Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• energyzer8energyzer8 Posts: 6
    What year is your Mazda and how many miles?
  • eineejeineej Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    My mazda 3 is a 2005 and has 77,000 miles.
  • dfurnierdfurnier Posts: 26
    We have a Grand Touring auto hatchback. Took it to the dealer (recently picked up Mazda) to have it replaced. After two hours, they told me they tore it apart and it had no provision to have one, so they put it back together. Do only some have them?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,891
    Yeah you have one. Right side, behind passenger junction box and kick panel. Part is about $35, labor .3 of one hour.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,504
    I'd definitely find another dealer. That one sounds dangerously inept.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• anayaelfanayaelf Posts: 8
    I recently traded in my 2007 Mazda 3 to a 2010 Mazda 3. I loved my old car but I wanted a newer model. What a mistake I made.

As soon as I drove off the lot, I noticed my speakers were not working I turned back around and took it back to the dealership and they said it was the fuse. So I took it to the service station the following week and they told me my amplifier was defective and they ordered a new one for me. A week later, I got it installed. About 4 days later, I get into the car and the battery is dead. I have to wait another few days until the weekend to take it back to the service station. They replaced the battery same day. Then I wake up early 4 days later, park the car in front of my house while I went on a 3 day school trip with my daughter. I return 3 days later and get into my car, the battery is dead again. I take it into the service station (this is right at the start of the Memorial Day weekend) and they tell me the car should be fixed by Wednesday, June 2. Mind you, this is May 29th at this point. I am waiting for my car now.

Oh, did I tell you I purchased this car on May 1, 2010. I have had it only a month and I have spent every Saturday at my service station because of this car.
  • saaksaak Posts: 9
    I don't know about the speakers, but if you have non-Mazda electronic accessories hooked up to your car (such as a scan guage) that could be causing your battery to drain when the vehicle is parked several days without being driven.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Posts: 126
    I have a 2009 model and I love mine. I did have to take it in for several things. One was the fabric of the seat, which was defective. and then my power steering pump failed after one year, but they replaced it for free. Apparently that is a common problem.
    I don't know about the 2010 models, personally I don't like them except for the hatchback model which is sharp looking.
    Sorry about the problems you are having, but good thing that it is not engine related. Something is draining your battery for sure, and they need to find out what is causing it.
    Thanks for the replies. As for having something connected in the car, I don't. I don't keep anything plugged in. The only thing I plug into the car is my iPod and I take that out when I leave the car. I already had one car broken into because I left another cheap mp3 player in the car.
  • I feel your pain. Bought my Mazda 3 5-door in April and have had numerous problems: It idles a little rough - the steering wheel vibrates whenever I'm stopped at a traffic light. Noticed idle on the second day of driving it. In addition, the glove box rattled. Took it back and was told rough idle was normal and they stuck little "soundproofing" pads inside the glove box.

Now there is a loud squeak coming from somewhere in the rear hatch area, the center console lid rattles sometimes, passenger window rattles when it's partially down, instrument dials sometimes rattle... Really it's like the car was put together with Elmer's glue.

Since Mazda has said nothing is wrong with my car, I feel like I'm stuck with what could be a lemon, but you should definitely look into your state's lemon laws. You may qualify.
    I am so sorry about what you are going through with you Mazda 3. I know it would drive me crazy if my car was rattling.

Well, I did look up my state's lemon laws (the second time the battery died). It says that if the same problem happens after the second time it is fixed by the dealership then I have to contact the manufacturer about my problem. I have to show them proof of the attempts to fix and then see if they will (1) try to fix the problem themself (they have one attempt to do it), (2) give me my money back or give me a new car or (3) they can decide to take me to administrative lemon law court and battle it out. So I have my 2 attempts down, let's see what happens next. My car is still in the shop as of today. I have been trying to reach them to find out about my car.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I guess we should keep our 2007 a little longer...42,000 miles and no problems so far, just a set of new tires and routine maintenance. I personally like the styling better than the 2010 models also.
  • crybickcrybick Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 Mazda3 that I bought in February. Love the car, have had no problems with it whatsoever, EXCEPT my sunroof has leaked. At first it happened when I took it through a touchless carwash, so I reckoned it's understandable that it leaked under the high pressure spray. But this morning I was driving in a heavy rainstorm here in Mississippi and after reaching up and feeling the back of the sunroof I felt moisture. Surely it shouldn't leak in the rain?

I took it to Hiley Mazda in Huntsville, Alabama after the first time it leaked and the rude service manager (after warning me that I would have to pay if they found leaves in the sunroof track?) said they'd look at it. According to him there was nothing wrong with my sunroof.

