Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    yeah, some 3's have crappy mileage. it's probably not your driving. some have reported better mpg after about 5000 miles.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    It's not because of the strong brakes produces more dust. It's because the materials of pads are not good. "

In general, better stopping power requires softer pads = more dust. Look at the front wheels of all the european cars (those which haven't been cleaned in the past week, anyway)...
    Mazda has deliberately failed to fix a three year issue"

2 year. Whatever they did to the 2006's, it's fixed...
    mrblonde, consult a statistician or a high school math teacher and ask/him or her why CR's ratings should be taken with a grain of salt. CR is typically used as an example in how the ratings are skewed. BTW, this topic was also brought up in a Mazda forum and anyone with half a sense won't put any faith in CR's ratings. "

For me personally, the cars that I have had are accurately portrayed for reliability in CR. Every one. So I can only go by my own experience. Maybe their methodology isn't statistically sound, but in my experience it lines up with real life data

You still didn't answer why JD Power is not prone to the same skewing...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    We're getting off topic here I think. If you'd like to bat around JD Power, we have a topic just for that:

JD Power: 2006 Initial Quality Results

Thanks,

Host

• nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    Thanks...Mazda seems to be near the bottom but the results don't really show a break down of the models.
  • gib11gib11 Posts: 47
    You cant compared the MPV mileage with the MZ3, the MPV has 75 liters tank of gaz compared to 55 liter for the MZ3.
  • ecm56ecm56 Posts: 16
    I've got about 10K miles on my Mazda 3 now.

A/C works great - we've had 90+ degree days and it'll freeze me if I don't cut it back.

Rear wheel brake dust - I just spray the wheels with a wheel cleaner before going through the carwash - works great.

Mileage - highway 37, around town (with A/C on) about 30.

Complaints - I wish it had variable speed intermittent wipers.

Another happy 3 owner.

Eric
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Where do you live ecm56? Ditto here with my Mazda3i Touring. No problems with A/C gas mileage seems to be inline with EPA estimates, and I agree, intermittent wipers should have been added (and boy have I been using my wipers a lot lately here in Northern VA...)

I still cannot believe this car cost 17K.. It is a blast to drive. The interior materials and fit and finish are more European than economy Mazda.. The manual shifts much more smoothly than most of previous cars that I have owned. I am counting the days until the car is fully broken-in so I can really open it up..
    37 miles per gallon on the highway, what size engine do you have? auto or manual? What year is your car? Manual or auto A/C?
  • yu203964yu203964 Posts: 35
    "In general, better stopping power requires softer pads = more dust. Look at the front wheels of all the european cars (those which haven't been cleaned in the past week, anyway)..."

So if it's not bad material quality, why the new pads have much fewer dust while with the same stopping power? :confuse:
    So if it's not bad material quality, why the new pads have much fewer dust while with the same stopping power?
    "

Are we sure it's the same stopping power?
    dc_driver...why do you care about who or what posters here are saying about the car, A/C etc. What is the point of where someone lives as to how we should feel the A/C should perform. Owners may travel to another part of the country or another, (south to California) that may be hot and humid and there is nothing more frustrating than being on holiday and suffering with a weak A/C we all paid good money for and expect to keep us comfortable.
    Go to the link that is posted at #2 and #3 in the A/C problems issue here and look at the poll. Get back to us and let us know what you think.
    Would the real Mazda 3 employees please stand up...me, still sitting.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    I think this issue has been beaten to death, and the dead horse's future lifetimes are taken care of as well.

Some posts were removed for "flaming". Please try to maintain courtesy toward other members at all times, and if you feel provoked, do not respond, just e-mail me.

Thank you and remember, you are here to enjoy yourselves.

Shifty the Host

2005 3i (2.0 litre), manual transmission, manual A/C.

I hope to get slightly better mileage as the engine loosens up a bit. My Honda Civic EX didn't start getting 40 MPG highway until after 20K miles.
    That's why Mazda hasn't fixed the A/C problem - all the employees are busy logging into the forums at Edmunds!

As John McEnroe used to say "You can't be serious".
    Is anybody noticing any paint peeling, rust around the center hub circumference on their 17" rims. My car has not seen winter, any snow, or salt and always garaged. It was stored for the winter. I was giving the car a wash, (noticed I didn't say my "baby") when I noticed some very slight bubbling and dark brown coloring around the center hub. Not serious at the moment but I can see this becoming serious after a while. Tires have not been off the car or rotated.
    Anybody else with a 04 or 05
    Thanks
  • yu203964yu203964 Posts: 35
    "Are we sure it's the same stopping power?"

No, I am not sure because I don't have that data. May be you can ask Mazda to provide. But I don't feel any difference in stopping power between the old and new. If Mazda is willing to replace the dusty ones with low dust ones, the new ones must be at least within the same spec as the old ones. So my logical conclusion is the old ones are not good enough. Therefore, they have to be replaced by better quality ones. If both can provide the same result, why do we have to tolerate the dust and the dirty wheels?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    Not disagreeing with you, but this issue (dust and dirty wheels) has affected me on most of my cars since 1998. My VW Jetta, Nissan Altima, Honda Odyssey, and Mazda 3 all do this.

When it was time to replace the brake pads, I put ceramic pads on the Altima and it helped a ton. They cost a little more, but are better pads.

Pretty sure I will replace the 3's pads with ceramic pads when the time comes.