Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    The headlight issue sounds to me like a wiring issue. Are you aware of any damage that may have occurred to the front end of the car before you owned it? Look at the area behind the lights to see if any of the wiring is damaged or dosent look right.

On a separate topic, have an 07 GT 4door 5-speed. When shifting i heard a weird clunking sound from what seems like below the drivers seat. Anyone had this issue before?
  • What year is your mazda? Mine is a 2007 and the light has come on twice in two months. They are replacing my emissions pump to fix the problem. I have only had the car two months so I hope this is not a similar problem that reoccurs often.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Also, I've read a number of posts related to brake grinding and other noises. Do the Mazda pads have the "wear indicators" found on other cars that give you an idea of when you really do need to get the pads replaced? To my ears from inside the vehicle, it sounds like the rear pads kind of rumble when braking and wondered if that was an indication of wear. There doesn't seem to be any substantial noise from outside the vehicle though. I'm guessing it could just be road noise but was curious what other owners thought

Mazda3 (and prior to that Proteges) have a known brake issue: the paads can lockup if rust develops. The remedy is to have your disc brakes periodically cleaned and lubricated. I have mine lubricated every 18 months and have been running on the same disc brakes for over 4.5 years (80,000 km / 50,000 miles)!

p.s. Lubricating your disc brakes is not particular to Mazda; it's recommended for anyone with disc brakes.
  • conallconall West TexasPosts: 91
    It is a 2004 with a 2.0 engine. It has only about 18k miles on it, though.
    It is still the most fun-to-drive economy car I've ever driven.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I am not an expert on brakes - but have never heard of lubricating your brake pads - can you explain what this is?

I know when you replace the pads a very small amount of lube (high temp grease) is put on the spot where the caliper contacts the BACK of the brake pad - but this has nothing to do with the rubbing sound you hear when you stop.

My Mazda3 had the grinding rear brakes - when I stepped on the brake it sounded like I was dragging concrete blocks behind the car. I first had my car in for this problem in February 2004 was told it was normal - about 2 years later Mazda came up with a fix for the grinding problem - it was a new brake pad - but by this time my rotors were worn out and needed to be replaced.

Not sure why it took so long for Mazda to figure out that something was wrong - but the replacement pads and new rotors solved the problem.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    MY dealer put something on my brakes, I can't recall the name of it...it prevented extra play in the calipers that caused clunking when backing up. I think it's something similar to anti-seize.
    lubricating your brake pads

It's not the pads :surprise: but the brake mechanism that gets cleaned and lubricated, i.e. the brake calipers and sliders holding the pads. Sorry for the confusion :blush:
  • aspen4aspen4 Posts: 22
    I have an 2004 Mazda 3,with the automatic and
    2.3 engine.
    My Engine Light came on once. Took it to the deal-
    er.Some sensor was bad. Never has a problem
    since.
    Brakes: Had lots of squeal and huge amounts of
    dust on back wheels.Took the car in and they
    replaced the pads. Now I am rid of the dust,
    but they squeal worse. they squeal only in
    cold weather,not when its warm. Anyone have an
    answer?

Car has run perfect otherwise.Have about
    16,000 miles on it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Our brakes make this noise usually in the morning when first backing out of the garage. We had the rear brake dust & grinding fixed with the new pads about 2 months after buying the car. Hate the noise, but still love the car. Looking to get new sneakers, as the wear bars are showing on the Toyos with close to 23k on the odo. The dealer seems to have very competitive prices on their tires also. Will be making a decision when we do the oil change @ 24k miles.

The Sandman :)
  • I'm seriously considering buying a new Mazda3 next week and would appreciate some help with understanding the 3's "stalling problem". After sifting through numerous posts here describing a continuing Mazda3 stalling problem, I still can't get a handle on how broad an issue this is. Is it affecting only the 2.0, or the 2.3 engine, or both, 3's with manual tranny's, or automatic, or both? Has the problem has been resolved in the 07's or is it continuing? Has it been a problem with the Mazda6 as well? Thanks!
  • hey there...well you probably cant get a handle on whats the exact problem because no one knows. basically the car just stalls. it happpened to me in summer, always when i was at a red light and was switching from break to gas pedal to go...so basically at idle or very low mileage. mazda claims they know there's a problem, but don't know how to fix it (i dont believe that too much. so nothing can be done til a)they figure it out, or b) they decide to put a recall cause they actually want to fix it.

i have a automatic 2.0 touring edition (only a few hundred made throughout north america). mine exclusively came with a special option...stalling! i believe that they probably just made a bad batch. now that winter has come and since the last time i went to the dealership, i havent had the poblem reoccur...besides that, the car is great. im not knocking mazda, cause they generally make good cars, unfortunately with the occasional lemon. so having the problem in the new 07 m3 really depends on whether, at prodution, they know what the problem is or not...after that, its a russian roulette...lemon or not.

hope i helped!
  • Ok, the 2.0 with automatic transmission ... thats one combo! zoomgirl, this will be the 4th Mazda I've owned over the past 20 years. I've loved them all except the one I bought used back in the 80's. It turned out to have engine timing problems that I was never able to resolve, however, it had over 130,000 miles on it when I got it. I'm getting the 2007 3i 2.0 touring with a manual transmission. Thanks for the info!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    A number of auto part stores will read the codes for free. I know Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys do it for sure. AA prints it out for you.
  • I bought a 2006 Mazda 3 2.0 automatic in May. Approx 10 times the car has sputtered heavily as if the engine is going to turn off. So far, this has only happened while idling at red light or at low speed. Once, the engine stalled completely - no sputter that time - at a red light. I have put a lot of highway miles on the car and so far no problems when in top gear.

Dealership says there were no "codes", they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After that conversation, they did admit it is a known problem with the purge valve. They claim a fix is coming out in mid-December, but I am doubtful as others here mentioned the same thing earlier this year. I am somewhat suspicious that it is just a way to get you out of the service department.

All that said, I actually like everything else about the car! I just hope they can get this fixed!!
    Dealership says there were no "codes", they couldn't find anything wrong with it. After that conversation, they did admit it is a known problem with the purge valve. They claim a fix is coming out in mid-December, but I am doubtful

Have the problem documented by the dealership so that you have a history in case the problem reoccurs. While under warranty there shouldn't be any cost involved for you. Have you considered getting a second opinion from another dealership?
    I have a 2007 3 GT 2.3 5-speed. I only have about 2500 miles on it but i have had no issues at all with stalling or sputtering.
    have had no issues at all with stalling or sputtering

Good show! Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out for everyone. So, the thing to remember is to keep a written record. That includes your dealings with dealers, independent garages, service representatives.

I'm very happy with my 2002 Mazda Protege5. It's had no issues during the original 3 year warranty. This year, the EGR unfortunately gave way which cost me a few dollars. There was also some rust, which I had negotiated to have corrected with my dealer. On the whole, the car has been very reliable and economical to run.
  • Ok! I drove off in a new 2007 3i touring 5MT today, have already bought the tag and the insurance, have 64 miles on the car ... and guess what!!!! NO PROBLEMS SO FAR! I Asked my salesman and the Service Manager to go ahead and throw in a couple of purge valves and they flashed me a "knowing" look of surprise. I also discussed the rules of the lemon law ... I don't think they like me already!!! Hey ... we'll see. I love the car!
  • awesome...i hope the mazda gods look down upon u ;) ...i really hope you got a good one! happy driving!
    Im wondering if maybe the solved the problem on the 07s? Or if it dosent start till the car has so many miles on it?