My mom has a 14 year old Honda Civic with a sunroof, and it's NEVER leaked. But I notice that her old Honda has a raised rubber seal around the sunroof while my Mazda is flush in order to look "cool." Anyone else ever have a sunroof leak?
  • Hello! I currently own a mazda, BUT had this exact problem with a brand new toyota corrolla I owned a few years ago. (it was a flush sunroof as well) and there are drain tubes around the sun roof. At the factory, one of the tubes was not attached and it caused it to leak on my head in heavy rain, etc. It was a simple problem and a simple fix. So, I would mention this to Mazda and tell them to fix it ASAP considering it is a brand new car. Good luck!
    Well, I haven't had my Mazda 3 that long and I can't remember if it rained the days I did have it (it is still in the shop with the battery problem from an earlier post). But I will be sure to keep an eye on my sunroof when it rains to see if it leaks and I will let you know.
    I had a Honda Accord for 12 years, it had a sunroof. It started leaking just very little after I had it for about 8 years, and the moisture ruined the interior roof of the car and the fabric started to come off. Prior to that, I had a Toyota Corolla with a sunroof which I never had any problems at all, and I had that car for 10 years. If you are involved in an accident, the chances of your sunroof leaking will increase.

But with a sunroof, this is a risk for sure. When I traded in my Honda for a Mazda, I decided not to get a sunroof because I don't want to have to worry about it.
    I also had a 2007 Mazda 3 with a sunroof. I don't remember if it was flush to the ceiling but I never had a leak problem with it.
    When I traded in my Honda for a Mazda, I decided not to get a sunroof because I don't want to have to worry about it.

Not to mention that it adds @60 lbs. of weight to the highest point in the car. I'm so glad my MS3 didn't come with a hole in the roof.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• zbeckerszbeckers Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 mazda3 with 95,000 miles (standard).

My check engine light comes on and off all the time. Everytime i have it checked out the only thing they can figure out is that it is an "engine misfire".

After dealing with a blown gastic head for $1,500, now i am going to have to spend even more money to figure out exactly what the engine mis-fire is because my car won't pass inspection.

This will be the last car i by with mazda. I got the 3 over the civic but wish i had gotten the civic. The car sits too low the ground and scraps everything and the splash guard is a joke. It started falling apart within the first year. GRRRR
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    wish i had gotten the civic. The car sits too low the ground and scraps everything and the splash guard is a joke.
    This is the first time I have heard that the Mazda3 sits too low. Does the Civic sit much higher than the Mazda3? Was your Mazda3r lowered as part of a modification?

blown gastic head
    Did you mean a head gasket? Were engine components modified?
  • cc475cc475 Posts: 7
    I am trying to find out if the Mazda 3 2.0 and Mazda 3 2.5 models have different oil filter types.

I noticed that the older 2.3 had the cannister type (with replaceable core) and the 2.0 has the standard one-piece type filter.

Can anyone provide an answer on this topic?

Thanks. :)
    This is the first time I have heard that the Mazda3 sits too low. Does the Civic sit much higher than the Mazda3? Was your Mazda3r lowered as part of a modification?

My 2007 MS3 sits lower than a standard 3 but the only thing I've scuffed up is the black spoiler lip. Of course, I do use common sense when negotiating speed bumps or maneuvering in the vicinity of high curbing. I can't imagine you would have any problem with a regular 3.

edited June 2010
    I do use common sense when negotiating speed bumps

Wise man. I sped over a speed bump once and wrecked my power steering which proved to be a costly lesson. :(
    I have never had a car to get cracks on windshield so easily.
    It seems that my Mazda3's windshield can't handle any small rocks and sand. I have 3 cracks already and one of them is about 8 in long within 6 mos!! and I only had the car for about a year. Anyone else experience this? I have no choice but to replace it before my inspection time arrives.
  • moozmoozmoozmooz Posts: 3
    I had a fair size rock hit mine recently and never made a scratch. I thought for sure there would be some damage.
    edited July 2010
    3 cracks already ,,, within 6 mos!!
    Some people have all the luck ... not.
    I had two flat tires within a month. I was driving through the parking lot of a hardware store and must have been hitting nails coming off a supply truck. Once I figured out the source of the problem, I just avoided driving there and bingo, no more flats.

Here's hoping you have better luck in the future.
  • valent39valent39 Posts: 5
    Usually, the windshield replacement is covered by your insurance - don't wait....
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Some insurance companies will waive the comprehensive deductible, if you opt for repair of windshield chips, rather than replacement.
    Too late. One of the crack turned into a 2-in long crack within 2 days, and now it is 8 inches long and splitting into two directions. I can't repair it and it has to be replaced.
    I also have $500 deductible so I might as well pay out of pocket. How much do you think it will cost to replace it?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    sonnyrocker, check your policy again or call your agent. Most policies provide full glass replacement coverage (or have a much lower deductible on it) even though a higher deductible otherwise applies to Comprehensive coverage.