Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• guskimguskim Posts: 112
    You rear pads & rotors were worn already?!? How many miles have you racked up your Mazda3? Whatever it is, it sounds way too soon for that.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Only some with rear disc brakes though. None of the earlier Proteges with rear drums had an issue with the parking brake cables sticking.

I think some moisture may get in there and freeze (literally) the parking brake cables. I'm not sure of the situation with the 3, but on the Protege/P5, the end of the cable points upwards. There are rubber boots covering them, but I'm sure some dirt and moisture gets in there, which may cause the cables or mechanisms to stick.
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    I have heard many Mazda3 owners observing more brake dust on the rear than front. Though none of them reports the pad worn out.

There is a believable speculation that this is tie to the ABS. Hence my question above.
  • wongpreswongpres Posts: 422
    The N. American-spec Mazda3 issues have been (in order of prevalency):

- airbag light
    - CEL light
    - extreme pitting on brake rotors

My dealer just called me on Monday, my Mazda3 factory order was submitted last week, so I'm looking at a Jan or Feb build. It'll be interesting to see if these issues have been fixed at the factory yet.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I will do the first oil change at 3,000 miles then will change every 4-5 months which for me should be about 3,500 miles. Since I do alot of short trips, in hot weather, stop and go Houston traffic I will go more by time than by miles.

I have always said - I would never buy a 4 door car, never buy a car with 4 cylinder engine and would never buy a black car.

Since I just bought a black Mazda 3 4 door sedan I guess I will need to rethink my position.

We started off wanting white, then silver then blue then gray and finally went with black. So much for trying to get my wife and daughter involved in the selection! The way I look at it - compared to my full size X-cab pick up and Tahoe the Mazda 3 will be easy to wash - I can even reach the top of the car without using the step stool!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I know brake rotors all rust (supposed to), but I wonder what threshold Mazda is using as a measure.
  • psymnpsymn Posts: 5
    To answer a few questions posted

Yeas my car as ABS, it also has 17 inch wheels. When I took the car in to the dealer it had 750 miles on it.

If the hand brake cable is getting stuck or frozen I don't know how. Honestly the only time that it has been used was when the dealer parked it and gave me the keys. I did drive about 3 feet and then took the brake off.

That being said, I don't know how much the weather in atlanta could have effected the cable. I has only been below freezing 3 days since we bought the car. And I'm pretty certain that the ABS has never engaged, I would have noticed it in the pedal vibration and noise, right?
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    One of the speculation is that the ABS-equipped cars has EBD (Electronic for distribution), and the EBD might put more brake-force on the rear, even during normal braking in order to minimize nose diving.
  • psymnpsymn Posts: 5
    It is possible that EBD could redistribute the braking to the rear wheels, but I am still not convinced. I think that the dealer would have listed this on the sticker as a feature, and maybe even an option(more money).

Also, the front wheels are clean, and I mean shiny. I'll try to post phots of the difference later. Even if EBD activated the rears more, wouldn't the wheels show about equal amounts of dust, since normal brakes have more front than rear?

I did a check on the GA lemon law today. One major repair on the brakes or two minor repairs in 12,000 miles and I get a replacement or refund. Maybe that will be motivation for mazda to fix this problem. I have checked a couple of other owner forums and I don't think that I am the only persono with this problem.
  • guskimguskim Posts: 112
    "I have always said - I would never buy a 4 door car, never buy a car with 4 cylinder engine and would never buy a black car. Since I just bought a black Mazda 3 4 door sedan I guess I will need to rethink my position. "

Hahaha. Sometimes your positions can change in that showroom, eh? Especially when the whole family is involved.

Well, you picked a good one to "break" the rules on. And Houston doesn't salt its road very much either, so you should be fine with black
  • I just got my mazda 3 last week. I noticed the brake dust last night which is why I am researching today. I went out to the car just now after reading your post to check the rotors. The right rear brake rotor already has grooves in it and is NOT supposed to. Also the right left rotor has slight indents in it also. I have just under 500 miles on it. I'll be taking it in next week.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Anyone notice that the front and rear rotors are designed differently?

The front is like two discs that have been welded together - they have a space between them. This is what I consider normal - it is the way all three of my other vehicles brakes (front and rear) are designed.

The back is just one solid disc - no spacers. This may be normal - but I have never seen this design before. IMO - it would not handle heat as well as the front design - but in a normal situations I would think that more heat is generated in the front.

I only have 180 miles on my car - so it may be to soon to see any problem.

Brake dust on the wheels is normal - although it usually shows up more on the front than the rear. You will see more dust when the pads are new - but as the pads wear the dust must go somewhere.

The rear brakes do make more noise - kind of a "scrubbing" sound - when I stop - but I expect that will go away once the pads and rotor get broken in.
  • The difference is that the front discs are vented, the rears are not. The "vents" are the airspaces in the fronts. This is a pretty popular configuration, but nevertheless, could explain why the rears are wearing so fast, if the EBD is applying too much force there.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Very few cars have ventilated discs in the rear, most are solid.
  • I am pretty sure they should not have grooves in the rotor surface brake dust or no brake dust.. That is not a good sign at all with under 500 miles on it.
  • jc106jc106 Posts: 8
    My wife and I picked up our Mazda 3, five door on wednesday night. This morning when she started the car the Tire Pressure warning light came on. After a visual inspection revealed no gross problems she drove to work (2 miles). As she arrived at work the light went off spontaneously.

I have a feeling this system may be a service department money maker, but beyond that, any ideas why this would happen in a car with 50 miles on it? Also, it was cold overnight (0 degrees F).

Thanks
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    Brake rotors with grooves after only a few hundred miles on a new car is very abnormal. I would take it to the dealer and ask for new rotors and pads. If they refuse, I would contact Mazda Customer Support.