Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• igozoomzoom, You mention you do your service regularly and personally. How did you void your warranty? What after market mods did you perform on your engine? - No matter how minor you may feel they were.

I find it hard to believe a new engine wouldn't be covered under warranty unless they felt there had been unlicensed/hobiest tinkering -- hence the request for past maintenance records.

Maybe this is going too far but your screen name has zoomzoom in it and you mention a sportscar, RX8. Come'on, what did you do to this car that didn't work out as planned. ;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    I'd like to hear the other side of this story...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ER -- my mistake, avlmzda3 I'm replying to you. So my zoomzoom and RX8 comment is null.
  • I have also had a very bad experience with Honda. An 06 Pilot that I could not keep out of their shop. the service department was okay but the management at the dealership offered me to trade it back to them for $3k and the regional and national honda people refused to do anything beyond offering me an extended waranty (this car needed that and more)

I am thinking of the mazda3 i touring. Where was that great dealer that you dealt with? I am in the boston area (south).

Do you know if the marginal safety ratings of the 3 are with or without side curtain airbags?
    Do you know if the marginal safety ratings of the 3 are with or without side curtain airbags?

Without.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Sorry, this might sound dumb but i wanted to know... Early this morning driving in a residential area (speed limit 35), a family member using my car, got a flat tire. The thing is that i know that they were not driving over speed limit (slow driver) so is it possible for the flat driving 35 mph to cause a split in a alloy wheel? Also, the side of my bumper "unhooked" from the body which of course caused the bottom of it to get scraped! :mad: The thing i don't get is (on my old Protege) when a tire blew driving on the freeway, it did not cause damage like this; my wheel just had some minor scratches and nothing happened to the body of the car.
    Also, several months ago, my TPMS light went on & i had Mazda check it & all 4 tires were below pressure; is that weird a thing to have all 4? I hope i don't have bad tires.
  • Sounds like they hit a pothole doesn't it?
    Possibly but the funny thing is that i drove the same route earlier in the day & don't ever remember seeing any potholes. it's a newer area so the road is nice. ???
    All i can say is that this is a expensive flat tire!
    Also, several months ago, my TPMS light went on & i had Mazda check it & all 4 tires were below pressure; is that weird a thing to have all 4? I hope i don't have bad tires.

The tire pressures were probably adjusted while the ambient air temperature was very warm. As the ambient temperature drops so does the tire pressure- which is what I suspect happened in your case.

Possibly but the funny thing is that i drove the same route earlier in the day & don't ever remember seeing any potholes. it's a newer area so the road is nice. ???

Are there any high curbs?

• Has anyone out there done maintenace @ the 48,000 mile mark. just curious what was done and the approx cost. I have a '06 Mazda 3 sedan 2.5l Grand touring. Also, need new tires soon, anu ideas? thanks. Joe
  • I live in Nj. there are some places that put Nitrogen in the tires. Nitrogen supposedly does not expand or contract with ambient temp. Just once in Nov, it went from 60 deg to less then 30 in 24 hours.
    No high curbs either. Just nice smooth, wide roads.
    I've heard about nitrogen too. The Toyota near me uses nitrogen & Costco.
    What happens if your tire blows out, will it explode? :D
    I was thinking of getting nitrogen put into my tires.

*Thank you guys for the replies! (I guess i have a slight case of bad luck!)
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I've been doing nitrogen in my tires for about 9 months now. I'll have to do a follow up to this blog entry, but it about covers my thoughts on it...

Nitrogen: A Noble Gas?

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Great blog! Please keep us updated. It'll be great info to have!

*Okay, thanks again to everyone who replied to my post! :)
    I found out today how all the damage happened. Even though she was driving at a low speed, it happened while taking a turn...
    I need to replace the rim (which got bent, not split; i saw it at night) & tire. Then have to go to the body shop to repair the bumper & paint; a piece of it came off so can't "pop it back in". Oh well... sh** happens.
  • Ah, so she did hit something. That's what I thought. Probably a curb.
  • A dealer is telling me that I have an issue with loose butterflies in my intake. I am not sure that I believe them. Should an engine light go on? On my 2004 Mazda 3 there is a clicking noise when I am idling and you can hear it up until 1500 rpm. When you rev the engine above that there is no noticable difference. Do you think this could be the issue? How much did and should it cost you to get the intake manifold replaced (they quoted me 850)? Is there anyway to test this before having someone work on the car?
  • check this out: (it's for 2003 but maybe also 2004)

(from Wikipedia)

"the 2003 Mazda Protege had a critical recall involving loose screws in the intake manifold entering the combustion chamber and damaging the engine, sometimes irrecoverably. The culprit screws come from the two butterfly valve systems housed in the intake manifolds of almost all 2.0 litre third-gen Proteges. Not all 2003 models were affected, a dealership can check based on your VIN. The recall issue has been reported to happen to some outside of the recall range, with limited success obtaining repairs from the dealership."

If I were you I'd mention the recall and stamp your feet up and down. Are you the original owner? Maybe you could call Mazda and ask for repair assistance on their goof-up, even though you are probably out of warranty by now.
  • m3fan3m3fan3 Posts: 27
    hi i have a 2006 mazda 3 s grand touring with the bose cd changer. the cd changer is acting but working. and the car's warranty is done. so i was planning on replacing the changer myself since i have replaced a changer on a mazda mpv before. now my qeustion is does the mazda 3 have a code i gotta enter on the unit after i install it to unlock it??? i heard some cars like the honda accord for instance have a code you gotta enter to get the unit working. the mpv did not have code to enter but i was just wondering if the mazda 3 does.

thanks