost.? 2004 Elantra GT.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,411

not sure of exactly which engine, but a quick look on RockAuto shows a bunch in the $150-$225 range. No clue about installation, but not normally that hard I don't think.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I think replacement universal cats are in the $400 range but yours is part of the exhaust manifold I believe, so I'm not sure there. By all means shop around--if you are in California, or if it's a California spec car, then you'll pay considerably more. I think the part from Hyundai is like $1000.