Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• My glovebox rattle turned out to be the air duct underneath the glovebox. Try putting some padding around it. You will have to lie on your back with a bright light to see what you are doing.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    That's what I am talking about and so is JD Powers. They have ALWAYS been dead-on. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner. :blush:

I have some MORE issues right now...the intermittent rough idle (mazda says's it's normal) it's worse now, the creaking brakes (mazda says's it's normal), the noisy window (supposedly fixed according to TSB but it's not), and now they creaking over speed bumps (mazda says's it's normal).

Mazda is LOW in the reliability department. For those that are lucky and dont have much problems, count your blessings as your experiences are NOT typical.

And Mazda has had over a year to iron out the kinks in their new models. The 05's are only negligibly better than the 04's. I suspect the 06's may be much better, but only time will tell.
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Response to message #2569 Sometimes I think manufactures come into these message boards disguised as an owner and post a VERY positive review trying to counter numerous negative comments and concerns, but I could be wrong. I live in Canada, southern Ontario, and during the summer it often gets to 90+, humid and sunny and I can tell you the A/C in my car sucks during those hot days. The dealer says it is up to Mazda's specs. I don't think a temp out the vents in the shade of 51F is cold enough to cool the car. Mazda sets the spec to match the output and says it's ok. Mazda excuses...black interior, large black dash and if I didn't have tints, untinted windows.
    With a black interior you would think they would make a kick [non-permissible content removed] A/C system.
    2005, GT, 2.3, Sedan, Tinted windows
  • Mazda is LOW in the reliability department. For those that are lucky and dont have much problems, count your blessings as your experiences are NOT typical. <<

Not according to Consumer Reports. Above average reliability for the 3, including the first year
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Consumer Reports - maybe they were rating the Mazda3's ability to make toast - the dash does get pretty hot!

I don't really cares what CR - JP Power or any of the car rags say - WHEN I KNOW FIRST HAND - because I have been fighting defects for almost 2 years now - that the Mazda3 has many many many issues -

Please don't try and use the excuse that my problems are a very small % of the cars sold because that means nothing to me or anyone that has a defective car. The way I look at it 100% of the people who bought a Mazada3 with a weak AC system have NOT had the defect fixed.

Would Mazda come out with a TSB if a very small number of cars have a problem? Hard to believe Mazda would say - two cars have a grinding brake problem - we need to issue a TSB ASAP! I don't know what the number of cars must be effected before Mazda issues a TSB - but it seems reasonable it would be in the thousands.

The Mazda3 is a nice little car - of all the econo boxes I tested it was the most fun to drive - by a wide margin - but please don't confuse fun to drive with reliability and good customer service after the sale.

Want a fun to drive car that doesn't cost a fortune - the Mazda3 should be on your short list - NEED a reliable car from a company that stands behind what they sell - then you should be looking some place else.
  • jmillsjmills Posts: 77
    No I am not a Manufacturer or in any way associated with Mazda.

In addition I do not appreciate complainers from Canada who suggest that I am.

It is certainly much warmer and more humid in Florida where I purchased my Mazda, and in Georgia where we live.

Our Mazda 3 5 door - Lava Orange - Automatic - with Black interior- cools very well and the AC does NOT suck.

Mazda has provided superb service and clearly produced an outstanding car, and Consumer Reports and Edmunds tests and evaluations support this.
    Several months ago when I was at the dealership the manager of the service / parts department told me that complaints (about the weak AC system) were common in sedan - but he did not see any problems with the hatchback. He felt it had something to do with the rear window area of the sedan allowing more direct sun light into the car. Which means a greater heat load.

I wonder if he could be right about this - most of the AC complaints on this board seem to be on the sedan - a few people who own the hatch are always piping up with how great their AC is. Always helpful to hear about cars that don't have any problems - so they don't need any solutions. Because if it wasn't for theses posts all we would ever see on this problems and solutions board would be problems and solutions.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    Does the hatchback have SUV type tinting standard on the rear windows and hatch?

Because, if not, he has this backwards... Wagons, hatches, SUVs, etc... ... get much hotter inside than sedans, if windows are tinted the same... You have a much larger glass area, and more inside space to cool...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Don't know about the tinting - but what he was talking about was the angle of the rear glass - the slope of the sedan's rear glass catches more sun - the hatch is more vertical.

