Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Have not seen anything crazy in gas usage. The only symptoms for me was noise. Pre Engine replacement in the Spring '07: never tracked gas mileage. Pre Intake Manifold replacement in January '08: tracked highway mileage was pretty close to 30MPG - 27MPG highway. I have my first 3K oil change tomorrow. Want them to check engine a 2,500 rpm - seems rough but I could be paranoid now.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Posts: 103
    Okay, i got my wheel alignment done & all tires are properly inflated; i'm still experiencing increased fuel consumption. What else could be the cause?
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    See message 4252 for some structural problems.
    When you say increased fuel consumption what exactly does that mean (i.e. what were you expecting to see and what do you get).
    I wrote all that down for when i get the chance to take my car in again...
    I just noticed that since the incident, my car is eating more gas than normal. I just filled up the other day and didn't drive much afterward and a quarter tank was already gone. Usually it takes more driving for it to go down that much. :confuse:
    I just filled up the other day and didn't drive much afterward and a quarter tank was already gone. Usually it takes more driving for it to go down that much

Interesting. Yesterday, I was listening to a mechanic on TV explain how the colder air in winter requires the engine to consume more gas.

I believe fuel efficiency should be measured over a long period (e.g. one year) to get a realistic reading. My Protege5 has been averaging 25mpg for several years until one week it plummeted to under 20; it was quickly evident that I had a problem, turned out to be the EGR valve. I agree with you that the next time you have your car serviced that you mention your fuel consumption concerns to your mechanic.
    Thanks for your input! I will it mention next time my car goes in...

At least i know it's not the weather, where i am, we've been in the 70's & yesterday almost 80. :blush:
  • :) Hello Roadburner and other Speed3 and Mazda3 owners. I am happy to report that I've just returned from the dealer with my repaired car. To recap, I own a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 in stock condition which began smoking with only 5000 miles and progressively got worse until I took it to the dealer for repairs @ 6500 miles. The dealer replaced the turbo and all associated parts under warranty. All I can say is " WOW, this car never felt like this before".
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,293
    The dealer replaced the turbo and all associated parts under warranty. All I can say is " WOW, this car never felt like this before".

Glad to hear it. Mine is still good at 13K.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• The problem is I did the same thing and no matter what style RainX you get they all will not fit. I don't know why. The ones I reccomend are the Anco Contuors. They work great and look great.
  • nocentsnocents Posts: 1
    Mazdazoom, I just have a question as to where you got your ''speed sensor'' or the pulse generator from. I'm having a hard time finding either. Maybe from a dealership? :confuse:
  • mazdazoommazdazoom Posts: 43
    Yup, dealership. I paid about $120 for the speed sensor, and about $60 for the pulse generator. I think the pulse generator was the main culprit but since I was in there and had the parts I just replaced both of them, it was super easy. Just remove the battery box and you have access to the pulse generator on the top of the tranny, and i actuall went under the car on the bottom of the tranny and replaced the speed sensor. Both are held in place with one bolt/nut, use your jack stands etc and be safe :). Good luck.
  • jdh008jdh008 Posts: 3
    Hey guys...I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with about 6000 miles on it. I had the tire pressure light come on about two months ago. I filled the low tire up and it went off. Three weeks later it came on again. Same story. Three weeks later it did it again. After monitoring it for the last couple times it has done this, I've noticed that it loses about 5 psi a week in that front passenger side tire. There is no damage to the tire and no nail or anything stuck in the tire as far as I can tell. The leak just seems so slow for it to be any serious damage. Maybe it's a valve stem problem. I'm guessing the best thing is just to take it in? Is this completely uncommon?
    There is no damage to the tire and no nail or anything stuck in the tire as far as I can tell. The leak just seems so slow for it to be any serious damage. Maybe it's a valve stem problem. I'm guessing the best thing is just to take it in? Is this completely uncommon?

A tire on my Wrangler lost air at an even lower rate and it was a nail. As for the valve stem, try brushing some soapy water on the stem and see if it bubbles.You can buy an inexpensive valve stem core removal tool as well as replacement cores if that is the problem.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 461
    I agree 5 psi per week is too much. I'd take it to a Discount Tire or some such place and have it check out. There very well could be a small nail that you don't see, or a valve stem problem as roadburner noted. Either way you're probably looking at less than $20. Let us know what you decide.
    There very well could be a small nail that you don't see, or a valve stem problem as roadburner noted.

... or you could have run over something sharp that caused the damage and then dislodged. The water bubbles test is what my garage used to find my leak.
    I am still having issues with my tire pressure. Pretty much every week i have it check and at least 1 is low. Just had it checked at Discount Tire several days ago and 2 of them were low; the lowest one was my newest tire. I told them about the issue i was having and they checked my tires and found nothing. Also there haven't been any changes in weather temps. It's kinda of annoying problem for a newer car. Keep us posted pls!
  • jdh008jdh008 Posts: 3
    So here's the exciting conclusion. I took it to the dealer and at first they said it was a small nail and it was fixed. I drove it away but had low pressure again the very next morning. I took it back where they told me that they had been looking at the wrong tire yesterday. So they either lied about the nail to make it look like they had fixed something or there happened to be a nail in another tire. When the service consultant came back he told me that they couldn't find a puncture or anything but they re-mounted the tire and replaced the valve stem core. That is up to the minute and I'm going to find out tomorrow morning whether or not the issue is resolved. I'll keep ya posted.
  • Please do let us know - I have the exact same problem with similiar circumstances. I have a 2007 Mazda 3 5-door. The right front tire continues to trigger the TPMS, for me it's about every 3-4 weeks. When I check it, it is slightly low - around 27psi. I fill it back to 32psi and a few weeks later it happens again. I have sprayed the tire with soapy water (and the valve stem) and found no bubbles. It seems to be gradual (just over 1psi per week). I have hesitated to take it into a tire dealer until I determine where the TPMS sensor is mounted. (I don't want an uninformed mechanic to loose the sensor it if my tire has to be removed from the wheel). It's done this now for several months - it doesn't seem to be getting any worse (or any better).
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Battery finally died Friday night when the wife was out alone...thank G-d for that roadside assistance...got to her in about 30 minutes. Replaced the battery with an Interstate one the next morning. Lucky to get that many months down here in South Florida.
    Almost at the 45k mark and only have 1 oil change left on the prepaid maintenance policy that we bought. Would I do it again...? NO! But the wife said she'd do it in a heartbeat with her next car. She said it made her get the car serviced on a more regular basis.
    Will definitely be going back to the 5k or 6k oil change interval after the policy ends.

The Sandman :)
    Will definitely be going back to the 5k or 6k oil change interval after the policy ends.

Your naturally aspirated engine should do fine with that interval; I've been running Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Mazdaspeed and the used oil analysis indicates that 5K intevals are fine.