Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    CR surveys their own readership aka subscribers. They don't survey others. Using the analogy, ask a Democrat who will make the best president, they will tell you another democrat. That's the problem with CR's survey.

dc_driver, it still sounds like you folks have the auto climate control model or have 2006 versions. i live in the west coast of Canada and it sure doesn't get too hot where I am. The inadequate cooling is common complaint about the A/C, not just in Canada. Our models are different than your Amercians, that's for sure. People have pretty much given up on Mazda in this regard. Everytime they go to the dealer they mention the problem but nothing is done, it performs within spec (well the spec is wrong). In other cases, they are oblivious and think it's normal. I see everyday lots of 3's with excessively dirty rear wheels while the fronts are fine. The new pads that took care of this problem have been available since February.

Make no mistake, the A/C issue is genuine and common. It's just a coincidence that the people you know share the same opinion as you. Mazda Canada has issue a TSB on the A/C issue (not the diffuser plate). I got an email from my dealer today and the parts are on order. I will be the guinea pig as far as the install goes...I am not sure if I like that.

Anyhow, I have no other explanation on why you're A/C is ok and those that you kow,other than what I have previously stated. Everyone I know, everywhere I read, whomever has a 3, either has a problem with their non auto climate controlled A/C or uses natural air conditioning: rolling down their windows.

Consider yourself one of the few lucky one's if you dont have the auto climate version, and don't forget, go buy a lottery ticket. :shades:
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Isn't it amazing that their is 4 owners of the Mazda 3 working at the same place as you...Spent 4 weeks in Florida last year and in total saw only 10 Mazda 3. While in Canada I can see at least 2 to 3 at our large mall parking lot at any one time. Canada sells more M3 than in the U.S. You have a right to defend the car, but WHY would or do you? IF my A/C was great I would post here and just say its ok, I wouldn't go on and on and on defending the car, it works end of story and not put down those who are having a problem. Could please post the links to the Toyota/Hyundai/Honda A/C issues you have mentioned.
    Wow you have spent your time checking who has posted more than once on this issue..who holds the record for the most posts?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    "Isn't it amazing that their is 4 owners of the Mazda 3 working at the same place as you..."

I work for a very large Fortune 500 company and the office I work out of has over 200 cars in the parking garage. I also work in the tech industry and there are a lot of younger folks employed in the company and the 3 seems to be pretty popular (mods?). So no, I do not find it strange that out of two hundred co-workers, four people own Mazda 3's. It's not like we are talking about some rare collectible here, the Mazda 3 is a big seller and a top pick by most auto sites and magazines (Edmunds included).

"You have a right to defend the car, but WHY would or do you? IF my A/C was great I would post here and just say its ok, I wouldn't go on and on and on defending the car, it works end of story and not put down those who are having a problem."

Just as you and a few others have the right to post over and over about the A/C issues, I have that same right to point out that this issue is not affecting EVERYONE as many of these posts are led to believe. There are many people shopping for cars that read these forums and folks who make broad statements to the effect that every Mazda 3 has weak A/C is simply false. So, if someone is shopping for a car and is concerned about the weak A/C posts (as was I) I recommend that you do a test drive and checkout the A/C for yourself.

"Could please post the links to the Toyota/Hyundai/Honda A/C issues you have mentioned."

I only commented that there are several posts in the 06 Civic board have complained about the A/C.

I have read every single professional review regarding the Mazda3 I could find and not one review mentioned anything about weak A/C. Don't you find that odd? If this issue is as huge as you and others are saying why has this not been

http://nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2006_Mazda_3&ReviewID=1813
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jedlicka.aspx?year=2006&make=Mazda&model=Mazda- - - - 3
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/Sedans_and_Coupes/2004_Mazda3.S1- - - - 80.A6380.html
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2329.shtml
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?ASSET_TYPE=Affiliate+Review%2CBuyin- - - - g+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile&revlogtype=17&section=reviews&makeid=30&modelid=7491&y- - - - ear=2006
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=49495&indcriteria=ASSET_TYPE-- - - - Affiliate+Review%2CBuying+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile%7CM-_30_%7CD-_7491_%7CY-_2006_- - - - %7CresultStructure-combined&makeid=30&modelid=7491&year=2006&myid=&revlogtype=19- - - - &section=reviews&mode=&aff=boston
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?revid=48763&indcriteria=ASSET_TYPE-- - - - Affiliate+Review%2CBuying+Guide%2CVehicle+Profile%7CM-_30_%7CD-_7491_%7CY-_2005_- - - - %7CresultStructure-combined&makeid=30&modelid=7491&year=2005&myid=&revlogtype=19- - - - &section=reviews&mode=&aff=boston
    http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazda/mazda3/100614382/researchlanding.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2003-11-26-mazda3_x.htm
    http://www.automotive.com/2004/12/mazda/mazda3/reviews/index.html
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/05mazda3.htm

Those are just a few.. Also, if you look at the user reviews on MSN, Yahoo, Edmunds, and Cars.com you will find the Mazda3 to be ranked at the very top. I would dare say that if the A/C issue was affecting the majority of Mazda 3's there would be a ton of negative reviews and bad feedback.

