Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Hello,

I was driving my Mazda two days ago on the hwy and I was coming into some traffic and started to come to a stop when the following warning lights came on, check engine, oil, and battery. Immediately after the car shut off. The dealer said they had no idea but they stated that there is new software for the car and updated it. Has anybody experienced this problem or have any idea on what it could be? Thanks
  • dinaura, can you give us a little more detail of what your son-in-law was attempting? Why would he "pull some fuses" to install door sills? Was he running wires under the door sills for some reason? "

I'm guessing they were the aftermarket metal sills with light up "MAZDA3" on them - they have to be connected to the interior lights
  • Hello all,

Have a 2006 Mazda 3i with manual transmission (M/T). With the weather in DC finally getting cold, I noticed that the shift from 1st to 2nd gear is very rough, can sometimes feel the grinding, when the car is cold. This usually goes away after some driving, after the car has warmed up. The shift is fine in warm weather, and other shifts (2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc) are find when it's cold. I'm just wondering if anyone with a M/T has something similar happening to their M/Ts in cold weather.

I'm not too concerned, as my previous car ('95 Mitsubishi Mirage LS) had a similar issue, and a friend with a '05 Subaru WRX complains about a similar thing as well.

Is this just the oil in the gearbox not being warm and therefore thin enough to lube the gears, or should I go to the dealer to have this checked out?
  • brodie2brodie2 Posts: 32
    Search this forum under "stalling problems". You'll find that there is lots of posts on this problem. Save yourself a hole bunch of headaches and get rid of the car. This problem has existed way back on the 2004s and Mazda has yet to come up with a fix.
  • asdasd Posts: 3
    What is the proper way to read the dipstick on an 07 Mazda3? Is it to hold the dipstick horizontally and let the oil that has collected in the "catch" at the bottom of the dipstick work its way up toward the "FULL" line...or hold it vertically?
  • Are you a dealer?
  • asdasd Posts: 3
    No...

Just trying to figure it out.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Posts: 273
    Well, I wouldnt go as far as getting rid of the car because of the stalling problem...I have come to expect the car to stall at the worst possible time and then I would pop the gear into neutral and start the car again.
  • brodie2brodie2 Posts: 32
    Well you better hope that it doesn't stall in the middle of a busy intersection or on a highway ramp like it did to me. Stalling is a dangerous problem and you could very easily be involved in an accident because of it - affecting your life, someone elses and even your insurance rates - so yes, I believe that Stalling is a big and serious issue - this probem has been around for 2 years now - what exactly is Mazda doing to correct the problem? So to me, having a problem that Mazda won't fix is a great reason to get rid of the car. My life is worth much more. Something for you to consider.
  • brodie2, I see where your now posting on the Honda Civic issues and solutions board. Did you buy a new Civic & get rid of your 3?
  • Its kind of hard just to get rid of a car when I just bought it brand new from a dealer a month ago. How often has it happened to you? Has anyone seen anykind of pattern?
  • slimphil 18, type the word "stalling" into the "search this discussion" window below. Good luck!
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    My suggestion: Monitor your drive for the next couple of weeks watching for signs of problems but don't frighten yourself. Your model is not new to the market and has benefitted from the pains that others have gone through. Consumer Reports rates the car as one of the most reliable. That does not make it perfect nor guarantee that you will never have a problem but it does mean that there are thousands of other drivers in similar vehicles who have had years of reliable service. In an article last year in Consumer Reports, Toyota, Honda and various other beacons of reliability were cited with problems in their initial years. We all know that these manufacturers are at the apex of vehicle dependability, but even they have their problems and, especially with new models. I am pleased to confess that my Mazda is over four years old and is as wonderful as the day I bought it. :)
    This is the procedure from the Mazda Protege service manual that I have been using for my Mazda Protege5:

"ENGINE OIL INSPECTION
    1. Position the vehicle on level ground.
    2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature and stop it.
    3. Wait for 5 min.
    4. Remove the dipstick and inspect for oil level and condition. Verify that the oil level is within the F and L marks on the dipstick."
  • autonomous, pardon me, but this is not the My Mazda 3 is Wonderful board, it's the Mazda 3 Problems and Solutions board. I'm glad you have a problem free car but the rest of us don't. So, we will panic if we choose
    The last time I checked on JD Power's website, the Mazda3 was NOT listed as a reliable car in terms of mechanical reliability. :sick:
    Well you better hope that it doesn't stall in the middle of a busy intersection or on a highway ramp like it did to me. Stalling is a dangerous problem and you could very easily be involved in an accident because of it - affecting your life, someone elses and even your insurance rates - so yes, I believe that Stalling is a big and serious issue - this probem has been around for 2 years now - what exactly is Mazda doing to correct the problem? So to me, having a problem that Mazda won't fix is a great reason to get rid of the car. My life is worth much more. Something for you to consider.

Good point....I suppose that's what Mazda is waiting to happen: a lawsuit. I do think that Mazda, unlike Honda or Toyota has a "Godzilla" mentality to only "react" when something bad happens...they are NOT proactive, that is for sure.

Fortunately, in my case, mine has stalled at low speeds and the person behind me would be charged if he hits me because they were following to close. However, that's no consolation, the problem is still fairly common. Unfortunately, it's difficult to recreate.

I am almost certain that Mazda would rather payout individual claims such as rear end accidents instead of doing a complete recall of the Mazda3's. They already had a rough year or two with their recall of their Mazda5's. That should tell you something about their engineers' competence.
  • nifty56nifty56 Posts: 279
    What year and month did you buy your Mazda3?
    on JD Power's website, the Mazda3 was NOT listed as a reliable car in terms of mechanical reliability.

Could that be because no car is rated in terms of mechanical reliability by JD Power? I could not find "mechanical reliability" anywhere in their site.

The JD Power site lists Mechanical Quality for the first 90 days and Performance.

"Mechanical Quality - Manufacturing: Taken from the Initial Quality Study (IQS), which looks at owner-reported problems in the first 90 days of new-vehicle ownership, this score is based on problems with the engine or transmission as well as problems that affect the driving experience (i.e., vehicle/brakes pull, abnormal noises or vibrations) only."

"Performance: This component of APEAL is based on owner satisfaction with the vehicle's powertrain and suspension systems, including acceleration, handling stability, braking performance, and shift quality."

JD Powers rates the 2006 Mazda3 as "the rest" (i.e. lower than the rating "about average") in the Mechanical Quality-Manufacturing category and as "better than most" in the Perfrmance category.