Since we have several sedan owners who seem to have AC problems - and no HB owners complaining (actually the HB owners seem VERY happy) it would seem like there may be something to this theory.
  • jmillsjmills Posts: 77
    Our Mazda3 hatchback does not appear to have any different tinting on the windows than the sedans I have seen in this area. I suppose that the slightly more vertical rear window could reduce the heatload.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    My low fuel light came on yesterday (I don't usually let it get down that low), so I went to get gas. It only took 11 gallons to fill. It is it right to get a warning when I have 3 gallons left? That's like 90 miles! BTW, my AC works great (orange hatch).
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I don't really cares what CR - JP Power or any of the car rags say - WHEN I KNOW FIRST HAND - because I have been fighting defects for almost 2 years now

Well, Bill, you're entitled to your personal opinion as are the rest of us. The value of Consumer Reports is that it collects individual opinions to propose a wider public evaluation. In the estimation of many (including myself), the Mazda3 is a reliable car. This is to be expected considering the Mazda3 is part of a long lineage going back several decades of reliable compact cars (GLC, 323, Protege) built by Mazda.

A recent issue of Consumer Reports showed that reliability in the first and second year of many brands (including Honda and Toyota) is lower compared to succeeding years. That does not surprise me. Which leads me to the assertion that the latest Mazda3 is likely the best so far. That's not because the earlier ones were unreliable but because it takes a while to work out the initial bugs of any new model.

Finally, going on a rant is a poor way of arguing one's case. In other words, keep cool. ;)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    If I refill when the needle is BELOW empty I still can only fit in 12.x gallons.

I did have the misfortune of having the car not start on an incline when I was below the empty; it still only took 12.x gallons though…
  • The low fuel light usually is used to let you know you need to refuel asap. However, that doesn't mean you're about to run out of fuel. Typically it means you have 1-2 gallons left of gas, enough milege supposedly to find a gas station. The user manual states that the tank can hold 14.5 gallons of gas, so it seems that when that light turns on, you have about 2 gallons or so left. Everytime I hit that light, I usually hit about 12 gallons on the refill.

The only reason I know this is because my old Protege'96 had the same statement in the manual. In the 1996 manual, it stated that I would have 1.5 gallons of gas left once that warning light turns on. I assumed it was the same with the Mazda3. The Protege would hold 11.5 gallons of gas, and I would typically need to refill 10 if I ever hit that light.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Bill, your opinion of Mazda, of course, is going to be based on your personal experience. Your personal experience, however, appears to be unusual compared to the vast majority of other consumers. When you say you don't care what Consumer Reports says, no doubt that is because they don't share your opinion; but how could they if the opinions from their 6 million subscribers say otherwise.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Please let's not have any "brand bashing" posts as these create conflich in the forums and also fill them up with posts which don't address the topic's main concerns.

thank you

Shifty the Host

• daryldaryl Posts: 41
    I recently forgot to fill up the night before when the low fuel went on, and my daughter and I drive another 35 miles before she noticed it. Had 325 on the trip odometer, and took 13.8 gallons. My mileage for that tank was an all-time low of 23.8, so with the usual 24.5 I could go a little further, but won't push it past the 325. That's close enough.
    As for the too many A/C postings, many from the same guy, I have an '04 hatch built in May that year, Winning Blue with blue cloth, and the A/C is just fine.
    The bicycle topic. Fitting a bike in back was a huge consideration and with the front wheel off my bikes fit in easily.
    Daryl
  • On a side note, I've heard that running below E on the gas meter is bad for some fuel pumps, because they use the gas in the tank as a coolant. By setting up E to correspond with 1.5 to 2 gallons left in the tank, it keeps enough fuel in the tank to keep the pump from running hotter than intended.
  • then the possibility that someone from honda or nissan is coming in here under the guise of being a 3 owner and completely trashing the car and the dealer may exist as well....get over yourself..
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    For a more enjoyable forum, try not to engage in "brand-bashing", crusades against a car company, and/or making repetitious posts on the same unresolved and/or unfixable issues.

Problems without remedy suffered by profoundly dissastisfied owners should probably be taken up with an attorney/lemon lawyer, not here.

Avoid spinning your wheels in other words.

Thank you

Host