I really do believe that some folks are having some A/C issues. I am not denying that. But, this issue seems to be affecting only a small percentage of people. If Mazda cannot solve your problem sell your Mazda3. I have had two cars in my lifetime (Saturn SC2, VW Jetta VR6) that caused my a lot of problems and I sold them and moved on. There is a big demand for the Mazda3 right now, it is a good time to sell it and get something comparable that you are happier with.

No car is perfect. Go look at the message boards. Honda Civic's and Toyota Corollas have their share of problems too. If the dealer/Mazda cannot solve your issues try one of the other manufacturers out.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    CR surveys their own readership aka subscribers. They don't survey others. Using the analogy, ask a Democrat who will make the best president, they will tell you another democrat. That's the problem with CR's survey. "

I don't get your analogy. There are cars rated poorly in CR, and cars rated highly. Your analogy would mean they are all rated highly :confuse:

All it means is that the sample comnes from people who are, in general, concerned about reliability (which is CR's bread and butter). What's wrong with that?
    ex tdier,

Let me get this straight. You live in Vancouver, Canada and the major source of your annoyance with the Mazda3 is the air conditioning? I understand you have SOME hot days where it reaches the high 80's, low 90's, but (according to Wikipedia) your average temperature in the peak of summer is 22 degrees celsius (71.6 degrees fahrenheit).

Umm, isn't that kind of like someone in Arizona complaining about how the Mazda 3 handles in snow? Be honest, how big of an issue is this in reality? The temperature this morning outside on my commute to work was 76 degrees with about 90% humidity. I had my A/C set to 1 and my ambient temperature was 72 degrees in my car (almost a little too cold for my liking). Our temperatures have been in the mid to high 80's this past week with about 90% humidity and I have been very comfortable with my setting between 1 and 2.

Like I said, there are hundreds of user and professional reviews out there and the Mazda 3 ranks very high. I researched this car to death, and I did not find any data to support your theory that nearly every Mazda 3 has A/C issues. I do believe that some folks are having issues, and that they should either work through Mazda or, if it bothers them enough, sell the car and get something different.

This is my twelfth car that I have purchased in my relatively short driving life (15 years of driving) and every car that I have owned has had one issue or another. Some were very minor. Some were very major. Such is life.

I appreciate the fact that you and others have posted about this issue and raised attention. Believe me, I really looked for this issue when I was cross shopping the Honda Civic, Mazda 3, and Toyota Corolla. To me, it was a non-issue. That said, your point is noted, and there is a specific thread dedicated to this A/C issue. I think that is the place to keep discussing this versus all the other forums where you and others continue to post. I mean this topic (A/C issues) seems to creep up in every Mazda3 board.
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I am constantly scrubbing my rear rims (brake dust). It's not a huge deal, but is there a TSB for this. I am assuming when I get new brake pads (when due) this problem will go away. Has anyone addressed this problem with a dealer? What was the result?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    I am constantly scrubbing my rear rims (brake dust). It's not a huge deal, but is there a TSB for this. I am assuming when I get new brake pads (when due) this problem will go away. Has anyone addressed this problem with a dealer? What was the result? "

Cars with good brakes (which the Mazda has) generally have more brake dust. It is a little strange that it is more in the back than front, but it's not an issue for me (especially with easy to clean 5 spoke wheels). It was 10 times worse on my Saab
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I had my rear rotors and pads replaced - rotors were defective - pads were worn out - around 15K miles.

This completely solved my grinding brake problem - but Mazda would not allow the dealer to install the "new" pad that reduces the brake dust. This seemed strange - why install the old pad that is a known problem? Dealer said if they replaced the rotor they had to use the old brake pads - or I could buy the rotor and they would replace the brake pad with the new style. My choice.

I went with the no cost option - so I still have the brake dust on the rear - not as bad as before.

My only minor complaint at this point is if I go through an automatic car wash - even if I get the so called tire & wheel cleaner option - the rear wheels are still coverd in dust - so when I get home I still need to clean them. Which kind of defeats the main reason to use the automatic car wash in the first place.
    My 06 Honda Odyssey has the same issue, as did my 02 Altima before it. I think I am just used to it by now..

When I switched to ceramic brake pads on my Altima the problem was much better.

Agree that the wheels are easy to clean on the 3, my 99 Jetta was really hard to clean...
    "My only minor complaint at this point is if I go through an automatic car wash - even if I get the so called tire & wheel cleaner option - the rear wheels are still coverd in dust - so when I get home I still need to clean them. Which kind of defeats the main reason to use the automatic car wash in the first place."

Haha.. I was just thinking the same thing last week when I took my Odyssey through the car wash...

From here on out I am just going to save the $2 and clean the wheels myself..
    When were all these test drives done? Spring? summer? what was the outside temp? Sunny, humid? Any car review I have read makes no mention of the cars A/C performance. All we want to hear is how fast, how sporty, handling, horsepower, torque, braking, comfort, etc, thats all these reviews do. Car of the year means nothing when it comes to reliability. Who cares about the wipers, headlights,heater A/C , etc so no mention of them....didn't take you long to post all the reviews, you must eat breath and .... Mazda :P
    Not sure when the reviews were done, but the fact remains that I have yet to come across a professional review where they complained about the A/C.

Again, what about the hundreds of user reviews on MSN, Edmunds, Yahoo, cars.com? Do these not count? The fact that the Mazda 3 gets rave reviews and satisfaction ratings from the folks who have purchased it means nothing to you?

As for Mazda, out of twelve vehicles that I have owned in the last 15 years, this is my fourth. For the price that I paid for it, the performance, the features, and (hopefully) the MPG I am quite happy since this is strictly a commuter car. I have had very good luck with all of the Mazda vehicles I have owned (except for my first RX-7 which was totalled in an accident) I have purchased and have had great dealer service. That said, none of the vehicles that I have owned have been problem free. Every one of them, at one point or another, required warranty work. I actually go out of my way to be nice to a dealers service department and not be visibly upset or confrontational. My 2002 Nissan Altima SE had (what it seems like) about a dozen recalls and I always tried to have a great attitude with the service team..

nifty56, sell your 3 and get a Corolla.. Life is too short to get this worked up over weak A/C...
  • heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    It has been mentioned before, but the Mazda3 is selling like crazy, during the summer, in Dallas. You might have heard, but gets hot here -- we started bouncing off 100 regularly in May this year.

How do you explain that?
  • dridedride Posts: 139
    I agree, the brakes are superior. Doing a little extra cleaning is worth the price of strong brakes. I just find it strange that the front wheels have considerably less dust than the rear. Thanks for the input!
  • yu203964yu203964 Posts: 35
    It's not because of the strong brakes produces more dust. It's because the materials of pads are not good. After Mazda changed to use the new pads, the dust reduced a lot. I got all four rotors and pads changed under a TSB called Brake Rotor Grooved. If you want to know if you can claim under any TSB, you can check this site:
    http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/bulletins_index.html
    Can't explain it? Do you work for a Mazda dealer, how would you know about how the car is selling in Dallas. I have no idea how the cars are selling in my city, how do I find out????
  • heel2toeheel2toe Posts: 149
    I've talked to sales staff at five different area Mazda dealerships in DFW about the Mazda3 in the past month while shopping for my recently-purchased Mazda6. Unless they are all lying, it is selling like hotcakes. (I'd be happy to give you a name of an elderly gentleman who claims to have never seen a car sell like the 3 in his 25+ years of selling cars...)

And were it not selling, why would they be lying about it? If, as you claim, Mazda has deliberately failed to fix a three year issue with the car that would brutally impact Texas sales, wouldn't these dealer employees be absolutely livid?

You can track Mazda inventory at mazdausa.com. The last six digits of the VIN represent the build number across the lifetime of the 3. I've been watching for a particular color combination -- it's pretty easy to see that supply has been low and that the cars are not sitting around for long...
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Posts: 27
    i have a 2006 mazda3 s grand touring with a 2.3L engine. after experimenting for a couple of weeks i find theres a problem with the gas mileage. my mother has a mazda MPV minivan and she drives 40 miles a day everyday.it takes about a week for her tank to get to empty. i drive at maximum 25 miles a day.after filling up on a sunday with super fuel i ended up with an empty tank today wednesday, 3 days later. then after calculating by dividing the total tank mileage( about 380 miles) by 4 days i should get 95 miles a day. i probably sound very confusing by now but in short words i should get a lot more days on gas than my mothers minivan especially when the mazda 3 has a larger MPG rating. has anyone had this problem or has an idea of what it might before go running to the dealer?????
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    dc_driver, without getting into the A/C debate in this thread. the A/C is so poor, it can't keep up in the 22C temps. again, as posted previously, many variables at play here if you have a bad a/c or not.

mrblonde, consult a statistician or a high school math teacher and ask/him or her why CR's ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. CR is typically used as an example in how the ratings are skewed. BTW, this topic was also brought up in a Mazda forum and anyone with half a sense won't put any faith in CR's ratings.